Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

A friend of a friend of a friend who works in old trafford reckons strong interest in Cavani....

Take that as you will, i dont care...

Dont shoot the messenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If Falcao, Rooney and RVP had to constantly come deep for the ball and be completely nullified I somehow doubt it'll be any different with Cavani. Someone who has the dribbling skill to turn and cause a problem for defenders through the middle is needed. A physical finisher like Cavani I'd have doubts over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Liam O wrote: »
    If Falcao, Rooney and RVP had to constantly come deep for the ball and be completely nullified I somehow doubt it'll be any different with Cavani. Someone who has the dribbling skill to turn and cause a problem for defenders through the middle is needed. A physical finisher like Cavani I'd have doubts over.

True and all but somehow i think LVG sees fellaini as an important player in the team seeing as he did so well last season( where would Cavani fit in is anyones guess) but a front 4/5 of depay, rooney,Cavani,Mata,DiMaria doesnt sound so bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The phrase red tops makes me chuckle. Always makes me thing of gingers.

Always makes me think of them hard streets of Baltimore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

zerks wrote:
    Morning papers:

Daily Star: United to step up their bid to get Muller.

The Sun: RVP felt 'betrayed' by LVG.

Mirror: RVP and De Gea to stay behind as United head Stateside so deals can be concluded over the weekend.

Express: United want £10 million for Evans,the signing of Ramos has hit a snag.

You could not have chosen a worse selection of papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

A friend of a friend of a friend who works in old trafford reckons strong interest in Cavani....

Dont shoot the messenger

I won't take that at all. Not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Dont shoot the messenger

Two of my cousins actually do work in Old Trafford........

They don't know sh*t...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sid Lowe again says that Ramos does want to join United, but any deal would be complex, for the simple reason that Real Madrid don't want to sell.
    He is expecting another bid from United to come soon for Ramos.

It seems it will be very difficult to make Ramos to United a reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,409 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sid Lowe again says that Ramos does want to join United, but any deal would be complex, for the simple reason that Real Madrid don't want to sell.
    He is expecting another bid from United to come soon for Ramos.

It seems it will be very difficult to make Ramos to United a reality.
    Which is why I think it only happens if ramos publicly pushes for it himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I've never had any expectations of Ramos joining United. It all sems a bit too difficult to complete.

Hope Otamendi is still in our sights. That's one I am expecting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

otamendi all the way choo choo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭paulbok

sigmundv wrote: »
    You could not have chosen a worse selection of papers.

Daily Mail says hello.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

just found out Dennis Irwin is visiting the business park i work in in cork today after 11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

magnumbud wrote: »
    just found out Dennis Irwin is visiting the business park i work in in cork today after 11 :D

There better be beers there for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

My brother's girlfriend's uncle's bank manager lives on the same street as Woodward and he reckons Di Maria will stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

My half sister's foster dad's drinking buddies shih tzu goes to the same vet as Woodward's Doberman. He was in there getting neutered the other day and reckons he overheard that we are showing some interest in Bale.

A bids going in any day know he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

With Falcao gone back, RVP on the way I wonder who we will get in.

Do we reckon VG is allowing them to go as he will be going with a one forward/striker formation? Rooney and Wilson the options. Surely another will be brought in but do people expect a world class big name signing?

Honestly I'd be happy if we are going with a one striker formation. We've so many good midfielders and I'd love to see Mata starting in between the CM and ST and then of course Di Maria and Depay and Herrera in CM if possible.

If he is to go with this formation and have Rooney as the lone striker I would be completely fine with him bringing a decent striker in just as back up for Rooney and then let Wilson and the new striker compete it out. I know loads wan't a big name signing but it's just my opinion on it.

Though, if VG is looking at playing a lot a two striker formation I would definetely want a big player brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I get the new signing feeling I think ED is going to be busy this weekend I hope he is on time and half or even double pay....

par.jpg

loads of room on my train :):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Adamocovic wrote: »
    With Falcao gone back, RVP on the way I wonder who we will get in.

Do we reckon VG is allowing them to go as he will be going with a one forward/striker formation? Rooney and Wilson the options. Surely another will be brought in but do people expect a world class big name signing?

Honestly I'd be happy if we are going with a one striker formation. We've so many good midfielders and I'd love to see Mata starting in between the CM and ST and then of course Di Maria and Depay and Herrera in CM if possible.

If he is to go with this formation and have Rooney as the lone striker I would be completely fine with him bringing a decent striker in just as back up for Rooney and then let Wilson and the new striker compete it out. I know loads wan't a big name signing but it's just my opinion on it.

Though, if VG is looking at playing a lot a two striker formation I would definetely want a big player brought in.

There is absolutely no way that LVG is planning to have striking options of Rooney & Wilson, unless Wilson has been on the PEDs all summer.

There better be beers there for him

i'll just dash to the shop. :cool:

I'll ask him about the positivity train

• Advertisement

this is why I was arguing Danny Ings at what will be a relatively cheap fee would have been a decent purchase for United.

There is absolutely no way that LVG is planning to have striking options of Rooney & Wilson, unless Wilson has been on the PEDs all summer.

Where did I say that? I said he would bring in another obviously but questioning the quality of the other player brought in. Will it be a world class big name player or is he planning on playing one up front so he will bring in a decent striker that can backup Rooney, a player at the level of Ings or Austin rather than Benzema Muller level.

this is why I was arguing Danny Ings at what will be a relatively cheap fee would have been a decent purchase for United.

True, it will really depend a lot on the formation he plans on using in my mind to what player I would want us to bring in.

Anyone know the time of the conference today, no doubt he will be bombarded with De Gea and transfer questions and no doubt he won't give much away either :pac:

True, it will really depend a lot on the formation he plans on using in my mind to what player I would want us to bring in.

Anyone know the time of the conference today, no doubt he will be bombarded with De Gea and transfer questions and no doubt he won't give much away either :pac:

3pm I think.

Was on Football365 today and saw them talking about Evans being sold, obviously them talking about gossip is just a bit of a laugh so don't take it has solid proof :P I just found the paragraph funny
    GOOD EVANS...
    Manchester United have slapped a £10m price tag on defender Jonny Evans, report the good people of the Daily Mirror and Daily Express.

After you've wiped up the spat out tea from your desk, yes £10m, and West Brom are apparently keen on the defender, who only has one year left on his contract, presumably not at that price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Stoke City have agreed with Chelsea £8 million for Begovic with Marco van Ginkel heading to Stoke on loan.

That's one of the possible DDG replacements off the list should he leave. Begovic is a good keeper. I'm surprised he's happy to be a bench warmer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11730281/Chelsea-transfer-news-Asmir-Begovic-poised-to-complete-8million-move-to-Stamford-Bridge-on-Friday.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ings isn't better than Hernandez who's still on the books. A Huntelaar type signing I could get on board with. Cheap enough and able to give some pointers to Wilson. Getting rid of RVP for him is a backwards step though I feel. Maybe LVG sees Fellaini as a striking option now which I'd disagree with but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Anybody think hell just get a cheap striker to fill the bench, somebody like huntelaar?

Or another dutch striker

Ings isn't better than Hernandez who's still on the books. A Huntelaar type signing I could get on board with. Cheap enough and able to give some pointers to Wilson. Getting rid of RVP for him is a backwards step though I feel. Maybe LVG sees Fellaini as a striking option now which I'd disagree with but who knows?

I reckon VG might have said to RVP about the possibility of Rooney starting lone striker and RVP back up and helping Wilson but RVP probably wants first team football as he is so used to it in his career. The idea of a backup probably doesn't appeal to him.

I agree Huntelaar type signing would be fine for me, provided we are going with a lone striker formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

A Huntelaar type signing I could get on board with.

2 of us post the same player at the same time.

It happening lads, ALLLLLL ABOARDDDD

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Danny Ings.....

Have some of you not being reading the rumour pages?
    We are replacing RVP with Thomas Muller...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

magnumbud wrote: »

Which park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

off topic but Asamoah Gyan has signed a 2 year contract at Shangai SIPG worth £227,000 a week making him one of the worlds highest paid players!!!

just let that sink in for a minute :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Stoke City have agreed with Chelsea £8 million for Begovic with Marco van Ginkel heading to Stoke on loan.

That's one of the possible DDG replacements off the list should he leave. Begovic is a good keeper. I'm surprised he's happy to be a bench warmer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11730281/Chelsea-transfer-news-Asmir-Begovic-poised-to-complete-8million-move-to-Stamford-Bridge-on-Friday.html

He wasn't great last season. Stoke fans aren't too bothered with him leaving with says a lot imo.

In Butland they have v promising replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

bangkok wrote: »
    off topic but Asamoah Gyan has signed a 2 year contract at Shangai SIPG worth £227,000 a week making him one of the worlds highest paid players!!!

In fairness, his goals-per-game figure in the league over the last 3 years is identical to Messi's. :pac:

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Which park?

UTC park in curraheen. doing some Q&A with the staff of sky/abtran. if only i worked for them :(

Trond wrote: »
    He wasn't great last season. Stoke fans aren't too bothered with him leaving with says a lot imo.

In Butland they have v promising replacement

Butland looks like a good prospect and has a decent amount of experience for his age, stoke handled him well since signing him i think. Two clean sheets end of last season helped him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

bangkok wrote: »

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is it so surprising that LVG might want to go with only one big name striker? It seems to be the common model at big clubs these days, to have one main striker supported by deeper laying players like Bale and Muller who can also fill in up top in an emergency.

Madrid had Benzema and our reserve striker. Bayern have Lewandowski and then ???? as a back up. Why would it be a shock for us to only have Rooney as our main striker with a tier 2/3 striker as a back up? Personally I don't think we will be buying another expensive world class striker, and I don't think we need to. It will be a squad player, with the real money invested in a player like Bale or Muller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Is it so surprising that LVG might want to go with only one big name striker? It seems to be the common model at big clubs these days, to have one main striker supported by deeper laying players like Bale and Muller who can also fill in up top in an emergency.

Madrid had Benzema and our reserve striker. Bayern have Lewandowski and then ???? as a back up. Why would it be a shock for us to only have Rooney as our main striker with a tier 2/3 striker as a back up? Personally I don't think we will be buying another expensive world class striker, and I don't think we need to. It will be a squad player, with the real money invested in a player like Bale or Muller.

Kinda feel the above might be right. Rooney as no.. We will be playing with one striker and one striker only.

Any new striker won't be a big name, as a big name won't come to play second fiddle to Rooney.

And Rooney doesn't work anywhere but up front.

• Advertisement

I tend to agree with you but its the common feeling with united fans that Rooney is not good enough to lead the line and we need a big name striker.
    Id like to see us get someone in that has potential and give Rooney a season upfront on his own if that's the tactics we are going to go with.

I just dont see Wilson been good enough as back up he needs to be sent out for experience and see how good he is really but he won't be given a proper run at united.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Butland looks like a good prospect and has a decent amount of experience for his age, stoke handled him well since signing him i think. Two clean sheets end of last season helped him.

I remember watching him with Birmingham and reallt wanted us to sign him. Thought he would be starter for all of last season for Stoke, by the sounds of it he will be this time around. Still 22 years old.

Looking back we did brilliantly getting De Gea he has been awesome for us and wouldn't change it, I would have loved to see us have Butland on the team.

Just out of curiosity can anyone think of how many English goalkeepers have made appearances for us in the league during the Premier League Era? That would be a good pub quiz question. We would all be able to name Foster but who else? Maybe Gary Walsh? He'd have joined United before my time but I remember watching old season review videos where he started some games, not sure if it was before or after PL era though.

Is there any other ones out there?

I remember watching him with Birmingham and reallt wanted us to sign him. Thought he would be starter for all of last season for Stoke, by the sounds of it he will be this time around. Still 22 years old.

Looking back we did brilliantly getting De Gea he has been awesome for us and wouldn't change it, I would have loved to see us have Butland on the team.

Just out of curiosity can anyone think of how many English goalkeepers have made appearances for us in the league during the Premier League Era? That would be a good pub quiz question. We would all be able to name Foster but who else? Maybe Gary Walsh? He'd have joined United before my time but I remember watching old season review videos where he started some games, not sure if it was before or after PL era though.

Sam Johnstone, our 4th choice(?) keeper at the moment was more highly rated than Butland up until Butland started getting first team football and experience with Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

MARCA apparently saying DeGea has conceded the fact that he will be going on then pre-season tour as United standing firm that they will run down his contract without Ramos being part of the deal.

It looks like Manchester United has finally grown a pair of balls in the transfer market :)

Pilkington played a few games for us, but not sure if it was PL. Remember him playing vs Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Madrid had Benzema and Hernandez yes, they also had Jese but he got injured and they also had Ronaldo who scored 61 goals for them last season.

Bayern played with Muller as a false 9/striker most of last season, they also had Lewandowski, Pizarro, Gotze who could play up there and they also had Robben who scored 19 goals last season.

We have Rooney as our only real goal getter along with Hernandez and we have to see how depay does with us.

Point is, we are still lacking that player who is guaranteed to score 20+ goals from a wide/false 9 position and if we want to do well next season we will be signing someone of that ilk. Muller/Bale would be the perfect player for us for that role, lets wait and see how it pans out

Ben Amos played once in the PL too.

So: Walsh, Foster, Pilkington, Amos. Can't think of anyone else - don't think Tony Coton made an appearance for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

My half sister's foster dad's drinking buddies shih tzu goes to the same vet as Woodward's Doberman. He was in there getting neutered the other day and reckons he overheard that we are showing some interest in Bale.

A bids going in any day know he said.

So your saying we have a chance ðŸ˜

TheDoc wrote: »
    Kinda feel the above might be right. Rooney as no.. We will be playing with one striker and one striker only.

Any new striker won't be a big name, as a big name won't come to play second fiddle to Rooney.

And Rooney doesn't work anywhere but up front.

i feel it would be good to have someone to put rooney under pressure for his spot in the team. if he looks over to the bench and sees players that are never going to take his spot in the team then he may become complacent. ideally for me we buy a mid 20s striker with the aim of taking over from rooney eventually and put him under pressure for now.

There is also the big risk of if rooney was to get injured and also putting ourselves back in the position that come time to negotiate a new contract rooney has us over a barrell

Ben Amos played once in the PL too.

So: Walsh, Foster, Pilkington, Amos. Can't think of anyone else - don't think Tony Coton made an appearance for us.

Nope coton never played in premier league I actually dont think he appeared at all for us and we still managed to make money on him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement