Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Is it so surprising that LVG might want to go with only one big name striker? It seems to be the common model at big clubs these days, to have one main striker supported by deeper laying players like Bale and Muller who can also fill in up top in an emergency.

Madrid had Benzema and our reserve striker. Bayern have Lewandowski and then ???? as a back up. Why would it be a shock for us to only have Rooney as our main striker with a tier 2/3 striker as a back up? Personally I don't think we will be buying another expensive world class striker, and I don't think we need to. It will be a squad player, with the real money invested in a player like Bale or Muller.

That's what I would like to see happen. Have Rooney up top as lone, another decent striker as backup and then possibly play Depay, Di Maria on the wings with Mata as AM and the two CMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The 2 Andy Gormans

Or 1 of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Scottish, no?

Tony Cas Scottish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭paulbok

Ben Amos played once in the PL too.

So: Walsh, Foster, Pilkington, Amos. Can't think of anyone else - don't think Tony Coton made an appearance for us.

Was Les Sealey still around when the PL started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Rafael might be off to Galatasaray.
    Everyone going to Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Ben Amos played once in the PL too.

So: Walsh, Foster, Pilkington, Amos. Can't think of anyone else - don't think Tony Coton made an appearance for us.

Did Heaton make one appearance as well?

Sam Johnstone, our 4th choice(?) keeper at the moment was more highly rated than Butland up until Butland started getting first team football and experience with Birmingham.

That's true! I still think Johnstone can perform, he has the right characteristics to be a top keeper just needs more first team games. (He looks like a loan again this year) Ben Amos was tipped too to become a regular.

Butland getting first team experience was brilliant for his progression. I didn't know about him until watching him with Birmingham and he was quality. I think he'll be one of the big performers of this coming season.

There better be beers there for him

Never understood that beer link to him,what is the story there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Otamendi deal done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rafael to Galatasary? http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/10/manchester-united-rafael-da-silva-galatasary

At this stage most of the players we clear out will be in Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    I just dont see Wilson been good enough as back up he needs to be sent out for experience and see how good he is really but he won't be given a proper run at united.

Wilson is being totally overrated on here in my opinion, he may be a good prospect but he is nowhere near good enough at the minute. Give him gametime sure, but there has to be better than him available when needed.

Hernandez remains a good option, RVP would have been perfect, but it would do no harm to have another solid backup striker available. The Chelsea model is hard to argue with, they have Costa as the number one but also the likes of Demba Ba or Loric Remy in the background. Quality players who could step in when needed but that they didn't have to break the bank to get.

paulbok wrote: »
    Was Les Sealey still around when the PL started?

Yep but no Pl appearances

Trond wrote: »
    Did Heaton make one appearance as well?

Don't think he ever played for us in proffessional match did he?

Trilla wrote: »
    Otamendi deal done?

Yes he been on a flight for past 4 days, should be least in France at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,409 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yes he been on a flight for past 4 days, should be least in France at this stage.

Same airline that flew Woodward back from Australia

Saw a tweet just an announcement is asap....followed by source not as reliable as usual.

To that I say fück the Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Saw a tweet just an announcement is asap....followed by source not as reliable as usual.

I hope its right be super signing

• Advertisement

Me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,601 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Never understood that beer link to him,what is the story there?

While celebrating the champions league final win in 1999, everyone in the dressing room was swigging champers and Irwin comes in and says "have we got any beers?" There is a video floating around youtube of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wilson is being totally overrated on here in my opinion, he may be a good prospect but he is nowhere near good enough at the minute. Give him gametime sure, but there has to be better than him available when needed.

Hernandez remains a good option, RVP would have been perfect, but it would do no harm to have another solid backup striker available. The Chelsea model is hard to argue with, they have Costa as the number one but also the likes of Demba Ba or Loric Remy in the background. Quality players who could step in when needed but that they didn't have to break the bank to get.

Yehh wilson is good but he is not first team good, he has done really well at underage level but now they need to find out can he make the strp up he needs to get regular gsme time. Everyone ssys premier league club but i dont think it would be good for him to go to a relegation threatened club it would do him more harm then good i think i decent championship club would be best someone like hull maybe.

Id keep hernandez too he is same as de gea at this stage he is not worth selling unless we get an over inflated price for him we know he wont sulk because he is a proper professional and he is mates with the Spanish players we have and he is good to hsve as backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Turkey is on my list of places not to visit. Place seems bat**** crazy. Must be good money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

" #Darmian will be in #Manchester in the afternoon: contracts just signed between @TorinoFC_1906 and @ManUtd. Good luck @DarmianOfficial ! "

Ginaluca DiMarzio reporter for Sky Sports Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Cabaye gone to Palace for ten million. Good deal for them.

mcratsix wrote: »
    Cabaye gone to Palace for ten million. Good deal for them.

Joe Kinnear says "A lot of money for a kebab"

More sources other than Bild pushing the Schweinsteiger to United story this morning,they reckon it could happen quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sport1 in Germany say if Schweinsteiger does choose to join United, a deal will be done quickly.

zerks wrote: »
    More sources other than Bild pushing the Schweinsteiger to United story this morning,they reckon it could happen quickly.

Saying muller also but i wouldnt believe them. Bayern seem more open To selling schweinsteiger then he does to moving maybe im wrong.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

seemingly a call is expected to be made this weekend after a meeting between management and BS on Saturday. Either he says he would like to leave, or like to stay, I think. If he wants to leave I reckon it will be rapped up quickly cause I don't think Bayern will fight to keep him.

Saying muller also but i wouldnt believe them. Bayern seem more open To selling schweinsteiger then he does to moving maybe im wrong.

To me it feels like a situation where neither wants rid of the other, but neither are too commited either - both waiting for the other one to dump them, as it were.

That said - I reckon if Bayern were to tell him he'll be an important first team player he will stay; but with Thiago and Martinez to come back, and a couple of new signings I think they have coming for CM, I don't think they will be able to promise him that; so he might see first choice football at United as too good to turn down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

To me it feels like a situation where neither wants rid of the other, but neither are too commited either - both waiting for the other one to dump them, as it were.

That said - I reckon if Bayern were to tell him he'll be an important first team player he will stay; but with Thiago and Martinez to come back, and a couple of new signings I think they have coming for CM, I don't think they will be able to promise him that; so he might see first choice football at United as too good to turn down.

yes and they also signed douglas costa so his game time will be further reduced

bangkok wrote: »
    yes and they also signed douglas costa so his game time will be further reduced

His game time will not be reduced by any significant level by the signing of a winger, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I know what you mean, I'm also kind of getting a sense that they are pushing him out the door. Which makes you wonder - what do they know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It isn't. LVG didn't pick 24 year old German international Schweinsteiger out of the youth team for one.
    And until Ed took over Utd never "believed in their right to sign the very best of talent". We regurlarly lost out to Barca (Ronaldhino) and Real (Benzema) and always bought promising young players with the hope that they'd develop into superstars.
    He's just making stuff up to suit his argument.

Do ypu really think he will be a regular starter for us tho? Dont get me wrong i think he is a fantastic player and would be one of the best midfielders at our club but he aint no replacement for carrick he is not defensive enough id describe him more as a forward thinking midfielder without been an attacking midfielder he would play more in anders position in my opinion but i think anders has alot more to offer then scheinsteiger.
    maybe if he does sign him it would be to play alongside schneiderlin or carrick and move anders further forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I sincerely hope we don't drop our interest in Schneiderlin if Bastian is signed. It does kinda look like we are holding off pulling the trigger on Schneidelrin for some reason. Signing the two of them would be brilliant. I just hope it's not an either or scenario.

If it was to be only one of them I would be picking Schneiderlin every time.

• Advertisement

disagree with many points in the article.

Firstly on Schweinsteiger - too young for US imo, and can still do a job for any top side. I do reckon he would be a short term option, but so was RVP in the end. Gland we took the punt though!

I don't understand how he can trumpet the signing of Ronaldo as a sign of the power United used to have (signed the summer we lost Beckham to Madrid and Ronaldinho went to Barca...) and then say Depay is a sign of our fading strength. He's a very similar signing to Ronaldo!

English clubs have, historically, not got the biggest and the best because Barca, Madrid and historicly Milan, for example, had both the money and better locations. Where did Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Zidane all play? Who are these A-list players that were lured to the PL in their prime over teams like Barca and Madrid? Who? I can't think of any.

He poitns to Sanchez at Arsenal - apparently one of the reasons Barca moved him on was because Messi didn't like him. I don't think he was kicked out because they simply didn't want him.

Bayern's team cost a pretty penny. Barca have a load of youth players but Neymar and Suarez cost absolute fortunes and Messi is costing them anything up to or over 25million per year - money is a key component of their success. Juventus have run a very tight ship, to be fair, but have splashed cash on some failures too.

astradave wrote: »
    While celebrating the champions league final win in 1999, everyone in the dressing room was swigging champers and Irwin comes in and says "have we got any beers?" There is a video floating around youtube of it

Good Irishman,none of that sissy champers muck for him!

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sport1 in Germany say if Schweinsteiger does choose to join United, a deal will be done quickly.

Mein Gott!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

It isn't. LVG didn't pick 24 year old German international Schweinsteiger out of the youth team for one.
    And until Ed took over Utd never "believed in their right to sign the very best of talent". We regurlarly lost out to Barca (Ronaldhino) and Real (Benzema) and always bought promising young players with the hope that they'd develop into superstars.
    He's just making stuff up to suit his argument.

Peter Kenyon fcuked up on that deal
    it was agreed and signed but then Kenyon tried to cut the price of the transfer and PSG told him to fup off..

Benzema was cringeworthy, he never wanted to come to United..

Quandary wrote: »
    I sincerely hope we don't drop our interest in Schneiderlin if Bastian is signed. It does kinda look like we are holding off pulling the trigger on Schneidelrin for some reason. Signing the two of them would be brilliant. I just hope it's not an either or scenario.

If it was to be only one of them I would be picking Schneiderlin every time.

............Schneiderlin........Schweinsteiger.............

..........................Herrera......................

:):):):)

2,w=308,c=0.bild.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Independent seem to think we could replace RVP with Muller, but would cost at least £60 million.They say a bid is being prepared, guess we are offering to pay in pennies and to prepare one must count the pennies, takes time...

United must have some really big name lined up with RVP set to leave.

United are also freeing up a lot of wages, and big names command big wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

What time is the press conference on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Hes on the move...

CJjOYO0XAAAuXLw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Independent seem to think we could replace RVP with Muller, but would cost at least £60 million.They say a bid is being prepared, guess we are offering to pay in pennies and to prepare one must count the pennies, takes time...

United must have some really big name lined up with RVP set to leave.

United are also freeing up a lot of wages, and big names command big wages.

Falcao £200k
    Rvp £200k
    Anderson £85k
    Nani £115k

Give or take thats £600 k saved a week or £30 million a year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

TheTownie wrote: »
    Hes on the move...

CJjOYO0XAAAuXLw.jpg

What kind of pants is your one wearing ha

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.