Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Coleman isn't as good going either way as Rafael. The green glasses are still on for some.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Born in Cork, moved to County Limerick when I was 8 and lived in Limerick City since I was 19 and I'm here - gulp - 19 years.

Explains my perfect mix of silk and steel. I'm an incredible human being in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Born in Cork, moved to County Limerick when I was 8 and lived in Limerick City since I was 19 and I'm here - gulp - 19 years.

Explains my perfect mix of silk and steel. I'm an incredible human being in fairness.

jaysus, i had it in my head you were about 21 or 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Coleman isn't as good going either way as Rafael. The green glasses are still on for some.

More goals and assists playing for a worse team and a very underrated defender. Given how attacking he can be he gets up and down the wing very well. I like Rafael, he's very good but Coleman has been consistently great since entering the league imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Things could get interesting re Di Maria
    UEFA confirm FFP restrictions on CL squad size + transfer spending lifted for Man City + PSG for next season

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/616920715795787776

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    More goals and assists playing for a worse team and a very underrated defender. Given how attacking he can be he gets up and down the wing very well. I like Rafael, he's very good but Coleman has been consistently great since entering the league imo.
    Coleman is wildly overrated because of his passport. His positioning is one factor that would worry me greatly in the Champions League. The other is his dribbling. It isn't intricate enough. I think he'd be pressed out of possession on the regular at United where he'd be expected to carry more responsibility on the ball. He's a bit push and run. He's nowhere near world class and he won't ever be. The fact that a moderate full back attacking wise in Clyne was prioritised (correctly) over him in Clyne speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Coleman is more of a liability at defending. What has he around 7 own goals for constantly trying to make last ditch tackles after getting caught out of position.

From what I've seen he's usually making last ditch tackles because other defenders have fùcked up. He's very good at sweeping up behind his defence imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Coleman is wildly overrated because of his passport. His positioning is one factor that would worry me greatly in the Champions League. The other is his dribbling. It isn't intricate enough. I think he'd be pressed out of possession on the regular at United where he'd be expected to carry more responsibility on the ball. He's a bit push and run. He's nowhere near world class and he won't ever be. The fact that a moderate full back attacking wise in Clyne was prioritised (correctly) over him in Clyne speaks volumes.

Clyne was allowed go to Liverpool, Coleman will probably be signed by United. I'm not sure that fits the definition of prioritizing Clyne over Coleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wonder how much that cost their owners...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

how do you know we were after clyne?

do you think Clyne chose Liverpool over us?

seeing as he signed for Liverpool for 12.5m I would hazard a guess that we were never in for him in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

If PSG offer crazy money for Di Maria, (in excess of what we paid for him at a minimum) I'd take it if he does want to leave

Nuts102 wrote: »
    It's somewhere in between both are very closely matched. Obviously you overate Coleman and others overate Rafael it's all about personal opinion.

I'm not saying Coleman is a million times better at attacking and defending, but I think he is an improvement in both directions.

If you agree they are very closely matched - and knowing you are a big Rafael fan - do you think signing a player who is like Rafael but who never gets injured would be a good move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

To both sets of their fans, Rafael and Coleman are equally overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Unfollow.
    I'm surrounded by culchies and jackeens.

Just as well I can handle myself/run quickly.

Put in the ol' forward slash for the Limerick heads, wha'

keane2097 wrote: »
    Clyne was allowed go to Liverpool
    Uh huh.

The Marca article today is a good read.

http://www.marca.com/en/2015/07/03/en/football/real_madrid/1435912452.html

There is no going back, Ramos desperate to leave, he wants a new challenge and he has seen how Casillas has been treated by the Bernabeu faithful and he doesn't want similar abuse.
    Ramos no longer cares what the suits at Real Madrid offer him, he just wants to get away from the club.

We better have Ramos before the CL qualifier...

Uh huh.

What do you think happened then?

RobertKK wrote: »
    We better have Ramos before the CL qualifier...

every day that passes, puts the odds of players in for that game, at risk. season kicks off 4 weeks on saturday, we'd better get our skates on.

id really like to know if this persistent talk about Adidas wanting deals announced when their deal is launched is true, though i doubt it.

surely they wouldnt hold off like this? 1 player maybe, but 2 or 3?

I wonder if LVG will go with McNair for right back along with Valencia for that position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

If only Clyne had waited the few weeks it takes us to get sorted and decide to bid. Would have been better than Coleman. But I guess Coleman is still an upgrade on Antonio Valencia so it would be a decent move. If we actually make a bid this month

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

brinty wrote: »
    If PSG offer crazy money for Di Maria, (in excess of what we paid for him at a minimum) I'd take it if he does want to leave

I wouldn't want him to go, but £100m and we can talk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

If only Clyne had waited the few weeks it takes us to get sorted and decide to bid. Would have been better than Coleman. But I guess Coleman is still an upgrade on Antonio Valencia so it would be a decent move. If we actually make a bid this month

while clyne had a better season last year i think coleman is overall a better player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    To both sets of their fans, Rafael and Coleman are equally overrated.
    Coleman is underrated by self-depreciating Irish fans and Rafael is underrated by those who only have seen him play once or twice a season. Both very good but the injuries have caught up with Raf and that won't happen Coleman until he signs for United :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

"
    12:54

GAITAN PLANNING BENFICA STAY

Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan says he has no plans to leave Benfica, amid reported interest from Atletico Madrid and Manchester United.

According to AS, Atletico are in negotiations with Benfica to sign Gaitan, but he is quoted as saying: “I have a contract with Benfica and will continue at Benfica, for sure."

We can all rest easy now. Back in your box for another transfer window Nicolas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

4 United games on sky in Aug/Sept... We take part in the first ever Friday Night game in PL History :)

CI_O0RBWoAAfEaG.jpg

CI_O2cYXAAAJnnJ.jpg

Saw United vs Spurs was a 12:45 kickoff on opening day so presumably that's on TV somewhere too.

every day that passes, puts the odds of players in for that game, at risk. season kicks off 4 weeks on saturday, we'd better get our skates on.

id really like to know if this persistent talk about Adidas wanting deals announced when their deal is launched is true, though i doubt it.

Good point, given Real Madrid are Adidas.
    It might suit a major payer to both clubs for a deal to be agreed, but leave it till the Adidas deal starts for United, is that August 1st?

De Gea has rented his Manchester home again for one month, which is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

And I think you're underrating him. Coleman has been one of the most consistent full backs in the Premiership over the last 3 years as well as showing a lot of promise in the 2 years prior to that operating between full back and the wings. People dismiss his defending largely because of these early years when in actual fact his defensive abilities are very good with Everton; it's with Ireland that things go to sh*t but that's an overall problem with the team.

And his dribbling is fine; we don't need Di Maria-quality dribbling at right back, we need a defensively solid right back who is quick in attack & can put in a good cross. You're right though, he's not world class & never will be but as far as I can tell the same can be said about almost every right back in world football right now.

In my opinion Coleman would be a big upgrade at right back for us and if we sign him I believe he would add a lot to our attacking threat down the right with the space Mata & Herrera were creating in the second half of last season. And it's not his passport that makes me think this; if anything given the quality of Irish players at the moment his passport is better off being overlooked.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Saw United vs Spurs was a 12:45 kickoff on opening day so presumably that's on TV somewhere too.
    BT

• Advertisement

Of course I remember watching Rojo against I think Liverpool? And I asked here if he could speak English yet as at least twice he bumped into Carrick and seemed unaware of his teamates movements. Watching him a few weeks later that "bumping" had stopped and he had no issues. This made sense as he had to adapt. But obviously had Rojo arrived a few weeks earlier* this may not have been as noticeable as he would have had more time to get used to his teammates. And would have been resolved sooner. If we start the season trying to bed in and gel players for the first month or so it could lead to a very slow start until players find their feet and start performing. I'd prefer to hit the ground running.

*I am aware Rojo had WC commitments so an earlier arrival wasn't practical for him.

fixtures out :)

time to start booking flights.

I'd be beyond shocked if di Maria was sold, would be a really terrible decision.

First 6 Games on TV - 4 Sky, 2 BT

Saturday 8 August - 12.45pm Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur (BT Sport)
    Friday 14 August - 7.45pm Aston Villa v Manchester United (Sky Sports)
    Saturday 22 August - 12.45pm Manchester United v Newcastle United (BT Sport)
    Sunday 30 August - 4pm Swansea City v Manchester United (Sky Sports)
    Saturday 12 September - 5.30pm Manchester United v Liverpool (Sky Sports)
    Sunday 20 September - 4pm Southampton v Manchester United (Sky Sports)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I knew there was Friday Night Football this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hopefully NSBC sports app back running for new season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Kildare Town head here :D

Don't hold it against me.

I wouldn't say I'm starting to worry re transfers, but I thought Utd would have had someone (else) in by now.

Still holding out hope for a good summer.
    No way would I be selling Di Maria.
    Get him back playing with a bit of confidence and he will tear the league apart.

A midfield trio of Schneiderlin (sp)/Carrick with Di Maria and Herrera in support of Depay Rooney and Mata could be magical..

brinty wrote: »
    If ED would sign the players i'd crack out the gifs (now I know how to do them)

I fear I will be an old man before you bust out Scarletts gif-glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'd say most would think Colemans dribbling ability and control to be some of his best attributes. And I don't understand the "wildly overrated".

I don't remember seeing anyone call Coleman the greatest right back in the world rather he's one of the best in the league. Most have commented saying he's proven he can perform at top level in this league and would be an improvement on our current predicament. He's been a brilliant player in his time in the league and I don't see why he couldn't be for us.

The people who keep bringing up this "overrated" label on him seem to be comparing him with some fictional idea that most people have been going around calling him the best defender in the world and keep throwing this idea that because he's Irish we rate him higher than he is.

The thing is nearly everyone who watches the premiership (english and foreign pundits included) rate him highly as one of the best in league. I see so many people calling him overrated and very few actually rating him any higher than he is.

Let's not go crazy here, no one is saying he is the best right back out there, but that hes a great right back that could improve our team. Whether he is better than rafael or not you might argue but most would say he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dublins Northside ftw!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Falcao to Chelsea on a years loan has been confirmed.

• Advertisement

brinty, drop the NSFW gifs. Have warned against this before. Going back to delete such posts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

binty, drop the NSFW gifs. Have warned against this before. Going back to delete such posts now.

One last look then...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Falcao to Chelsea on a years loan has been confirmed.

Meh.
    He only had 1 shot in the copa America. I can safely say he is finished as a top striker.
    Yup, safely say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

brinty, drop the NSFW gifs. Have warned against this before. Going back to delete such posts now.

Fair enough TSC..
    Can we break out gifs when we make signings???
    Please

Thats a rather strict interpretation of NSFW. Where the heck do people here work creches? convents? She wasn't naked ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Meh.
    He only had 1 shot in the copa America. I can safely say he is finished as a top striker.
    Yup, safely say.

I have a feeling he'll perform a lot better than people expect him to.

I have a feeling he'll perform a lot better than people expect him to.

He will perform better than this year, that's for sure.
    Anyone's guess really, but utd were right to not sign him.
    His wages aren't really an issue at Chelsea or a big club so it's not a massive risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Liam O wrote: »
    Coleman is underrated by self-depreciating Irish fans and Rafael is underrated by those who only have seen him play once or twice a season. Both very good but the injuries have caught up with Raf and that won't happen Coleman until he signs for United :p

Coleman is a good right back, but some defend him with such loyalty and vehemence that they must believe he's the best thing since sliced bread. And when the argument for either side goes awry, someone just accuses somebody of being a self deprecating Irish man or having green tinted glasses on depending on what fits. He's a good right back, nothing more.

Rafael had one good stretch of playing well. But he wasn't reliable before that and hasn't been reliable since, in terms of both performances and injuries. He has his fans because of that run and he could be a good right back if he could stay injury free and develop some sort of consistency but he's not the second coming as some of those who lament his fitness appear to believe.

Thats a rather strict interpretation of NSFW. Where the heck do people here work creches? convents? She wasn't naked ffs.

Open plan offices, hardly a good thing if there is boobs on the screen and people are walking by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You might have seen these kinds of places on the television.

Lyra_670.jpg

It's where a lot of the grown ups go during the day even when you're on summer holidays.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement