Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

py2006 wrote: »
    How did Schweinsteiger play for Bayern last year? How many games did he play etc?

His age worries me.

His age is not an issue.

I was once 30/31, you still feel great, you are more mature and one's body does not start to feel a small decline until the mid 30s and even then it is just not as fast as before.
    btw still in my 30s for the record.

He played 28 games, but he missed the first few months of the season, and then he seemed to be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,662 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How did Schweinsteiger play for Bayern last year? How many games did he play etc?

His age worries me.

It varies from person to person though. There are a raft of factors that determine your ability to perform at the same level - not just age.

I think he definitely has 3 years at the top in him. He's a great player. It's good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I wonder will we see any movement on De Gea today? It all seems to be timed perfectly for his announced departure today. Cassillas gone from Madrid yesterday. Utd heading off to the States tomorrow for their pre season tour.

That would have been choreographed very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

RVP looks like he is definitely gone now , very sad to see him go.

Think it's madness to be letting the likes of Nani, RVP and presumably Evans and Rafael and replace their squad game time with the like a of adnan, Mcnair, Wilson and Blackett. It's an extremely risky strategy, one we don't need to take at all.

Think it's madness to be letting the likes of Nani, RVP and presumably Evans and Rafael and replace their squad game time with the like a of adnan, Mcnair, Wilson and Blackett. It's an extremely risky strategy, one we don't need to take at all.

That's not correct at all. It's too early to say who will take the places of RVP and Evans. Rafael will go but Utd brought in Darmian! Valencia will be Rafaels replacement. Nani wasn't even in the squad last season but even so, he's been let go and Depay has been brought in. You could say that Young/Depay are Nanis replacement in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Nani didn't even play last season and Evans, Rafael hardly played. RVP when played was not up to the mark.

I don't have issue with RVP leaving though, he was not happy with back up role and also wages are ridiculous for bench player. He was not able to stretch defense either.

Letting Nani and Rafael go would be a mistake. They both are very good players, such a shame Nani already left and Rafael might follow him to Turkey.

adox wrote: »
    That's not correct at all. It's too early to say who will take the places of RVP and Evans. Rafael will go but Utd brought in Darmian! Valencia will be Rafaels replacement. Nani wasn't even in the squad last season but even so, he's been let go and Depay has been brought in. You could say that Young/Depay are Nanis replacement in the squad.

I'm looking at it from a numbers game and you 're completely missing my point.

Forget about who is signed to play where, look at it from the perspective that when players are not available, what are the back up options?

Or I'll put it another way, would you rather that Johnny Evans plays 15 games this season or Paddy Mcnair? Would you rather have RVP as 3rd striker or Wilson?

It's all down to money I guess and perhaps our injury crisis of last season has me worried, but our squad size was too small last season for an extra 10 games and I'm not comfortable with having so much potential game time for Adnan, Mcnair and blackett which is inevitable.

Hopefully we keep Evans and Rafael and loan out two young lads and this conversation won't be necessary again!

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Nani didn't even play last season and Evans, Rafael hardly played. RVP when played was not up to the mark.

Again incorrect way of looking at it, you should look at who did play and then factor in 10 more games this year.

adnan, Wilson , Blackett and mcnair should be nowhere near our squad this year but logic suggests they will be once first team players get injured which seems to be a regular occurrence at the club

Again incorrect way of looking at it, you should look at who did play and then factor in 10 more games this year.

adnan, Wilson , Blackett and mcnair should be nowhere near our squad this year but logic suggests they will be once first team players get injured which seems to be a regular occurrence at the club

That's a different argument than you originally made. You ad them down as direct replacements for the outgoing players which just isn't correct.

• Advertisement

If Januzaj, Wilson shouldn't be anywhere near the squad then how do you expect them to improve? Anyways we are not just letting them go without replacements. We have signed Depay, Darmian so that's Nani and Rafael's positions covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is the choo choo getting derailed shortly after confirming Basti and Matteo, and still linked if you believe the media with Benteke, Otamendi and Schneiderlin?

Choooooooooo Choooooooooo!

Trilla wrote: »
    Is the choo choo getting derailed shortly after confirming Basti and Matteo, and still linked if you believe the media with Benteke, Otamendi and Schneiderlin?

Choooooooooo Choooooooooo!

Ah come off it for f*ck sake, are we not allowed to have an opinion that it's better to have Johnny Evans as an option over paddy mcnair or RVP over James Wilson?

Those young lads need to be loaned out, selling the likes of RVP and Nani could have waited a year until the young lads are ready, last season suggested they are not

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Can't wait for Bastian Schweinsteiger to be unveiled as a United player today.
    Currently having his medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

This was probably posted already but in case not, Nani's goal on his Fenerbache debut;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Any new players linked or anything since Bastian was announced yesterday? Was out and stayed up to watch fight this morning so didn't catch up with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,662 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Those young lads need to be loaned out, selling the likes of RVP and Nani could have waited a year until the young lads are ready, last season suggested they are not

Based on the trend of last season, what RVP offered was diminishing rapidly.

You can can argue can argue that he still offers more than Wilson but he wouldn't be starting often and that would affect his morale more than Wilson and possibly his impact coming off the bench, imho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    Any new players linked or anything since Bastian was announced yesterday? Was out and stayed up to watch fight this morning so didn't catch up with anything.

Some chatter about activating Benteke's release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

RobertKK wrote: »

Darmians took over a day. Basti wont be unveiled until tomoro

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Some chatter about activating Benteke's release clause.

Would ye rate Benteke or be content with a £30m deal?

Hard one this, not sure about him at all but striking options are limited enough at the moment when you see Harry Kane as a big target.

Dutch (Feyenoord) journos reporting Claise is not playing friendly as there is very serious interest from other clubs. Most believe it's from Southampton. So deduction is, Schneiderlin to ManUtd might be progressing.

• Advertisement

Hard one this, not sure about him at all but striking options are limited enough at the moment when you see Harry Kane as a big target.

Id pay 30mill for him no problem, a strong center forward that can play upfront on his own and is very strong and quick and scores plenty of goals in premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jayo26 wrote: »
    Id pay 30mill for him no problem, a strong center forward that can play upfront on his own and is very strong and quick and scores plenty of goals in premier league.

Quality available CF's are not exactly plentiful.Benteke scored goals for a woeful Villa team,he'd surely do a lot better at a team like United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I have big doubts that Benteke is good enough for utd. I find it hard to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

His age worries me.
    He is no Joe Allen:)
    354978.jpg

If a striker comes in they will know they more than likely won't be a starter so I just can't see a big name coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Definitely rate him as exactly what we need up front. 32 million would prove to be a bargain in the long run imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If he has that release clause, we aren't going to get him cheaper. But I think given we're doing well on other deals, then we can afford to pay a little over the odds for him (I'd personally say he's worth about 25m).

I don't think he'd be a good enough first choice striker straight off the bat, but then we don't need that this summer if Rooney is still at the club. I think Benteke would be a premier league proven player who would be perfect for what we need; a second striker who is different to our first (he'd offer something different if Rooney isn't working), who'd be great to have for cup and less important European games, and who'd be a grand replacement if Rooney got hurt.

He's got potential, possibly, to be a good main striker, but I don't know if he's there yet, and I think he'd be grand as a squad striker capable of taking a step up long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Benteke would be an excellent buy. Reminds me a bit of Shearer. Strong, quick, prolific and is an ideal centre forward for a 433. Rooney Benteke and Wilson would be an excellent choice.
    Can see Chico going as well. Done well for us under Fergie but a 433 system will not suit him. Good impact player but not in the same league as Solskjear was for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Headshot wrote: »
    I have big doubts that Benteke is good enough for utd. I find it hard to see.

The problem is who else is out there that we can get? Higuain-expensive and maybe won't hack the EPL.
    Lacazette-Wenger is sniffing around.
    Benzema-Real surely won't let him join us over the DDG saga.
    Muller-I reckon Schweinsteiger is all we'll get out of Bayern.

The elephant in the room is Rooney who'll want to be our main striker but we can't depend on him-he's either amazing or rubbish.Wilson is young and unproven at the top level.We do need somebody in to share the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It varies from person to person though. There are a raft of factors that determine your ability to perform at the same level - not just age.

I think he definitely has 3 years at the top in him. He's a great player. It's good business.

Bastian is not married with kids, which in itself could be a big factor that I think is often overlooked.

• Advertisement

Benteke has proved himself in the PL and provides no risk. Getting Higuain, Benzema, any other European based strike and the risk is they mightnt adapt to England. I doubt Higuain or Benzema would be much less than Benteke. I also doubt they would be happy being clear understudy to Rooney. Kane has only had one season and is more expensive. Benteke has what 80+ matches and 35+ goals in the PL?
    Benteke also provides that strong target man role that we missed last year and had to stick Fellaini up top to fill. Benteke makes most sense compared to the others.

Bastian is not married with kids, which in itself could be a big factor that I think is often overlooked.
    He could bring Ana Ivanovic to OT. Thats a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

zerks wrote: »
    The problem is who else is out there that we can get? Higuain-expensive and maybe won't hack the EPL.
    Lacazette-Wenger is sniffing around.
    Benzema-Real surely won't let him join us over the DDG saga.
    Muller-I reckon Schweinsteiger is all we'll get out of Bayern.

The elephant in the room is Rooney who'll want to be our main striker but we can't depend on him-he's either amazing or rubbish.Wilson is young and unproven at the top level.We do need somebody in to share the goals.

Higuain shouldnt be even considered....

If utd really wanted Lacazette, man utd can outbid Arsenal with ease. Im not sure why it isnt happening.

Benzema wont be leaving and same for Muller.

I fear we wont get a top striker because they dont want to be second fiddle to Rooney who wouldnt be in the same league as the likes of Kun etc in the striker position.

I reckon utd will buy young promising striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Benteke or Kane

It would be Benteke day and night, 24\7..

Benteke would be terrific signing. Cheaper, stronger and will thrive on any ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

RobertKK wrote: »

Do we know what time he will be unveiled today?

Benteke or Kane

It would be Benteke day and night, 24\7..

Benteke would be terrific signing. Cheaper, stronger and will thrive on any ball.

Totally agree but unfortunately there seems very little traction in this story bar what has come from the sun. Here is hoping though!! Will be the happiest man here if this dream becomes reality though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Not sold on Benteke, could be class and I do rate him but don't think he is an improvement in Rooney nor do I think he can develop go be better than him. LVG has said he will only get players that will improve the team in his press conference, Benteke would be better than Wilson for sure but not sure if he is the required level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ah come off it for f*ck sake, are we not allowed to have an opinion that it's better to have Johnny Evans as an option over paddy mcnair or RVP over James Wilson?

Come off it? It was a joke. But, if you want to take a look at what you posted
    Evans and Rafael and replace their squad game time with the like a of adnan, Mcnair, Wilson and Blackett.

These players haven't left yet, they mightn't at all (although I expect they will) but and we're linked with Otamendi, Schniederlin, Benteke along with a lot others... plus you mentioned Rafael but haven't we just signed an young Italian international fullback.

You can have an opinion on something that's happened or likely to happen. Its okay to be worried but do you really think we'll let all those players go and not replace them \ have a plan? Do you? You can't expect decent players to hang around as backup and be happy about it. It just looks like something to give out about. I might be wrong but thats what it looks like.

I for one am excited to see what else we've in the pipeline. I've no doubt at least 2 more signings will come, 3 if De Gea leaves.
    You know I wasn't going to include Depay in my prediction but I'll go out on a limb and say only 2. And once I'm right every one will know my evil power like Nostradamus

I hope you're wrong! :)

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Not sold on Benteke, could be class and I do rate him but don't think he is an improvement in Rooney nor do I think he can develop go be better than him. LVG has said he will only get players that will improve the team in his press conference, Benteke would be better than Wilson for sure but not sure if he is the required level

Think he has potential to be that, given time in a better team than he is now. Also his role would be backup/cover to rooney and as an impact sub

zerks wrote: »
    Quality available CF's are not exactly plentiful.Benteke scored goals for a woeful Villa team,he'd surely do a lot better at a team like United.

That's exactly my point imagine the goals he would score If he had the likes of Mata and di Maria and Bastian supplying him instead of delph and tom cleverly. Surely he would get over 20 to 30 a season that's worth investing 30 million in.
    Higuain is been talked about but he is older then benteke and is prone to the odd sulk. Benzena is quality but not tested in prem league.

I reckon utd will buy young promising striker

Who'd be a good fit?

duffman13 wrote: »
    Benteke would be an improvement on RVP/Fellaini as striker. Improvements dont always have to go into starting XI, Benteke would improve the quality of Rooneys deputy/Uniteds Plan B. Thus squad improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Robson99 wrote: »
    Benteke would be an excellent buy. Reminds me a bit of Shearer. Strong, quick, prolific and is an ideal centre forward for a 433. Rooney Benteke and Wilson would be an excellent choice.
    Can see Chico going as well. Done well for us under Fergie but a 433 system will not suit him. Good impact player but not in the same league as Solskjear was for us.

I made the Shearer comparison in the Liverpool thread the other week and got laughed at. Some people think he's a lump just because of his performance v Wales at the end of the season and the comments afterwards.

He's a beast of a player, £25m is about the right price, but if you need to spend an extra 7.5 to meet the release clause then fair enough. United have the money and his wages will be cheaper than RvP or Falcao.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

What about zlatan? We'd get a season or 2 out of him, I know some will Say he's 33.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

JamboMac wrote: »
    What about zlatan? We'd get a season or 2 out of him, I know some will Say he's 33.

He doesn't like LVG. Said so in his book. So that's a no before you even get into his age etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hernandez in talks with Orlando.

Benteke would be a great signing for us, would like to see him at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wouldn't really have a problem wit Benteke, but wouldn't be getting too excited about it either. On the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

bangkok wrote: »
    Hernandez in talks with Orlando.

Benteke would be a great signing for us, would like to see him at the club

Although benteke might be proven in the premier league what about the champions league?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

JamboMac wrote: »
    Although benteke might be proven in the premier league what about the champions league?

What about Depays CL pedigree? What about Darmians CL pedigree? When you sign young players you take a risk.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement