Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

If Di Maria is going we need a replacement of similar quality

Could be why we allegedly bid €140 million for Bale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Sorry but that wasn't very clever.

The result is plastered over every inch of the Internet. I usually don't watch events til the Sunday afternoon and won't even turn on my phone until then.

Anyway, apologies for the mixup.

Dont need to apologise mate,
    one of the best parts of following and writing in this thread is people give their views on united and throw in some personal ramblings about what they may be upto in private life ect anyone that follows the thread knows how it works if we were to worry about everything we say been a spoiler sure it would ruin the thread.
    Its not a spoiler if you commented about a televised event 12 hours after it was viewed around the world by millions not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

So is Conor McGregor signing for Man Utd or not??

We have been linked to tons of players over the summer and a few Germans too but one particular German we haven't been linked too is Kevin Volland I know we have plenty of wingers and number tens bit in my opinion volland would be a great striker he got 8 goals from playing out wide for his club last season and scored two goals in four games for Germany in the under21 world cup playing up front on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So is Conor McGregor signing for Man Utd or not??

I rather see Gerrard in a United shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

J. Marston wrote: »
    We won't go mad and say something we might later regret...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

jayo26 wrote: »
    Dont need to apologise mate.

I know but still, it is a pain in the hole when you're trying to avoid a result and it gets spoiled. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I thought it would spoil it for anyone so I am genuinely sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I know but still, it is a pain in the hole when you're trying to avoid a result and it gets spoiled. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I thought it would spoil it for anyone so I am genuinely sorry!

Honestly, don't worry. I suppose 'technically' everyone is right and I should not have logged on anywhere. I'm more annoyed with myself.

Anyway, let's move on. If Di Maria goes to PSG, I presume we will be looking to use that money to replace him. So let's assume we have 50/ 60 million burning a hole in the Utd bank balance? Who do you bid for?

Benzema was mentioned earlier and that is a good shout. Kane? Benteke? I'm struggling to think of players we could get in that price range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

J. Marston wrote: »

I would rather the whole team copy vidals stupid hair cut than Have Conor mcgregor in a utd shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

Honestly, don't worry. I suppose 'technically' everyone is right and I should not have logged on anywhere. I'm more annoyed with myself.

Anyway, let's move on. If Di Maria goes to PSG, I presume we will be looking to use that money to replace him. So let's assume we have 50/ 60 million burning a hole in the Utd bank balance? Who do you bid for?

Benzema was mentioned earlier and that is a good shout. Kane? Benteke? I'm struggling to think of players we could get in that price range.

Hope we wont go for Benteke or Kane. Also would not want Higuain. Benzema or Muller would be perfect but I doubt Madrid or Munich would want to sell them. Ibrahimovic could be good for a year or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

billyhead wrote: »
    Hope we wont go for Benteke or Kane. Also would not want Higuain. Benzema or Muller would be perfect but I doubt Madrid or Munich would want to sell them. Ibrahimovic could be good for a year or 2.

Benteke is a great player id take him any day! I really hope Liverpool dont get him there linked with Reus as well but ya :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

billyhead wrote: »

+1 on Benteke at least. He's a decent striker but not a player that you could depend on in big games in my opinion. Didn't do anything in the FA Cup final and seems to go off the boil. Out of the two would prefer Kane. Think we do need to keep Di Maria though and bring in another striker (and centre back) to have enough cover for a serious challenge next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If Benteke was signed and knows he isn't first choice then I suppose he isn't the worst choice but if he is signed to lead the line with Rooney moved in No.10/ACM I would be pissed off.
    It would only lead to problems unless LVg is willing to drop Rooney,which it seems he isnt.
    I have no idea who could be signed at CF that will fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The signing of Schweinsteiger is huge, it means we should attract more top Germans.
    We have no history of having Germans in our first team, so I think this signing will have further positive consequences, and should open the door to more Germans signing for us, whether this year or in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Marco Reus has kinda fallen off the transfer rumour radar hasn't he. It's surprising he is not linked with us. If DiMaria were to be sold it would a great replacement.

Whatever happens with De Gea and Di Maria I hope it gets sorted soon. In or Out but do it soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

RobertKK wrote: »
    The signing of Schweinsteiger is huge, it means we should attract more top Germans.
    We have no history of having Germans in our first team, so I think this signing will have further positive consequences, and should open the door to more Germans signing for us, whether this year or in the future.

wouldnt have made a difference. if we offered enough money to whoever they would come, bastian or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

irishfeen wrote: »
    We won't go mad and say something we might later regret...

Nice of u to quote him just in case he did :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think Van Gaal will be after a forward who has a good football brain, Muller would be his ideal signing. Kane would be similar in some ways (obvious exception is he is jot proven) so I could see him taking that risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sure Woodward hasn't a clue what he is doing

#debunked

De Telegraaf says Van Gaal wants three more players brought in - Ramos, Otamendi and Schneiderlin.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/620298272549244928

If we buy 2 from that it be class, 3 be just asking to be spoilt.

If we buy 2 from that it be class, 3 be just asking to be spoilt.

one of the defenders and schinerlin id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just watching Sky News. The vox pop interviewing City fans is hilarious. None of them are enthusiastic about Sterling. In contrast the United fans are glowing about Schweini :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Don't personally think we need both otamendi and ramos !! Considering we have jones smalling rojo mcnair blackett not counting evans as I feel he'll leave and also blind can play there also if required

I say Van Gaal will go all out to get his two defenders, then with Ramos he would have the Spanish captain, with Schweini he would have German captain and with Rooney the English captain.

Be great if DDG signed a new contract and Ramos asked to leave Madrid.

Roquentin wrote: »
    one of the defenders and schinerlin id say.

Yes that be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Hope to god we go for Lacazette. Looks a terrific prospect.

Not sure why people are linking Benzema away. He is their only decent orthodox striker. Unless of course they go for Aguero ;)

Discodog wrote: »
    Just watching Sky News. The vox pop interviewing City fans is hilarious. None of them are enthusiastic about Sterling. In contrast the United fans are glowing about Schweini :pac:

i think the price is killing them. he isnt worth that much IMO. a bit like us when we bought fellani

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Don't see why city fans would be disappointed to get Sterling. Ok you might argue about the price but he's an exciting prospect with pace to burn and lots of talent. Still only 20.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Someone I never see mentioned regarding strikers is Morata, seen him a few games this season and always been impressed with him. Anyone know what his situation is at juve? Think if we really wanna push for the title this year we're gonna need another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Me getting hit by the positivity train.

Someone I never see mentioned regarding strikers is Morata, seen him a few games this season and always been impressed with him. Anyone know what his situation is at juve? Think if we really wanna push for the title this year we're gonna need another striker.

They only signed him last year and from what i know madrid have first option on him or a buy back price. I think he will end up back in madrid in couple years.

Depay is going to look so cheap compared to Sterling.

Depay is going to look so cheap compared to Sterling.

Hopefully he will look world class compaired to him too. Im really excited to see him play cant wait for the tour games now and start of new season.

Lets say De Telegraaf is correct and the remaining targets are Otamendi, Ramos and Schneiderlin.

I wonder if Van Gaal will use the tour to see if he needs to buy a striker, and will play Januzaj and Wilson a lot to see how they do.

Depay calls himself a striker as does Louis, and Januzaj is likely to be tested out on tour, given he played there before.
    Adnan might be a revelation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I say Van Gaal will go all out to get his two defenders, then with Ramos he would have the Spanish captain, with Schweini he would have German captain and with Rooney the English captain.

Be great if DDG signed a new contract and Ramos asked to leave Madrid.

Ramos is currently travelling to Australia with Madrid, so I don't see anything happening (if it is going to happen) until they get back.

Rvp getting some welcome to turkey i hope it works out for him.

• Advertisement

Lets say De Telegraaf is correct and the remaining targets are Otamendi, Ramos and Schneiderlin.

I wonder if Van Gaal will use the tour to see if he needs to buy a striker, and will out Januzaj and Wilson a lot to see how they do.

Depay calls himself a striker as does Louis, and Januzaj is likely to be tested out on tour, given he played there before.

if we dont sign a striker, i think it means we are intent on playing with three at the front most games:

rooney
    Depay
    Di maria

Wilson
    depay
    mata

etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

De Telegraaf says Van Gaal wants three more players brought in - Ramos, Otamendi and Schneiderlin.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/620298272549244928

If it's three, then a Ch, Striker and a keeper surely are the list toppers?

Realistically we still need 2 first 11 players (including a new keeper here.) and a back up striker and midfielder.

Going off this, our work for the summer should be nowhere complete as it stands, we could end up with a weaker squad depth than last season if the players expected to leave all go.first 11 will be improved as it stands though it's hard to quantify it if DDG leaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

mcratsix wrote: »
    Don't see why city fans would be disappointed to get Sterling. Ok you might argue about the price but he's an exciting prospect with pace to burn and lots of talent. Still only 20.

We laughed at the bust up between Stirling & Rodgers. The City fans all commented that they were concerned about his behaviour. Balotelli 2 ? :pac:

Roquentin wrote: »
    if we dont sign a striker, i think it means we are intent on playing with three at the front most games:

rooney
    Depay
    Di maria

Wilson
    depay
    mata

etc etc.

Yeah and it means Di Maria would be most likely staying.

Yeah and it means Di Maria would be most likely staying.

hopefully. i think the guy could do the robben role very well. cutting in from the right

I wonder if Van Gaal will use the tour to see if he needs to buy a striker, and will play Januzaj and Wilson a lot to see how they do.

I think he will try depay but i dont think adnans finishing is up to scratch to play as striker i might be wrong i know he has a decent strike rate for the u21s but from what i have seen from him in first team i wouldn't think so.
    If we got schneiderlin and otamendi id be pretty happy with rooney and depay and wilson as our 3 centerforward options.

• Advertisement

If it's three, then a Ch, Striker and a keeper surely are the list toppers?

Realistically we still need 2 first 11 players (including a new keeper here.) and a back up striker and midfielder.

Going off this, our work for the summer should be nowhere complete as it stands, we could end up with a weaker squad depth than last season if the players expected to leave all go.first 11 will be improved as it stands though it's hard to quantify it if DDG leaves

Maybe we go with Valdes and Lindegaard as back up?

Maybe he want two centre backs because he doesn't trust the current lot to remain fit?

Schneiderlin to play in Carrick's position.

Then the tour is used to decide if a striker is needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Honestly would people be happy if our only striking options for the season were Rooney, Wilson and Depay?

We need a striker signed, no other way around that discussion. One injury to Rooney and we are looking at Fellaini being our main striker then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Really need to buy a striker. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

dubmick wrote: »
    Really need to buy a striker. Simple as that.

Yep Ideal scenario would see wilson loaned out so 2 might be required :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

jayo26 wrote: »
    They only signed him last year and from what i know madrid have first option on him or a buy back price. I think he will end up back in madrid in couple years.

Ahh ok didn't realise they had a buy back clause, guess it was a pipe dream anyway ! Been an excellent window so far and am really happy with our business but I will be very concerned if we go Into next season with only Rooney and Wilson as our only recognised strikers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement