Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Is Schneiderlin really that good ?
    As in good enough to tear it up in the Champions league or game v other top 4 teams ?
    I'm a bit meh on that transfer.

As the Bastian, as long as he gets an injury- free run he will be just immense for United

Any one that makes Yaya Toure look like a fool goes up in my estimation

https://vine.co/v/evIdw5OMOMD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Someone needs to get some oversized headphones for Ed. And a gold chain with a pound sign on it.

Could definitely see a Beats by Dre ad covering his exploits this summer with 'I Don't F With You' by Big Sean playing through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

QikBax wrote: »
    They're from Manchester Airport.

The flight to Seattle is about 12 hours.
    Ah OK sorry I though they were from America :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

As in good enough to tear it up in the Champions league or game v other top 4 teams ?

As the Bastian, as long as he gets an injury- free run he will be just immense for United

I posted the stats for when he played and the results Southampton got when he was present and absent the other day.

They were far more likely to win when he played and lost a good few games when he was absent.
    Think it was they lost 7 games in 26 when he played, but lost 7 in 12 when he was not playing.
    49 points in 26 games when he played versus 13 points in 12 games when absent if I remember correctly.

astradave wrote: »

Ed is working on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Yeah it was more of a take it or leave transfer for me, wasn't nearly as happy as getting scweinsteiger. As for his quality probably a bit more of an oaf than silky footballing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

RobertKK wrote: »
    I posted the stats for when he played and the results Southampton got when he was present and absent the other day.

They were far more likely to win when he played and lost a good few games when he was absent.
    Think it was they lost 7 games in 26 when he played, but lost 7 in 12 when he was not playing.
    49 points in 26 games when he played versus 13 points in 12 games when absent if I remember correctly.

Well hopefully, and it is (was!) a problem position for United. No doubt he's a key player for Southampton.

I'm just weary that, for example, Fellaini was probably Everton's best player, Ashley Young was Villa's best player, Shaw at Soton etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In 2011/2012, Arsenal had a 75% win rate with Arteta in the team. He missed 6 or 7 games but their win rate without him was 0%.

Arteta was a crucial player for us and of key importance to the way we played.

But he wasn't quite good enough for a team with top ambitions.

• Advertisement

JamboMac wrote: »
    Yeah it was more of a take it or leave transfer for me, wasn't nearly as happy as getting scweinsteiger. As for his quality probably a bit more of an oaf than silky footballing.

IEFkbzD.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

A cushy coaching role for Rio in the defense side of things would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Manchester United do not need to sign a midfielder.

Just let that sink in...

:)

MagicIRL wrote: »
    A cushy coaching role for Rio in the defense side of things would be lovely.

Lovely for who ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What do you mean by tear it up ?
    He aint gonna go on mazey runs or be scoring a pile of goals but he will give a great base to start attacks and will protect the back four.He is a very strong tackler and seems to get a huge amount of interceptions.
    I think he would get into any of the other teams around us bar Chelsea who have Matic to do a similar job.He can be Carricks replacement or also play beside him.
    I think he is a fantastic signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lovely for who ?

Everybody. The man typifies everything good about the club for the most successful decade in our history.

Above all else, an other experienced head, very good at team moral and knows the game inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

So here we stand tonight - Outstanding in midfield but we'll need someone up from, we are very light up front after RVP! to be fair entering the PL with one decent striker added and I wouldn't be too upset at all.

Goalkeepers
    de Gea
    Valdés

Defenders
    Smalling
    Darmian
    Valencia
    Jones
    Rojo
    Evans
    Shaw
    McNair
    Rafael
    Blackett
    Varela

Midfield
    Mata
    Di María
    Herrera
    Young
    Fellaini
    Schweinsteiger
    Blind
    Schneiderlin
    Carrick
    Januzaj
    Pereira
    Depay

Forwards
    Rooney
    Wilson
    Hernández

He's gonna come in and make midfield play look easy, leave us wondering why Utd ever tolerated Cleverly, Andersin and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I think our cf signing if anyone will be Klass Jan Huntelaar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yeah. I think he's that good. Skillful, very fast, full of energy and can pick a pass. I think he's going to have a bigger impact at United than Schweinsteiger. I think he can step it up and was the primary reason Southampton have done so well the past few years.

But unusual that Varela didn't go on tour but Goss did, especially seen as Goss would be up against much more competition in midfield right now that Varela would have at right back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

MrMac84 wrote: »

That signing would make a lot of sense, at his age he might be more accepting of the role on offer but also motivated enough to push hard for a better role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Schneiderlin could be like another Carrick he does nothing fancy only tackles and defends and intercepts balls he will probably be under apreciated by majority of fans same as Carrick was for years but he will be strong and reliable he don't seem to panick.

MrMac84 wrote: »

There has to be a marquee signing coming,there simply has to be, especially if Di Maria leaves. I'm convinced Adidas will want something like that from their investment to launch their deal, we get a top class player,they get £20-30m in jersey sales from the signing - it's a win win.

DM_7 wrote: »
    That signing would make a lot of sense, at his age he might be more accepting of the role on offer but also motivated enough to push hard for a better role.

Id prefer a forward with a bit of pace That we could use to turn a game or is a total different option then Rooney.

• Advertisement

So Hugo Lloris has broken his wrist, might need to hang into that de Gea fella for a bit longer then

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There has to be a marquee signing coming,there simply has to be, especially if Di Maria leaves. I'm convinced Adidas will want something like that from their investment to launch their deal, we get a top class player,they get £20-30m in jersey sales from the signing - it's a win win.

It's been proven umpteen times that big names don't sell more jerserys. Fans simply get the star players name on the jersey instead of someone elses.

If Di Maria went then wouldn't United need a player who can play wide, that wouldn't change the need to get back up for Rooney.

Adidas are going to sell tonnes and tonnes of Jerseys anyway. They will sell more to women than Nike did, just look at the beauty of guys like Schneiderlin and Blind, Adidas will know how to market them, they wear Adidas anyway.

DM_7 wrote: »

Not sure why everyone is assuming that an incoming striker would get nothing apart from bench time. RVP And Falcao played 59 games between them last year, something like 38 of which were from the start. Fellaini also played a lot of games off the striker. Granted Rooney played in midfield for a while but we have at least 8 more games this year.

We've a lot to offer a striker, they could expect to play 20-25 games at least in the starting line up taking rotation and injuries into account

jayo26 wrote: »
    Id prefer a forward with a bit of pace That we could use to turn a game or is a total different option then Rooney.

Its a good point.

I would prefer a proven goalscorer myself from a back up, alternate player. A lot of the time when United need a goal its going to be in games where teams defend deep and a clever player around the box with some height would be better option to bring on. From the start if Rooney was out/unavailable a player like Huntelaar could feed well off the other attackers.

United have added pace and dribbling ability in Depay already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not sure why everyone is assuming that an incoming striker would get nothing apart from bench time. RVP And Falcao played 59 games between them last year, something like 38 of which were from the start. Fellaini also played a lot of games off the striker. Granted Rooney played in midfield for a while but we have at least 8 more games this year.

We've a lot to offer a striker, they could expect to play 20-25 games at least in the starting line up taking rotation and injuries into account

Completely different circumstances. We tried playing Falcao, RVP and Rooney together as much as possible in a front 2 or front 2 with Rooney in midfield. We're going with one up front next season and given it's going to be Rooney - who played 33 games last season in the league (was suspended for 1 or 2) and 4 in the cup - then there's unlikely to be an awful lot of games for the backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Being working a good bit lately, over the weekend there.

You can all type in caps if you wish..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You get the sense the best is yet to come with the signings.

I still think we will get least 2 more big names, maybe 3.

Actually, like you I don't think only bench time would be on offer,

The role is obviously back up/alternate player. A role you describe well, another striker would get a good amount of game time but won't be first choice and at this stage we have to figure there is only one cf role in the first 11 on offer next season, unlike last season

Huntelaar is at Shalke as he was burned at Real/Milan and didn't play as first choice. Maybe now he would like to win things and could accept a more reduced role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was over at OT for the home game against Southampton last January and i have to say Schniederlin was my MOTM. Their midfield and him in particular pissed all over us that day we created nothing hardly and he was a beast. Im as much delighted with his signing as any other so far this summer. Only 25 too could go on to be a huge player for us for many years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Strumms wrote: »
    I was over at OT for the home game against Southampton last January and i have to say Schniederlin was my MOTM. Their midfield and him in particular pissed all over us that day we created nothing hardly and he was a beast. Im as much delighted with his signing as any other so far this summer. Only 25 too could go on to be a huge player for us for many years.

Was there too. 😕 owing sucks when you are there live...

Ramos is captain of Real Madrid as he was the vice captain and with Casillas gone, it makes him captain, it is not the big deal that some have made it out to be. If he was not named as captain it would have raised more questions for Perez to answer, in reality it changes nothing.
    Claims in Spain that Ramos and his wife have been learning English and started learning earlier this year when it became clear a move to United was possible. Also claims that Ramos phoned Van Gaal and told him to be patient as he wants the move.
    Source Don Balon, a Spanish sport magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Been up in the sticks the last few days only getting drabs of info, really lifted me up from my hangovers hearing a new player had signed every day :D

I don't rate Schneiderlin as highly as some here, he needs a workhorse beside/behind him to have his full impact imo. He should look better with better players around him though and Schweinsteiger will be great for him too. Be interesting to see who plays with everyone fit, will Carrick be phased out this season? He showed he had a lot to still offer last season and I don't think he's the type of player who does well playing only here and there.

anyway, all hail Ed.

https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xfp1/v/t42.1790-2/11665174_489908927834359_517106340_n.mp4?efg=eyJxZSI6InZpZGVvX3ByZWZlcnJlZF90YWdzXzIwMTUwMTIxLDIwMTUwMTAxIiwicmxyIjozMzYsInJsYSI6NTEyfQ%3D%3D&rl=336&vabr=187&oh=ee736e7055948358899ae436a1081f35&oe=55A458CA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Honigstein reckons the fee paid for Schweinsteiger is different to that being reported.
    Q: The fee for Schweinsteiger has been reported as €20 million. Was it really that high?

A: No, it wasn't. It's a nice, round sum that looks good on paper. Bayern didn't want to sell too cheaply, for fear of appearing as if they're dumping one of their talismans; and Manchester United are quite happy for it to be bandied about, for the opposite reason. The actual fee is much closer to €15 million.

So £10.7m if true. Thats a steal.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/bayern-munich/132/blog/post/2521623/bayern-reasons-for-selling-schweinsteiger-to-man-united

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Epic

Edit I see Liam o beat me to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The twitter agents reckon Bayern and PSG are both after DiMaria.

The rumours are starting to narrow down to the same few players now.

GSPfan wrote: »

Di Maria and DDG leaving would take alot of gloss off the transfer window.

hopefully the club refuses to sell both and i believe that will be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

GSPfan wrote: »

Laurent Blanc has clearly stated that they are after Di Maria. He also said that he will be difficult to get and so they have alternatives in mind.

I feel that LVG will only sell if it's on his terms, e.g. he covets Cavanii more.

Di Maria and DDG leaving would take alot of gloss off the transfer window.

hopefully the club refuses to sell both and i believe that will be the case.

Easy in case of Bayern tell them we want Muller as part of any deal and in case of psg we want our money back on what we paid for him.
    Hopefully he will give it another year tho but if lvg was unhappy with him at end of last year he may decide to cash in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

kippy wrote: »
    Yeah. I think he's that good. Skillful, very fast, full of energy and can pick a pass. I think he's going to have a bigger impact at United than Schweinsteiger. I think he can step it up and was the primary reason Southampton have done so well the past few years.

Its hilarious, one of the recurring comments I keep seeing from bitter fans is ''Carrick, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, are United trying to build the slowest midfield of all time''. People just presuming as such because any sitting midfielder just has to be slow! Was the same when Shaw had a bit of puppy fat, people slagged him for being slow when in fact hes a ball of speed, easily roasting the likes of Lennon and Chamberlin just a few months previous. Smalling would be another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hococop wrote: »
    Epic

Edit I see Liam o beat me to it

Ah I couldn't find a link to embed, the thanks are yours :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Money in the betting markets going with Otamendi, now 2/5 to join.

Seems to be money coming for Muller too, can't see that happening unless we are going to go for a world record fee, using money from a Di Maria sale to PSG. Odds for Muller gone from 12/1 to 9/2. It would have to be an exceptional offer to get him...

I wouldnt get too excited, its skybet, I could move that price myself with about a fiver on a restricted account. 6/1 to stay with valencia looks decent value for anyone opening a new one. be max 20 quid or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

If fancy abit of Muller in return for di maria, yum

never thought i would say this, but im starting to warm to the idea of signing Cavani.....

averaging 32 goals a season for the last 5 years, while playing in Italy and France is nothing to dismiss lightely.

29 goals in europe during this time also. ill put it to ye this way, if we cant get Lacazette, id rather have Cavani other Kane or Benteke as the transfer fees wouldnt be much different.

like Madrid, if we are selling them one of our top players, we need to get something in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

never thought i would say this, but im starting to warm to the idea of signing Cavani.....

averaging 32 goals a season for the last 5 years, while playing in Italy and France is nothing to dismiss lightely.

29 goals in europe during this time also. ill put it to ye this way, if we cant get Lacazette, id rather have Cavani other Kane or Benteke as the transfer fees wouldnt be much different.

like Madrid, if we are selling them one of our top players, we need to get something in return.

We dont need another falcao

Over priced, over paid and getting old

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement