Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

never thought i would say this, but im starting to warm to the idea of signing Cavani.....

averaging 32 goals a season for the last 5 years, while playing in Italy and France is nothing to dismiss lightely.

29 goals in europe during this time also. ill put it to ye this way, if we cant get Lacazette, id rather have Cavani other Kane or Benteke as the transfer fees wouldnt be much different.

like Madrid, if we are selling them one of our top players, we need to get something in return.

I'd prefer someone a little younger. Cavani also won't be happy on the bench or playing wide. I'm warming to Benteke myself but not 100% sold on either at the moment and I don't know why. I've a feeling there's something big brewing in Eds office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    We dont need another falcao

Over priced, over paid and getting old

any top european striker is going to cost us £35m at least, the same as Kane and almost what Benteke will cost. we paid RVP £250k a week to join us, Cavani is a year younger.
    duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd prefer someone a little younger. Cavani also won't be happy on the bench or playing wide. I'm warming to Benteke myself but not 100% sold on either at the moment and I don't know why. I've a feeling there's something big brewing in Eds office!

why are people on about his age, he is the same age as Suarez.........Ronaldo is 2 years older, would you turn him down?

harry kane, benteke or lacazette are the only real younger options out there - Lacazette would be ideal but i dont think we are going to get him, he is bound elsewhere at the moment sadly.

we wont get Muller. after that, who else is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

DM_7 wrote: »
    If Di Maria went then wouldn't United need a player who can play wide, that wouldn't change the need to get back up for Rooney.

Adidas are going to sell tonnes and tonnes of Jerseys anyway. They will sell more to women than Nike did, just look at the beauty of guys like Schneiderlin and Blind, Adidas will know how to market them, they wear Adidas anyway.

Women will buy sports jerseys? They will in their hole.
    If a lot of men think they are just disgusting red Tshirts with tacky advertising, what do you think a more fashion conscious girl is going to think?
    The jerseys are not beautiful. They are gaudy and always have been with cheap material.
    No hope will women buy them.

I should add I don't wear sports gear outside the house so I'm probably biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

never thought i would say this, but im starting to warm to the idea of signing Cavani.....

averaging 32 goals a season for the last 5 years, while playing in Italy and France is nothing to dismiss lightely.

29 goals in europe during this time also. ill put it to ye this way, if we cant get Lacazette, id rather have Cavani other Kane or Benteke as the transfer fees wouldnt be much different.

like Madrid, if we are selling them one of our top players, we need to get something in return.

I was thinking about this recently too. If he were to score early and find some confidence, while being played centrally, he could be great.

Just too risky for me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Llorente, Huntelaar, Charlie Austin!!?

Think we just need a proven goalscorer who can drift in and out of the team when needed. Not sure I like the idea of splurging on the future of our strikeforce when, a) Rooney has a couple of years left and will play regardless and B), noone seems fully enamoured with the options available at this point.

Ohh for the equivilant of a Henrik Larsson type season long loan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

any top european striker is going to cost us £35m at least, the same as Kane and almost what Benteke will cost. we paid RVP £250k a week to join us, Cavani is a year younger.

why are people on about his age, he is the same age as Suarez.........Ronaldo is 2 years older, would you turn him down?

harry kane, benteke or lacazette are the only real younger options out there - Lacazette would be ideal but i dont think we are going to get him, he is bound elsewhere at the moment sadly.

Another german that might want to follow bastian to england,
    a german that can play out wide and through the middle when rooney is out,
    a german that is very fast and full of skills and scores plenty of goals and assists,
    a german that is playing for a team outside of champs league,
    a german that only signed a new contract but his club could cash in.

How about reus? Ive alway liked him and might be more atainable then muller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd rather, like you, if it was Lacazette we went for. Up and coming player and excellent in terms of bringing players into the game around him - would suit the way we play more than Cavani/Benteke I think

Don't know what it is about Cavani but can't warm to the idea of us signing him. He looks slow anytime I've watched him play (admittedly only around 5-10 times last year) and he looked disinterested or lazy. I know not every player can be like Tevez chasing things down. He's a quality finisher alright but there's something about him that says to me he wouldn't do well in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Anyone else fine with what we have up front? Depay has put in plenty of shifts up front for PSV, Wilson will get a few games and Rooney is Rooney. I'd rather we shored up at CB now to be honest as it is by a distance our weakest position

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Women will buy sports jerseys? They will in their hole.
    If a lot of men think they are just disgusting red Tshirts with tacky advertising, what do you think a more fashion conscious girl is going to think?
    The jerseys are not beautiful. They are gaudy and always have been with cheap material.
    No hope will women buy them.

I should add I don't wear sports gear outside the house so I'm probably biased.

I though it was clear enough I was tongue in cheek with that comment about beauty when it was about the players (although the lads are fine men will be good faces posters and advertising generally).

I think Adidas will simply sell loads of jerseys and other branded gear as United are well supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

spiralism wrote: »
    Anyone else fine with what we have up front? Depay has put in plenty of shifts up front for PSV, Wilson will get a few games and Rooney is Rooney. I'd rather we shored up at CB now to be honest as it is by a distance our weakest position

Imagine if Rooney got injured?

Last year we had 3 very experienced strikers and a youngster.

Now we have 1 experienced striker and a youngster.

I don't want to include Depay. Being a certain position and being able to do a shift there are very different.

• Advertisement

took a quick look at the stats of the top strikers in europe for the last 5 years. goals are in bold, first figure is games played and last figure is goals ratio.

Cavani - 234/160 = 1.46

Rooney - 197/99 = 1.98

Higuain - 225/111 = 2.02

Benzema - 248/124 = 2.00

Llorente - 220/80 = 2.75

Suarez - 200/119 - 1.68

Huntelaar - 175/105 = 1.66

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Yeah I'm not as worried as some others are. My absolute ideal signing would be Muller as he can play wide regularly and move into Rooneys striker role when needed. Bale is another who could fit that role. Buying an expensive out and out striker could be a real waste of time and money. I like Wilson so would love to see him at the front of a strong team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

took a quick look at the stats of the top strikers in europe for the last 5 years. goals are in bold, first figure is games played and last figure is goals/game.

Cavani - 234/160 = 1.46

Rooney - 197/99 = 1.98

Higuain - 225/111 = 2.02

Benzema - 248/124 = 2.00

Llorente - 220/80 = 2.75

Suarez - 200/119 - 1.68

Huntelaar - 175/105 = 1.66

Looks like game per goal instead.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Imagine if Rooney got injured?

Last year we had 3 very experienced strikers and a youngster.

Now we have 1 experienced striker and a youngster.

I don't want to include Depay. Being a certain position and being able to do a shift there are very different.

He did a shift there in the vein that Ronaldo often did a shift for us up front. Finished top scorer for the season, the lad has a serious eye for goal. Given that Van Gaal has often converted players from one position to another (see Schweinsteiger for one example) who's to say he couldn't pull something similar with Memphis?

Another striker worth considering would have been Mauro Icardi - but given he signed a new 4 year deal a few months ago it's hard to see him going.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I though it was clear enough I was tongue in cheek with that comment about beauty when it was about the players (although the lads are fine men will be good faces posters and advertising generally).

I think Adidas will simply sell loads of jerseys and other branded gear as United are well supported.

Oh. I did not catch that.

I just wanted to rant about jerseys and my blind rage got to me.
    You owe me a new door. I had to headbutt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Yes in a way, lvg system is only 1 striker, and if hernandez stays and wilson 3rd choice, we should be fine.

It would be a waste to spend crazy money on a off the bench player when we have a decent off the bench striker in hernandez.

Now if hernandez goes, well then yes sign somebody up

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Yes in a way, lvg system is only 1 striker, and if hernandez stays and wilson 3rd choice, we should be fine.

It would be a waste to spend crazy money on a off the bench player when we have a decent off the bench striker in hernandez.

Now if hernandez goes, well then yes sign somebody up

Look at it this way. How many strikers did Real Madrid have last season? Benzema and Hernandez. That was it. Ronaldo played games up front too but as a team playing 4-3-3 playing in the latter stages of all competitions - they managed with just two. We have Rooney, Hernandez and Wilson (who they have a lot of faith in) and Depay who can play there also.

Bayern last season had Lewandowski and then Pizarro behind him and that was it. Muller played up front every now and again but mostly played on the right. It's just the way football generally is at the minute with sides playing 4-3-3 and most teams focusing on having more midfielders who are adaptable and can play multiple roles and top quality wingers/attacking players. One or two strikers per team are all that sides have in reserve. Even when you look at Barca - if any of Messi, Suarez or Neymar are out then Pedro can play up front but after that they would have to push Iniesta higher up the field into one of the wide roles. The days of having four top quality strikers like we did in 1999 are gone - especially playing the formation we're playing.

Obviously I would like if we would sign a top striker but if we don't then it's fine by me too. The coaches and management know how far along Wilson is and the capabilities of the players better than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The question is if Hernandez leaves which is a possibility where do we go ? If Rooney was to pick up an injury I don't want to rely on an unproven 19 year old and if Depay is playing out of his skin in another position I'd prefer he stays there and have a reliable and proven back up to slot in for us. Slightly annoying that Falcao didn't come good and signed permanently but hey ho.

Strumms wrote: »
    The question is if Hernandez leaves which is a possibility where do we go ? If Rooney was to pick up an injury I don't want to rely on an unproven 19 year old and if Depay is playing out of his skin in another position I'd prefer he stays there and have a reliable and proven back up to slot in for us. Slightly annoying that Falcao didn't come good and signed permanently but hey ho.

Thing is though, Depay's preferred position is left wing, where we have an in form Young and a 60 million pound player duking it out. It could well transpire that if he plays well he ends up playing up front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Knex. wrote: »
    Pretty much.

Also, wasn't Makelele around 20m too?

If I am correct he was 13.5mn or thereabouts. But 13.5mn in 2003 was a hell of a lot different to 13.5mn in 2015

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Its hilarious, one of the recurring comments I keep seeing from bitter fans is ''Carrick, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, are United trying to build the slowest midfield of all time''. People just presuming as such because any sitting midfielder just has to be slow! Was the same when Shaw had a bit of puppy fat, people slagged him for being slow when in fact hes a ball of speed, easily roasting the likes of Lennon and Chamberlin just a few months previous. Smalling would be another one

Those people are either bitter, or idiots. I remember a lot of people bemoaning 'slow' Carrick on here even last summer, and we all saw the difference when he wasn't in the line up. I hope lessons have been learned, viva la slowness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thing is though, Depay's preferred position is left wing, where we have an in form Young and a 60 million pound player duking it out. It could well transpire that if he plays well he ends up playing up front.

Possible, a lot of ifs I guess. I think Young had a very good season last year, good attitude etc. but I dunno given the signings I'd be surprised if he wasn't used more as an impact sub from next season.... Again we are all guessing but as things stand I'd be looking at...

New keeper / DDG
    Damian
    Smalling
    Rojo
    Shaw

Bastian
    Schniederlin
    Herrera

Depay
    Rooney
    Di Maria

Subs :

New Keeper / Valdes
    Blind
    Jones
    Mata
    Young
    Carrick
    Wilson

tastyt wrote: »
    Unbelievable window by ye so far. If ye buy benteke I think ye are genuine contenders again. He has everything, he's the real deal. When he gets to a big club he will be the next drogba. Remember drogba was 3/4 years older than benteke when he joined Chelsea. Benteke has single handedly kept villa in the league the past couple of years and if he had been fit for the world cup he would already be playing champions league.
    He's not the real deal or next Drogba, not having a go at you or anything - he just strikes me as one of the most overrated/priced players 'in the market'. For my money he is the next Darren Bent, if anything. Great athlete, quality finisher... but just not enough of a rounded player to do well at a top European club in this day and age. At the very least he would need a more industrious style of play than LVG prefers in order to flourish.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy as a player and he hasn't had any issues I can recall off the pitch, but for me he would be pretty meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »
    Been up in the sticks the last few days only getting drabs of info, really lifted me up from my hangovers hearing a new player had signed every day :D

I don't rate Schneiderlin as highly as some here, he needs a workhorse beside/behind him to have his full impact imo. He should look better with better players around him though and Schweinsteiger will be great for him too. Be interesting to see who plays with everyone fit, will Carrick be phased out this season? He showed he had a lot to still offer last season and I don't think he's the type of player who does well playing only here and there.

anyway, all hail Ed.

https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xfp1/v/t42.1790-2/11665174_489908927834359_517106340_n.mp4?efg=eyJxZSI6InZpZGVvX3ByZWZlcnJlZF90YWdzXzIwMTUwMTIxLDIwMTUwMTAxIiwicmxyIjozMzYsInJsYSI6NTEyfQ%3D%3D&rl=336&vabr=187&oh=ee736e7055948358899ae436a1081f35&oe=55A458CA

Not really. He is a work horse and doesn't depend on anyone to do his share of work. His work rate is excellent and his defensive contribution is up there with the best in the league.

(not directed at you) Also Schneiderlin has very good pace which is needed to cover the defense from counter attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Q: The fee for Schweinsteiger has been reported as €20 million. Was it really that high?

A: No, it wasn't. It's a nice, round sum that looks good on paper. Bayern didn't want to be seen as selling too cheaply, for fear of appearing as if they're dumping one of their talismans; and Manchester United are quite happy for it to be bandied about, for the opposite reason. The actual fee is much closer to €15 million.

Q: So what you're saying is that Bayern were quite happy to let them go?

A: There was certainly an understanding that they would not put an unrealistic price tag on him to prevent his departure. This was not one of those cases, like Toni Kroos' in 2014, where a player simply has to be sold because he's only got one year left on his contract and could otherwise go free 12 months later. Bayern felt they owed their longest-serving player at least an uncomplicated farewell if they didn't make him an offer to extend his contract beyond 2016.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/bayern-munich/132/blog/post/2521623/bayern-reasons-for-selling-schweinsteiger-to-man-unitedbayern-reasons-for-selling-schweinsteiger-to-man-united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Not really. He is a work horse and doesn't depend on anyone to do his share of work. His work rate is excellent and his defensive contribution is up there with the best in the league.

(not directed at you) Also Schneiderlin has very good pace which is needed to cover the defense from counter attacks.
    I thought he played a lot better when Wanyama was the deeper player and he was given a bit more freedom to play, he would have to be a bit positionally better to take over the role Carrick has been imo. Nobody better to teach him though I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Billy86 wrote: »
    He's not the real deal or next Drogba, not having a go at you or anything - he just strikes me as one of the most overrated/priced players 'in the market'. For my money he is the next Darren Bent, if anything. Great athlete, quality finisher... but just not enough of a rounded player to do well at a top European club in this day and age. At the very least he would need a more industrious style of play than LVG prefers in order to flourish.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy as a player and he hasn't had any issues I can recall off the pitch, but for me he would be pretty meh.

He's a vastly different type player to Bent. I'm not saying he's immediately a top, top player but I think some don't rate him from what they have seen in periods the last two seasons, but the fact is he was completely and utterly starved of service in most of Lambert's reign and still produced an incredible goal ratio from that. He's more rounded than you give him credit for too, whatever about the style of LVG, given any type of decent service and he is absolute quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I dont rate Benteke but he certainly isnt Bent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Marca still saying Ramos wants to quite Madrid. Would have thought those stories would have died with him being named the Madrid captain. As long as we get Otamendi in I am not too bothered about Ramos. I'd be comfortable with just he one CB signing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Marca still saying Ramos wants to quite Madrid. Would have thought those stories would have died with him being named the Madrid captain. As long as we get Otamendi in I am not too bothered about Ramos. I'd be comfortable with just he one CB signing.

Was he officially named captain or was it not a default thing since he was vice captain and their captain left (Casillas)? Regardless, the press ain't ones for letting a story drop easily....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

United confirmed no injury to Valdes just not selected for tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    United confirmed no injury to Valdes just not selected for tour.

So we are keeping De Gea or buying a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Marca gives credence to the Don Balon story from yesterday, Ramos and his wife have been learning English for months to help with a move to United, and he phoned LVG to tell him to be patient that he wants the move.

With Valdes not selected for the tour, and 99.9% certain to leave in the next couple of weeks, I do wonder what it means for the keeper situation. Clearly LVG reckons Valdes won't be the answer so it is DDG or someone else.

I can't see us moving for a keeper unless DDG is sold, so I wonder if a deal for a keeper has basically been agreed - just waiting to pull the trigger on it, should the need arise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

With Valdes not selected for the tour, and 99.9% certain to leave in the next couple of weeks, I do wonder what it means for the keeper situation. Clearly LVG reckons Valdes won't be the answer so it is DDG or someone else.

I can't see us moving for a keeper unless DDG is sold, so I wonder if a deal for a keeper has basically been agreed - just waiting to pull the trigger on it, should the need arise.

it's Lloris, he mentioned a while back that he "has an understanding" with Levy, that's what it is, imo.

Broken wrist notwithstanding.

it's Lloris, he mentioned a while back that he "has an understanding" with Levy, that's what it is, imo.

Broken wrist notwithstanding.

Was also talk yesterday that At. Madrid rejected an offer for Oblak, who has been linked with United recently.

There might be a couple of keepers we have on the list, ready to go, with a decision made at the time.

Wonder how much that understanding Lloris has is worth - my guess would be nothing....

yeah, your guess.

My guess is that there is a price agreed, and personal terms, and if the trigger is pulled then it'll be done in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think both United and Real Madrid have an agreement, but don't want to be seen as doing deals too easily, given selling De Gea or Ramos has the possibility of being contentious with some fans at each club.

So both go on tour, Real Madrid continue to leak that Ramos wants to leave to soften up the fans, just like we have been softened up and expect De Gea to leave.
    When they return a deal is done, and made look tortuous, like the Bale transfer was given how it dragged out.

Ramos and Otamendi defense looking possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

• Advertisement

jaysis, is that blind in the background? The state of his hairline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

2231358-330-500.jpg
    Danny-Blind-profiel-300x300.jpg

His dad, so this was always going to happen.

The irony and implication of your username is too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

it looks as though he just has his hair tied back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Daily Telegraph linking us with Lewandoski. They were on the button with Schweinstiger and Schneiderlin. Would be great signing

The irony and implication of your username is too good.

Oh really, I hadn't noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

11667491_880634015306950_3553141840522932104_n.jpg?oh=26b4a6c8341f15e962344c5b84fe76f0&oe=56112BE1

serious looking team

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Is Schneiderlin really that good ?
    As in good enough to tear it up in the Champions league or game v other top 4 teams ?
    I'm a bit meh on that transfer.

As the Bastian, as long as he gets an injury- free run he will be just immense for United

I agree, he's not that good. I'd still rate Carrick as a better DM. Schneiderlin has a similar style to Carrick - intelligent, disciplined, good defensively, good passing when given space, but relatively weak close control - and he's younger and more energetic. He can also play a more box-to-box role, so if he could develop his goal scoring then he could work very well in that role in this system. But that's a big if.

it saddens me that almost every team picked for next season has no Herrera in it :(

as ive said here before, he was our player of the year last year outside of DDG. its vital that any team we put out this year, has him in it - he is a cracking player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement