Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

bangkok wrote: »
    di maria is class but if we signed Cavani and Ramos he would quickly be forgotten about. we would have an unbelievable squad if we got those 2

I'd have Di Maria any day of the week ahead of Cavani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Cavani I just dont know.

I still think he is overrated.

Am I being harsh?

I think so.. he is a quality player, playing 2nd fiddle to zlatan and he still managed to score 31 goals last season, season before that 25.

year before that playing in Italy he scored 38 goals, before that 33 and before that 33. he is quality

ask yourself this, a lot of people hear saying we should go for Lacazette. if the choice is Lacazette or Cavani, you go for Cavani all day long. He has the physicality to play in the premir league as well.

Would be a class signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would be gutted to lose Di Maria.

But if he does want to leave aint much we can do but sell at big price.

But if they gave 60m now I say no

py2006 wrote: »
    I have this thing in my head about South American players just not adapting to English football

like sanchez, suarez and tevez? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think so.. he is a quality player, playing 2nd fiddle to zlatan and he still managed to score 31 goals last season, season before that 25.

year before that playing in Italy he scored 38 goals, before that 33 and before that 33. he is quality

ask yourself this, a lot of people hear saying we should go for Lacazette. if the choice is Lacazette or Cavani, you go for Cavani all day long. He has the physicality to play in the premir league as well.

Would be a class signing

Thats a fair argument.

Tbf I have not watched him enough to make a solid claim but for club or country when I have he not been as good as I hoped. But again maybe not watched him enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

yep...

nani
    bebe
    guillem balague
    welbeck
    david luiz
    de gea
    choo choo
    fergie
    tactics
    bull****
    kate upton gifs
    Rachel riley gifs
    stupid gifs
    Liverpool
    fellaini
    fantasy 11's

Let's talk about our feelings instead? How are we all feeling today?

I have this thing in my head about South American players just not adapting to English football

I have this thing in my head that women are crazy.
    Does that make my generalisation true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I'd have Di Maria any day of the week ahead of Cavani.

Was never a fan of Cavani, always felt he needed to get that finger out of his ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

In fairness I can't think of many South Americans adapting quickly in the PL.. Juninho, Asprilla?? I'm probably wrong and theres loads :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Yes, yes it does !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

It kinda does...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If you change that statement slightly, by saying "settling in England" rather than "adapting to England", you might be right. I'm probably forgetting some very obvious examples, but I can't think of many big name players who spent their peak years settled at an English club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Kun Aguero

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Kun Aguero

Bam!

The list has begun.

Edit: Gilberto Silva is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Indeed. But until there is verified facts, prepare or me to take aim at tabloid nonsense.

And the thread wouldn't be dead. We have always found crap to talk about when not shooting down tabloids.

Apparently it's not possible to measure a defenders worth either so can't compare any players any more as well.

Just have to settle for the multi-quote arguments and individual tantrums developed out of BS click bait articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Gilberto Silva for Arsenal

Conbhar wrote: »
    Gilberto Silva for Arsenal

You're like a whole minute too late with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pro. F wrote: »
    Bam!

The list has begun.

Edit: Gilberto Silva is another.

Aguero
    Gilberto Silva
    Esteban Cambiasso
    Gabriel Heinze
    Pablo Zabaletta
    Alexis Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Otamendi to sign in the next two weeks is today's rumour on Nicolas.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Aguero
    Gilberto Silva
    Esteban Cambiasso
    Gabriel Heinze
    Pablo Zabaletta
    Alexis Sanchez

Tevez, mascherano

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

RobertKK wrote: »
    Otamendi to sign in the next two weeks is today's rumour on Nicolas.

And if he doesn't sign by then, they will say we actually meant the following two weeks ha

Is there actually a realistic chance of getting Ramos? All the intial talk of him was quite exciting but there's been absolutely no (public) movement since?

Was the whole thing bull****, and even if it wasn't is there any chance Madrid would sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Aguero
    Gilberto Silva
    Esteban Cambiasso
    Gabriel Heinze
    Pablo Zabaletta
    Alexis Sanchez

Juninho, Poyet.

Edit: Not exactly huge names but still decent players.

Rafeal.
    Willian.
    Fernando
    Fernandinho.
    Oscar.
    Valencia.
    Chico.

Do we just remember the really bad ones more?kleberson for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oscar and Coutinho aren't doing too bad. Tevez and Mascharano settled in ok.

Then there are a ton of lesser players who still performed to their level in England.

• Advertisement

our very own Antonio Valencia, Solano at newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Is there actually a realistic chance of getting Ramos? All the intial talk of him was quite exciting but there's been absolutely no (public) movement since?

Was the whole thing bull****, and even if it wasn't is there any chance Madrid would sell?

Madrid are reported to have put a €90 million price tag on his head to stave off United.
    It will be very difficult to sign him, Ramos will need to be more proactive to force a deal. €4m to €5 million a year extra after tax at stake for Ramos according to rumours on his pay/proposed pay.
    The incentive might help make it happen. But at the moment hard to know, wouldn't be putting my money on any outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

You're like a whole minute too late with that one.

A few minutes late me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Rafeal.
    Willian.
    Fernando
    Fernandinho.
    Oscar.
    Valencia.
    Chico.

Do we just remember the really bad ones more?kleberson for example?

Mexico is North America.

Is there an argument for Lucas Leiva to be one of the better ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Kun Aguero
    Faistino Asprilla and Juan Pablo Angel?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Mexico is North America.

Central.

Still culturally more south than north.

Central.

It's North

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Tevez, mascherano

You couldn't describe Tevez's time in England as "settled", so he wouldn't fit what I was talking about. But he'd fit the "adapting to English football" question that py2006 initially asked.

Maschersno maybe counts, he was definitely playing in the peak of his career. But he only stayed at Liverpool for three and a half seasons before moving to Spain, so I'm not sure if that counts as him being settled at an English club.
    Aguero
    Gilberto Silva
    Esteban Cambiasso
    Gabriel Heinze
    Pablo Zabaletta
    Alexis Sanchez

Zabaletta I agree, to add to Aguero and Gilberto Silva.

Cambiasso only came to the league at 34; Heinze wasn't a big name and didn't stay long and Sanchez has only been there one season yet - so they wouldn't count for the (slightly arbitrary) parameters I was talking about.

Central.

It's definitely north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

No way you could describe Tevez's time in England as "settled".

Maschersno maybe counts, he was definitely playing in the peak of his career. But he only stayed at Liverpool for three and a half seasons before moving to Spain, so I'm not sure if that counts as him being settled at an English club.

Zabaletta I agree, to add to Aguero and Gilberto Silva.

Cambiasso only came to the league at 34; Heinze wasn't a big name and didn't stay long and Sanchez has only been there one season yet - so they wouldn't count for the (slightly arbitrary) parameters I was talking about.

Thats fair enough, to me they settled quickly and hit the ground running, thought that is what it was about. If its about consistency over a period then yeah they might not be included.

Although Heinze was excellent from the get go, until he started to be slowly replaced by Evra.

If its players who have come from that geographic and performed at the high level consistently for a period, gonna be a short list :0

And that list definitly doesn't contain Oscar, Willian or Coutinho :D

I'm eagerly waiting Bangkok to post Luiz...

It can be as far north as the North Pole but Mexico is far closer culturally to Argentina etc than USA.

Just like we are in Europe and more culturally the same to the English than the spainish are.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Madrid are reported to have put a €90 million price tag on his head to stave off United.
    It will be very difficult to sign him, Ramos will need to be more proactive to force a deal. €4m to €5 million a year extra after tax at stake for Ramos according to rumours on his pay/proposed pay.
    The incentive might help make it happen. But at the moment hard to know, wouldn't be putting my money on any outcome.

Yeah makes sense, cheers.

It can be as far north as the North Pole but Mexico is far closer culturally to Argentina etc than USA.

Just like we are in Europe and more culturally the same to the English than the spainish are.

Yes but geographically speaking it's North America

It's about South American players settling into the premier league Javier Hernandez is from Mexico which is in North America.

You can argue all you want you are wrong.

• Advertisement

It's about South American players settling into the premier league Javier Hernandez is from Mexico which is in North America.

Culturally speaking he has a point :)

Thats fair enough, to me they settled quickly and hit the ground running, thought that is what it was about. If its about consistency over a period then yeah they might not be included.

Although Heinze was excellent from the get go, until he started to be slowly replaced by Evra.

If its players who have come from that geographic and performed at the high level consistently for a period, gonna be a short list :0

And that list definitly doesn't contain Oscar, Willian or Coutinho :D

I'm eagerly waiting Bangkok to post Luiz...

ha actually forgot about him.

fa cup
    champions league
    Europa league
    143 games for Chelsea 12 goals
    sold for 50m

he was a success story no doubt about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If you're talking about settling into a new country, then culture is relevant. It would be silly to compare a Mexican player with a US American moving to the UK, rather than a Colombian.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Culturally speaking he has a point :)

Everyone else was speaking geographically not culturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

with Casillas gone, what do real have left?

i dont think they can afford to wait a year...if we dont sell now, i think they have to sign somebody else no?

They have navas :)

But this has turned into a trickey one amd the only way madrid csn come out of it as a winner is to sign him next year on a free.

Madrid bid 13 million if we are to go by marca and other tabloids.
    we refused to even talk about it unless they get ramos who is now their captain by default.
    If madrid try pay 30 million now for de gea they will look very weak compaired to united. If they sell ramos thry might face backlash but also getting rid of himso they can get a player in last year of his contract is not goodlooking either.

Perez has really ****ed this up in my opinion and either scenario works best for united.

have you ever been to mexico or argentina?

I may be geographically wrong but a map is a set of arbritary lines and cultures transcends these lines.
    Since we are European, are we the same as the Italians or the English?

Getting used to taking naps in the middle of the day is hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Is this an AH thread or the United thread? Culture vs. Geography. Without daily signings **** gets weird

have you ever been to mexico or argentina?

Tijuana when I was a young gowl. Have you? Based on even the most American Mexican town, they have vastly different cultures.
    Basing this off tv documentaries and general knowledge, so no, I guess I can't say I'm an authority on the issue.
    I have lived In Spain and Italy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I may be geographically wrong but a map is a set of arbritary lines and cultures transcends these lines.
    Since we are European, are we the same as the Italians or the English?

Getting used to taking naps in the middle of the day is hard.

But then should Italians, Portuguese and Spanish be included?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement