Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

JamboMac wrote: »
    Did the number 31 mean something specific to scweinsteiger as that might be his number if he gets to choose and an affinity with the number.

He made his debut at Bayern in #31 and kept it for the duration of his career there.

Currently the only "desireable" first team numbers available are 9, 15, 19, and 23. 6 would be vacated if Evans leaves, and 14 would be vacated by Chich.

I see Memphis in either 23 or 19, Scheniderlin in 6 or 15, Darmian in 14 or 15, but honestly don't know what Basti is going to do with the Afroman in his 31 and Di Maria in the 7 he wears for Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I have a mild case of OCD and get annoyed when players numbers don't suit them:P

I reckon Schweinsteiger 15, Schneiderlin 23, Darmian 2 (if Rafael leaves, if not 19 or 20), Depay 19 or 20 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    He made his debut at Bayern in #31 and kept it for the duration of his career there.

Currently the only "desireable" first team numbers available are 9, 15, 19, and 23. 6 would be vacated if Evans leaves, and 14 would be vacated by Chich.

I see Memphis in either 23 or 19, Scheniderlin in 6 or 15, Darmian in 14 or 15, but honestly don't know what Basti is going to do with the Afroman in his 31 and Di Maria in the 7 he wears for Germany.

It will be 19 or 23 He needs to keep up the prime numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

im going with Darmian with #2, Bastian on 15, Schneiderlin on 23, Depay 19, Kane 9 :D and Otamendi #6 (23 if Evans not moved on).

all of the above is completely depending on if/when Rafael, Evans and Hernandez are sold as that changes alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Actually, I doubt Fellani cares about the number 31, wouldn't be surprised if he changes to 15 or something different and Schweinsteiger gets 31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

People trying to give Schneiderlin no. 23 need to cop on. 23 will always be fondly remembered for the midfield colossus that was tc23. Schneiderlin doesn't deserve that kind of pressure to fill those shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

https://twitter.com/BSchweinsteiger/status/621347854750253056

He is competing with Herrera for who is more likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

duffman13 wrote: »
    People trying to give Schneiderlin no. 23 need to cop on. 23 will always be fondly remembered for the midfield colossus that was tc23. Schneiderlin doesn't deserve that kind of pressure to fill those shoes

Sch23 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/BSchweinsteiger/status/621347854750253056

He is competing with Herrera for who is more likeable.

He might reach herreras level but he will never be up there with Juan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

agent. i can 100% say that he is not going to sign for us anytime soon, the man is not leaving Germany.

FutureHomer

CHOO CHOOOOO

• Advertisement

Al Capwned wrote: »
    FutureHomer

CHOO CHOOOOO

Haha ill second that chooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

JamboMac wrote: »
    Did the number 31 mean something specific to scweinsteiger as that might be his number if he gets to choose and an affinity with the number.

Reminds him of what age he will be on his next birthday.

David may is right laugh doing the phone inmhe is straight out and honest, says he wouldnt touch david luiz with a barge pole i tend to agree with him there and says ramos is only using united for a contract.
    I wonder do the men that make the decisions think along these lines or wpuld they feel obliged to follow up on a ridulas quote from an agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rumours growing that Otamendi will be a United player within the next week, costing around £36 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The agent of Otamendi flying to Spain to complete the deal, he is quoted as saying there is a concrete offer from a club in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

irishchris wrote: »
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/454026/Christian-Benteke-Man-Utd-transfer-news

Benteke favourited a tweet which mentioned him moving to Old Trafford as backup to Wayne Rooney.

He quickly removed the favourite but the incident was identical to when Memphis Depay did the same thing before his move to United.

CHOOO CHOOO :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Looks like Vidal is off to Munich.

No wonder we got Bastian :P.

Guess that means Pogba being going no where this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

benteke is a beast. drogba like. would love to see him at old trafford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

bangkok wrote: »
    its not as if it just a number in fairness, its a multi million pound business to some players... Fergie was adamant Ronaldo took 7 when he joined even though he wanted 28.

Valencia didn't want no7 anymore as he felt to much pressure wearing the jersey. Rooney switched from no8 to no10 and said it gave him more confidence.. etc etc

There are rare exceptions such as no. 7 at united and I'm a traditionalist who likes the 1-11 days of old but in the end they really are just numbers and I really hope Van Gaal would clip a player around the ear if they ever made a fuss over what number they were given.

Benteke and otamendi would finish the squad off perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

jayo26 wrote: »
    Benteke and otamendi would finish the squad off perfect.

otamendi yes. Benteke no

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    otamendi yes. Benteke no

Who else would you take that's at a good age and has scored goals in premiership or a similar high standard that will be available for similar money?
    Not saying there is no1 else there but they are either 28 or 29 or will cost double what benteke will.
    Lacazette might be good but for the money he Is untried in a top league, griezman would cost alot more then benteke but wouldn't be available.

£32.4m for benteke is obscene money, no problem signing him for half that, but do ye honestly expect him to score 15-20 goals which is what a striker of that price should be scoring?

It's over €46m, when you look at it like that and compare to what the top clubs in Europe are getting the top strikers for, it makes you wonder.It's a hard one to call to be honest,The price is what's putting me off.

100 games in 3 seasons in England, 49 goals is a very decent return tho, thing is can he get that return in a United team?

Several players like him have scored goals for smaller clubs then struggled when they signed for bigger ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Who else would you take that's at a good age and has scored goals in premiership or a similar high standard that will be available for similar money?
    Not saying there is no1 else there but they are either 28 or 29 or will cost double what benteke will.
    Lacazette might be good but for the money he Is untried in a top league, griezman would cost alot more then benteke but wouldn't be available.

I doubt Griezmann even would cost that much more, Not that I think we'll get him, I do think Benteke would be a decent signing myself tbh

• Advertisement

£32.4m for benteke is obscene money, no problem signing him for half that, but do ye honestly expect him to score 15-20 goals which is what a striker of that price should be scoring?

It's over €46m, when you look at it like that and compare to what the top clubs in Europe are getting the top strikers for, it makes you wonder.It's a hard one to call to be honest,The price is what's putting me off.

100 games in 3 seasons in England, 49 goals is a very decent return tho.

Why wouldn't he score 15 to 20 goals tho I cant see why people dont think he can score goals.

11-12 season 19 goals in 35 games in Belgium
    12-13 19 goals in 34 games with villa

13-14 season scored 10 in 26 was injured too at end of season
    14-15 scored 13 goals in 28 games was injured at start of season from season before.

Not bad for 30 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

100 games in 3 seasons in England, 49 goals is a very decent return tho, thing is can he get that return in a United team?

Several players like him have scored goals for smaller clubs then struggled when they signed for bigger ones.
    I don't think we're going to get the striker you're looking for less than 30m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Benteke ain't perfect but he would be happy being a No2 striker and while the fee would be high it seems Ed isn't bothered by it.

I saw him at OT last season and by gos does he work over centre halves plus he is happy to hold up balls allowing wide men to get forward and benefit.

Not my first choice but I'd take him no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,663 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I cant see Benteke going to United when Rooney is the #9 and captain. People laugh at the idea of Delph and McCarthy going to Man City. It would be a similar mistake for Benteke to sign on as a backup striker to the Man United captain.

If a striker is signed, I think it will be out of the Solskjaer/Hernandez category. Not a big name on arrival, outside the PL but still able to settle and do a job in the squad.

Juan8 wrote: »
    I doubt Griezmann even would cost that much more, Not that I think we'll get him, I do think Benteke would be a decent signing myself tbh

I think he would, they sold mandzucic this summer because they have griezman he is under a long contract and scored around 30 goals last season they wpuldnt sell him for lower then 40 million if not 50.

• Advertisement

I think he would, they sold mandzucic this summer because they have griezman he is under a long contract and scored around 30 goals last season they wpuldnt sell him for lower then 40 million if not 50.

They bought him for €30m last summer, like said above the £32.5m it would take to buy Benteke is €46m, I doubt they'd reject €50m myself

Sand wrote: »
    I cant see Benteke going to United when Rooney is the #9 and captain. People laugh at the idea of Delph and McCarthy going to Man City. It would be a similar mistake for Benteke to sign on as a backup striker to the Man United captain.

If a striker is signed, I think it will be out of the Solskjaer/Hernandez category. Not a big name on arrival, outside the PL but still able to settle and do a job in the squad.

You would be surprised rooney is 30 now i cant see him going threw this season with no injuries or loosing form or been burnt out. Benteke would love to come in and have a chance of tsking over and even if he only got 20 odd games this season he would be certsin of more next year. Rooney will start fading soon if he is expected to play over 30 or 40 games a season at the rate he runs up and down the pitch.

They bought him for €30m last summer, like said above the £32.5m it would take to buy Benteke is €46m, I doubt they'd reject €50m myself

I wouldnt see them selling for that money but even saying they did take it your looking at paying similar amounts of money for 2 players with similar hit rates but one has done it in the premier league and the other hasnt, the only place id see griezman having the edge would be he can play wide left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If he can score 49 in 100 for villa he would def score more with United, better team, more possession, more chances and he would thrive on the big stage IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Benteke and Fellaini up front would be the most hatest duo in the world .

Benteke and Fellaini up front would be the most hatest duo in the world .

Haha the shivers i get when someone brings up fellani playing upfront.

I wouldnt see them selling for that money but even saying they did take it your looking at paying similar amounts of money for 2 players with similar hit rates but one has done it in the premier league and the other hasnt, the only place id see griezman having the edge would be he can play wide left.

Thats the advantage I'd see myself, If Rooney is fit he'll play most likely so any striker who comes in who can only play up front will only start 20/25 games max in all competitions if Rooney isn't injured/suspended a lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You would be surprised rooney is 30 now i cant see him going threw this season with no injuries or loosing form or been burnt out. Benteke would love to come in and have a chance of tsking over and even if he only got 20 odd games this season he would be certsin of more next year. Rooney will start fading soon if he is expected to play over 30 or 40 games a season at the rate he runs up and down the pitch.

I think this is the main thing to remember; even ignoring the fact we're going to have plenty more games to play this season coming (with, hopefully, multiple cup challanges), at his age, he'd have a good chance to establish himself and learn tactics this season and then possibly replace Rooney long term. He's going to have chances to prove himself as a second choice striker. Its not that he won't get games.

And if he doesn't work out, we can look for a star striker next summer.

As for "will he score", he did very well with a poor team. I'd genuinely love to see how he'd do at a better team. Even if we don't get him and Pool do, I look forward to seeing how he does making the step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Benteke signs for United, gets the run he will need, treated fair and stays injury free mostly then he will be a success at United. That's if its true etc.

And you can print that

Thats the advantage I'd see myself, If Rooney is fit he'll play most likely so any striker who comes in who can only play up front will only start 20/25 games max in all competitions if Rooney isn't injured/suspended a lot.

Yess but we have depay already that can do that he aint shy when it comes to playing up front and scoring goals.
    Benteke is stong fast and runs all over the place if we cant get an elite striker like benzema or lewandowski or one of the really top players id have benteke over most of the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

If Benteke signs for United, gets the run he will need, treated fair and stays injury free mostly then he will be a success at United. That's if its true etc.

And you can print that

I agree, I think he'd be like drogba for ye, he's a beast who scored a lot of goals in a truly terrible and negative villa team.

Did lvg say that Rooney is definitely no. 9 next season or are people just assuming? Could he not play a front 3 of depay, benteke,Rooney. That is a pretty scary looking forward line.

Yess but we have depay already that can do that he aint shy when it comes to playing up front and scoring goals.
    Benteke is stong fast and runs all over the place if we cant get an elite striker like benzema or lewandowski or one of the really top players id have benteke over most of the rest.

I'm not expecting loads next season from Depay myself, 10 goals in all comps would be a solid first season for him, I'm not against signing Benteke anyway

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think this is the main thing to remember; even ignoring the fact we're going to have plenty more games to play this season coming (with, hopefully, multiple cup challanges), at his age, he'd have a good chance to establish himself and learn tactics this season and then possibly replace Rooney long term. He's going to have chances to prove himself as a second choice striker. Its not that he won't get games.

And if he doesn't work out, we can look for a star striker next summer.

As for "will he score", he did very well with a poor team. I'd genuinely love to see how he'd do at a better team. Even if we don't get him and Pool do, I look forward to seeing how he does making the step up.

Thats it exactly. Just because he aint a superstar name people think he isnt good enough. He wouldnt be under the same pressure with united but would have more chances with our midfield. Couldnt see him not working out.

I'm not expecting loads next season from Depay myself, 10 goals in all comps would be a solid first season for him, I'm not against signing Benteke anyway

Yeh id be happy woth 10 goals from depay aswell but i think he might get more of he is a regular and tsking free kicks. That chap is lethal.

Yeh id be happy woth 10 goals from depay aswell but i think he might get more of he is a regular and tsking free kicks. That chap is lethal.

I think that LW spot is his yeah, But after Di Maria and Depay we're left with Young and Valencia for the wide spots ( I think Januzaj will be loaned out ) and I think we'll play 4-3-3 most of the time next season so I'd much rather someone like Griezmann/Lacazette who can play wide also cause if we're being honest going forward Young and Valencia don't offer much, I'm hoping they just end up back up LB and RB

Lukekul wrote: »
    I don't think we're going to get the striker you're looking for less than 30m

That's not my point though. If we are spending that sort of money, why not go "bigger"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Benteke is a very good striker, I'd be very happy with him coming in. Still a downgrade from RVP imo. But if RVP wants to leave for a starting gig, or his wages are just too much or whatever, then Benteke is a sensible replacement. Even though he's young, he's not a flash in the pan, he's been doing it for three seasons now at Villa.

If we're going with one CF then Rooney, Benteke and Depay as the flexible option looks good to me.

bangkok wrote: »
    If he can score 49 in 100 for villa he would def score more with United, better team, more possession, more chances and he would thrive on the big stage IMO

you see this logic is massively flawed and we see this season after season when strikers are doing well and are looking to transfer.

people always say this but more often than not going from a "small" club to a big club is too much to handle and the player gets found out.

For every Dwight yorke, there is a Ricky Lambert, a Bony or a Berbatov.

"David Moyes Disease " I would call it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That's not my point though. If we are spending that sort of money, why not go "bigger"?

I think we won't want a bigger name up front tbh; we might be after a big name for the wings (Ronaldo, Bale), but I think our striker will be someone to play second fiddle to Rooney. No "bigger" player is going to want that :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

you see this logic is massively flawed and we see this season after season when strikers are doing well and are looking to transfer.

people always say this but more often than not going from a "small" club to a big club is too much to handle and the player gets found out.

For every Dwight yorke, there is a Ricky Lambert, a Bony or a Berbatov.

"David Moyes Disease " I would call it.

Thats a bit harsh. Berbatov was fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement