Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Juan8 wrote: »
    I think that LW spot is his yeah, But after Di Maria and Depay we're left with Young and Valencia for the wide spots ( I think Januzaj will be loaned out ) and I think we'll play 4-3-3 most of the time next season so I'd much rather someone like Griezmann/Lacazette who can play wide also cause if we're being honest going forward Young and Valencia don't offer much, I'm hoping they just end up back up LB and RB

I mentioned the other day if we were going for cover for wings and goals up front id look at someone like kevin volland for young potential and can play left or right wong or up front and is super fast with decent goals ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Thats a bit harsh. Berbatov was fantastic.

Plus Bony has barely played for City and pretty much the same can be said about Lambert.

you see this logic is massively flawed and we see this season after season when strikers are doing well and are looking to transfer.

people always say this but more often than not going from a "small" club to a big club is too much to handle and the player gets found out.

For every Dwight yorke, there is a Ricky Lambert, a Bony or a Berbatov.

"David Moyes Disease " I would call it.

Ahh homer you could of picked better examples.

berbatov was a success here no doubt about it.
    lambert was over 30 and everyone other then rodgers was asking why woulod you sign him.
    bony has only had half a season and isnt been given games by city but would score goals if he got a chance in tye team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Looks like Vidal going to Bayern for €40m!

Mutv have a live feed from seattle now to introdice the new sognings and presser is coming up at half ten.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

irishfeen wrote: »

Spending that Muller money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

irishfeen wrote: »

Not gonna lie, even with Schneidersteiger, I'm heartbroken :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Thats a bit harsh. Berbatov was fantastic.

Ah come off it, there are many words people would use to describe Berbatov and his United career., fantastic is not one of them.

He had one good season and even that was massively flawed by a heap of goals in 3 or 4 games. Overall, I think most people would say he was a flop for £30m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

you see this logic is massively flawed and we see this season after season when strikers are doing well and are looking to transfer.

people always say this but more often than not going from a "small" club to a big club is too much to handle and the player gets found out.

For every Dwight yorke, there is a Ricky Lambert, a Bony or a Berbatov.

"David Moyes Disease " I would call it.

What do you mean found out.

Lambert was bought as a cheap backup and Bony has barely had a chance.

Berbatov was fantastic in a title winning season.

I fail to see how any of these are similar to Benteke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ah come off it, there are many words people would use to describe Berbatov and his United career., fantastic is not one of them.

He had one good season and even that was massively flawed by a heap of goals in 3 or 4 games. Overall, I think most people would say he was a flop for £30m.

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

30 million for a bench warmer I think is a bit stupid, I'd say we could get Bas Dost for cheaper and would probably chip in with as many goals.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What do you mean found out.

Lambert was bought as a cheap backup and Bony has barely had a chance.

Berbatov was fantastic in a title winning season.

I fail to see how any of these are similar to Benteke.

Think homer is just havong a moment its ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

while I can see the argument against Benteke - I honestly struggle to think of forwards at the same price that are a much better bet than him. As I was saying the other day, there seems to be a dearth of top level strikers these days.

The strikers I reckon we could go for:

Muller - Not a chance in hell Bayern will sell him having already pissed off their fans with the sale of Schweinsteiger.
    Lacazete - Is he really a better bet than Benteke. Not seen much of him, but he is only 6 months younger than Benteke, and scored less goals than Benteke since 2010, in a weaker league for a more dominant team.
    Kane - would cost more and not sure of him yet. Had one great season, will he continue that form?
    Cavani - would cost near twice the price according to rumours, and would be on massive wages, and would want to be the main man.
    Higuin - a poacher, not convinced by his alround game. Would he offer enough to the side outside the box? Would he be a rich mans Hernandez.

Apart from Ronaldo and Bale, I don't see any strikers we could really consider getting that are a massively better bet than Benteke. I'd take Benzema over him if we could get him. I'd probably take the gamble on Kane ahead of him too - almost just because he is english, I like having english players in the squad/team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

By that logic RVP was a flop too?

JamboMac wrote: »
    30 million for a bench warmer I think is a bit stupid, I'd say we could get Bas Dost for cheaper and would probably chip in with as many goals.

Doost had a run of a few goals last season he shouldnt or wouldnt get near our squad he has never scored goals regulary at a decent level. Also have you seen how slow he is,

I honestly can't belive people think that Berbatov was a success for the club.

Loved the guy and he had some amazing moment but my word let's get real lads, the man was a huge disappointment overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

LVG Press conference on Ssn now

I honestly can't belive people think that Berbatov was a success for the club.

Loved the guy and he had some amazing moment but my word let's get real lads, the man was a huge disappointment overall.

You went from arguing benteke to arguing berbatov been a flop or not, he probably wasnt one of our best signings ever but the succes of the team with him in it says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Live LVG interview from Seattle with the 3 new signings on now on Sky Sports News lads

I missed LVG :)

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Doost had a run of a few goals last season he shouldnt or wouldnt get near our squad he has never scored goals regulary at a decent level.

He's a striker who provide something completely different than Rooney, the bundesliga 17 starts 4 subs 16 goals not a good return, I'd see it as a good record.

Benteke 26 app and 3 subs 13 goals, stats don't lie and he'd be cheaper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd be very happy to have Benteke at the club. Proven goalscorer despite being in a team that gives him little service.

On his day he pretty much can make Sh!t of a team singlehandedly.

Couldn't care less about the price. Not my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It could be argued that he contributed more to a title winning season than Rooney has up to now. Seeing as he carried the can up front when Rooney was acting the prick handing in a transfer request. His and Nani's form that season are totally under-heralded in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Rafa all but confirmed gone I'd say.

LVG saying the midfielders he signed have to compete with Carrick and Blind and Matteo Darmian must compete with Valencia.

Subtle dig at Rafael there???

He's a striker who provide something completely different than Rooney, the bundesliga 17 starts 4 subs 16 goals not a good return, I'd see it as a good record.

He scored 8 of them goals last season in 3 games in a row he only scores 2 goals in 9 starts in europa league and 2 goals in 6 in the german cup so if you ad them all up his hit rate aint as good as you just made out. I may of been harsh but id much prefer someone thats done it in premier league with the same hit rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Subtle dig at Rafael there???

He mentioned Valencia knew who was coming in and he had to fight. Strange that he didn't just say raf and Valencia will have to fight.

Then the thing about the tactical awareness.
    He must be off and knows he is off, rvp knew he was off after the season according to lvg .

I like bastian he is a bit of a joker he seems to have settled in well.

Valencia will be starting the season as the right back I would say.
    Darmain finding English hard, will be hard to lvg to translate what he wants

Ahhh lvg.
    Ohhhh phil Townsend speaks Italian, we could have used.

Lvg: why you tell me know?

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    He scored 8 of them goals last season in 3 games in a row he only scores 2 goals in 9 starts in europa league and 2 goals in 6 in the german cup so if you ad them all up his hit rate aint as good as you just made out. I may of been harsh but id much prefer someone thats done it in premier league with the same hit rate.

Sorry I didn't understand to fit your criteria he had to score only one goal each game which clearly that's what benteke did last season. I'm lost.

Valdes no selected because he doesn't follow "our philosophy"
    See ya Vic

LVG confirms Valdes will be sold.
    Straight up. No bull****.

Love the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Berbatov is a free agent after leaving Monaco. See these dots: .......

I've just joined them up and it tells me that the Berb is the word and a 1 year contract would be glorious :)

"I wanna shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I wanna explore the world. I wanna watch TV in a different time zone. I wanna visit strange, exotic malls. I'm sick of eating hoagies. I want a grinder, a sub, a foot-long hero. I want to LIVE, Marge. Won't you let me live? Won't you, please?" (Homer J Simpson, 1994)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Pretty much confirmation that Valdes is out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wow. LVG not holding back on Valdes.

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn't understand to fit your criteria he had to score only one goal each game which clearly that's what benteke did last season. I'm lost.

Didnt say that i just pointed thst out he had a very rich scoring form where he scored half his goals in 3 games. You said stats dont lie but if you dont leave out his cup stats as ypu did well then his stats are not as good as you said they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Whoever it is (if we even do) we sign, they have to be a fairly rounded striker that can drop deep and provide at times aswell as being a goalscorer. Rooney, Van Persie, Lewandowski, Muller type players have always played that role for Van Gaal. We didn't see it an awful lot last year but the wingers always tend to go further ahead of the main striker in his sides.

Valdes career over at Utd by the looks of things - "He is not selected because he does not follow my philosophy."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How does a goalkeeper with good distribution not fit in to LVG's philosophy?! He's a keeper FFS!! How far wrong can he be?

Jesus. Turns out valdes was acting te gowl.
    Refused to play in the second team last year.
    Took from it that he was just acting the gowl as well.

Love how lvg does no bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Mars Bar wrote: »
    How does a goalkeeper with good distribution not fit in to LVG's philosophy?! He's a keeper FFS!! How far wrong can he be?

LVG is clearly not happy with his atitude. Nothing to do with football ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I presume it has nothing to do with his ability but his attitude.

He was misbehaving and not doing what he was told is what I took from it.

Lvg likes to use the word philosophy to describe attitude as well as tactics.

Refusing to play for the reserves and not being a model pro by the sounds of it.

Wow what a press conference!!!!!

Media hitting on a storm here with valdez they wontnlet it drop now.

Hernandez is staying.

Jesus we mightn't have a GK at the start of the season .. :)

I wish MUTV would make the press conferences FTA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Stats lie if you don't investigate them properly. What were Dost's expected goals numbers like? Have you looked into his conversion rates? Are they sustainable or might he be on a hot streak? What were his stats like previous seasons? How would you compare the difficulty of scoring in the EPL to the Bundesliga? If you're not taking these questions into account then you are going to find stats quite misleading.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement