Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yeh agreed but we aint paying 3 year contract and id nearly bet on it valdez contract was heavily favoured to apperances.

I'm aware of that, but regardless - if you're a business, you don't just give someone 500k-1m quid and say 'good luck'. You try get them off the books which they most likely will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Make or break time for LvG now - you start throwing players under the bus like that and you damn sure better be successful in the short/medium team.

Valdes threw himself under the bus?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Make or break time for LvG now - you start throwing players under the bus like that and you damn sure better be successful in the short/medium team.
    What's the relevance between what he said and whether or not Utd with trophies next season? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm aware of that, but regardless - if you're a business, you don't just give someone 500k-1m quid and say 'good luck'. You try get them off the books which they most likely will.

Yep i understand your point too but its not unheard of if he has a bad attitude to just get rid.
    Obviously he has really ruffeled lvgs feathers for him to publicly come out and say what he has compaired to van persie where he stayed quiet and said the conversation should be kept quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Rojo , di maria and hernandez are all linking up with the squad during the tour.

Guess there staying so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Did Valdes not play loads of reserve games last year? All a bit bizarre and he is saying he played him in the last match to put him in the shop window?

Was anyone else kind of happy to hear hernandes may have a future? Yeh he may not be the level we need but he is brilliant at coming on and changing a game and id so love to see him winning over lvg, when i think of hernandez i tgink of the joy on his face after scoring his first goal for us in the charity shield you could see he just loves scoring. Not to mention his backward header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love to see Chico stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Pro. F wrote: »
    Do you watch the Bundesliga? The defending is generally very poor compared to the EPL imo.

Indeed. The goals ratio is far higher in the Bundesliga. Compare the over 2.5 goals odds for an average game in both leagues. Bundesliga averages 3 goals a game most years, the prem about 2.5, 2.6 or so. Massive difference

• Advertisement

when i think of hernandez i tgink of the joy on his face. Not to mention his backward header.

I love the guy, the joy on my face now when i think of that goal.

He is pacey and good off the bench, exactly what we need as our bench striker.

Hope he stays and gets game time.

Even just 1 season or 6 months and if it dosnt work out , then so be it

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I love the guy, the joy on my face now when i think of that goal.

He is pacey and good off the bench, exactly what we need as our bench striker.

Hope he stays and gets game time.

Even just 1 season or 6 months and if it dosnt work out , then so be it

High five to that mate. It wont cost us anything to keep him id be happy with that.
    Are you getting butterflies thinking of him scoring come on tell the truth haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Looks like Bayern are adding Vidal to an already impressive midfield. I said yesterday its how the elite clubs operate, adding good players to a sqaud even if they have good players in that position already.

This is what we should be doing to. Get Verrati over here

To Munich Schweinsteiger is almost a cast off. Bid for Reus and the other top players before Munich or Barca put in a late bid, and get our CB's in the meanwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I really rate Hernandez. Like I really think he is a top quality striker. But would he fit with this Van Gaal system? It seems like the CF needs to be strong at keeping possession in the system that LVG ended up going with. But that just isn't Hernandez's game. Are we going to change the system again?

I'd rather see Hernandez go somewhere where the set-up complements his strengths than continue to be fùcked around for another season. It's getting frustrating at this stage.

Looks like Bayern are adding Vidal to an already impressive midfield. I said yesterday its how the elite clubs operate, adding good players to a swaud even if they have good players in that position already.

To Munich Schweinsteiger is almost a cast off. Bid for Reus and the other top players before Munich or Barca put in a lte bid, and get our CB's in the meanwhile.

In fairness we are doing that but were playing catch up. And we cant add too msny players or were trying to gel a whole new team again. Its a prosesh that takes time and united are in middle of the prosesh.

I'd be fairly certain we won't sign a striker this summer judging on what Van Gaal has said. Unless we sell Hernandez.

I really rate Hernandez. Like I really think he is a top quality striker. But would he fit with this Van Gaal system? It seems like the CF needs to be strong at keeping possession in the system that LVG ended up going with. But that just isn't Hernandez's game. Are we going to change the system again?

I'd rather see Hernandez go somewhere where the set-up complements his strengths than continue to be fùcked around for another season. It's getting frustrating at this stage.

But wouldn't it be a good idea to have a player that was different from the first choice system. We are not always going to play the one way or else teams would have us sussed after a few weeks.

High five to that mate. It wont cost us anything to keep him id be happy with that.
    Are you getting butterflies thinking of him scoring come on tell the truth haha.

Ill set the scene.

Away at anfield, the game is 1-1 after Herrera played Mata in the the 1st. Johny evens then scores an og(all other cb's are injured)

It reaches the 80th min and wayne is getting tired, LVG looks at the bench, sees that smile from Hernandez.

On you go lad.

Depay get the ball in the 93rd min, does some skills, turns jordan henderson inside out, crosses the ball.

Gary neville goes mad on the mic Goaallllllllll he screams

Backwards header from Hernandez.

That sums it all up.

Looks like Bayern are adding Vidal to an already impressive midfield. I said yesterday its how the elite clubs operate, adding good players to a sqaud even if they have good players in that position already.

To Munich Schweinsteiger is almost a cast off. Bid for Reus and the other top players before Munich or Barca put in a late bid, and get our CB's in the meanwhile.

I fully appreciate what you say here and I would agree.

But, we are still in a recycle stage. I think we're a season away from seeing this. We kinda need to see what works first or doesn't before I think we can add real strength.

Hopefully in the future, for now it's getting a good first 11 and decent backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

I'd be fairly certain we won't sign a striker this summer judging on what Van Gaal has said. Unless we sell Hernandez.

Sadly I think after watching that I have to agree with you

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Ill set the scene.

Away at anfield, the game is 1-1 after Herrera played Mata in the the 1st. Johny evens then scores an og(all other cb's are injured)

It reaches the 80th min and wayne is getting tired, LVG looks at the bench, sees that smile from Hernandez.

On you go lad.

Depay get the ball in the 93rd min, does some skills, turns jordan henderson inside out, crosses the ball.

Gary neville goes mad on the mic Goaallllllllll he screams

Backwards header from Hernandez.

That sums it all up.

And hernandez goes running over to celebrate with the fans

He reaches the corner flag but trips over it falls flat on his face but stands up and he is still smiling after beating the scousers.

But, we are still in a recycle stage. I think we're a season away from seeing this. We kinda need to see what works first or doesn't before I think we can add real strength.

Hopefully in the future, for now it's getting a good first 11 and decent backup.

Very true. If we win the title or make a good run at winning it, then we can buy even better next season. I can't see the club resting on their laurels like years past when we've had success - from now on we'll look to improve and buy the best year on year. But this summer is an excellent start.

Would you think we are far from a first 11 thst would match most of Europe? I dont think we are far off its the strenght in dept we need.
    At the end of the day bayern can still only play 3 midfielders if they go 433 and if we take 3 from herrera,schweinsteiger,schniderlin,carrick we would match most midfields out there.
    We need a first choice centerback most importantly to plsy beside smslling if he is going to be a regular going forward.

But wouldn't it be a good idea to have a player that was different from the first choice system. We are not always going to play the one way or else teams would have us sussed after a few weeks.

Variation is good I agree. I was talking about that earlier with Depay as the flexible/third-choice striker. But for the second choice striker to be something completely different to the first choice one, requiring a very different set-up, then that would mean too much disruption every time Rooney can't play imo.

Having Hernandez as the third choice option would make sense to me for what you are describing. But I'd hate to see him fùcked around like that. I'm eager to see the lad actually playing regularly somewhere.

I could just be reading too much into this. It might just not be that much of an issue playing Hernandez in the 4141 system. I do think his hold up play is better than he is generally given credit for and with Schweinsteiger in midfield the team might not need the CF to be carrying so much of the responsibility for keeping possession anymore (although that does depend on Schweinsteiger being fit).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

First press conference of the Tour

• Advertisement

Would you think we are far from a first 11 thst would match most of Europe? I dont think we are far off its the strenght in dept we need.
    At the end of the day bayern can still only play 3 midfielders if they go 433 and if we take 3 from herrera,schweinsteiger,schniderlin,carrick we would match most midfields out there.
    We need a first choice centerback most importantly to plsy beside smslling if he is going to be a regular going forward.

I think we are short 3 players from being top team who would be presence in Europe.

2 CB and a striker. That's as things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Still don't know if I'd read too much into the Herrnandez comments. Van Gaal was just stating what is technically correct - I let him got last summer because we had too many strikers and now he is back. Still wouldn't be surprised to see him sold.

Di Maria comments were more worrying but again you never know with Van Gaal. Could be low level trolling from him to keep himself amused in front of the press.

I agree with others on here that it's great that he is straight talking, but at the same time he only is with what he wants to give out. He can be as vague as **** when he doesn't really want to talk about something, or just point blank refuse to answer.

So you have the black and white of the straight answer or no answer and then the more subtle grey are where he sounds like he's answering a question but the answer could mean anything and he isn't really answering at all.

Variation is good I agree. I was talking about that earlier with Depay as the flexible/third-choice striker. But for the second choice striker to be something completely different to the first choice one, requiring a very different set-up, then that would mean too much disruption every time Rooney can't play imo.

Having Hernandez as the third choice option would make sense to me for what you are describing. But I'd hate to see him fùcked around like that. I'm eager to see the lad actually playing regularly somewhere.

I could just be reading too much into this. It might just not be that much of an issue playing Hernandez in the 4141 system. I do think his hold up play is better than he is generally given credit for and with Schweinsteiger in midfield the team might not need the CF to be carrying so much of the responsibility for keeping possession anymore (although that does depend on Schweinsteiger being fit).

I think your along the right lines to me it feels like lvg wants the defence to defend and the midfield to do the inbetween work and the forwards to score goals, our holding midfielders signed this summer will relieve the need for rooney to track back or as u said for a player like hernandez to be holding up the ball.

I think we are short 3 players from being top team who would be presence in Europe.

I'd be willing to go with a new CB (looking more like Otamendi) and Smalling next season with Jones and Rojo as backup.

Definitely think we're going to try make a big signing like Bale (just an example) close to the window closing.

And other than maybe having to replace De Gea, that'll be our business done for this window.

The system LVG had Rooney playing in with those victories vs Spurs and City, whereby didnt touch the ball much but pushed up constantly on teh centre halves, creating space. Could see Hernandez working well in that role? If there's one thing Hernandez is good at its movement and making defenders think. He always has to be accounted for. Obviously lose a bit on his hold up play but with so few touches it mighnt be a massive issue

• Advertisement

Yeh fair enough hopefully smalling or jones can tske up one of them positions rightfully.

Yeh fair enough hopefully smalling or jones can tske up one of them positions rightfully.

I think 1 CB with a good partnership alongside Smalling\Rojo, along with striker, should see us do very well against any side.

I be worried though if we got few injuries in back line, even though we have options there should only be short term and nothing more.

I think 1 CB with a good partnership alongside Smalling\Rojo, along with striker, should see us do very well against any side.

I be worried though if we got few injuries in back line, even though we have options there should only be short term and nothing more.

Its not as if we are ever going to have our 3 first choice center backs missing at once is it? Your worrying about nothing :):)

Seriously tho whatever about buying half a team in one window we cant buy a squad. If we get otamendi id be happy with our defence we would have a mixture of youth and experience and if either smalling or jones dont show any sign of stepping it up another level well then we would need another signing next year.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The system LVG had Rooney playing in with those victories vs Spurs and City, whereby didnt touch the ball much but pushed up constantly on teh centre halves, creating space. Could see Hernandez working well in that role? If there's one thing Hernandez is good at its movement and making defenders think. He always has to be accounted for. Obviously lose a bit on his hold up play but with so few touches it mighnt be a massive issue

The difference is possibly that when Rooney plays there in comparison to Chico is that if Rooney drops into the space between midfield and attack that the defender has to make a decision because Rooney can hurt a team when he has that pocket of space and willing runners either side.

In the examples youmentioned - think Neville did a piece on MNF about his lack of touches but amount of positional work - Chico could definitely do that. But a defender knows that Chico isn't going to drop and create so he can just sit and hold his line even if Hernandez drops in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

In theory 8 defenders should be enough. At moment we have

Darmian,
    Jones
    Smalling
    Shaw

Rojo
    Daley Blind
    Evans
    Valencia

Backed up by New Signing plus Mcnair and Blackett. My main worry however is that definsively, we can't seem to keep defenders fit so I would keep Evans and let him fight it out for game time with Jones and Rojo if Smalling is injured for example

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

I'd prefer 2 top class CBs than 1 CB and 1 striker. Think we'd get by with Rooney, Depay, Hernandez, Fellaini and Wilson up front but not so sure about a couple of defensive injuries and Jones is starting. Particularly if De Gea goes - he papered over lots of cracks.

Its not as if we are ever going to have our 3 first choice center backs missing at once is it? Your worrying about nothing :):)

We had 6 expierenced possible centre halves last year including Blind and Carrick didn't we? Unbelievable that we were reduced to having a youth teamer in there for such a high % of games.

If we hadn't one injury throughout this whole coming season, and every one of our rivals lost their star player for the year, i'd still call us unlucky I think. Never seen anything like last year before, or likely again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

We had 6 expierenced possible centre halves last year including Blind and Carrick didn't we? Unbelievable that we were reduced to having a youth teamer in there for such a high % of games.

If we hadn't one injury throughout this whole coming season, and every one of our rivals lost their star player for the year, i'd still call us unlucky I think. Never seen anything like last year before, or likely again

I know I was joking but yehh Las year hopefully was a freak once off.

I know I was joking but yehh Las year hopefully was a freak once off.

I know yeah. Hopefully anyway. nothing more frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Definsive injuries cost us a title in 09/10 and 11/12 also in my opinion.

Remember when we only had 3 fit "defenders" against Fulham and we lost 3-0??

We had Ctrl Alt, Carrick and Evra as the back 3 with PIG in goals.

That means Vds,Rafael, Neville, Browne, O Shea, Rio, Vidic And Evans were all missing. It was not that bad last season!!

I think that Rooney did actually touch the ball a fair bit in those games, it was just that an awful lot of it was back-to-goal from the CF position, as opposed to the dropping deeper, more directly creative play we're used to seeing him doing. So he was doing unspectacular stuff, but still something that he is a lot better at doing than Hernandez. I agree that Hernandez is very good at the off the ball movement as you describe.

Maybe with the simplified CF job of staying up top and keeping the passing simple Hernandez's limitations aren't as much of an issue as I fear. I'd be excited to see it if LVG thinks he can make it work.

That means Vds,Rafael, Neville, Browne, O Shea, Rio, Vidic And Evans were all missing. It was not that bad last season!!

It seemed last season they were all out together for longer if you get me.
    Anyway I'm off peace out yaalll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Lets just buy Charlie Austin for £15 million and be done with it.

Decent player and would probably be happy as a sub.

I think last season was all over the park as opposed to just defence, but yeah I agree with you. Fletcher at rb for a period around then? We had a horrible run in 08-09 also from what I remember, but still managed to come out with a high points total. Squad was very strong in those days though

In theory 8 defenders should be enough. At moment we have

Darmian,
    Jones
    Smalling
    Shaw

Rojo
    Daley Blind
    Evans
    Valencia

Backed up by New Signing plus Mcnair and Blackett. My main worry however is that definsively, we can't seem to keep defenders fit so I would keep Evans and let him fight it out for game time with Jones and Rojo if Smalling is injured for example

I know we've had bad, bad spells before but 8 should be enough backed up by the youngsters (McNair, Blackett and possibly James). Let Evans go IMO, and bring in Otamendi and we're set. Primarily because we have a lot of flexible players in those 8 (along with Carrick as a last resort at CB).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd wonder if bringing Hernandez on tour might just be a marketing thing to sell a few more tickets in San Jose or somewhere and would be sold after. It's hard to really know what's happening with anyone bar Rafael and Valdes really now imo. There's Di Maria, DDG, Evans and one or two others I'd not be surprised if they stayed or left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Have a look at this Aston Villa fan's ridiculously detailed report on Benteke. He posted it in the Liverpool subreddit when they were linked last month to explain why he is commonly misunderstood.

Makes very good reading:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/3bjl5z/clearing_up_some_misconceptions_surrounding/

He's young, a freak of an athlete, a proven scorer, and someone who regularly gives United all sorts of problems. The price is ridiculously high, but it's £4m more expensive than Ander Herrera, who nobody knew would adapt as quickly as he did when we signed him. This is the price for a talented young player who's club want to keep him now.

Benteke, if he was willing to be patient and make the most of his chances like Hernandez in his first year, could offer us something very different and I'd be all for it. The #20 shirt is free and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd wonder if bringing Hernandez on tour might just be a marketing thing to sell a few more tickets in San Jose or somewhere and would be sold after.

Enough to cover the extra few weeks wages we pay him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd wonder if bringing Hernandez on tour might just be a marketing thing to sell a few more tickets in San Jose or somewhere and would be sold after. It's hard to really know what's happening with anyone bar Rafael and Valdes really now imo. There's Di Maria, DDG, Evans and one or two others I'd not be surprised if they stayed or left.

United don't need Hernandez to sell tickets for pre season games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement