Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

zerks wrote: »
    Liverpool Echo saying Liverpool have decided to activate Benteke's release clause.

They can have him, we can get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Adamocovic wrote: »
    On the whole clearance thing, you must remember firstly, Vidic is 6 foot 2 I think and Smalling is slightly taller yet. Jones on the other hand is 5 foot 10 (or thereabouts) and spent a lot of his time playing alternating between right back, midfield and centre back which affect the amount of clearances he would have to make.

Jones is about 6'1" according to transfermarkt and whoscored (converting from metric of 185cm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

JamboMac wrote: »
    They can have him, we can get better.

Are you starting again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Liverpool Echo saying Liverpool have decided to activate Benteke's release clause.

If its true about Marco Reus being available, I'd be going after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Benteke off to Liverpool so we can mark him off the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Shame about Benteke we definitely missed out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

It was never going to happen.

If Van Gaal wanted him he could have got him, passed on him more like

Whether that's a good decision or not remains to be seen

Benteke off to Liverpool so we can mark him off the list

Going to be an excellent signing for them if they get him

If Vahttp://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/editor/separator.gifn Gaal wanted him he could have got him, passed on him more like

Whether that's a good decision or not remains to be seen

All the Benteke talk was nonsense from the start IMO. This is how the press does things these days: Liverpool are actually in for a player - better write a story on how United are going to derail their bid by trying to sign him. With no factual evidence. Same happened with Firmino, same with Schneiderlin (IIRC).

I'm still of the opinion that unless Hernandez goes, we won't sign a striker.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Are you starting again lol

Seems van gaal shares my opinion on benteke at Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Im glad we didnt sign him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Vidal story makes me sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Im glad we didnt sign him

I would agree, would be a good signing at a lower price like something in the £7mn neighbourhood Villa got him for from Genk. But for £32.5mn, I don't see him justifying that fee and in my opinion there are a lot of question marks over how he would work out at a 'top' team like us (as opposed to being a big fish in a small pond like at Villa), or playing a lot of pass-and-move, possession based football.

I am also not sure how they plan to use him with Sturridge - possibly both ahead of Coutinho in a 4-3-1-2 type of set up, or the injuries from last season for Sturridge could be ongoing/worse than expected. He is definitely a good way from being a like-for-like replacement with Sterling either way.

Bring back Hernandez and get in a Young talented Striker and a CB and im happy for this window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Benteke would be a better signing for them than us.

In fairness to them, they are having a really good Window, ours depends on DDG and Di Maria.

Bring back Hernandez and get in a Young talented Striker and a CB and im happy for this window

The goal keeping situation still has to be resolved also, thats for sure and there are question marks about Di Marias future.

adox wrote: »
    The goal keeping situation still has to be resolved also, thats for sure and there are question marks about Di Marias future.

Di Maria I believe will stay at United

Yep we need a goal keeper, forgot about that. We may need 2 keepers

Seems van gaal shares my opinion on benteke at Utd.

What did he sign bas dost?

I never said united couldn't get better but for 30 million you wont buy another premiership player that has the stats to back up a goal ratio of one in every two games.

If we spent 50 million we would get better but for 30 million there ain't anyone available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

In fairness to them

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Pro. F wrote: »
    Jones is about 6'1" according to transfermarkt and whoscored (converting from metric of 185cm).

You're right, I always thought he was was slightly under 6 foot but says he's nearly 6 foot 1, just double checked my other heights and Vidic is actually around 6 foot 3 and Smalling 6 foot 4 according to transfermarkt. It appears I was wrong on all their heights, consistent at least :P.

I still think the height difference plays some what of a factor for clearances and also the point I made about how Jones was regularly switched to RB and CM which would reduce the amount of clearance he would have to make. Last year when he played CB for the entire season he on average made more than Smalling.

I think I've probably talked too much about Phil Jones for some peoples likening so I'll just end it with I like him and hope he does well :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

That Dustin Johnson is a real street golfer

sours depends on DDG and Di Maria.

A very apt typo.

jayo26 wrote: »
    What did he sign bas dost?

I never said united couldn't get better but for 30 million you wont buy another premiership player that has the stats to back up a goal ratio of one in every two games.

If we spent 50 million we would get better but for 30 million there ain't anyone available.

Really coz my hole point was bas dost was as good an option but cheaper, it's funny how highly rated benteke is in England but you never hear of any large club around Europe sniffing about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I really do hope we are going for a striker, even if it is not benteke. Maybe it will be Cavani, or an insane push for Kane. Don't see anyone else as being realistic targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

If we include Hernandez we sign another young striker? Do you think Wilson has no future?

Anybody else notice when van gaal was talking about his striker when he came to United, he mentioned wellbeck van persie and so on, except he didn't put Rooney in the striker category.

This was in his press conference yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

There's going to be a lot of United fans eating humble pie of those Benteke rumours turned out to be false and he signs for us, my Twitter timeline is awash with "he is s*hit anyway"....

adox wrote: »
    The Vidal story makes me sad.

ME too.

I'd love if we signed him ,love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's going to be a lot of United fans eating humble pie of those Benteke rumours turned out to be false and he signs for us, my Twitter timeline is awash with "he is s*hit anyway"....

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/621663643453755392

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Anybody else notice when van gaal was talking about his striker when he came to United, he mentioned wellbeck van persie and so on, except he didn't put Rooney in the striker category.

Did you not see the bombardment I got this morning for quoting VGs comments?

If we include Hernandez we sign another young striker? Do you think Wilson has no future?

I like Wilson but I would prefer he was loaned out to a mid table team for game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/liverpool-legend-jamie-carragher-will-wear-a-man-united-shirt-on-live-tv-tweets/
    Jamie Carragher recently lost a bet against Gary Neville which meant he would have to wear a Manchester United shirt.

Gary Neville sent his Sky Sports co-pundit a shirt in the post and the former Man United right back confirmed a date and time of when Jamie Carragher would don the shirt.

The first Sky Sports Monday Night Football of the season, on August 10th, will see Jamie Carragher do the unimaginable and wear his rivals shirt for charity.
    LOL!!

CKCIi70WcAAFJy6.png

Coat22 wrote: »
    Did you not see the bombardment I got this morning for quoting VGs comments?

Well in all fairness he usually played off a main striker rather than being the focal point.

Sure why not - he wore a Liverppol one for years and he's an Everton fan:):)

People are setting themselves for a fair bit of angry posting if they think we're going to sign a striker this window.

That comes with the caveat that if Hernandez or Di Maria goes then we'll sign one IMO.

Really coz my hole point was bas dost was as good an option but cheaper, it's funny how highly rated benteke is in England but you never hear of any large club around Europe sniffing about him.

You said dost had alot better goal to game ratio then benteke and you left out a lot of games that showed he actually hadn't.
    Benteke is rated in England because he has a very good goal ratio in England.
    Anyway this was Las nights entertainment sorry for bringing it up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

because he costs £32.5m and there are not many clubs around Europe that can afford that type of fee and the ones that can don't need a striker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

So according to transfermarkt these are our players out of contract at the end of the coming season, theres only 2 players there that id like not to lose. De Gea and Hernandez.

Wilson must have signed a new contract or else that website is unreliable.

c53c6beef5579a5c167eb4da7725788c.png

In fairness to them, they are having a really good Window, ours depends on DDG and Di Maria.

More depends on who we replace them with if they do in fact go. Be positive Homer.. they're both staying. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It's the Liverpool echo who reported it ya? Is that what people are jumping on?

It's weird how the second a rumour involving another club apart from utd is reported it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    So according to transfermarkt these are our players out of contract at the end of the coming season, theres only 2 players there that id like not to lose. De Gea and Hernandez.

Wilson must have signed a new contract or else that website is unreliable.

c53c6beef5579a5c167eb4da7725788c.png

did young not just sign a 3 or 4 year deal? and carrick signed another year or 2 i thought

He probably meant it in a way that Rooney was the striker and the other names mentioned would be fighting for his place.

Thats how i interpreted it anyway.

magnumbud wrote: »
    did young not just sign a 3 or 4 year deal? and carrick signed another year or 2 i thought

Website must be wrong so

Julez wrote: »
    Um, Rooney?
    Rooney is a striker? Where do you get that notion?
    Get yer Coat, Coat22
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Rooney is an excellent goal poacher. His off the ball movement is one of the strongest aspects of his game, it's well up there in that list of yours. He has just played other positions as well over his career.
    bangkok wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney.... Street "centre forward"

2183488078.jpg
    Well in all fairness he usually played off a main striker rather than being the focal point.

Where were you Jambo 3 hours ago when I needed you????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Hi we signed Berbatov for 32 million in 2008 when he was 27..he scored 27 in 70 league games for Spurs..

Benteke is 24/25 and scored 40 odd in 80 odd games..Id say that Spurs team was better than the villa team now...go figure..

Cavani is only a year and a half younger than Rooney

One of them being on the bench every week would be pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Cavani is only a year and a half younger than Rooney

One of them being on the bench every week would be pointless

man utd v Watford at home... 4-4-2 for example...........

De Gea

Darmian
    Jones
    Smalling
    Shaw

Mata
    schweinsteiger
    schneiderlin
    depay

Rooney
    Cavani

United win 5-0 cavani hatrick, Rooney 1, Depay 1

Formation won't change to 4-4-2 ever. It'll be 4-3-3 and teams will have to adapt to our style if anything. Our whole squad is being built around 4-3-3 (or a backup of 3-5-2).

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    man utd v Watford at home... 4-4-2 for example...........

De Gea

Darmian
    Jones
    Smalling
    Shaw

Mata
    schweinsteiger
    schneiderlin
    depay

Rooney
    Cavani

United win 5-0 cavani hatrick, Rooney 1, Depay 1

For me Cavani is more of a park footballer I dont think he'd gel with a street footballer like Rooney

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement