Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Formation won't change to 4-4-2 ever. It'll be 4-3-3 and teams will have to adapt to our style if anything. Our whole squad is being built around 4-3-3 (or a backup of 3-5-2).

I would have said maybe a 4-1-4-1 like we played a lot last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

rightyabe wrote: »
    Hi we signed Berbatov for 32 million in 2008 when he was 27..he scored 27 in 70 league games for Spurs..

Benteke is 24/25 and scored 40 odd in 80 odd games..Id say that Spurs team was better than the villa team now...go figure..

Raw goal numbers don't show everything though. For example, Darren Bent scored 37 in 79 for Charlton and then moved to 'better' Spurs, where he only had 25 goals in 79 games, before moving back down to 'worse' Sunderland and scoring 36 in 63 games.

We thought Berbatov was going to be able to positively impact the build up an awful lot more than he did, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Coat22 wrote: »
    Where were you Jambo 3 hours ago when I needed you????

Is walking the dog a good enough excuse, we'll see how he handles it, but he's never been the real focal point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

JamboMac wrote: »
    Is walking the dog a good enough excuse, we'll see how he handles it, but he's never been the real focal point.

Who Rooney? Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Formation won't change to 4-4-2 ever. It'll be 4-3-3 and teams will have to adapt to our style if anything. Our whole squad is being built around 4-3-3 (or a backup of 3-5-2).

A 3 5 2 could is a very dominant formation with the right players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

bangkok wrote: »
    I would have said maybe a 4-1-4-1 like we played a lot last season

That is still effectively 4-3-3. It's all fairly fluid but we definitely won't have two strikers starting unless it means the return of Rooney to midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Didn't know Darmian was paid 100K per week. Football fans are so idiots, they believe anything if it is made as meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

adox wrote: »
    Who Rooney? Are you serious?

I thought he meant the dog but Jambo you see what I mean - lots of Rooney love on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah it was some other guy who got United to the CL final and over 30 goals playing as the main striker that year...

A 3 5 2 could is a very dominant formation with the right players.

Not the way LVG has played it. Most boring games I've ever seen in the WC and biggest gaps I've ever seen in defense when United played it last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

352 was an embarrassment

Minnow teams cutting through us like a hot knife through butter, we created practically zero chances in every game, never again please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Didn't know Darmian was paid 100K per week. Football fans are so idiots, they believe anything if it is made as meme.

£50k a week according to DI Marzio, who is the most reliable journo out there.

he was on £12k/w at Torino.
    352 was an embarrassment

Minnow teams cutting through us like a hot knife through butter, we created practically zero chances in every game, never again please

were they though??? i dont recall many teams cutting through us at all, the Leceister game was a disaster but its a game that should have been won, Swansea X 2 was a smash and grab and the rest of the minnow disasters were the 0-0 against Burnley, 1-1 sunderland, 2-2 west brom etc etc when all games were lost in the final 1/3

we had 4 at the back against Chelsea, West Brom and Everton at the end of the season and also i think in several other games that we didnt win.

and when those back 3 are Jones, Evans and Blackett, what on earth can you expect? defensive injuries were out problems last year, not the formation though of course had we played a back 4 then it would have made things a little bit easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah it was some other guy who got United to the CL final and over 30 goals playing as the main striker that year...

That was Rayne Wooney iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Ugghhhh stop with the 352 stuff.

Its clear LVG only used it with Holland and United due to the lack of players in midfield to play his preferred 433.

Im convinced we wont see it again barring an injury crisis.

£50k a week according to DI Marzio, who is the most reliable journo out there.

he was on £12k/w at Torino.

I know, but if you see humor thread you will see something else :pac:

According to Guardian he is paid 30K per week :eek:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/08/matteo-darmian-manchester-united-torino

Not the way LVG has played it. Most boring games I've ever seen in the WC and biggest gaps I've ever seen in defense when United played it last season.

It depends on the players though.
    The 2 schs would be good for it and a dominant center back, and 8 very good players.
    It has potential if the wings are good.

352? seriously?!

It depends on the players though.
    The 2 schs would be good for it and a dominant center back, and 8 very good players.
    It has potential if the wings are good.

so does 4-4-2 if you had messi and Ronaldo up front, midfield of di maria vidal sweignstiger, bale, and a defence including ramos and hummels

so does 4-4-2 if you had messi and Ronaldo up front, midfield of di maria vidal sweignstiger, bale, and a defence including ramos and hummels

I was just musing about it.

Seems like it would work on paper with the 2 schs In midfield.
    On paper.

3-5-2 was horrible and I hated Van Gaal when he played that. Luckily it was just a stop gap rather than his favorite formation.

Also re Benteke, he would be very good addition for Liverpool and ManUtd. His goal scoring record is 1 in 2, that's a good record playing for Villa. Shame he is close to signing for Liverpool.

• Advertisement

I thought he meant the dog but Jambo you see what I mean - lots of Rooney love on here

Its got nothing to do with Rooney love. Just questioning if his inaccurate statement was meant to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/621676672069320704

She should have a word with De Gea's GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

He's a centre forward, not a striker, not in the "goal poacher" mode of an RVP, RVN, Owen, Henry or even Chico type of player.

Will never get you more than 15+ a season but will make it happen for the team. Holds the ball, dictates the play but is not a 6 yard box type.

Rooney will of course start but with someone in front of him to poach the 25+ goals needed to win things
    Where were you Jambo 3 hours ago when I needed you????

Well so far all Jambos done is say he found it interesting that VG didn't mention him. Maybe he does feel the same as you regarding Rooney scoring ability.

To be honest centre forward and striker are two very interchangeable words. When I think of a centre forward I think of a big tall lad who can knock it down while a striker I think of a more skillfull lad who gets quite a lot of goals. Maybe this isn't right but it's how I view it and would slot Rooney in the latter.

And he'll never get us more than 15 goals a season? Come on the lads third place in our top scorers of all time surely he netted a few for us :P

Looking at the stats in all competition only once has Rooney failed to score more than 15 goals for us in a season, that season being last. 11 campaigns for us (cups, leagues, etc included) and 10 times hes got over 15 goals, 4 times over 20, and 2 times over 30.

Now Rooney if he's played in a striker/centre forward role he does most of his damage. Problem is he's so good in other positions he can be moved there when we have numbers low or players underperforming. Last year most of his goals and assists came from playing as the lone CF/ST.

Now if I remember correctly Hernandez has only once ever got more than 15 goals for us (16 or 17 I think), RVP in 11 seasons in the PL has gotten over 15 goals (in all comps) 5 times (worse than Rooney). I'll admit Owen (in his Pool days), Van Nistlerooy (in his United days) and Henry (in his Arsenal days) were goal machines but a lot of them found it hard to carry the form after moving while Rooney has been consistently scoring for 11 seasons now.

My point is Rooney is well capable of scoring goals and has shown so consistently while being played in CM, AM during his career with us. Very few players score 25+ year in year out, but to say Rooney never gets us 15+ is crazy considering last year was the first year for us he didn't have 15+ goals campaign.

He is a goalscorer, no doubt there, look at our top scorers. Surely he can produce it if given the chance as the lone striker with the suppliers around him now. Maybe VG doesn't see him as a lone striker in the system, but coming out and saying he's not a striker (very little difference between CF/ST anyway) and also saying "Will never get you more than 15+ a season" it's no wonder people disagreed in my eyes.

Depay's new Twitter banner says M7.......??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

3-5-2 was unreal during the pre-season but once it came to the English teams, it was a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

zerks wrote: »

Di maria is fuked then ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

jayo26 wrote: »
    Di maria is fuked then ha.

Maybe Di Marias doing a Valenica and changing from the number 7. Didn't Rooney used to wear 8?

I'd hate for us to sell Di Maria so soon.

looking more and more like di Maria is gone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

looking more and more like di Maria is gone

Why what's happened since yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Maybe Di Marias doing a Valenica and changing from the number 7. Didn't Rooney used to wear 8?

I'd hate for us to sell Di Maria so soon.

Yeh it could well be but lvg didnt inspire me with confidence last night on the topic of him staying.
    Id like it to still work out with di maria he is still one of the best players in the world he proved it in cupa america just hopefully he has that same passion to play for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Depay has put up M7 on his Twitter banner

Maybe he bought a new car, and wanted to make basti like him by putting it up that he likes German cars??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/621676672069320704

She should have a word with De Gea's GF.

Given Real Madrid want €90 million for Ramos, I wonder if the story about a €60 million bid to be made has anything to do with the story that De Gea will get his move soon.

I think we could get our central partnership in defense to be Ramos and Otamendi.

depay updated his twitter to M7

Gary Neville on his move to PSG "That would be a big shame if that happened. He should resist and want to prove himself in the Premier League"

van Gaal saying a few months ago he would allow di Maria or any player for that matter leave if they were not happy

even yesterday saying it was a "process for di maria and Manchester united", I presume that process is his transfer to PSG

Le Parisien also reported that it is nearly a done deal £43m

RobertKK wrote: »
    Given Real Madrid want €90 million for Ramos, I wonder if the story about a €60 million bid to be made has anything to do with the story that De Gea will get his move soon.

I think we could get our central partnership in defense to be Ramos and Otamendi.

It looks likely,Otamendi is practically on strike over a move to United while Ramos is still edging for a move but United and Madrid are playing poker over it and waiting to see who blinks first.

• Advertisement

Gary Neville on his move to PSG "That would be a big shame if that happened. He should resist and want to prove himself in the Premier League"

van Gaal saying a few months ago he would allow di Maria or any player for that matter leave if they were not happy

even yesterday saying it was a "process for di maria and Manchester united", I presume that process is his transfer to PSG

So the first line only.

The squad numbers arent going to announced until nearer the start of the season apparently and wasnt there stories going around that squad numbers were going to be changed around.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well so far all Jambos done is say he found it interesting that VG didn't mention him. Maybe he does feel the same as you regarding Rooney scoring ability.

To be honest centre forward and striker are two very interchangeable words. When I think of a centre forward I think of a big tall lad who can knock it down while a striker I think of a more skillfull lad who gets quite a lot of goals. Maybe this isn't right but it's how I view it and would slot Rooney in the latter.

And he'll never get us more than 15 goals a season? Come on the lads third place in our top scorers of all time surely he netted a few for us :P

Looking at the stats in all competition only once has Rooney failed to score more than 15 goals for us in a season, that season being last. 11 campaigns for us (cups, leagues, etc included) and 10 times hes got over 15 goals, 4 times over 20, and 2 times over 30.

Now Rooney if he's played in a striker/centre forward role he does most of his damage. Problem is he's so good in other positions he can be moved there when we have numbers low or players underperforming. Last year most of his goals and assists came from playing as the lone CF/ST.

Now if I remember correctly Hernandez has only once ever got more than 15 goals for us (16 or 17 I think), RVP in 11 seasons in the PL has gotten over 15 goals (in all comps) 5 times (worse than Rooney). I'll admit Owen (in his Pool days), Van Nistlerooy (in his United days) and Henry (in his Arsenal days) were goal machines but a lot of them found it hard to carry the form after moving while Rooney has been consistently scoring for 11 seasons now.

My point is Rooney is well capable of scoring goals and has shown so consistently while being played in CM, AM during his career with us. Very few players score 25+ year in year out, but to say Rooney never gets us 15+ is crazy considering last year was the first year for us he didn't have 15+ goals campaign.

He is a goalscorer, no doubt there, look at our top scorers. Surely he can produce it if given the chance as the lone striker with the suppliers around him now. Maybe VG doesn't see him as a lone striker in the system, but coming out and saying he's not a striker (very little difference between CF/ST anyway) and also saying "Will never get you more than 15+ a season" it's no wonder people disagreed in my eyes.

Ok I take it back with the "never get you 15+ a season" jibe but if said "20+ a season" I wouldn't have been far off. He's done that 3 times in 11 seasons at United (and spare me the "played out of position" excuses).

My point was if we want to win the league we won't do it with Rooney as our main forward. Only once in the 11 seasons he's been at united did he finish top goalscorer at the club in a PL winning season (and that was joint first with Ronaldo in 06/07).

Only once in the last 5 years has he scored more than 19 goals in a season and that season we finished second, on goal difference and so went out and bought RVP....to score goals.

Rooney is a fine player, but if we're to win the league it won't be with him as our top scorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

ok so memphis is number 7,,,,, but what if di maria is getting the number 11 off januzaj.

Id like him sold if it means we get Muller but if its Cavani coming instead then **** no

Taking a 16m loss after one season from PSG of all teams would be one of the worst transfer dealings of all time you'd have to think.

Taking a 16m loss after one season from PSG of all teams would be one of the worst transfer dealings of all time you'd have to think.

paying 59m to real Madrid was one of the worst transfers of all time. 43m would be around his price

• Advertisement

Yeah when he said process, it said a process as in getting a transfer done to me.

Probably about right - the players value goes down with his contract (at that level anyway where you're already buying at the top rather than a developing player) so United would have written off £14M of the £70M they paid already last season (it was a 5 year deal?)

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yeah when he said process, it said a process as in getting a transfer done to me.

100% that's what it was. A process for both di maria and Manchester united as in United agreeing a fee with PSG and di maria getting a new place to live and negotiating a new contract with PSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You'd have thought if Di Maria was staying Van Gaal would have said as much yesterday.

His tone and comments yesterday indicated he either knows the players is in discussions to exit, or that the club will accept his departure for a reasonable fee.

As much as I would be disappointed to see him leave, a high profile signing could quickly ease any worries about selling a big name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

It would be a real shame if ADM left this summer. I'd love to see him stick around for another season and turn his form around.

I really like Di Maria, he is great for assists but doesn't score enough goals, so if we replace him with a player who could score a lot of goals, I wouldn't mind.
    Presume we are working on another super signing for the right side of a front three. I really hope we can test Bayern for Muller, very unlikely but he is the sort of player we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

All this talk about Cavani been a straight swap deal for Di Maria. Would ADM not be worth more then Cavani and should it not be more like cash and Cavani for Di Maria? Also if we got this chap I doubt he would want to be sitting on the bench and would only come if he was to start games thus we would have to change our formation to accommodate him and Rooney to either a 442 or 451 formation with Rooney sitting in the hole behind Cavani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I don't think Rooney is undroppable, if he doesn't play well he'll be on the bench like anyone else this next season.

I don't think Rooney is undroppable, if he doesn't play well he'll be on the bench like anyone else this next season.

of course, every player is droppable, its a squad game. He will be dropped when he needs a rest, if they have a big game coming up after an away champions league game etc etc, if his form dips or if he is injured

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

So if it is Cavani for Di Maria, how much cash should be coming with Cavani.

Baring in mind he is already on around £200k a week and cost them £50m

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement