Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    So if it is Cavani for Di Maria, how much cash should be coming with Cavani.

£10+ million imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah it was some other guy who got United to the CL final and over 30 goals playing as the main striker that year...

What year was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

I hope its not a straight swap between the 2 players. Never really rated Cavani myself. Too much of a blow hot and cold player. Some games he is very quiet and hes never produced it on the big stage i.e for his country or in the Champions League. Could be another Falcao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

RobertKK wrote: »
    I really like Di Maria, he is great for assists but doesn't score enough goals, so if we replace him with a player who could score a lot of goals, I wouldn't mind.
    Presume we are working on another super signing for the right side of a front three. I really hope we can test Bayern for Muller, very unlikely but he is the sort of player we need.

I mentioned him previously but would really love to see Benzema at Old Trafford. Reckon he would score a ton of goals in the Premier League and frighten the **** out of the opposing defences. if we sold Di Maria I would love to see us make a massive bid for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

bangkok wrote: »
    paying 59m to real Madrid was one of the worst transfers of all time. 43m would be around his price
    Easy to say now. I don't think there was too many complaints regarding his price when he was bought as most thought he would rip through opposition defences last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Pighead wrote: »
    Easy to say now. I don't think there was too many complaints regarding his price when he was bought as most thought he would rip through opposition defences last season.

It would be folly to think he still can't do it.
    But, if he wants to leave, lvg won't stand in his way.
    I don't think any clued in supporter would have hard feelings for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

billyhead wrote: »
    I hope its not a straight swap between the 2 players. Never really rated Cavani myself. Too much of a blow hot and cold player. Some games he is very quiet and hes never produced it on the big stage i.e for his country or in the Champions League. Could be another Falcao

Wouldn't describe him as quiet. He's an high energy player who never stops moving so a great help to his fellow attackers. He can be erratic with his finishing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

JamboMac wrote: »
    What year was this?

I am guessing he means 2010/11? The problem is though, that Rooney didn't notch up 20 goals that year, only scored 3 in the run up to the final, only two of which were from open play. If anything "got us" to the final that year, it was the defense - conceding just 4 goals, one of which was meaningless (Schalke, semi finals, already 4-0 up on aggregate). We scored the least goals of any of the 16 teams to make the 2nd round (tied with Copenhagen & Milan on 7), the 2nd least of any team to win their 2nd round tie (2 goals, Spurs had 1) and the least of any team to win their quarter final tie.

To say any attacking player "got us" there is a pretty big reach, and either misinformed or disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

So if it is Cavani for Di Maria, how much cash should be coming with Cavani.

Baring in mind he is already on around £200k a week and cost them £50m

His value has dropped considerably since joining PSG, probably nearly halved. Would expect Cavani and 15M+ to come our way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I would be sad to see ADM go as well, but to be honest his style of play didn't suit the way the opposition set up last season a lot. He's a player that needs space to express himself like he can for Real & Argentina especially. He was low on confidence and his stats were still very impressive in his defence.

Oh and a straight swap for Cavani? No chance. Cavani's not worth half of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Montroseee wrote: »
    His value has dropped considerably since joining PSG, probably nearly halved. Would expect Cavani and 15M+ to come our way.

I really dont rate Cavani anymore than a penny over £20m.

Im going to stop posting about him though caus i really just dont rate him.:(

Your not the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would rather Benteke over Cavaini. If Di Maria is to leave would rather see him goto Bayern as it may give us a chance to sign Muller or Lewandoski. Wishful thinking though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Cavani is one of the few players I wouldn't like to see at United. From what I've seen I've never understood the hype. I also think we should buy a younger striker than him. If LVG sees Wilson as the future then surely we need someone in between him and Rooney in both age and development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I like Cavani but buying him would create more problems than it would solve

Benteke was the one if we wanted a striker, younger player with a proven goal record that would be happy with 15-20 games at a big club next season

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    I am guessing he means 2010/11? The problem is though, that Rooney didn't notch up 20 goals that year, only scored 3 in the run up to the final, only two of which were from open play. If anything "got us" to the final that year, it was the defense - conceding just 4 goals, one of which was meaningless (Schalke, semi finals, already 4-0 up on aggregate). We scored the least goals of any of the 16 teams to make the 2nd round (tied with Copenhagen & Milan on 7), the 2nd least of any team to win their 2nd round tie (2 goals, Spurs had 1) and the least of any team to win their quarter final tie.

To say any attacking player "got us" there is a pretty big reach, and either misinformed or disingenuous.

Berbatov Was the main striker, every season Rooney has played off the main striker and the last 3 seasons he's scored under 20 goals. He only scored above 15 once in those 3 seasons when RVP landed.

I'll hold my hands up if I'm wrong, but proof doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Im going to stop posting about him though caus i really just dont rate him.:(

Deal. If everyone stops talking about Benteke because we were never in for him nor does he suit the style of play we want to play.

Berbatov Was the main striker, every season Rooney has played off the main striker and the last 3 seasons he's scored under 20 goals. He only scored above 15 once in those 3 seasons when RVP landed.

I'll hold my hands up if I'm wrong, but proof doesn't exist.

Oh yeah I certainly agree, my issue where was more with the comment that Rooney "got us" to the CL final. The same with how Messi "dragged" Argentina to the WC final, despite them not conceding a single goal in the knockout stages (until Goetze in the final) even with three games going to extra time, and Mascherano being the leader and star player in that tournament, and Argentina scoring just two goals over that 450 total minutes.

It's as if some people think football is the 2-4 most attacking players on each team, with the other 7-9 players simply being inconsequential and just there to make up numbers, really. Grates the f*** out of me in a couple of different sports. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Di Maria will play better with better players around him. Next season is when we will see the best of him. The team should be built around him he is the best player at the club.

How anyone could be alright with him leaving is beyond me. Do people have the memory of a goldfish a poor season by his standard last year doesn't make him a bad player. He is a world class player who i would be gutted to leave we don't have many players who can create something spectacular out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Evans going to Everton for £8 million. Good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

This twitter rumour of fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

This twitter rumour of fact?

Vic only does fact :) wont find any rumours on this thread

For then it is, yeah. We weren't going to get much more for him at this point t n time though, I guess. That probably pops CB up to top priority along with DDG/GK now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Billy86 wrote: »
    For then it is, yeah. We weren't going to get much more for him at this point t n time though, I guess. That probably pops CB up to top priority along with DDG/GK now though.

I think he only has one year left on his contract so it isn't a bad price at all considering that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Di Maria will play better with better players around him. Next season is when we will see the best of him. The team should be built around him he is the best player at the club.

How anyone could be alright with him leaving is beyond me. Do people have the memory of a goldfish a poor season by his standard last year doesn't make him a bad player. He is a world class player who i would be gutted to leave we don't have many players who can create something spectacular out of nowhere.

I want him to stay in an ideal world but circumstances can exist where he and United could be better of by him leaving.

For example of the managers feels he can't use him in a way that gets the best from him, if he is unhappy, if he wants a move to Paris as that was always his intention, if his wife hates England etc then a move wouldn't be a bad thing.

If he goes United would replace him or add quality in another position to make up for it.

I think he only has one year left on his contract so it isn't a bad price at all considering that.

Hadn't considered that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Great we will replace Evans with Ramos and Otamendi. Extra defender given the defensive crisis last year...

To be honest i would rather keep Evans as a backup. Send Jones on loan the club and himself would be far better off if he got a season as first choice. He is never going to fulfill any potential without regular first team football.

To be honest i would rather keep Evans as a backup. Send Jones on loan the club and himself would be far better off if he got a season as first choice. He is never going to fulfill any potential without regular first team football.

Jones problems aren't been first choice its his injury record he is not suddenly going to be fitter for longer with a lesser team. He has played for us most of the time when he is fit and even if he was fourth choice here and one of the players was ramos he would be guaranteed games.

If the figures on Sky Sports are to be believed, then 60M for a error-prone 29 year old defender would represent the worst piece of business by any football club ever on face value. I mean he's good, but **** sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Jones is 23. We cannot baby him forever. Form and fitness need to start coming from him, he needs to start making the case for being picked off his own bat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Cavani is class, can't believe the amount of people here that don't rate him yet are happy to name Wilson as one of our 3 strikers!!

Signing cavani guarantees you 20 goals, skilful strong I would love to see him come to old trafford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm sure Cavani is good but the Falcao and ADM debacle has put me off marquee signings.

So their is now speculation that LVG doesn't like Herrera and some Spanish clubs seem to be interested in signing him, hope it's all false.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

need a big strong striker to cope with the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Does Evans departure mean a CB is close to being bought?

So their is now speculation that LVG doesn't like Herrera and some Spanish clubs seem to be interested in signing him, hope it's all false.

Wouldnt think there is any truth in it,lvg as much as said ander had picked up his game and learned his philosophy and was the best player in second half of our season last year.

What speculation??

Herrera on last seasons performances should be the first name on the team sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Where is this speculation?

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Where is this speculation?

moved to Old Trafford from Atheltic Bilbao last summer, but according to Italian outlet Tuttomercatoweb (h/t the Daily Star's Alex Harris), Atletico Madrid and Valencia are eyeing Herrera.

He had a successful maiden season in Manchester, proving an effective creative force while also netting six Premier League goals, per WhoScored.com.

Fresh Football's Oli Price-Bates suggests that, despite his strong opening season, United boss Louis van Gaal is not Herrera's biggest fan:

Also I know Napoli say Higuain is not for sale but I'd like him to come in, probably cost around €40+ million.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

moved to Old Trafford from Atheltic Bilbao last summer, but according to Italian outlet Tuttomercatoweb (h/t the Daily Star's Alex Harris), Atletico Madrid and Valencia are eyeing Herrera.

He had a successful maiden season in Manchester, proving an effective creative force while also netting six Premier League goals, per WhoScored.com.

Fresh Football's Oli Price-Bates suggests that, despite his strong opening season, United boss Louis van Gaal is not Herrera's biggest fan:

Also I know Napoli say Higuain is not for sale but I'd like him to come in, probably cost around €40+ million.

You'd go a long way to pick 2 worse sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

bangkok wrote: »
    Cavani is class, can't believe the amount of people here that don't rate him yet are happy to name Wilson as one of our 3 strikers!!

Signing cavani guarantees you 20 goals, skilful strong I would love to see him come to old trafford
    I'm almost certain I read the same about Falcao. That was great. What could possibly go wrong?

Because all the legitimate sources that said benteke was going to United was right, as I said speculation, never said their was truth to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Makes sense selling evans imo considering we have smalling,jones,rojo otamendi(probable) blind and Carrick can also cover if required and he's only got a year left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Id say this is from the press conference because LVG said that the 2 Sch's would be fighting with Carrick and Blind for roles, he didn't mention Herrera (obviously because he plays higher) but the press are putting 2 & 2 together and coming up with 300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Because all the legitimate sources that said benteke was going to United was right, as I said speculation, never said their was truth to it.

Pretty sure that only the Sun reported that Benteke was going to United. which is probably up there with the Express and the Metro in terms of credibility, the rest had stories in their gossip columns about him liking and deleting a tweet saying that he is what united need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

So you knew it was false, why post it?

Don't give me the what else would we talk about, the thread would be dead.

So you knew it was false, why post it?

Don't give me the what else would we talk about, the thread would be dead.

So none of what we've been talking about is speculation, everything will be until LVG wants it out their, even who would play where or is Di Maria going that's all speculation as well. If you don't like speculation stop following football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

I cant really comment on Cavani because I hadnt seen much of him but the comparisons with Falcao arent really warranted, any transfer will have a certain % of failure but Falcao was just after coming back from a serious injury.

He was a much higher risk of failing then Cavaini would, hence the loan deal which was a good call at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That time of the year again - first 7 games confirmed for TV (August/September) - Sky, BT and Setanta.

2ewlhu0.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement