Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/manchester-united/real-madrid-set-to-pay-de-gea-to-stay-at-old-trafford-31380680.html

anything in this? surely very shady tactics from real madrid offering degea cash to stay for a year so they can sign him on a free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Just because you've never had a hard on.

Haha was a joke, we don't need a player like him we have enough as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

kona wrote: »
    Being honest he'd probably have bought some 18 year old from Blackburn and tell everybody he's the next Bobby Charlton.

Duncan Edwards :)

But still, I see you're point.

Fergie told a friend of mines father who he was very pally with that Jones was one of the most natural talents he had at the club and was a future captain of the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

nicklauski wrote: »

Fergie told a friend of mines father who he was very pally with that Jones was one of the most natural talents he had at the club and was a future captain of the side.
    nicklauski ITK :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Thats my point though. Do Bayern really need Vidal, do Barca really need pogba.

Vidal to replace Schweinsteiger for bayern and Pogba to replace xavi for Barca. They need midfielders we thankfully no longer do. But that defence needs bolstering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I don't get why people get so worked up about this.
    He spent 20 million on an 18 year old defender, what's wrong, or different with fergie doing it?
    Hardly the first time people compare other players

nicklauski ITK :D

Best believe it ;)

He told me about the Van Persie signing nearly a week before it was announced cos Fergie rang about a tip for a horse and told him it's a done deal :D

I don't get why people get so worked up about this.
    He spent 20 million on an 18 year old defender, what's wrong, or different with fergie doing it?
    Hardly the first time people compare other players

I wasn't get worked up over it Gowl.
    We all thought Jones would have progressed more than he has and had high hopes for him.
    I still think he will have a very decent career at United but won't reach the heights that we originaly hoped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Love to know whats really going on between Valdes and LVG?
    Conspriacy theorist in me thinking LVG selling Valdes to make it look like UTD really cant afford to lose DDG hence inviting a huge bid.
    Why didnt he drop Valdes from the squad if he refused to play in a second string team?
    Think theres more in that story then what we're hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Love to know whats really going on between Valdes and LVG?
    Conspriacy theorist in me thinking LVG selling Valdes to make it look like UTD really cant afford to lose DDG hence inviting a huge bid.
    Why didnt he drop Valdes from the squad if he refused to play in a second string team?
    Think theres more in that story then what we're hearing.

So Wait do you think valdes is in on this with lvg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Evans going would mean all 10 outfield players from the MK Dons game have been sold or loaned out.

Hernandez, Powell and James remain "on the books" but the latter two look like they are on the way out also.

Evans going would mean all 10 outfield players from the MK Dons game have been sold or loaned out.

Hernandez, Powell and James remain "on the books" but the latter two look like they are on the way out also.

Powell. Jaysis. The forgotten man.
    Shame really. Remember after it was announced United were interested and then he done this in the Playoffs -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I say my father cant can't be any happier right now. He is in States for Tour and when he finds\found out about Evans he be thinking all his birthdays came at once.

My Dad hated Evans with Passion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That game will forever be remembered up there with YORK CITY.

I say my father cant can't be any happier right now. He is in States for Tour and when he finds\found out about Evans he be thinking all his birthdays came at once.

My Dad hated Evans with Passion

My womans dad hated wes browne with a passion he detested him but the week after he died wes joined sunderland.

jayo26 wrote: »
    That game will forever be remembered up there with YORK CITY.

Worse IMO. After Moyes and all the positivity and money spent, LVG etc etc, this was lowest moment I can remember.

The fact that it cost 10 players their careers says enough iMO, it's one of the worst results in recent club history.

Worse IMO. After Moyes and all the positivity and money spent, LVG etc etc, this was lowest moment I can remember.

The fact that it cost 10 players their careers says enough iMO, it's one of the worst results in recent club history.

Yehh but york is nearly 18 years ago now i think aint it? That was a pretty big shock too and if im right werent york in the fourth tier then too?
    I think the problem with mk dons was lvg underestimated the lower tiers ability to dig in deep for a performance.

Edit: it was 1995 i feel bloody old now anyway the team that night was

Manchester United: Pilkington, Parker, Irwin, McGibbon, Sharpe, Pallister, P. Neville (Cooke 46), Beckham, McClair, Davies (Bruce 58), Giggs

Id say that was a bigger shock then mk dons its just the dons game is fresher in our minds.

Yehh but york is nearly 18 years ago now i think aint it? That was a pretty big shock too and if im right werent york in the fourth tier then too?
    I think the problem with mk dons was lvg underestimated the lower tiers ability to dig in deep for a performance.

Edit: it was 1995 i feel bloody old now anyway the team that night was

Manchester United: Pilkington, Parker, Irwin, McGibbon, Sharpe, Pallister, P. Neville (Cooke 46), Beckham, McClair, Davies (Bruce 58), Giggs

Id say that was a bigger shock then mk dons its just the dons game is fresher in our minds.

When I saw the MK Dons team sheet, my first reaction was we were in trouble.

For York, Pilkington was brutal in goals that night, if I remember correctly the return leg was 3-1 United so 4-3 on aggregate.

When I saw the MK Dons team sheet, my first reaction was we were in trouble. Pilkington was brutal in goals that night, if I remember correctly the return leg was 3-1 United so 4-3 on aggregate.

Ahh yehh dont get me wrong im not trying to challenge your opinion mate its a much of a muchness but i do agree the lineup against dons was far from right it had no proper leaders in it or anyone that wanted to be a leader.

York result was worse as we were at home, had strong team out and were in much better shape at the time form wise.

Although you can argue for either. Dontvcwant go on about 2 **** performances.

• Advertisement

All i know is, after work tomorrow night I've only a 2 hour wait for United to kick off. I. Can't. Wait.

All i know is, after work tomorrow night I've only a 2 hour wait for United to kick off. I. Can't. Wait.

Thats pretty handy kick back with a few beers or a cuppa. Ill have to record it but ill watch it before work or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'll never stay awake to see the first two games, not possible.. Even with the carrot at the end of the stick of seeing Bastian Schwienstieger in a United shirt and us actually having a midfield but things are getting exciting and I've been missing the football... At least the second two games are on at a watchable hour...

As regards the Valdes situation... Loving the new ruthless mad bastard LVG but I thought that press conference was a bit much and to be honest the guff about the shop window when asked why he played him when DDG was injured had to be bollocks.. Overstepped it a bit I thought regardless of what went on as regards Valdes and the reserve game he might have deserved a little more respect that that... Some things should be done and sorted away from the media and public regardless or who is in the right and wrong or the outcome of it all.

I'm going to have a 16 hour time difference for the games next week :eek:

Guess it means I can watch them in midday though.

Heres a random something to talk about just wondering what was your first game to old trafford and what was your favourite game you went too see?
    My first was the champions league game against sparta prague and ruud scored four goals, was some expierience getting hugged by some stranger everytime ruud banged in another goal.
    My favourite game was against spurs in the prem league cant even remember the score apart from we won but what made it so good was we were in the stretford end had to be the best atmosphere ever watching a united game nothing else compairs to it.

Strumms wrote: »
    I'll never stay awake to see the first two games, not possible.. Even with the carrot at the end of the stick of seeing Bastian Schwienstieger in a United shirt and us actually having a midfield but things are getting exciting and I've been missing the football... At least the second two games are on at a watchable hour...

im gonna miss the psg game im getting married the next day i dont think id have time to fit it in haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Given the squad that started against the MK Dons, the scoreline didn't bother me at all. Liverpool, Leeds and City all much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I don't think United have played Spurs in the Champions League

That said went over to Old Trafford as part of a school trip to see United play Bolton on March 19th 2008, the atmosphere inside the ground was spine tingling, and when Ronaldo scored the 2 goals that won United the game, the whole place went NUTS...

York result was worse as we were at home, had strong team out and were in much better shape at the time form wise.

Hmm dunno, the York team by and large was a team full of young lads only starting their careers or players who were in their last season with the club...it wasn't a great team at all.
    the likes of Parker and mclair didn't feature much that season, Pilkington , Mcgibbon and Cooke were very poor players. Sharpe, Bruce , Pallister all were coming to the end of their careers also.

The Mk Dons game had 7 full internationals on the pitch and several other young lads who were u_21 international players.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »

That said went over to Old Trafford as part of a school trip to see United play Bolton on March 19th 2008, the atmosphere inside the ground was spine tingling, and when Ronaldo scored the 2 goals that won United the game, the whole place went NUTS...

I was at the Rome Derby that night funnily enough. Lazio win 3-2 in a cracker

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Haha sorry ment premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tbh I'm just thankful that Valdes won't be no 1 next season.

Hmm dunno, the York team by and large was a team full of young lads only starting their careers or players who were in their last season with the club...it wasn't a great team at all.
    the likes of Parker and mclair didn't feature much that season, Pilkington , Mcgibbon and Cooke were very poor players. Sharpe, Bruce , Pallister all were coming to the end of their careers also.

IMO its still a better team then the one we put out against MK. We had multiple league and Cup winners on at that team and some went into better.

It was with a bunch of mates against Charlton Athletic, we were playing in the Champions League in the midweek after and Fergie rested a few players including much to my annoyance Ronaldo. We had **** seats, rotten bad hangovers and the game was reasonably dull with us cantering to a 2-0 win barely getting out of 2nd gear. Days and nights spent at OT since have been far more memorable though since thankfully.

Favourite was two seasons ago when we hammered Villa to win the league, the atmosphere was undescribable that night just amazing to be there. I still get major goosebumps if I hear that Courteeners song played anywhere. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

What i really remember from that game in '08, is while the crowds were making their way down from the stands, news had come through that Chelsea had drawn 4-4 with Spurs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My first game was Beckham's return to Old Trafford with Milan. He was my hero so I was delighted. It was a real shame that the volley he cracked off the crossbar didn't go in coz I'd say the whole crowd would have erupted.

best day in old Trafford and something I'll remember for rest of my life was Barca 08, closely followed by Chelsea in 11...2 incredible atmospheres. the macheda goal was also sensational to be there, the 5-2 v spurs, the 8-2....gosh, so many memories.

Worst day? The 4-1 V Liverpool though some of the Moyes results were actually worse considering it just kept happening. Think I seen 11 losses/draws that season.

Actually...Felt physically sick after the 6-1 v City though that all happened so fast in the last 3 minutes it was just sheer shock more than anything else. Swansea last season was pretty gut wrenching also

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My first game was Beckham's return to Old Trafford with Milan. He was my hero so I was delighted. It was a real shame that the volley he cracked off the crossbar didn't go in coz I'd say the whole crowd would have erupted.

Ha ha ha. I was at that game too.

The reception he got coming onto the pitch was amazing.

Then as soon as he touched the ball -

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

Ha ha ha.
    Quality.

best day in old Trafford and something I'll remember for rest of my life was Barca 08, closely followed by Chelsea in 11...2 incredible atmospheres. the macheda goal was also sensational to be there, the 5-2 v spurs, the 8-2....gosh, so many memories.

Worst day? The 4-1 V Liverpool though some of the Moyes results were actually worse considering it just kept happening. Think I seen 11 loses/draws that season.

Was at Barca 08 and that Villa game too.

Unreal atmospheres.

08 was magical.

Mars Bar wrote: »

Loved him too never got to see him live unfortunately but ronaldo made up for it thsnk god.

• Advertisement

I remember one of first games I went to was QPR stuffing us 4-1 at home around 1992ish. Been to few before but was first I can really remember.

It's was bloody freezing, when we got back to my Grans place the electricity was not working as we used stay with her at time. She came from one poorer parts of Manchester but not rough

You think Manchester was **** hole now, well 1990 and around it, was x100 in more ****ness.

Worst game was prob Southampton this season gone... Just because it was so ****ing terrible as a game and as regards our performance.. Just shockingly dreadful.

Another was the 2-2 draw in the cup against Chelsea a couple of seasons ago where we should have been about 5-0 up at half time. So good in the first half we could have been playing against Luton town reserves such was the gap in class but we missed a hatful of sitters in the first half... Then we didn't come out the second half and the fücks beat us in the replay. Don't think we wanna win that cup anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was lucky enough to be at Eric cantonas debut against Man city in 1992. My uncle had a heart attack in Manchester and my dad brought me over to see him. We got tickets from kevin Moran! I can't remember another time in my life being so amazed to goto a sporting event. It was such a thrill to finally get to see the home ground I had seen so much on TV (and listened on radio!).

Was also at ruuds debut in charity shield
    And ronaldos debut against Bolton. My two favourite matches were 3-0 against Liverpool when mascherano talked himself into a red and of course scholes superb winner against barca in 2008!

One of the crazy things about the barca game was that we were getting a charter plane home and it was the latest plane leaving Manchester. It had been a long long day of drinking and the entire barca team walked past us in the departures lounge. It was surreal because it was just us and the barca players (it was that late nobody else was there!). The sad thing is that I was too knackered to get up and get an autograph. Some of the barca players were very kind and stopped to give autographs (puyol was particularly kind).

My last United game was the Swansea game were SAF said his farewells!!! That was an emotional game for me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Heres a random something to talk about just wondering what was your first game to old trafford and what was your favourite game you went too see?
    My first was the champions league game against sparta prague and ruud scored four goals, was some expierience getting hugged by some stranger everytime ruud banged in another goal.
    My favourite game was against spurs in the prem league cant even remember the score apart from we won but what made it so good was we were in the stretford end had to be the best atmosphere ever watching a united game nothing else compairs to it.

My first League game was against Swindon in 93 or 94. Won 4:2 and had two disallowed I think.

Haven't been to a Champions League game yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

First game in OT, 1-0 victory v Coventry. April 1996. Cantona scored but the match will be remembered for the horrific career ending injury to David Busst.

Last game in OT, 2-0 home win v QPR. April 2012. 2-0. City lost at the Emirates later that day and we flew home thinking we had won the league :mad:

Must try and get over for a game this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

First game was that Sheff Wed match when I was 7

My first League game was against Swindon in 93 or 94. Won 4:2 and had two disallowed I think.

Haven't been to a Champions League game yet.

Champs league games have good and bad points the night time atmosphere is excellent but lack of beer aint so good haha, havent been to a champs league game in a while.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to be at Eric cantonas debut against Man city in 1992. My uncle had a heart attack in Manchester and my dad brought me over to see him. We got tickets from kevin Moran! I can't remember another time in my life being so amazed to goto a sporting event. It was such a thrill to finally get to see the home ground I had seen so much on TV (and listened on radio!).

Was also at ruuds debut in charity shield
    And ronaldos debut against Bolton. My two favourite matches were 3-0 against Liverpool when mascherano talked himself into a red and of course scholes superb winner against barca in 2008!

One of the crazy things about the barca game was that we were getting a charter plane home and it was the latest plane leaving Manchester. It had been a long long day of drinking and the entire barca team walked past us in the departures lounge. It was surreal because it was just us and the barca players (it was that late nobody else was there!). The sad thing is that I was too knackered to get up and get an autograph. Some of the barca players were very kind and stopped to give autographs (puyol was particularly kind).

My last United game was the Swansea game were SAF said his farewells!!! That was an emotional game for me!!!

Some cool stories there mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Best game was in 00 when we beat spurs 3-1 and got presented the premier league

Worse was probably west brom at home during moyes era, was my birthday and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

My first game was a Super Cup game (Mickey Mouse tourney when THEY got us banned from Europe), we lost 4-2 at home to Everton, 1985 it was.

In 86 & 87 went 5 or 6 times a season, whenever i could get a responsible adult to got with me i suppose, from 1988 to 1991 i went to every home game and around 50% of aways, was great in them days, no tickets, we jsut turned up at away grounds and took the place over.

I used to stand in The United Road end, opposite the old tunnel, as close to the away fans as i could, got very hairy in there, especially against West Ham/Liverpool/Chelsea, golf balls flying in every direction.
    After a few years in there i moved to the Stretford End, just to the left of the tunnel (facing the pitch).

Few funny moments, the year Coventry won the cup they knocked us out, my mate and i decided it would be great craic to go in the Coventry end, as for the league game earlier in the season they'd only brought around 500 fans (what we'd have done up against 50 fans never mind 500 i have no idea), so we went in, United scarfs hidden. 20 mins before kick off and the whole K stand end was full of Coventry , we didn't relaise they had a much bigger allocation due to it being a cup game, went over to a friendly looking copper, told him it was out first time at ground and we'd come in wrong entrance, got a police escort back to United Road End

Maybe a year later we drew City at home in cup, my mate got arrested outside the ground for lobbing a pie in a city fans face, i nearly got nicked too for trying to jump in the bck of the van to get his ticket so i could sell it (same mate ended up being banned for life from OT, he went and followed Millwall)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement