Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

jayo26 wrote: »
    Champs league games have good and bad points the night time atmosphere is excellent but lack of beer aint so good haha, havent been to a champs league game in a while.

You're not doing it right! :D

Went to the home Sociedad game in 2013, and was one of the best days I've had in Manchester.
    Game was a bit of a dull affair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Those first games are pretty funny. I actually have a similar one!

First game was Derby when we lost 3-2 with Paolo Wanchope getting that wonder goal against us... Think it was 97 / 98...

McGrath played that day for Derby though and he got a great ovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Al Capwned wrote: »
    You're not doing it right! :D

Went to the home Sociedad game in 2013, and was one of the best days I've had in Manchester.
    Game was a bit of a dull affair though.

Haha now now we wont condone bootlegging in here :)

SK1979 wrote: »
    Those first games are pretty funny. I actually have a similar one!

First game was Derby when we lost 3-2 with Paolo Wanchope getting that wonder goal against us... Think it was 97 / 98...

McGrath played that day for Derby though and he got a great ovation.

I actually forgot about mcgrath playing for derby he really played on longer then expected didnt he,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Bootlegging???

No, we just drank the bollox out of it in the Trafford, Platts and the Blaize for the day!
    And had to get on a plane out of Liverpool at 8 the following morning.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

First Utd game would have been the Rumbelows cup final in Wembley in 91 o think. McLair one of my favourites scored the winner. Think it was Notts Forest.

First Old Trafford game was the year Villa ran us close think maybe 93. Steve Staunton scored one of the best goals I've seen there. We equalised with a scrappy Mark Hughes goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Some cool stories there mate.

Thanks. Nostalgia really gets to me when I think back about the early 90s. I wasn't at the following games but they bring back fond memories!

I absolutely loved the cup winners cup win against barca.Loved the itv theme music, really funky!

I also remember watching the famous United v sheff weds game on rte in 1993 ( Bruce two goals in injury time and fergie jumping up and down sideline).

At the time rte could show 30 min delayed live coverage. Teletext was the main way of keeping up with scores. Watched the whole game without getting result. That was special.

Oldham fa cup semi final in 1994 was a shocking game with an unbelievable ending. Mark Hughes with a ridiculous equaliser in the last minute of extra time. Can still remember the commentary "and it's hooked back into hughes".

I particularly remember walking down to the shops with a friend listening to United v bury on the radio. It was I think 1993 fa cup game. Keith Gillespie scored and the commentator says "remember that name Keith Gillespie"...

An honorary mention is United v Spurs 1993 4-1 and United v Wimbledon 1994 3-0. Two of my favourite near complete performances from that team back then!

I gotta go to sleep. Will be up early with my baby. (One of the big reasons I haven't made it to old Trafford in two years!!')....

Drumpot wrote: »
    Thanks. Nostalgia really gets to me when I think back about the early 90s. I wasn't at the following games but they bring back fond memories!

I absolutely loved the cup winners cup win against barca.Loved the itv theme music, really funky!

I also remember watching the famous United v sheff weds game on rte in 1993 ( Bruce two goals in injury time and fergie jumping up and down sideline).

At the time rte could show 30 min delayed live coverage. Teletext was the main way of keeping up with scores. Watched the whole game without getting result. That was special.

Oldham fa cup semi final in 1994 was a shocking game with an unbelievable ending. Mark Hughes with a ridiculous equaliser in the last minute of extra time. Can still remember the commentary "and it's hooked back into hughes".

I particularly remember walking down to the shops with a friend listening to United v bury on the radio. It was I think 1993 fa cup game. Keith Gillespie scored and the commentator says "remember that name Keith Gillespie"...

An honorary mention is United v Spurs 1993 4-1 and United v Wimbledon 1994 3-0. Two of my favourite near complete performances from that team back then!

I gotta go to sleep. Will be up early with my baby. (One of the big reasons I haven't made it to old Trafford in two years!!')....

Yehhh im the same i like thenold memories, i started following united back in late 80s i love all the 90s memories and same as you watching the 30 minute delayed coverage on sports stadium was the business.

My only regret is not getting to watch a game sooney because o missed out on seen the likes of cantona and cole in the flesh.

My favourite game of the 90s was the cup final against liverpool it wasnt much of an exciting game but i watched it in the local pub with my 3 brothers that are all liverpool supporters and i knew as soon as i seen the scousers come out in them suits they were ****ed and cantonas goal to won was absolutely sublime.

Funnily enough one of my first gsmes i remember listening to on five live was the leeds game where radebe had to go into goal for them dont know why but that game sticks out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm struggling to remember my first game. Think it was against Chelsea and we won 1-0 back in early 2000's or something.

My Best game was the Champions League vs Real Madrid in 2003. A Ronaldo Hat Trick and a John O'Shea Nutmeg on Figo right in front of me.

That game ended 4-3 to United and we went out of Europe but I couldn't have picked a better game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Stepping out into the K Stand for the first time and actually seeing Old Trafford in the flesh was probably the most surreal moment ive ever had. Just after so long of picturing it, seeing it on tv, posters, video games. But it was still so different seeing it in person. Stood there gawking like an idiot for about 20 seconds until a steward asked me if I knew where I was going

Game was United Wigan in November of the 07-08 season, finished 4-0 with Tevez notching his first goal. The bug caught obviously because I made it over 4 times in the following 4 months on a shoestring kids budget. That's still the season where we've played football at the highest level we've ever played imo. 98-99 was great for the drama, and 06-07 was so so satisfying to break Chelsea's stranglehold. 07-08 though was the pinnacle of the club thus far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sirsok wrote: »
    Best game was in 00 when we beat spurs 3-1 and got presented the premier league

I was at that game too.

Been to a few CL games: Bayern,Real Madrid,Benfica.There's something about a midweek game under lights,the atmosphere is unreal.

Worst day at OT was seeing us getting beat 4-1 by Liverpool. (At least we went on to win the league)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Best game I've been at was definitely the semi against Barca in 08'. The whole staium singing 'Viva Ronaldo' for near 90 mins, and us doing last ditch defending for 60 odd mins with Wes Brown at the front of it. It was mental. Never seen a stadium as gripped to their seats yet at the same time roaring on the 11 players on the field.

First game was a 0-0 draw against Leeds in the mid nineties.

Funnily enough United have never lost when I've watched them live (around 15 times).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Funnily enough United have never lost when I've watched them live (around 15 times).

Had racked up a lovely 14 consecutive wins (worked out the odds one day, was something amazing like 110/1)

The David Moyes came in and ruined everything. Repeatedly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Heres a random something to talk about just wondering what was your first game to old trafford and what was your favourite game you went too see?
    My first was the champions league game against sparta prague and ruud scored four goals, was some expierience getting hugged by some stranger everytime ruud banged in another goal.
    My favourite game was against spurs in the prem league cant even remember the score apart from we won but what made it so good was we were in the stretford end had to be the best atmosphere ever watching a united game nothing else compairs to it.

18th April 1998 my first time at OT with my da. Finished 1-1 vs Newcastle, Beckham equalized, and if I remember correctly Ole got sent off in the last minute. Went to Leeds at home, Spurs at home (final game of the season) and the FA cup final the following year (treble season) made my feckin' confirmation the day of the CL final which I would have gone to see only the feckin' Catholic Church got in the way...probably thing the worst thing they've ever done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

My first game - vs Wrexham in 95 !! Wrexham took the lead we went on to win 5-2 !!

David may superstar played that day :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I think im gonna thoroughly enjoy watching us play this year the midfield is boss again jesus im delighted.... defence needs sorting asap..... otamendi please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

My first was Manchester United 0-1 Leicester in 97/98. My only real memory is of Neil Lennon taking a throw over beside me. Was mightily pissed that Roy Keane wasn't playing. Few PL legends in that Leicester team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Liam O wrote: »
    My first was Manchester United 0-1 Leicester in 97/98. My only real memory is of Neil Lennon taking a throw over beside me. Was mightily pissed that Roy Keane wasn't playing. Few PL legends in that Leicester team.

On a slightly related note - was in Croke Park around 2002 when Armagh played Galway or Sligo and happened to spot Neil Lennon about 10 rows in front of me with his missus waiting to see the game as an Armagh supporter. So I slyly walked down a few rows and got his autograph on the program.. only to turn around and see about a thousand people stream down looking for the same after confirmation it was him. Felt pretty bad then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

https://twitter.com/OffsideLiam/status/621798810608603136/photo/1

Full interview: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3164498/Bastian-Schweinsteiger-promises-prove-dominate-highest-level-Manchester-United-upcoming-season.html
    'I had the chance to join United in 2010. I thought about what to do. There were opportunities. But my goal was always to win the Champions League with my club Bayern Munich. Now I am happy to be here.

'My brother is a huge Manchester United fan. He is a big Eric Cantona and Ryan Giggs fan. It was always a dream to be a Manchester United player.

'I saw the 1999 Champions League final between United and Bayern at home. My brother had the United jersey on and I had Bayern's. I didn't cry but my brother was very happy.
    Schweinsteiger begins his United career against Club America in a tour friendly on Saturday morning

'I always followed the Premier League and we watched a lot of United games with my brother.'

Roy Keane and Paul Scholes were unbelievable players. You cannot compare yourself to them. It is impossible.

'Scholes especially I like him a lot and I have a lot of respect for what he did for United. It was not easy and always tough to play against United. I just want to add my quality to United's game.

In last 2 seasons the changes are very very huge and that's one of the reason why we are spending big money. We have sold almost all Fergie players except Rooney, Smalling, Jones.

We have sold experienced as well as youngsters.

Reserve players who made few first team appearances/highly rated
    Michael Keane
    Tom Thorpe
    Petrucci
    Amos
    Janko
    Mats Møller Dæhli

First team players
    Welbeck
    Kagawa
    Buttner
    Evra
    Nani
    Cleverley
    Fletcher
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Giggs
    Scholes
    RVP
    Angelo Henriquez
    Fabio
    Anderson
    Zaha
    Macheda
    Bebe

Players from Fergie Era
    De Gea
    Lindegaard
    Jones
    Smalling
    Rafael
    Evans
    Carrick
    Young
    Rooney
    Hernandez

From this, De Gea is almost gone,
    Lidegaard is on transfer market for more than a year
    Rafael agent confirmed he is free to leave
    Evans is close to joining Everton
    Hernandez was already out of door.

So only survivors are, Rooney, Jones, Smalling, Carrick, Young. That's a massive massive change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That's a necessary massive amount of changes too though. While he did well with them, Ferguson's buys were mostly poor-to-very poor for most of his last 7-8 years or so.

Evans to Everton for 8 Million is good deal for all parties IMO. He wasn't first choice at United and he is 27, should be playing week in week out.

Overall at United he was good enough player. I used to like him a lot, his ability on the ball was very good and his passing from deep was very underrated. But last 2 years was worse and it looked like he regressed a lot. Time when he should be stepping up and be a leader for the defense, he regressed and his injury problems were even worse.

Hopefully he will have a good time at Everton. Maybe we are respecting player's decision but we should have sold elsewhere than Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think Evans issue was that he is not a leader of a backline, and when we lost Rio/Vidic/Evra All together, a lot of people (subconsciously even) expected him to be the guy, if it was to be anyone in the team. He's grand doing his how job (usually, last season was very poor) bit do t experience t him to be able to chip in and fill others' roles like the two greats before him could, or to take over. A bit like Carrick in that sense, only Carrick does his job better than Evans,mainly because you do t often see him flustered by others leaving g too much space or making errors, and that was Johnny's real downfall last night.

I wonder how much of that was due to his development? Ok so he was the main guy in our youth teams defense, but most of those guys never make it near the top flight and we had a far better team than most. At Sunderland he had Nosworthy, who in Championship terms was a quality defender a decade back. He also had very little weight of expectation around that time, still in his teens. Then he had Vidic or Ferdinand for pretty much all of his Utd career, and I don't remember him looking too great beside Phil Jones from the get go. Once those two were gone, taking the leadership role rather than just going out there and doing his thing became a real struggle for him, including a lot of mental lapses that were pretty out of place for him.

If he's gone, I hope it goes as well as, if not better than, it did for Phil Neville at Goodison. He has done himself proud here for the most part and counts as a good success from the youth team as well as an important young squad player during the most successful time in the clubs history. I'm just hoping Martinez' defensive struggles down the year dont cause issues, and that he thrives on the smaller (but still fairly big) stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

dubmick wrote: »
    First game in OT, 1-0 victory v Coventry. April 1996. Cantona scored but the match will be remembered for the horrific career ending injury to David Busst.

Last game in OT, 2-0 home win v QPR. April 2012. 2-0. City lost at the Emirates later that day and we flew home thinking we had won the league :mad:

Must try and get over for a game this year.

Funnily enough that's also the last game I was at. We were in a small pub watching the city game afterwards and everyone was going mental when they lost. I was hugging strangers and beer was getting thrown over everybody. Fantastic experience but we all know how that turned out :o

Best game I was at was prob the 3-2 win over Milan in 2007. Just a fantastic game and atmosphere. Although the Rooney overhead kick and Berbas hatrick against pool were up there as well.

Also Tevez's last Old Trafford appearance was an atmosphere I've never experienced before or since. The ovation he got coming off was a spine tingling moment. We also know how that turned out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

My first game was against Fulham opening game of the season in 2001, 3-2. Saha scored twice for Fulham. Van nistelrooy got 2 and Beckham scored a freekick. I remember thinking to myself that signing Saha wouldn't be a bad idea :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Martinez saying the Evans stories are BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Unearthly wrote: »
    My first game was against Fulham opening game of the season in 2001, 3-2. Saha scored twice for Fulham. Van nistelrooy got 2 and Beckham scored a freekick. I remember thinking to myself that signing Saha wouldn't be a bad idea :)

My first game was also against Fulham. Unfortunately it was October 2003! Lost 3-1 with Diego getting our goal.
    Ronald's was awful out on right wing and I remember Djemba Djemba was actually one of the better performers on the day! Saha played well for Fulham that day too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My first was a 5-2 away win to Wimbledon. My first at OT was a 3-2 loss to Boro, the last game we lost before going on to win the treble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

My first and only time at Old Trafford was the 3-0 victory v Liverpool in March 2008, but the first time I saw Man Utd live was in Copenhagen 1 November 2006 when FC Copenhagen beat us 1-0 in the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

My first game was 4-1 against West Ham the year won the league and champions league. Great game and atmosphere throughout the game.

One thing that annoyed me tho was it was the last game of the season and people just left around me while fergie was doing his talk and team was doing lap of honour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

First United game was away to Everton 23rd October 1993 ! Won 1-0 Lee Sharpe goal !
    First home game was Spurs in either 98/99 i think ! But best ever game for atmosphere was the 4-3 United v Real 02/03 season in the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

My first game was also against Fulham. Unfortunately it was October 2003! Lost 3-1 with Diego getting our goal.
    Ronald's was awful out on right wing and I remember Djemba Djemba was actually one of the better performers on the day! Saha played well for Fulham that day too!

My first match at old trafford was against Fulham too ha! Wasn't until 2007 where we won 2-0, Ronaldo scored both and one of them was a nice volley. Don't remember too much of the actual match other than the goal, I remember the linesman called an awful offside so for the next 5-10 mins every pass was greeted with a roar of "OFFSIDE".

Also the bus back to the hotel was great craic. The bus was wedged with United fans going home, full of singing and talking about the match (we just moved up to first or second after the win). Traffic was bad and some woman on the bus a bit ahead of us was on the phone complaining about the traffic, she said something like "I'll be late home some stupid football match was on" others on the bus heard this and started booing and chanting, it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I seen my first run of games during the 92/93 season, including a couple of cup games. I had family living in Manchester and used to go over a few times a year. That year was first year of the Premier League and the start of United's total dominance of English football. Talk about getting in at the right time! I was only eight at the time, so the significance of it all was kinda lost on me. It wasn't lost on my father though, who spent that season openly crying at regular intervals. I thought my parents were getting a divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

My first match was back in 2002 and it as a 1-0 home loss to Middlesbrough.
    My second match was the 6-0 home win over newcastle when Ronaldo scored a hatrick!
    After that I was at the 1-0 home loss to Chelsea when Mata scored the winner and the last time I was there we lost 3-0 at home to Man City under Moyes.

I'm very good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

My first was a 5-0 win over City :) Andrei Kanchelskis scored a hat trick

Also, I've never actually seen United lose a game. I've only been to about 20, but 16-17 of them were wins, while the rest were scored draws. I've been quite lucky. It must terrible making that journey and seeing them come up short.

Today could be an awesome day. Game day, debut day and maybe a signing...

magnumbud wrote: »
    My first was a 5-0 win over City :) Andrei Kanchelskis scored a hat trick

Nice one! I'd say that still gets you out of bed in the morning. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

are Pre-season games usually streamed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

My first game was Rooneys debut against Fenerbache in the CL. He scored a hatrick and we won 6-2. Great night.
    The best I was at is a toss up between the 4-3 derby where Owen scored the winner or the 3-2 win over Liverpool where Berba scored a hatrick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Today could be an awesome day. Game day, debut day and maybe a signing...

Have you heard something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Otamendi will be on the way.

Benzema should be signed instead of trying to sign Ramos

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Rafa is saying Ramos isn't for sale and is important for Madrid.

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Yeah, I would agree with that analysis. Would better benefit the team, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

What time is the game at tonight? MUTV showing it?

• Advertisement

It's at stupid o'clock in the morning as far as I know, don't know about TV.

Kick off is 4am Irish time,all pre season games are on MUTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I dont know y Evans would go to everton anyway lads, sure he'd only be a bench player there aswell.

Unless we get Stones, yes please

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sad that the game is on at such a horrid time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sad that the game is on at such a horrid time. :(

I'm on night shift and my streaming service has it so I'm happy with the timing! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement