Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Post in OP 23/07

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sad that the game is on at such a horrid time. :(

my plan is to record it and watch it while having some breakfast and doing some crappy chores around the apartment. Adult life sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Vidic linked with a move to Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobertKK wrote: »
    Vidic linked with a move to Everton.

After all those vids he could finally study Big Phil J in person - what an opportunity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If Evans gets sold I'd be firing as many gifs as a new signing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My first game was Beckham's return to Old Trafford with Milan. He was my hero so I was delighted. It was a real shame that the volley he cracked off the crossbar didn't go in coz I'd say the whole crowd would have erupted.

was at it meself, his volley was saved by van der sar didn't hit the crossbar as far as I can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

TheDoc wrote: »
    If Evans gets sold I'd be firing as many gifs as a new signing....

Don't understand this logic at all. Evans is a far better player than Mcnair and Blackett for instance and I honestly can't see why people 're so happy to see him go.

I get you are happy but at similar levels to a signing? Come on

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

First Monday Night Football of the new season and Jamie Carragher WILL have to wear a Man United jersey, after losing a bet with Gary Neville, all for a good cause though.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9915688/jamie-carragher-to-wear-manchester-united-shirt-on-monday-night-football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I am heading out this evening so depending on what time i get home I may just arrive into kick off (if I can stay awake) :pac:

If not, is there anywhere that will have it tomorrow where I won't get spoiled by searching for it?!

Seeing as we are reminising - my first game was the 5-1 victory against everton in ....2000 I think it was! they took the lead, Irwin with a peno and then Ole did the rest! Great day!

Been a good few times since but nothing will be as bad as the City 6-1 drubbing, made worse by the fact it broke my 100% win record at united games! The killings outside the stadium, I was glad we were flying out of Birmingham - we got the f*ck out of Manchester sharpish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    First Monday Night Football of the new season and Jamie Carragher WILL have to wear a Man United jersey, after losing a bet with Gary Neville, all for a good cause though.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9915688/jamie-carragher-to-wear-manchester-united-shirt-on-monday-night-football

You're late;) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96262996&postcount=4634

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

How much is MUTV? Tempted to take it out for a month, although always wary of adding things to Sky when on as reduced rate package as they usually try and put your reduced rate back to normal if you make any changes?

I do pay for a streaming service, which I have let laps for the summer but i dont think they usually have MUTV on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

magnumbud wrote:
    My first was a 5-0 win over City Andrei Kanchelskis scored a hat trick

My memory of that game is having backed United to win 3-0, 4-0. Was watching with a few friends including a city fan. He cheered the 5th while I had my head in my hands! Only city fan I know or have known

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

My first United game, 2003 United v Porto at Old Trafford. That famous Mourinho knee slide :(

Don't understand this logic at all. Evans is a far better player than Mcnair and Blackett for instance and I honestly can't see why people 're so happy to see him go.

I get you are happy but at similar levels to a signing? Come on

I detest him strongly, and think he is a nowhere near good enough for a top 4 club. Thought I had to fully reign myself in after he had a good spell a while back, but was then quickly assured in my initial finding that he is (in my own exagatory levels of critique) garbage.

McNair and Blackett are acadamy graduates and can have a few years to show what they can do (considering how long we have waited for Jones and Smalling).

Evans just looks like a stupid footballer, riles me up no end, with his big stupid face.

adox wrote: »
    How much is MUTV? Tempted to take it out for a month, although always wary of adding things to Sky when on as reduced rate package as they usually try and put your reduced rate back to normal if you make any changes?

I do pay for a streaming service, which I have let laps for the summer but i dont think they usually have MUTV on it.

Sky running an offer at the moment where you can get MUTV for €8 a month on your existing package. Doesn't seem to be a six month special, appears to be the length of your contract.

Tempted to take that myself to be honest.

Remember you have a 14 day cooling off period where you can opt out of any new contractual amendment, so you could be "that guy" and just take it for the next 12 days and cancel, not tied into any contract.

I'll probably stick with the streaming and HD VOD services myself, outside of the pre-season I wouldn't be interested at all with MUTV and it's repetitive content.

As much as I stream and have VOD services for games, I am trying to haggle Sky to give me Sports for a tenner a month. I have then down to €15, (in lieu of them having no CL anymore). Bit annoying how stead fast they are being, considering they have a vastly inferior product now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I've only been twice, both while Moyes was boss. Hope to get over a few times this year. First game was Liverpool in the Carling Cup, we won 1-0 & saw Suarez look about 2 stone overweight on his return. Mates thought it'd take ages for Suarez to return to form, we were obviously very mistaken.

Next was the Cardiff game & Mata's debut. I was ridiculously excited as Mata was my favourite non-United player in the league. Won 2-0 and saw an Ashley Young cracker. Always remember Evra putting in some embarrassing challenges on Bellamy - he literally stepped out of his way once. I wish that was an exaggeration :eek: Both games were under floodlights with great & good atmospheres respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

If everyone could just admit they don't like players becuase of the way they look, it would put an end to half the debates.

I detest Vidal, pogba is a close second. Their hair is stupid.
    Vidal looks like a traveller on his communion day.

zerks wrote: »

was that Jones that he schooled????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

First game. Was against QPR in mid 80s at Old Trafford, think it finished 2-0 to united.
    Best games. CL was 2-2 v Barcelona in mid 90s with sharpe scoring with a little flick. Best league game was Spurs at OT 5-2 from 09. Nani was poor, taken off at halftime after getting a lot of stick. was behind the goal where the 5 United goals were scored.
    Worst was probably being at the game where we lost our first ever home European game to Fenerbahce, think it was looping shot over Schmeichel. Stayed in Manchester a few days after as planned and saw us lose to Chelsea a few days later.
    Last game was Newcastle 3-1 win Stephens day last year. Long day trip wrecked after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭deadwards

Sky running an offer at the moment where you can get MUTV for €8 a month on your existing package. Doesn't seem to be a six month special, appears to be the length of your contract.

Tempted to take that myself to be honest.

Remember you have a 14 day cooling off period where you can opt out of any new contractual amendment, so you could be "that guy" and just take it for the next 12 days and cancel, not tied into any contract.

I'll probably stick with the streaming and HD VOD services myself, outside of the pre-season I wouldn't be interested at all with MUTV and it's repetitive content.

As much as I stream and have VOD services for games, I am trying to haggle Sky to give me Sports for a tenner a month. I have then down to €15, (in lieu of them having no CL anymore). Bit annoying how stead fast they are being, considering they have a vastly inferior product now.

MUTV on sky doesn't have a contract attached all you need to do is give 31 day notice. I upgraded and downgraded on the same call so only pay €8 for the month well worth doing get the games in HD !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Only been at 2 United games, both of them not so good. First one was FA cup vs. Arsenal where Giggs had THAT miss. Also, my dad booked tickets for the AWAY end. Dreadful stuff. My second game was a drab 0-0 vs Basel in champions league. That been said, I did manage to get a match ball that Ruud kicked over during the warm-up :D

If everyone could just admit they don't like players becuase of the way they look, it would put an end to half the debates.

I detest Vidal, pogba is a close second. Their hair is stupid.
    Vidal looks like a traveller on his communion day.

You know well how sometimes you can look at someone and know there isn't a lot of cloggs ticking in their head. Evans just always appeared that way to me. Really stupid looking head on him that looked shocked when he inevitably made a hash of something.

Probably doesn't help his case that he "reminds" me, both in looks and play, to a defender I used to have in front of, who I'd absolutely go ape**** at frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i thought mutv was always 8 euro a month?

was when we had it. havent had it for a long time now

deadwards wrote: »
    MUTV on sky doesn't have a contract attached all you need to do is give 31 day notice. I upgraded and downgraded on the same call so only pay €8 for the month well worth doing get the games in HD !

o wow then thats excellent value

€8 to get the pre-season games sounds like a dealio. As much as the stuff I use is good nothing beats just having a ready to go Sky recording in HD.

Do you know if they take the payment up front, or attach it onto your bill next cycle? If they attach to my next billing cycle(next month) will happily sign up for that today :D

Benetiz said Ramos is not for sale but cast doubt over his own words.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/benitez-s-public-doubt-on-ramos-future-gives-man-united-hope
    On the defender, Benitez said: “Sergio is training fantastically, I was told he was a great professional but it has been a great pleasure to see how much he puts in and works day in, day out.
    “I think the president has said, I don't know whether publicly or not but I've read it a few times, that he will stay and will be here. If that is the case, I will be the happiest man in the world because he is a great professional, a great player and with the dedication and motivation that I've seen, he can be a great captain”.
    The Spanish manager added: “I spoke to him over the summer and when we trained in Madrid about his future, his ideas and ours and are no longer talking about him. What I want is for him to train well and he is.
    “The future, I see it with Sergio because he is an essential player due to his qualities on the pitch as well as his mentality and leadership off it”.
    With words like “if” and “I think” amongst those quotes, Benitez may be trying to reassure himself more than anything.

So nothing has changed despite the words of Benetiz being reported that Ramos is not for sale.
    I think Ramos will try and make the move happen, afterall a rumoured €5 million a year at stake, then maybe his father would like it, just like Tobi Schweinsteiger was delighted to see his brother move to United.

My opinion oon what potentially happens, was reading how United are now a real threat to Real Madrid for players due to the money United can pay and offer a player, and Ramos is in the middle of this power struggle at the moment. A player Madrid wants to keep who is looking to leave.
    Madrid want £60 million thinking it is a high enough price to stop a transfer but I wonder...(yes I know it is crazy money but this transfer would be much bigger than the transfer itself

Lets say the following money is what United have to potentially spend = £200 million.

Depay £25m
    Schneiderlin £24 million (excluding potential add on of £4 million)
    Schweinsteiger £14 million
    Darmian £13 million
    Total spent so far = £76 million

Lets for the sake of it say we do buy both Ramos and Otamendi and we give what each club reportedly want £60 million + £35 million = £95 million
    Brings total to £171 million

Then lets continue with rumours and we sell Evans for £8 million, Di Maria for £43 million, RVP for £4 million, and others for £5 million, lets for the sake of it say £24 million for De gea bringing the total to = £90 million, bringing net spend to £81 million on 6 players which leaves a lot of money for that person we want up front and enough to sort out a goalkeeper.

We would have an amazing defense, strong midfield and offense. I think we could afford to go a bit crazy to show power over Real Madrid on a great player and still have loads of money to spend.

I think selling Di Maria is needed if we want to get a world class person upfront in a front three, so we have the money as I think United will do their best to make the Ramos/Otamendi partnership a reality.

• Advertisement

magnumbud wrote: »
    i thought mutv was always 8 euro a month?

was when we had it. havent had it for a long time now

When it first came on the scene I remember paying €20 or there abouts for two months(so €40 total). And it was attached as part of my contract.

Was garbage content just on repeat, and was thankfully able to get Sky to cancel it without any penalty.

Although that was around launch, so admittedly I'm sure content and new content is more frequent and I'm sure the channel is just better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

When it first came on the scene I remember paying €20 or there abouts for two months(so €40 total). And it was attached as part of my contract.

Was garbage content just on repeat, and was thankfully able to get Sky to cancel it without any penalty.

Although that was around launch, so admittedly I'm sure content and new content is more frequent and I'm sure the channel is just better now.

i had it around 2003-2005 ish. my brother paid for it. then he cancelled it as part of the green and gold campaign :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

£60 million (and 10 million/year wages) would be absolutely stupid money for Ramos
    My take is that LVG wants Ramos, but is also happy to let Madrid's refusal to sell him at a reasonable price block De Gea's move.
    And that's why Otamendi hasn't been bought yet. It will either be
    De Gea out, Ramos + new first choice keeper in
    or
    Otamendi in

magnumbud wrote: »
    i had it around 2003-2005 ish. my brother paid for it. then he cancelled it as part of the green and gold campaign :P

Best bit of like United media I ever got was a VHS that was like some documentary type thing about how Ferguson assembled a team. I can't remember if it was in retrospect of '99 or if it was just a video that came out after the team won a few titles in the mid 90's. But it was class.

Had all these profiles about Schmeichael, Irwin, Ince, Keane, Giggs etc., and had all this mad footage of them before their United times. Went through the entire squad and how they came to the club, and a brief look at how they had done at the club so far. Thinking about it more, it was definitly before 99 as Cantona was a part of it.

Can't remember where I got it. Think my Grandmother signed me up for like a fan thing for kids and young teens, as I used to get all this stuff like pencil cases and stuff every month, think it came as part of that.

Used it watch it like once a month. My parents must still have it, must see if I can find it and put up a picture, it was brilliant. Have never seen the footage anywhere else but seeing Schmeichael basically go mental at lads in training was worth it alone.

RayCun wrote: »
    £60 million (and 10 million/year wages) would be absolutely stupid money for Ramos
    My take is that LVG wants Ramos, but is also happy to let Madrid's refusal to sell him at a reasonable price block De Gea's move.
    And that's why Otamendi hasn't been bought yet. It will either be
    De Gea out, Ramos + new first choice keeper in
    or
    Otamendi in

The most likely thing is both clubs lower their prices on each player, United get money rather than nothing for De Gea, Madrid get rid of a player who will let it be known how he feels about Perez and Real Madrid.
    United are reported to be making a new offer of €60 million for Ramos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

was that Jones that he schooled????

Looked like it..get him off the team :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The most likely thing is both clubs lower their prices on each player, United get money rather than nothing for De Gea, Madrid get rid of a player who will let it be known how he feels about Perez and Real Madrid.
    United are reported to be making a new offer of €60 million for Ramos.

Did Benitez not come out today and say Ramos is staying?

There has been no need to sign Otamendi up till now given he was away at the Copa America and then on holidays. Why pay wages for that if you know he will be joining and you know you can wait?

irishfeen wrote: »

Was just about to post that. It's good when you hear the manager say things like that. They usually paly it coy, so that if something doesn't come off, they havnt failed to uphold any promises.

I'd take that as deals for said positions are progressing positively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

2 positions, CB and GK? or CB and Striker?

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Did Benitez not come out today and say Ramos is staying?

It came with 'if that is the case'.

CB and Striker for me.

Important words being at least 2.

Otamendi and player for upfront is my guess.
    More if a deal is done in the DDG/Ramos saga.

It came with 'if that is the case'.

Sorry only saw that now! Just heard he said he wasn't leaving, didn't see full quote.

• Advertisement

CB otamendi

Sub keeper Romero

I think he is happy with striking options but that will change if we sell Di Maria.

Anyone else think the window for United to let DeGea go is getting very tight, if not already gone. It will be very interesting if he starts the games in the states.

You would have to think the January window might be used for a GK.. This window CB/Striker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭deadwards

o wow then thats excellent value

€8 to get the pre-season games sounds like a dealio. As much as the stuff I use is good nothing beats just having a ready to go Sky recording in HD.

Do you know if they take the payment up front, or attach it onto your bill next cycle? If they attach to my next billing cycle(next month) will happily sign up for that today :D

it goes on your next bill so no upfront payment really cant go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I don't get the Ramos hype.

If we're to raid Madrid for a CB for me it's Varane all day long.

Excellent defensively, young, scores goals, would cost half the fee and cheaper wages.

LVG is putting together a good young squad at the minute ( with a few exceptions ), to me Ramos is more the quick fix to try and force success in the short term at the possible detriment to the long term.

Fenix wrote: »

Excellent defensively, young, scores goals, would cost half the fee and cheaper wages.

LVG is putting together a good young squad at the minute ( with a few exceptions ), to me Ramos is more the quick fix to try and force success in the short term at the possible detriment to the long term.
    Well apparently LVG's brief is to win the PL within the next two seasons and go very far in the CL... I think with LVG is a mixture of the long term (youth) and short term (older successful established players)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wonder who this "signing" is :)

I got my hopes up now its too late

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'd love to see Madrid have a **** start and then see ddg sign a new contract, I love to see Madrid fans lose the plot

irishfeen wrote: »
    Well apparently LVG's brief is to win the PL within the next two seasons and go very far in the CL... I think with LVG is a mixture of the long term (youth) and short term (older successful established players)

I agree VG wants to win as much as he can in his two years so will focus on quick fixes a bit, if people wish to call them. The reason he's also looking at youth in my view is since Giggs will be taking over after and is currently assistant they will be looking to leave him with a good squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Adamocovic wrote: »
    since Giggs will be taking over after

signed that contract already, has he?

• Advertisement

Fenix wrote: »

Ramos brings leadership in defense. He brings goals, like Schweinsteiger, he has won everything.

Varane will not be sold, and no word he wants to leave and join United.

United will have an increasing cash flow over coming years, United will be able to replace world class with world class, we would not be sacrificing the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement