Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deutschland 83/86/89 [SundanceTV] [**Spoilers**]

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭trashcan

Scary to think how close to Armageddon we came. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

prinzeugen wrote: »
    On season 2 atm and the bloody subtitles are in German with no english, great show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

sugarman wrote: »
    They're in English on All4.

Well feck it didn't know, much appreciated I've that app on the phone, brilliant thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Acosta

prinzeugen wrote: »

I saw a good documentary about Able Archer a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/tPit2BGNKwo

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Such a good series, cant wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

Deutschland 83 & 86 Recap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

brian_t wrote: »
    Deutschland 83 & 86 Recap

Thanks for sharing that, really enjoyed it. I'd actually forgotten a lot of 86, remembered all of 83, which, imo was the better of the two. looking forward watching 89.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

89 starts tonight on More 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Just finished the first episode of 89. What a great show and soundtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Just finished the series, loved it, a close second to 83 for me and that’s saying something. Loved the montage at the end, powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Loved the scene to the end
    when the HVA bosses see on tv the opening of the border, and the use of actual tv footage. Goosebumps!

5 episodes down, and loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Mostly enjoying this, though at times I don't have a scooby what is happening.
    Thought the episodes with Martin undercover with the 'Baader Meinhoffs' went on a bit, and the Winkleman/CIA scenes are a waste of space.

Up to episode 6 (the one that was on More4 last Friday).

I thought the scene in Tina's apartment was superbly done. I genuinely didn't know whether Tina was wrong or the guy had indeed been the Stasi interrogator - thus I was sharing her doubts and confusion as she tried to work it out. (Maybe it was obvious either way for an attentive viewer who remembered the interrogator or knew the actor?).

The scenes in Sorrento were great fun as well - again I'm not sure whether the Fuchs' are becoming capitalists and planning to keep the loot themselves, or whether they are genuinely trying to relaunch the communist party. And I don't know whether that's something which should be obvious to me, or whether its to be part of the denouement. :confused:

Doesn't look like we are getting any Annette (Martins ex, mother of Max) this series. A shame because it looks like the scenes with the teacher were originally written with Annette in mind and they don't really fit now.

Mostly enjoying this, though at times I don't have a scooby what is happening.
    Thought the episodes with Martin undercover with the 'Baader Meinhoffs' went on a bit, and the Winkleman/CIA scenes are a waste of space.

Up to episode 6 (the one that was on More4 last Friday).

I thought the scene in Tina's apartment was superbly done. I genuinely didn't know whether Tina was wrong or the guy had indeed been the Stasi interrogator - thus I was sharing her doubts and confusion as she tried to work it out. (Maybe it was obvious either way for an attentive viewer who remembered the interrogator or knew the actor?).

The scenes in Sorrento were great fun as well - again I'm not sure whether the Fuchs' are becoming capitalists and planning to keep the loot themselves, or whether they are genuinely trying to relaunch the communist party. And I don't know whether that's something which should be obvious to me, or whether its to be part of the denouement. :confused:

Doesn't look like we are getting any Annette (Martins ex, mother of Max) this series. A shame because it looks like the scenes with the teacher were originally written with Annette in mind and they don't really fit now.

I’m at that episode too. Whoever the guy in Tinas apartment is (and I don’t remember either) he’s certainly up to no good.

I think Fuchs is definitely enjoying his new lifestyle. His “scheisse” when he saw Lenora arriving was quite telling. He also seems quite open to working with the CIA/BND. One thing I didn’t get from the previous episode is where Max shows Walter the photo and he uses it to blackmail the woman from the bank. What was the significance of the photo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭sliabh 1956

One of my all time favourite TV Series that and The Americans great acting and great storylinesI never get tired of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Just finished episode 6 today myself. It did start off on a bit of a meander, but it has been getting really enjoyable now; this last one was great tv. Weaving in the narrative of real history, with properly fleshed out characters is making this into another excellent German series.

Just finished episode 6 today myself. It did start off on a bit of a meander, but it has been getting really enjoyable now; this last one was great tv. Weaving in the narrative of real history, with properly fleshed out characters is making this into another excellent German series.

Anything else German you’d recommend cd ? I’ve heard good things about The Same Skies, which was described as basically Deutschland 74.

trashcan wrote: »
    Anything else German you’d recommend cd ? I’ve heard good things about The Same Skies, which was described as basically Deutschland 74.
    I have Same Skies cued up (only 1 series afaik), and looking forward to it.

Babylon Berlin is top notch tv.

Dark might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if the reviews' blurbs grab you, it is one of the best shows out there of its ilk, German or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Dark might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if the reviews' blurbs grab you, it is one of the best shows out there of its ilk, German or not.

+1 Dark changed my view on subtitles. Such a good show! When something is that good the inconvenience becomes irrelevant. If anything it forces to watch and concentrate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I enjoyed this. I was in the DDR in 1985/86 and the reconstructions of products and colours of things are spot on. Some very funny moments.
    Loved when Walter was going to go over to the West in his clearly East German issue suit, hat and coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

oh my god best series in a long time loved the whole thing watched it in real more4 time loved the ending !

I remember reading about this only last year: in episode 6, I think this is what Helmut Kohl was referring to in the Leipzig speech.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/how-a-pan-european-picnic-brought-down-the-iron-curtain-hungarians-austrians

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

89 has started on RTE 2 on Weds nights. First episode is up on the player.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I quite enjoyed this, having slowly caught up through RTE Player - only episodes 7 and 8 left there now. Some folks over on Reddit were less kind about it. I got a kick out of Schweppenstette's 'oh my God!' x3 times in the first episode, upon seeing footage of the Wall coming down. And of course, we can't forget to pass comment on Fritz's voice activation system for home appliances later on in the series, brilliant. Martin was fairly put through the wringer, I felt no pity for Valdez at all. Props to the cast, I think Tina's storyline in the apartment had me the most concerned. The montage at the end had to the whole 'those who ignore history', etc, etc, thing going on.

Now, how thick is your HVA file?

Advertisement