Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC froze and now won't boot

Options
  • 02-07-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey guys, my PC froze and I couldn't do anything to get it going again so had to switch off the power. When I turned it back on the fan would spin and it would try to turn on but won't work, this then happens every 10 seconds or so.

I unplugged from the wall and left it for awhile, I tried to start again and it did work but after 5 mins again it froze. I had to turn off power then when I attempted to turn it on again the same outcome occurred with it trying to start on and off.

Its a build I had made just under a year ago and this is the first problem I've had. How would I test if it was the PSU or Motherboard?

Thanks in advance to any replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sounds like a PSU issue to me. Only way to be sure is to borrow a PSU from someone (if possible) and monitor it. The fact that it does start after some time, and it locks up/becomes unbootable suddenly would point towards the PSU to me

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You can have the same symptoms with problematic memory or CPU / chipset overheating.

Is your self-build set up with overclocking?
    Maybe look for motherboard status lights for your particular motherboard?
    Run through the BIOS diagnostic menu tests, and looked at CPU temps?
    Run with one memory module, then another in a different slot?
    Unplug power and remove the BIOS battery for a minute, then reattach?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

Could be the cpu overheating that happened to me until I got a corsair hydro h60 and now iv no problems at all even when under heavy load

Advertisement