Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need "HTPC" - music/video on Android devices

Options
  • 02-07-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Long time not posting in this forum.
    So I have a HP microserver with Win 8 (likely soon to be 10).
    It's hooked up to my amp and I control via a Bluetooth Logitech keyboard or Kore on Android Phone and/or Tablet.

All the above is fine for playing on TV and AMP.

What I'd like to do now I have a tablet is to be able to play the music/video stored on my "server" on these drives. I can FTP in and copy but seems OTT and there must be a smoother way.

Any solution for me, preferably one that doesn't involve too much setup.

Cheers,
    MAJJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I use BSPlayer Free on a tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I use BSPlayer Free on a tablet

Thanks Johnboy.
    Just looking at the features is it solely a local player on the tablet or can it stream media from a server on your own network?

MAJJ wrote: »
    Thanks Johnboy.
    Just looking at the features is it solely a local player on the tablet or can it stream media from a server on your own network?

it works on my LAN ..... you need to install it and check it out for your use ;)
    Playback files directly from your LAN drives (such as external USB drives,SMB shares, PCs etc.) - no need to copy files to SD card anymore!

it works on my LAN ..... you need to install it and check it out for your use ;)

Cheers, just downloaded it to android phone and it connected straight away.

Looks good so far, do you use the pro version or find the regular one OK?

Cheers, just downloaded it to android phone and it connected straight away.

Looks good so far, do you use the pro version or find the regular one OK?

The free one does all I need, and the ads do not interfere with me.

Glad it does what you need ;)

• Advertisement

Got to stream a full quality file, excellent quality and perfect performance straight away. Thanks Johnboy.

From windows 7 to Android - could only use Public/Videos folder to share none of the others are working so need to review and learn a bit on sharing.

Got to stream a full quality file, excellent quality and perfect performance straight away. Thanks Johnboy.

From windows 7 to Android - could only use Public/Videos folder to share none of the others are working so need to review and learn a bit on sharing.

Maybe someone who uses windows can help, I don't so have no idea what might be required ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Also check out Kodi, Kodi is a fully fledged media centre with lots of plugins and add-ons. This opens up lots of options including what I use myself the Yatse app which includes local playback (paid). I have Kodi on my HTPC which connects to network shares and stream i from it to Android devices using Yatse. Kodi is also available for Android but may be overkill as it is so configurable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Plex is what you need. Simplest and best solution IMO

Also check out Kodi, Kodi is a fully fledged media centre with lots of plugins and add-ons. This opens up lots of options including what I use myself the Yatse app which includes local playback (paid). I have Kodi on my HTPC which connects to network shares and stream i from it to Android devices using Yatse. Kodi is also available for Android but may be overkill as it is so configurable.

I use KODI for direct play on the server and control it with KORE remote on Android, really like it.

Must look at Yatse, cheers as didn't know it had that feature.

Cheers

• Advertisement

That's what I was thinking before I posted but didn't want to influence answers.

I assume I replace kodi with plex on the server and have android apps to control?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

That's what I was thinking before I posted but didn't want to influence answers.

I assume I replace kodi with plex on the server and have android apps to control?

Yep :)

PMS runs on your server and all your devices run the Plex app.

Yep :)

PMS runs on your server and all your devices run the Plex app.

Cheers up and running, very easy to set up. Need to get used to it as very used to kodi/xbmc and this is very different. Technically does what I need then so does Yatse so will play about with both.

Thanks all for the help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Actually, the simplest solution would be something like Serviio. With the likes of Plex it needs to scrape your library, which if isn't set correctly will miss label things.

Serviio just reads the directories and displays it as is. OP doesn't really seem to need Plex either.
    Cheers up and running, very easy to set up. Need to get used to it as very used to kodi/xbmc and this is very different. Technically does what I need then so does Yatse so will play about with both.

Thanks all for the help.

If all you need was something to manage media as a backend to Kodi, which would allow you to share over your network. It's much better with EMBY.

More info here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/99-kodi/

Emby also acts as a DLNA/UPnP server. So you don't need to get EMBYs apps for your tablet/phone.

Advertisement