Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

panel attic /danger?

Options
  • 02-07-2015 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I was talking to someone today who told me that they had noticed on and off their house alarm was not setting. They could hear a "beep" occasionally but were not sure where the noise was coming from. anyway to cut a long story short....the beeping was a smoke detector not too far from the panel which is in the attic.

Never heard anything like that before. its frightening. alarm co say they never heard of it happening before , replaced panel and sent old one off for examination.

company is reputable.

I have a HKC in attic. I have a smoke detector(wired in series) in landing and kitchen. If one goes off so does the other. They are mains wired I am happy enough.

In view of this issue , I want to install a detector over the panel in my attic.
    question is: are there any additional requirement under the present regs as regards panels in attics ..eg ...extra safety measures as in detectors etc.

I am very surprised that the panel didn't talk to the remote keypad in this case to alert to this fault , which should have caused an error , causing an engineer fault to have it checked? will check panel make and update here.

as of now , if I get a smoke detector HKC and enrol it on the system , if there is an event , will the panel advise me on text that this is a "fire" event? or just a "alarm" event? im hope to use wireless fire detector I don't want to hard wire to the panel as its messy (for me)

thks all

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The extreme temperature fluctuations make the attic a bad place for any alarm panel.
    Also technically it would be outside the protected area unless a PiR etc was located in the attic.
    If you put a separate detector in the attic and put it on a separate zone then yes, it will alert you fire attic, or whatever you name it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

KoolKid wrote: »
    The extreme temperature fluctuations make the attic a bad place for any alarm panel.
    Also technically it would be outside the protected area unless a PiR etc was located in the attic.
    If you put a separate detector in the attic and put it on a separate zone then yes, it will alert you fire attic, or whatever you name it.

That's great thks so say smoke is detected it will activate int bell then Saab is that correct thks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes.
    A smoke alarm will activate all warning devices unless programmed differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

I was talking to someone today who told me that they had noticed on and off their house alarm was not setting. They could hear a "beep" occasionally but were not sure where the noise was coming from. anyway to cut a long story short....the beeping was a smoke detector not too far from the panel which is in the attic.

Never heard anything like that before. its frightening. alarm co say they never heard of it happening before , replaced panel and sent old one off for examination.

company is reputable.

I have a HKC in attic. I have a smoke detector(wired in series) in landing and kitchen. If one goes off so does the other. They are mains wired I am happy enough.

In view of this issue , I want to install a detector over the panel in my attic.
    question is: are there any additional requirement under the present regs as regards panels in attics ..eg ...extra safety measures as in detectors etc.

I am very surprised that the panel didn't talk to the remote keypad in this case to alert to this fault , which should have caused an error , causing an engineer fault to have it checked? will check panel make and update here.

as of now , if I get a smoke detector HKC and enrol it on the system , if there is an event , will the panel advise me on text that this is a "fire" event? or just a "alarm" event? im hope to use wireless fire detector I don't want to hard wire to the panel as its messy (for me)

thks all

If you do install a detector, a combi unit should be used.
    It would need smoke and heat to activate the alarm system.
    Less likely to false alarm.

altor wrote: »
    If you do install a detector, a combi unit should be used.
    It would need smoke and heat to activate the alarm system.
    Less likely to false alarm.

Very sensible advice will do that any chance of a link will pick one up tomorrow thks

• Advertisement

Very sensible advice will do that any chance of a link will pick one up tomorrow thks

R.E.W have them in stock.

can this be enrolled wirelessy on hkc 1070

can this be enrolled wirelessy on hkc 1070

No, these would be wired into a zone on the control panel.

altor wrote: »
    No, these would be wired into a zone on the control panel.

Thks may be back with few queries re this !!!

Thks may be back with few queries re this !!!

That is no problem.
    Just make sure you tell them it is a 12V one for an alarm system you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement