Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punished financially for getting promoted Public Sector

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jonathan wrote: »
    You'd be retired before you'd make it back. Take for example the AO scale, the difference between point 1 and point 12 (LSI2) is €28,372.

Well obviously if I am at the top of my payscale in my current grade it would not be smart to go back to point 1 in the next grade up however if I was only on point 3 or 4 than it would not be 2 bad. Other things would need to be looked at like further distance you may need to go and price for parking etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My wife left the PS when things took a turn for the worst. She was pretty much at the top of the AP scale.

She's been working in the private sector for the last few years, and recently applied for a similar position to the one she had - she got the job but was told she'd have to go back to the bottom of the AP scale!! Despite having more experience and accumulating an advanced qualification since she originally left the PS.

anyway between the salary hit she'd have had to have taken, combined with hits in other areas it just wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Just an update....I got sorted..incremental credit is possible...
    Wonder how OP got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 crazytaxi

Hey Zippy and thanks for the posts. Im at a loss of what to do next. Any chance you could give me some more details please? I am in the exact same position at the moment and keep hitting brick walls when it comes to maintaining my salary. Im transferring public service to civil service. Just wondered what it was you had to do. PM me please if its not too much bother

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

No sympathy from me I am afraid; dont like, dont take it or move to private sector. Spare a thought for AOs doing the work (and then some) of HEOs and earning up to €28k less instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Omnishambles99

Hey guys and girls.. Sort of a related query here ... What if you're a HEO and you succeed in getting a third secretary position in DFaT.... Would you go on to the nearest point of the third sec pay scale nearest to your HEO point or start at the bottom of the third Sec scale? I.e.: 29k€ ?

Advertisement