Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning Hiking

Options
  • 02-07-2015 10:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

So I need to get myself a hobby that takes me out of the house, and with the season that it is I wouldn't mind getting out for a hike on the weekends. But I'm completely inexperienced, so have no idea what kind of gear is essential or optional or what hikes are easy/difficult.

Where do I start? Oh, and I have no car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have no car.

That would make it tricky. You could of course join a club like the Irish Ramblers who actively use car sharing from car parks easily accessible by public transport

A club obviously also has the benefit of having the experience to help you start out, advice what gear you need, etc.

It's also a lot safer if something happens if you are out hiking in a group than if you're on your own. There's no bears / wolves / snakes in Ireland but if you're hiking on your own, break your leg and have no mobile reception and the wrong gear, you could easily be in a lot of trouble very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

So I need to get myself a hobby that takes me out of the house, and with the season that it is I wouldn't mind getting out for a hike on the weekends. But I'm completely inexperienced, so have no idea what kind of gear is essential or optional or what hikes are easy/difficult.

Not a problem - if you live in Dublin (esp. south dublin). I had no car for years but there where loads of options for getting into the hills from Dublin. Check out this thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94144991

Also there are plenty of 'essential gear' threads on this forum.

+ green line luas at brides glen stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

The most important thing starting off is to have good hiking boots. Walking on rough terrain put the feet and legs under pressure and its very easy to get injured if you dont have good quality boots. The rest of the clothing depends on the weather etc...... i find sportsdirect have good stuff for good money clothing wise that is.

Hiking is a great activity I was up the Comeraghs on wednesday with my 12yr old. We went for a nice 3hr hike and felt great after it......as always :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Proper boots are essential, of course. The next thing to have is a good waterproof, breathable jacket. You need to be able to keep dry and you can't always predict the weather when you are up in the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There are also a bunch of groups on Meetup.com too, they have hikes most weekends and also during the week. There is almost always someone willing to give a lift to and from hikes as well.

A couple of things you need though are decent boots & decent raingear

• Advertisement
Advertisement