Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop ivy

Options
  • 03-07-2015 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Any suggestions? It's growing through our garden from another and we have our own climbers we're trying to grow - I've been told that the ivy will kill our climbers if their paths meet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭amandstu

I always dig down if I have the energy and cut through below the ground any roots I find. That is quite easy to do although often the area is overgrown or difficult to get to.

In addition to that you can try spraying . This will not kill the plants the first year but perhaps repeated applications will do for the plant or at least set it right back.

The advice for spraying (I use roundup) with ivy is to scratch the leaves somehow first as they have a waxy coating that makes it hard for the chemical to penetrate the leaves.

I have never done that but it sounds a good idea although I am not quite sure what would be the beat way to go about it.

I am always careful not to just pull it out as that can damage the wall -in fact on one occasion I did this when up a ladder and large stones fell down and fell on the bottom rung of the ladder(thankfully the wall didn't collapse entirely!)

Advertisement