Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot to write "Ireland" on letter

Options
  • 03-07-2015 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I stupidly forgot to put Ireland on the envelope of a letter sent from England and only just realised now, any idea if the letter will ever reach home or is it lost forever?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I reckon that there's a very good chance that it'll get to where it's going but it'll have to be sorted manually as the mail scanners won't be able to tell where it's supposed to go to.

The county along with the fact that you've put a European 1GBP stamp on it should be enough to help it on it's way. Even if there was no address the Royal Mail will open it up and look for clues as to the address on the inside.

Skip to 4 minutes and watch this vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

I worked in the royal Mail sorting office one Xmas when I first came to the UK and I can only speak for the sorting office I was in , but even with Ireland on the letter , most of the ppl couldnt comprehend that it went into internationals .
    Once it didn't have a post code on it they just simply tossed it aside for somebody else to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 5 plecky93

kelledy wrote: »
    I worked in the royal Mail sorting office one Xmas when I first came to the UK and I can only speak for the sorting office I was in , but even with Ireland on the letter , most of the ppl couldnt comprehend that it went into internationals .
    Once it didn't have a post code on it they just simply tossed it aside for somebody else to deal with

I guess I got lucky then the letter I posted finally arrived after 8 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭crushproof

I get letters all the time from Oz, I keep telling them to put "Ireland" or the UK (when I'm living there) on them but they never do. Always just Dublin or Edinburgh.

Nonetheless no letter has ever gone missing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I once got a letter from someone with my address down as Northern Ireland, Royal Mail just diverted it down to ROI and it got here no problem.

Believe it or not most postal companies are surprisingly good at their jobs, our own An Post included!

Advertisement