Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Urine Odour

• 03-07-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello!

Just hoping some people may be able to advise me on trying to remove the smell of stale, dog urine from a concrete patio please? It seems lots of pee has passed through this patio in its time and also has soaked between the concrete slabs which are on a first floor patio and so therefore, little drainage and rainwater to flush it all away.

I bought an 'industrial' strength pet urine cleaner - Craftex Professional Urine Neutraliser, which received close to 5 stars reviews. I'm sure for smaller areas and less saturation, it probably does a great job but for me it has not managed to rid the smell, if anything, it has made it worse.

I'm thinking as concrete is porous, maybe it has just begun to release the smell and I need to do a few applications before I can live in my new home without feeling sick every time I open a window!!??

I used it neat, about 2.5 litres worth ( the area I am cleaning is 3.5 metres x 2 metres). As far as I know the main ingredients are acetic acid and surfactant. Acetic acid to neurtalise the pee and the surfactant to clean and give a nice aroma (which happens to be an extremely artificial bubble gum smell, pee is almost better smelling!). The cleaners aroma mixed with dog pee is disgusting, putting it mildly :(

So I am wondering if I should turn to white vinegar as I hear this is a great cleaner for urine. Has anybody tried this and if so:

Has it worked on concrete (I need to do carpets also incidentally so advice here would be appreciated also!)?

Should it be used neat or diluted?

Would Baking Soda work also if I rubbed it in?

Should I use Vinegar first and then Baking Soda as the next step?

And finally, where can I find large containers on white vinegar in Dublin?

Thanks sooo much for any advice here, these hot summer days are a misery with this smell rising :(

Poochie :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

PoochieW wrote: »
    Hello!

Just hoping some people may be able to advise me on trying to remove the smell of stale, dog urine from a concrete patio please? It seems lots of pee has passed through this patio in its time and also has soaked between the concrete slabs which are on a first floor patio and so therefore, little drainage and rainwater to flush it all away.

I bought an 'industrial' strength pet urine cleaner - Craftex Professional Urine Neutraliser, which received close to 5 stars reviews. I'm sure for smaller areas and less saturation, it probably does a great job but for me it has not managed to rid the smell, if anything, it has made it worse.

I'm thinking as concrete is porous, maybe it has just begun to release the smell and I need to do a few applications before I can live in my new home without feeling sick every time I open a window!!??

I used it neat, about 2.5 litres worth ( the area I am cleaning is 3.5 metres x 2 metres). As far as I know the main ingredients are acetic acid and surfactant. Acetic acid to neurtalise the pee and the surfactant to clean and give a nice aroma (which happens to be an extremely artificial bubble gum smell, pee is almost better smelling!). The cleaners aroma mixed with dog pee is disgusting, putting it mildly :(

So I am wondering if I should turn to white vinegar as I hear this is a great cleaner for urine. Has anybody tried this and if so:

Has it worked on concrete (I need to do carpets also incidentally so advice here would be appreciated also!)?

Should it be used neat or diluted?

Would Baking Soda work also if I rubbed it in?

Should I use Vinegar first and then Baking Soda as the next step?

And finally, where can I find large containers on white vinegar in Dublin?

Thanks sooo much for any advice here, these hot summer days are a misery with this smell rising :(

Poochie :)

Op its not very clear from your post but when you say first floor - do you mean its an apartment? or just a normal patio?

I use jeyes http://www.jeyes.com/en-gb/our-products/jeyes-fluid/

and find it excellent for dog wee smell.

however if it in infact a normal patio area (not a balcony patio) I would hire a petrol power house once per year and clean it right down this will lift ANY smell then i would finish off by spraying form jeeves and washing off etc

if your are in a apartment with a balcony patio i would borrow a power house from someone and hose it down the wash off with jeyes - this will lift any smell but needs to be done a few time s a year

but please remember these products are very strong and will damage a dogs pads on their feet unless washed off completely.

Once you get the area clean i would just investing in a water can and jeyes and dilute and wash off weekly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The most potent one I've found was OdorXit but you'd need to import it from the US (they ship world wide and the declaration for customs to get it through is excellent on what it contains so no issues with the chemicals etc.) and I'd recommend the concentrated bottle but it's not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

We use bio logical washing powder or liquid from aldi on our artificial grass and and gravel ;it absolutely works a dream for killing oders.

We mix a good amount of bio logical liquid with warm water and coat the whole lot.

Make sure its bio and not non biological as it won't have the same result.

Only costs a few euro so defiantly worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PoochieW

Thank you all so much, really very much appreciated.

Keaves - I'm going to try to biological washing powder first, I think that should kill of the bacteria which are causing much of the odour, then wash it down with vinegar to neutralise anything remaining, then cover it all in baking soda and vacuum up after a few hours! That's the initial plan anyway and repeat as needed!

Nody - If the above plan fails, then I will try to get that Odorxit, I know it is pricey so hopefully the household stuff for plan a might do it. Was wondering if maybe you can let me know if there was an import tax on yours when you ordered, as it is coming in from outside the EU. I had googled around before initially posting here and Odorxit seemed to do the trick for people, but the price and possible import tax put me off a bit.

Cocker5 - thanks so much, I hadn't even thought of Jeyes Fluid!! I wondered though if it may be toxic to dogs!!?? I heard it is terrible for cats and can cause death, so I am afraid to use it. Do you dilute yours down much? I would give it a go if I could be sure it was safe for my doggie friends!

Again, all this advice is very much appreciated guys, thanks so much... One day soon I will be able to open my windows again! I'm living in a sauna these past few days :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

PoochieW wrote: »
    Nody - If the above plan fails, then I will try to get that Odorxit, I know it is pricey so hopefully the household stuff for plan a might do it. Was wondering if maybe you can let me know if there was an import tax on yours when you ordered, as it is coming in from outside the EU. I had googled around before initially posting here and Odorxit seemed to do the trick for people, but the price and possible import tax put me off a bit.
    I ordered in two bottles and a UV flashlight (get one of those as well if you're ever worried about finding pee spots inside, most suck but theirs work great!) and it ended up at about 40 EUR in taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 PoochieW

Nody - Thank you so much for getting back to me with that info, really very good of you :):) I will keep it in mind for the future.

Just to let ye all know, the biological washing powder did the trick anyway. I washed the concrete down twice and the smell is gone, my windows are open (YAY!!!!) and I have never known concrete to smell sooo good (I even had my nose to it and it's fresh and lovely!!! hahaha)

I bought loads of vinegar and baking powder also, so I'm going to use them just as a last barrier of protection now that I have them all, so no hidden odours make their way back! But for now, well happy with the results and thanks to everyone for helping me out here, you have no idea how much I appreciate it. I can live again without feeling sick, lol :D

Advertisement