Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance: what company will insure a named driver as sole driver?

• 03-07-2015 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I have two quotes: one for €325 per year; one for €482. The latter will allow the current named driver to become the main driver. The former will only allow them to be named on the policy. So, I just want to find out the real cost of choosing the €325 policy by checking what sort of price the named driver will pay after two years named on the €325 policy when they want to be insured as the main driver on their own policy.

Will they receive any discount if they want to get a car in their own name then? If so, what are the companies which will deal with them?

NoNonsense won't quote me:"Sorry, We are unable to provide you with a quote on this occasion...Unfortunately at this time we are unable to quote you for the following reason(s): You do not meet our New Business Underwriting criteria for this channel. A Drivers profile does not meet our New Business Underwriting criteria for this channel..."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

You keep asking variations of this in various threads. It doesn't matter if an insurer consents or not to a named driver being the main driver under a policy. Only the INSURED PERSON ever gains a no claim bonus. Additional drivers gain 'named driver experience' and some insurers give a discount for it and some don't. You won't find out until the time comes for them to take out their own poilcy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

You keep asking variations of this in various threads. It doesn't matter if an insurer consents or not to a named driver being the main driver under a policy. Only the INSURED PERSON ever gains a no claim bonus. Additional drivers gain 'named driver experience' and some insurers give a discount for it and some don't. You won't find out until the time comes for them to take out their own poilcy

According to this website the above is incorrect:

"If I've previously been a named driver on another person's policy, will I still be eligible for a no claims bonus? You certainly will. Most companies we work with give a no claims discount, which is based on the number of full years that you've been a name driver."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

gaiscioch wrote: »
    According to this website the above is incorrect:

"If I've previously been a named driver on another person's policy, will I still be eligible for a no claims bonus? You certainly will. Most companies we work with give a no claims discount, which is based on the number of full years that you've been a name driver."

Read my post properly and read the link in full. Chill are just an insurance broker and they have simplified the explanation of the process. I stand by my comment, but I will try and clarify it.

Only the policyholder ever earns a no claim bonus. However, many insurers will give you a named driver discount equal to to certain stages on their no claim bonus scale. Some will allow you the equivalent of a point on the scale for every year named, some will give you 1 stage for every 2 years named etc but many will tell you, 'no thanks, not one for us'

Advertisement