Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have engineers used the einsteins theories to put satellites into orbit?

Options
  • 03-07-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Space time in particular.

Have questions been answered that confused engineers when the concept of dark energy was discovered?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

euser1984 wrote: »

Have questions been answered that confused engineers when the concept of dark energy was discovered?

Thanks.

Einsteins equations are used to correct for GPS anomalies. Both special and general relativity.

It doesn't affect the launch of satellites. I don't think dark energy has much to do with it.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/1061/why-does-gps-depend-on-relativity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Sorry I meant to put satellites into a circling orbit around earth using space-time type theory?

Have satellites (in a way) somewhat proven that space time exists to cause gravitational pull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Sorry I meant to put satellites into a circling orbit around earth using space-time type theory?

Have satellites (in a way) somewhat proven that space time exists to cause gravitational pull?

Yes. But not to *put* them in space ( where velocities are too low to be relevent) but because of the time dilations caused by their relative velocities and lower gravitational pull when measuring GPS signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ps200306

Thanks.
    What does the question mean? All you need to put satellites in orbit is a lot of rocket fuel and Newton's third law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

ps200306 wrote: »
    What does the question mean? All you need to put satellites in orbit is a lot of rocket fuel and Newton's third law.

Or a very very long ladder.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure you understand my question. It doesn't matter anyway - I have my answer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Or a very very long ladder.

Wouldn't you have to accelerate the top of the ladder to keep it from falling over?

FISMA. wrote: »
    Wouldn't you have to accelerate the top of the ladder to keep it from falling over?
    No, the centripetal force on the ladder would be directed vertically. If you tried to climb the ladder, you'd have to accelerate eastwards but your angular momentum can be stolen from the earths rotation if the ladder has sufficient tensile strength. :pac:

I reckon it might take too long to climb the ladder......

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

No, the centripetal force on the ladder would be directed vertically.

???

What?

???

• Advertisement

FISMA. wrote: »
    ???

What?

???
    What what? :pac:

Advertisement