Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Il either be heading out to the Red Cow event or watching it in a mates, Saturday is payday aswell so i cant wait for a few pints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Much prefer watching at home, never see it properly in a mates house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

I'll get up in the morning around 8am and look on Facebook to see who one. (I read the last page of a novel after the first chapter)
    If conor wins ill watch it straight away via a download, if mini wins I won't watch til I come to terms with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

nc19 wrote: »
    I'll get up in the morning around 8am and look on Facebook to see who one. (I read the last page of a novel after the first chapter)
    If conor wins ill watch it straight away via a download, if mini wins I won't watch til I come to terms with it

Right...well, you know, that's just ****ing weird man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Does your mother still butter your toast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's ridiculous carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Davei141 wrote: »
    I'll be tucked up in bed nice and early, say 11pm. Sleep till about 7am grab a cup of tea and watch the card from the very first fight fresh as a daisy. Can't stand staying up all night to be half asleep for the most important fights. Do this for all the cards.

No way could I manage that. I'd have to watch it live. Me personally, I'm going to a mates to watch it :) Not sure if there'll be drinks etc. but yeah that's the plan. Can't wait. This week in work is dragging ofc :P

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Big fights like this never live up to the hype. The build up is by far the best part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Saipanne wrote: »
    I do this for all but McGregor fights. Too many idiots trying to ruin it for others.

Yeah i hear ya, my phone will be off and laptop will be dead, plus ill be staying in so completely isolated from spoilers!

This actually explains quite a lot. :pac:
    stephenl15 wrote: »
    No way could I manage that. I'd have to watch it live. Me personally, I'm going to a mates to watch it :) Not sure if there'll be drinks etc. but yeah that's the plan. Can't wait. This week in work is dragging ofc :P

Tried watching events live sometimes, usually end up regretting it when it hits 4am and i couldn't care less who is fighting due to how tired i am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Tried watching events live sometimes, usually end up regretting it when it hits 4am and i couldn't care less who is fighting due to how tired i am!

I will definitely be keeping the caffeine intake up as well as the alcohol intake at stage of the night/morning!:D

• Advertisement

bur wrote:
    Does your mother still butter your toast?

I don't understand this......I presume it's some sort of culchieism

Davei141 wrote:
    This actually explains quite a lot.

Let me just clarify

I have a young child. I am up with said child at 8am if not earlier. There is no way I am staying up to watch the fight or getting up early to watch it. If this means I'm not a true fan in people's eyes I don't care.

Also, I'm an epic jinx!
    I can't watch an Ireland football game live anymore cos if I do we lose. It's the same for conor. I haven't watched a fight live and he's won!!! Nothing to do with his skill.....it's all down to me not watching so I'm doing it for him really.......

In terms of knowing the result before watching I have no defence.....I'm an impatient bastid

you mean to see who won?? if conor wins you can head off and buy the sunday world with free conor McGregor pre printed poster! ha ha ha

stupid carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Let me just clarify

I have a young child. I am up with said child at 8am if not earlier. There is no way I am staying up to watch the fight or getting up early to watch it. If this means I'm not a true fan in people's eyes I don't care.

Also, I'm an epic jinx!
    I can't watch an Ireland football game live anymore cos if I do we lose. It's the same for conor. I haven't watched a fight live and he's won!!! Nothing to do with his skill.....it's all down to me not watching so I'm doing it for him really.......

In terms of knowing the result before watching I have no defence.....I'm an impatient bastid

But surely if you're a fan of MMA you like to watch a fight? The intrigue is in not knowing what's going to happen.

I will definitely be keeping the caffeine intake up as well as the alcohol intake at stage of the night/morning!:D

A boat load of coffee and beers it is like something out of the exorcist when you try to sleep!
    Let me just clarify

Also, I'm an epic jinx!

Ah i'm just teasing man, it just seems like a waste knowing the result before watching it, where is the excitement in that?

Let me just clarify

Also, I'm an epic jinx!

to each his own I suppose but trust me, the outcome is not decided by one man on his couch back in Ireland. very strange but then folk are strange. I wouldn't knock you for it as I may have to do the same, go into a media coma and watch sunday morning. work issues that's all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Remember someone predicted that Aldo McGregor would end in a properly unconscious knockout for the victor, as the hatred was too strong (or something)?

I wonder what his views are on this fight?

you mean like the bisping v hendo knockout!! ha ha ha face bashed "I just wanted to shut em up".. classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

rusty cole wrote: »
    you mean like the bisping v hendo knockout!! ha ha ha face bashed "I just wanted to shut em up".. classic!

Ya I can't remember who interviewed him but they him asked something along the lines of "did you not know he was out after the first punch?" to which hendo replied ya I did after near breaking his jaw while the count was out cold on the ocatagon floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Let me just clarify

I don't anyone was refering to watching it the next day. Everyone's circumstances are different. But spoiling the fight for yourself...there are no words tbh.
    If you download the fight without reading results, then the fights are no live different to live from your point of view. Why would you ruin that?

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote:
    Ah i'm just teasing man, it just seems like a waste knowing the result before watching it, where is the excitement in that?

I won't know how or when he won so there's the intrigue

Mellor wrote:
    I don't anyone was refering to watching it the next day. Everyone's circumstances are different. But spoiling the fight for yourself...there are no words tbh. If you download the fight without reading results, then the fights are no live different to live from your point of view. Why would you ruin that?

It's hard to explain. I am emotionally involved in conors fight rightly or wrongly. I don't think I could cope with watching without knowing the result. I wouldn't enjoy the fight. I'd be constantly worried that the next jab will knock him out....that would ruin it for me.....personally.

I won't know how or when the fight finished ill just know who won.

Just to say also, is there a set of rules one must follow in order to be classed as a fan of something???

I enjoy taking a dump. You could call me a fan of it. If I don't take a dump the same way as the masses does that mean I'm not a fan?

You consume the fight your way and ill consume it my way

funny dump story! :)

nah don't take that too seriously, we're all saying things tongue in cheek so as not to get banned anyway.

to each his own I say, some people are like that alright. just enjoy it whatever way and whenever you see it. Is someone watches a big fight, even one and enjoys it, then I consider them a fan. some people think you have to be a recognised authority or Oracle in order to qualify.. Fook them!

A boat load of coffee and beers it is like something out of the exorcist when you try to sleep!

I actually lol'ed in work at this!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

I see nc19's point ! I have this opinion on soccer . I need to know the scores of my teams match (match trackers ,livescore, soccer saturday etc) and can't wait for match of the day or any of that lark !!! I couldn't however do this with UFC but each to their own

I actually lol'ed in work at this!:D

same! I read the comment out to lads in the office, very funny one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's hard to explain. I am emotionally involved in conors fight rightly or wrongly. I don't think I could cope with watching without knowing the result. I wouldn't enjoy the fight. I'd be constantly worried that the next jab will knock him out....that would ruin it for me.....personally.

Just to say also, is there a set of rules one must follow in order to be classed as a fan of something???

I enjoy taking a dump. You could call me a fan of it. If I don't take a dump the same way as the masses does that mean I'm not a fan?

Your way is very very wrong though.

Super analogy though. :rolleyes:

Do you prefer to know the colour and texture of your dump before or after you take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

i'll be heading out 10ish to mcgowans ;) might come back for 1am for cathal goat pendreds fight or i might just stay out , be back with friends bout 2am and watch it from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Also very good points there to be fair.

So how is everyone planning on staying awake for the fight? I usually go to bed around 9 then get up before the pre-lims start and have a few bottles...sometimes I stay awake but if I start drinking before 1am there's a risk it'll be lights out before the main event...there's talk of a poker game beforehand.

What about you lads?

I have GAA championship match to play at 6pm sunday so that ruins any chance of scoops for me unfortunately.

Saipanne wrote:
    Do you prefer to know the colour and texture of your dump before or after you take it?

Of course!!!!

I liked that embedded episode showing Chad's hunting activities, pretty cool to see he kills most of his own food and has his own chickens for eggs.

I've seen people say Mendes is rattled by Conor already because he's been mentioning him in these videos and other stuff and I couldn't see anything further from these claims. The chap is cool as a cucumber and only mentions Conor with tongue in cheek comments like "I'll mount his head in here after I beat him"

Also it's great to see Conor get in the zone the nearer the fight gets. Much calmer and certain.

I liked that embedded episode showing Chad's hunting activities, pretty cool to see he kills most of his own food and has his own chickens for eggs.

I've seen people say Mendes is rattled by Conor already because he's been mentioning him in these videos and other stuff and I couldn't see anything further from these claims. The chap is cool as a cucumber and only mentions Conor with tongue in cheek comments like "I'll mount his head in here after I beat him"

Also it's great to see Conor get in the zone the nearer the fight gets. Much calmer and certain.

Also, it's likely that the camera team are probing him with questions in order to get him talking about Conor. We don't hear that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Although a differant stylistic match up between Mendes and McG it reminds me of the Pourier fight in the build up. Everyone thought Pourier was tough enough to give him a good fight , I think Pourier got too emotionally involved in the fight as well and tried to get at him earlier than he should have, the result was he got knocked out very quickly and underestimated McG striking range , ability and power. I think Mendes will meet a similar faith in the 1st round.

One of the great thing's he does, behind all the thrash talk is get under his opponents skin. Despite what Mendes may say I think he's too involved in this personally and will come out swinging, McG is never involved personally , always controlled , aware and very loose and calm.

I'd love a good 5 round fight here, but my gut says first round KO or TKO.

Conor is either under Mendes and the rest of team Alpha Male’s skin or they’re all trying to hype the fight (albeit poorly) by mentioning Conor at every opportunity.

I think it’s the former as:
    1) Mendes is still noticeably flustered when anyone mentions the balls comment from over a year ago
    2) He’s brought up Conor and his dislike for him continuously since the comment was made, even mentioning him after losing to Aldo when Conor should have been far from his mind
    3) When someone has to keep going out of their way to make the point that someone isn’t in their head they’re already in their head
    4) His whole team won’t stop talking about Conor (in a personal way) during the embedded show and even on the UFC snapchat yesterday Garbrandt started saying that he was waiting for Conor to have a go at him when he was sitting across from him during the poster sigings. Having your whole support system constantly talking about how they don’t like your opponent can’t be good for your head
    5) Mendes has repeatedly talked about Conor trying things to get into his head, when Conor has actually done very little since the change was announced. This sense of paranoia isn’t healthy in the lead up to a fight; Poirier had the same issue thinking Conor was going to try to jump him etc and then once he was put into the hot bed of the weigh-ins and fight, when Conor was pushing his buttons, he was ready to explode rather than staying calm

I’m not saying Mendes will go the same way as Poirier but it’s going to be fascinating to watch embedded, press conferences, and weigh ins to see how Mendes reacts now that they’re coming face to face for the first time.

Just to say, I and I don't think anyone else was saying your not a fan because of the way you watch or don't watch the fight, I was just pointing out that It's extremely strange, as is the book thing.
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    Conor is either under Mendes and the rest of team Alpha Male’s skin or they’re all trying to hype the fight (albeit poorly) by mentioning Conor at every opportunity.

He's fighting McGregor of course he's going to be talking about him leading up to the fight? McGregor talks about Mendes a lot recently, does that mean Mendes is in McGregors head?

• Advertisement

I’m not saying Mendes will go the same way as Poirier but it’s going to be fascinating to watch embedded, press conferences, and weigh ins to see how Mendes reacts now that they’re coming face to face for the first time.

This is the sort of view I don't get. To me they're mentioning him as much as anybody should who is about to fight the man. Chad is not flustered or flipping out in any way. He's speaking calmly and hyping the fight in the little way he can.

Weigh in's may be very different to be fair. But at the moment Chad does not look bothered to me and is in the right frame of mind (to be fair this is based on the very little footage we are actually seeing)

JHe's fighting McGregor of course he's going to be talking about him leading up to the fight? McGregor talks about Mendes a lot recently, does that mean Mendes is in McGregors head?

He’s been talking about him for the last year and in a personal way, not just saying he’s going to win or has the better skills. Compare what he says about Conor to what Conor is currently saying about him or what Rory and Robbie are saying about each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Just to say, I and I don't think anyone else was saying your not a fan because of the way you watch or don't watch the fight, I was just pointing out that It's extremely strange, as is the book thing.

He's fighting McGregor of course he's going to be talking about him leading up to the fight? McGregor talks about Mendes a lot recently, does that mean Mendes is in McGregors head?

I dunno , obviously they are both promoting it. But I actually do think Mendes took the 'Balls on your head comment' very personally , he bring's it up a lot and it was very embarrasing for him at the time, you could see his face drop when it was said and ever since even before they were officially fighting he has been itching for this fight..

I dunno , obviously they are both promoting it. But I actually do think Mendes took the 'Balls on your head comment' very personally , he bring's it up a lot and it was very embarrasing for him at the time, you could see his face drop when it was said and ever since even before they were officially fighting he has been itching for this fight..

Mendes gave as good as he got in that little exchange last year. Albeit the lucky charms thing was embarrassing. Mendes wants to fight McGregor, he has wanted to fight him for at least a year now. He is in no way afraid or intimidated by McGregor and If you think Mendes Is going to throw discipline and form out the window because McGregor called him small you'll be in for a surprise.

Mendes gave as good as he got in that little exchange last year. Albeit the lucky charms thing was embarrassing. Mendes wants to fight McGregor, he has wanted to fight him for at least a year now. He is in no way afraid or intimidated by McGregor and If you think Mendes Is going to throw discipline and form out the window because McGregor called him small you'll be in for a surprise.

This is exactly what I'm getting at. Mendes wants to fight McGregor and has been itching for it and may have taking some comments personally.

But none of this has gotten in Mendes' head and he is not phased (yet) by it.At the moment he looks calm, focused, motivated and (in his mind) ready to go in and put a beaten on Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

At least he didn't try call him a Leprechaun, that would have been a tad ironic!

He’s been talking about him for the last year and in a personal way, not just saying he’s going to win or has the better skills. Compare what he says about Conor to what Conor is currently saying about him or what Rory and Robbie are saying about each other.

People talk about Conor because that is the money fight, everyone wants a piece of him for $$$$, especially guys whose specialties are his supposed weakness (wrestling). That is the extent of it, it is getting tiring listening to the "hes in his head stuff" based on a guy hyping a fight on an embedded show, he mentioned the guy hes going to fight in 3 days? no way.

As for the bolded part, are you seriously trying to compare Mendes v McGregor to Rory v Robbie? Do i even need to waste time on how different those situations are?

I keep saying it, these NCAA wrestler guys have been competing at a high level for practically their whole lives. They are completely different beasts mentally than the average MMA fighter. They have heard all the trash talk before they even started in MMA and while they can't ignore it like it wasn't said (and have to acknowledge it in interviews, etc), you very rarely see any of the former NCAA wrestlers let it affect them during the fight. Mendes will go in there with a game plan and will have the discipline to stick to it regardless of what McGregor has said in the past or says during the fight. I would be shocked if McGregor gets anywhere near the same mental edge over Mendes that he got over Poirier or Brandao.

............. I was just pointing out that It's extremely strange, as is the book thing.

I'm defo a funny onion alright

In no way did he give as good as he got in that exchange, when he managed to get a word in they were terrible comebacks.

Being in someone’s head doesn’t mean they’re afraid or intimidated (and I don’t think Mendes is either of those things). I’ve already listed the signs that McGregor is in his head, we just don’t know what effect it’ll have.

I’d wait until you see his demeanor when they come face to face over and over again this week before you make that sort of declaration. Gabrandt isn’t even fighting McGregor and he was getting wound up just sitting across from him when he was silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Of course they are in 'each others heads'. They are going to fight each other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

this is gonna be some fight

In no way did he give as good as he got in that exchange, when he managed to get a word in they were terrible comebacks.

Being in someone’s head doesn’t mean they’re afraid or intimidated (and I don’t think Mendes is either of those things). I’ve already listed the signs that McGregor is in his head, we just don’t know what effect it’ll have.

I’d wait until you see his demeanor when they come face to face over and over again this week before you make that sort of declaration. Gabrandt isn’t even fighting McGregor and he was getting wound up just sitting across from him when he was silent.

Come on. Your reading into everything besides Chad's current demeanor. He's ready to go and talking some minor trash to hype the fight. Yes things will definitely kick off when they face off at weigh ins but there's nothing to suggest Chad is flustered, wound up, crumbling or anything else.

Fight night Chad will be as ready as ever and will be Conor's toughest challenge to date. Whether Conor will make it look easy, we will see.

People talk about Conor because that is the money fight, everyone wants a piece of him for $$$$, especially guys whose specialties are his supposed weakness (wrestling). That is the extent of it, it is getting tiring listening to the "hes in his head stuff" based on a guy hyping a fight on an embedded show, he mentioned the guy hes going to fight in 3 days? no way.

My first point was that it’s very possible that all of this talk is their poor attempt to hype the fight but thanks for telling me again.

If you’re tired of it maybe it would be good for you to deal with the other points I made aside from the embedded talk?
    As for the bolded part, are you seriously trying to compare Mendes v McGregor to Rory v Robbie? Do i even need to waste time on how different those situations are?

How about comparing the other part then, how Conor is talking about Mendes. Conor has gone out of his way to say it’s not personal whereas Mendes and his team have done the opposite.

When he managed to get a word in??? Here is the transcript encase your memory is a bit blurred http://www.the42.ie/mcgregor-mendes-balls-forehead-1738622-Oct2014/

Mendes wasn't trying to give "good comebacks" he was pointing out that McGregor hasn't been tested in a certain area of the sport, McGregor said balls and then obviously Mendes Is going to have to say something back but as you can see Mendes was very calm and very cool, If anything Conor just came across as both Ignorant and Arrogant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement