Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I keep saying it, these NCAA wrestler guys have been competing at a high level for practically their whole lives. They are completely different beasts mentally than the average MMA fighter. They have heard all the trash talk before they even started in MMA and while they can't ignore it like it wasn't said (and have to acknowledge it in interviews, etc), you very rarely see any of the former NCAA wrestlers let it affect them during the fight. Mendes will go in there with a game plan and will have the discipline to stick to it regardless of what McGregor has said in the past or says during the fight. I would be shocked if McGregor gets anywhere near the same mental edge over Mendes that he got over Poirier or Brandao.

Daniel Cormier, who competed in wrestling to a far higher level than Mendes, has stated that he let his rivalry with Jones get to him in their title fight. I think wrestlers are built up at times to be some mystical creatures at times (partially because they believe it themselves).

I’d fully agree that I don’t think it’ll get to the Poirier or Brandao level but he only needs to make one rash move and the fight is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Foxtrol wrote: »
    My first point was that it’s very possible that all of this talk is their poor attempt to hype the fight but thanks for telling me again.

If you’re tired of it maybe it would be good for you to deal with the other points I made aside from the embedded talk?

I already addressed the part beside the embedded talk. He wants that money fight and it is the against the golden boy of the company who he (and a lot of people) believe he matches up really well with. Why wouldn't he want to fight him?
    How about comparing the other part then, how Conor is talking about Mendes. Conor has gone out of his way to say it’s not personal whereas Mendes and his team have done the opposite.

Teams in different approach to embedded shocker. That is about the extent of it, Conors "they're all the same" is part of his stick, he isn't suddenly going to go "Well you know lads, 2 weeks to train for one of the best wrestlers in the division has made this a different fight altogether".

When he managed to get a word in??? Here is the transcript encase your memory is a bit blurred http://www.the42.ie/mcgregor-mendes-balls-forehead-1738622-Oct2014/

Mendes wasn't trying to give "good comebacks" he was pointing out that McGregor hasn't been tested in a certain area of the sport, McGregor said balls and then obviously Mendes Is going to have to say something back but as you can see Mendes was very calm and very cool, If anything Conor just came across as both Ignorant and Arrogant.

Chad repeats a comment that Conor has heard from every direction since he’s joined the UFC and it hasn’t fazed him at any point.

Conor says the balls comment about Chad and 10 months later Chad still gets emotional when it gets brought up (clearly came across annoyed and lost for words when it was brought up on the media conference call last week and said how disrespected he feels)

Yeah, that sure sounds equal…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Chad repeats a comment that Conor has heard from every direction since he’s joined the UFC and it hasn’t fazed him at any point.

Conor says the balls comment about Chad and 10 months later Chad still gets emotional when it gets brought up (clearly came across annoyed and lost for words when it was brought up on the media conference call last week and said how disrespected he feels)

Yeah, that sure sounds equal…

Again...I will say this again...Chad was not trying to give a "good comeback" read that section of my last post. You will then realise that this Isn't about how funny a comment Conor made was, compared to one that Mendes made.

Mendes Is not rattled or emotional about a stupid comment, I'm not wasting anymore time discussing this with you we will see on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Daniel Cormier, who competed in wrestling to a far higher level than Mendes, has stated that he let his rivalry with Jones get to him in their title fight. I think wrestlers are built up at times to be some mystical creatures at times (partially because they believe it themselves).

Both Cormier and Mendes finished 2nd in the NCAA National Championships in their respective weight divisions. Yes, Cormier went on to move from Folkstyle into Freestyle wrestling and competed in the Olympics, World Championships, Pan Ams, etc - That is true.

My point was that these guys have been competing since they were kids in high pressure wrestling competition and have always had to deal with verbal and other forms of intimidation.

In fairness to Cormier, Jones came from that background too (wrestling from a very early age, very accomplished high school wrestler), only difference is he didn't go to college due to personal circumstances and went into MMA earlier than he otherwise would have. If anyone was going to get to Cormier, it was Jones and to be fair there was some outrageous stuff going on between the 2 of them such as the brawl at the press conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Mendes will be right in his face from the start like the aldo fight

He done a great job of stopping aldo this way.

Again...I will say this again...Chad was not trying to give a "good comeback" read that section of my last post. You will then realise that this Isn't about how funny a comment Conor made was, compared to one that Mendes made.

Mendes Is not rattled or emotional about a stupid comment, I'm not wasting anymore time discussing this with you we will see on Saturday.

I've heard chad speak about the balls comment 3 times, yes it's fair to say it bothered him. will it have that much of an affect on his performance, doubt it.

I’m not sure how you’re scoring the interview but I’m basing mine on how much it affected the other and there was no ‘giving as good as he got’ for Mendes in that regard. Conor looked relaxed during it and has never mentioned that interview again while Mendes looked flustered and has talked about it numerous times since.

That’s great, as you clearly haven’t read or listened to Mendes comment about the interview so there’s no point in discussing it with you. If you want to educate yourself maybe listen to the media call and specifically the question posed by Ariel Helwani (in typical stirring fashion) as to why the balls comment seemed to affect him so much seeing as he would have presumed he’d have had short jokes made about him all his life.

Both Cormier and Mendes finished 2nd in the NCAA National Championships in their respective weight divisions. Yes, Cormier went on to move from Folkstyle into Freestyle wrestling and competed in the Olympics, World Championships, Pan Ams, etc - That is true.

My point was that these guys have been competing since they were kids in high pressure wrestling competition and have always had to deal with verbal and other forms of intimidation.

In fairness to Cormier, Jones came from that background too (wrestling from a very early age, very accomplished high school wrestler), only difference is he didn't go to college due to personal circumstances and went into MMA earlier than he otherwise would have. If anyone was going to get to Cormier, it was Jones and to be fair there was some outrageous stuff going on between the 2 of them such as the brawl at the press conference.

I agree that generally they’d be used to handling pressure but it doesn’t make them immune from having that person that gets under their skin and throws them off their game (DC and Jones). I’ve never heard Mendes say a negative thing about another fighter, even with Aldo pushing him before their fight they’re now twitter BFFs. Mendes hasn’t even been in the same room as McGregor yet and he’s repeatedly said how much he dislikes him and how it’s personal so I just can’t write off McGregor possibly being his Jones.

It’s going to be an interesting and fun week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ye all in each other's heads haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I’m not sure how you’re scoring the interview but I’m basing mine on how much it affected the other and there was no ‘giving as good as he got’ for Mendes in that regard. Conor looked relaxed during it and has never mentioned that interview again while Mendes looked flustered and has talked about it numerous times since.

That’s great, as you clearly haven’t read or listened to Mendes comment about the interview so there’s no point in discussing it with you. If you want to educate yourself maybe listen to the media call and specifically the question posed by Ariel Helwani (in typical stirring fashion) as to why the balls comment seemed to affect him so much seeing as he would have presumed he’d have had short jokes made about him all his life.

I didn't see the Helwani thing but I did see the original interview. i'd say it pissed off Mendes so much as McGregor was in the studio and Mendes on the phone so when the studio cracked up laughing there was no comeback for Mendes, he just had to sit there and listen to everyone laugh at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I didn't see the Helwani thing but I did see the original interview. i'd say it pissed off Mendes so much as McGregor was in the studio and Mendes on the phone so when the studio cracked up laughing there was no comeback for Mendes, he just had to sit there and listen to everyone laugh at him.

spot on. McGregor was there and could have the crowd on his side and could feed off that, whereas Mendes was on Skype. Not much Mendes could've done. Tough situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Here's the clip for anyone who hasn't seen it:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i'd say it was the same for Aldo alot of the time as the crowd would have been laughing/cheering before Aldo's translator would have even started talking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 kearnst2

Anyone know of anywhere that will be showing this in Dublin city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

kearnst2 wrote: »

Nowhere its too late in the morning. just watch it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

kearnst2 wrote: »

All the info in here, a few places are showing it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057454984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Think sin nightclub are showing it as well. Saw an event on fb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

When I seen Conor playing football during Embedded all I could think was "please don't do a Rory McIlroy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

When I seen Conor playing football during Embedded all I could think was "please don't do a Rory McIlroy"

What? Ride a famous tennis player, ditch her, win a few tournaments then not be able to decide who to represent in the olympics.....and grow a stupid haircut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

scudzilla wrote: »
    What? Ride a famous tennis player, ditch her, win a few tournaments then not be able to decide who to represent in the olympics.....and grow a stupid haircut

or look like the guitarist neil schon with a melted face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sounds good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

Who said he was riding. They weren't married after all. Cant be making assumptions like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

'they cant play basketball like i can'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Think I heard a few "you'll never beat the Irish" chants on the UFC's Snapchat story of Chad's open workout today. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Mcgregor is on periscope now doing a live training session....so much hate in the comments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Faber is actually a little bit complimentary of Conor in this interview before the Chad fight was announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

cloudatlas wrote: »

Faber is actually a little bit complimentary of Conor in this interview before the Chad fight was announced.

He's just honest more than complimentary, Conor is very talented and Faber isn't going to dispute that. I'd say he still feels the same way now even If he detests him a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

cloudatlas wrote: »

This is why i dont understand Schaub how can he say Conor would beat Aldo yet is petrified of Mendes? Idiot.

• Advertisement

McGregor's open workout from earlier:

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aG2MuzI3OTU0N3wzNjE4NzUyMuQQbmGLwCprTDIy05W0zRRweY0oCdbj76thV8gweYhi

Good crowd of Irish there already. :)

There seems to be a case of 'where's Conor's missing water' going on during the session too. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

A really nice breakdown of Conor's technique
    He's a tad bit annoying but a really good analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Jasus that periscope is a sack of shyte! Can't see how long it is, skip and it always buffers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

cloudatlas wrote:

He's talking about a fight conor lost when he was 18 or so.

You can't compare 18yr old conor with 26yr old conor no more than any other fighter.

Clutching at straws me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, Faber loses all credibility saying Conor gives up easy. Finishing AND WINNING a fight with a torn ACL is the opposite of giving up.

Anyway, here is Conor commenting on Aldo Mendez 2

sheehy83 wrote: »

Great video. Conor sounds like someone you'd hear shouting on Hill 16 for most of that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭parc

The reptiles comment. Just class :D

DC and Florian both went for Mendes with their picks on UFC Tonight.

Had a heavily Irish crowd behind them that pretty much didn't stop shouting for the whole show aside from when Mendes was on, which is a bit surprising. Wonder what they were offered to keep quiet... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Rory is a little too softly spoken to make that Chuck mohawk work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Lads, what time around will the fight start? It might be mentioned on the thread but couldn't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

5-5.30am i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That Viewing Details thread should be a forum announcement at this stage and every second post on every thread :pac:

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    5-5.30am i believe

damnnnnn that's late given that the show kicks off from 9pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

yep its a killer.

no easy way of watching it.

Staying in a hotel that night, not sure the missus would appreciate me trying to stream it at 5am in the hotel room...

:cool: need a plan b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

jon1981 wrote: »
    Staying in a hotel that night, not sure the missus would appreciate me trying to stream it at 5am in the hotel room...

:cool: need a plan b

Stream in the hotel bar

5am... I doubt the hotel will be showing it or even have the bar open at that hour. I guess I could nip down with the laptop as you suggest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement