Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

im a bit wary of streaming it. would you be confident of getting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

yeah, it's risky. are there other options? I believe only BT sports are showing it and you need a package for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

There will be plenty of streams available I'd say, HD unlikely but watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

UPC.TV has a reliable, high quality stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

jon1981 wrote: »
    damnnnnn that's late given that the show kicks off from 9pm.

I'm confused, BT are advertising the televised prelims for 1am with the online prelims starting at 12:

http://m.uk.ufc.com/event/UFC189

Not sure where you're getting 9pm from?

i think ill try find a stream and if theres none ill just pay the 17.99 on ufc.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

He's a gas man, he cracked me up with this comment here about Arnold Shwarzenegger :)

'I seen his story, Arnie arrived in America butt naked with only 3 words of English- I'l be back' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Both lads coming across really well in the run up to this fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I'm confused, BT are advertising the televised prelims for 1am with the online prelims starting at 12:

http://m.uk.ufc.com/event/UFC189

Not sure where you're getting 9pm from?

bt coverage starts at midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Aldo and Mendes paly pals now, tweeting eachother.

When men are close to death they bunch together:)

Could listen to him all day!

• Advertisement

Have to say, I'm dead nervous about this one because of all the trash talk McGregor has been dishing out... he needs to come through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Have to say, I'm dead nervous about this one because of all the trash talk McGregor has been dishing out... he needs to come through.

That's all I can think about, I said It here the other day but got eaten alive for It.

What will McGregor do If he loses after everything he's said.

The trash talking is entertaining and I respect the guy for doing it and the confidence he portrays but as an Irish fan and spectator you gotta be nervous and cringe at the potential consequences of losing...

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

If Conor loses he will look like a complete tool - any trash talk for future fights will be shot down fairly fast as well.

Thats it, nobody will take him serious... anyway I don't want to rain on the mcgregor parade.

Everyone loses, it is inevitable that he will eventually lose, and when he does i'm sure he will bounce back. The looking like a fool and nobody will take him serious comments, you's do realise this is the fight game yeah?

I dont think much will change, he'll continue to trash talk to get into fighters heads and promote his fights. He just won't be able to say he's no1 etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

That's all I can think about, I said It here the other day but got eaten alive for It.

He will just have to regroup, keep improving and return to work his way back into contention. Even if he loses, while not ideal by any means, he still has a great chance of getting a title shot in 2-3 fights time. His charisma sells events and the UFC will want him still headlining events whether he wins, loses, or draws. A loss here is by no means the end of big fight opportunities for McGregor.

Look at Chael Sonnen as an example. He became a top draw for UFC due to the charisma he showed in the build up to his first fight with Anderson Silva and with his performance in the fight. He then went on to serve a year long suspension for a positive drugs test, which didn't stop him getting a rematch with Silva (3rd fight after returning from his ban) which he lost after dishing out a lot of trash talk (he was the real champ and Silva was a fraud, etc). After that, he got a title fight against Jones straight away without having to compete in the Light Heavyweight Division. Unfortunately for Sonnen, age was not on his side and the whole TRT thing blew up which meant he ultimately had to retire. McGregor has neither of those problems to worry about now.

Hopefully this won't arise anyway. I really can't see any outcome other than a KO for McGregor. For me, the reach advantage Conor has when combined with his ability to control distance, just seems too much for Mendes to overcome when you consider that Mendes' fighting style revolves around getting in close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Chael sonnen talked his way into 3 championship fights, actually don't think a loss affects Conor tbh. I think a loss means main eventing Dublin at LW a win gets him shot a LW title

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote: »
    Everyone loses, it is inevitable that he will eventually lose, and when he does i'm sure he will bounce back. The looking like a fool and nobody will take him serious comments, you's do realise this is the fight game yeah?

No I understand that, everybody loses. But not everybody talks like McGregor talks. He's talked his way to the top, he's main eventing Vegas. He's made some crazy claims, he's going to beat everyrone he's pvp no.1 everyone is afraid of him etc etc.

He's talked his way to where he's at and he's young and In his prime, If he loses at his first real hurdle...does that mean Dana was wrong to push him so high so fast? etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

lol at (was it sonnen?) tweeting mendes mobile number :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

lol at (was it sonnen?) tweeting mendes mobile number :)
    Apparently Mendes has said that Sonnen is susceptible to sleepwalking and he tweeted it in his sleep. Think I saw that on one of the Embedded episodes.

Chael not even in the UFC and yet his name is out there mixed in the biggest fight of the year. Tweeting Mendes number saying Conor 27lbs over weight.

In words of Conor "capitalize"

No I understand that, everybody loses. But not everybody talks like McGregor talks. He's talked his way to the top, he's main eventing Vegas. He's made some crazy claims, he's going to beat everyrone he's pvp no.1 everyone is afraid of him etc etc.

He's talked his way to where he's at and he's young and In his prime, If he loses at his first real hurdle...does that mean Dana was wrong to push him so high so fast? etc etc.

But even if he loses, they give him a someone like Swanson or Lamas next and he TKO's them, that money train is back on track. There are a handful of deluded people who do believe all of his claims and think hes never going to lose, but i think most people know it is going to happen evetnually, it is how he deals with that, which i believe he will deal with well and get people believing the hype again.
    Apparently Mendes has said that Sonnen is susceptible to sleepwalking and he tweeted it in his sleep. Think I saw that on one of the Embedded episodes.

Chael said on his podcast that Chad was just being nice, there was no sleep walking involved that time just Chael trolling!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

He'll do the same thing as every other fighter that has given large and then lost......carry on fighting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Pretty much all the greats have lost.

Ali, Silva, GSP, Tyson, Rocky (not the real one)

Its not just winning that makes a champion. Winning can be the easy part, loosing and coming back is what really makes them great. Getting back up.

Ok maybe people have picked me up wrong, I understand everybody loses, even the greats, but this Is the wrong time and wrong place for McGregor to get beat, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ok maybe people have picked me up wrong, I understand everybody loses, even the greats, but this Is the wrong time and wrong place for McGregor to get beat, that's all.

The wrong time and place for Conor to lose was against Brandao. This won't be his last ppv main event, even if he loses.

Get paid handsomely and then move up to lightweight. He is talking like this to sell fights in fairness and it has worked, he is one of the biggest attractions in the UFC at the moment. Conors action on the mic puts bums on seats and makes him money. I don't think Conor is being fake but I think he is over exaggerating his personality to sell PPVS.

He is obviously joking with the whole G.O.A.T. on the bottle and stuff, does anyone actually believe that Conor thinks he is the GOAT?

Get paid handsomely and then move up to lightweight. He is talking like this to sell fights in fairness and it has worked, he is one of the biggest attractions in the UFC at the moment. Conors action on the mic puts bums on seats and makes him money. I don't think Conor is being fake but I think he is over exaggerating his personality to sell PPVS.

He is obviously joking with the whole G.O.A.T. on the bottle and stuff, does anyone actually believe that Conor thinks he is the GOAT?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Fair enough. I think a lot of his talking is just to sell fights and make as much money as possible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

New to MMA, can I ask what the whole GOAT thing is about? :o

Myrddin wrote: »

Greatest Of All Time.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Greatest of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

goat_2D00_list_2D00_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

His bird writes the stuff on his bottles I think, but yes obviously he believes it.

And for people saying he has to win. No he doesn't. Chael lost loads of times and came back talking more sh!t then before.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    His bird writes the stuff on his bottles I think, but yes obviously he believes it.

And for people saying he has to win. No he doesn't. Chael lost loads of times and came back talking more sh!t then before.

He does his job better than anyone else in the business to be honest. Conors job is not only to fight but promote the organization and the fights and he is better at that than anyone at the moment. He has always said he is gracious in defeat and in victory, so if he loses I can see him admitting that the better man won on the night. He will always talk smack before a fight even after he loses because that sells PPVs and makes him that there $$.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

peteeeed wrote: »
    bt coverage starts at midnight

The card starts at 1am on BT, Fight Pass prelims are at 12am but they're never shown on BT.

There is a Beyond the Octagon at 12am but its prob a repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Rory is a little too softly spoken to make that Chuck mohawk work

I love that about him.

Doesn't look like a fighter, doesn't sound like a fighter.
    Just a cold calculating serial killer vibe off him.

• Advertisement

I believe the city council are running hourly trash collections to the Mac Mansion!! Boom! :D

(am i too late?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Good analysis

Mendes will have him down at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just done my accumulator; Pendred, Brown, Nelson, Bermudez, MacDonald and McGregor.

Tenner returns 240 yoyos.

A lot of fights I wouldn't normally bet on but it's a special occasion.

Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

xtal191 wrote: »

Such a great video. The slo-mo moves with Hardy's explanation makes you really appreciate the little movements and setups that you might miss at full speed. My God this is gonna be some fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

I see Rory is continuing to look like a serial killer in the newest embedded

Hayezer wrote: »
    I see Rory is continuing to look like a serial killer in the newest embedded

I thought rory was going to tear the division in half a while ago, when he slammed Diaz around for three rounds. But his long jab and karate style has since looked ineffective against lawlor.

I jus think if rory was half as good as he thought he was, he'd be unreal!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Just got upgraded!! #AndNew ðŸ˜

Advertisement