Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

The fact that there's so much truth to It makes It so much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Meh, it had it's moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Still laughing at the reply to this one from that MixedMartialArts lad. Haha.
    1-vert.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Lower body water volume = lower blood volume = increase in resting heart rate. It's a big strain on your heart and other organs. Hence why you see guys like Barao and Gastelum collapsing. I remember Aldo saying he didnt feel comfortable walking up the stairs during a weight cut because he felt his heart pounding.

They spend as little time as possible but the whole dehydration process probably goes on for about 1-2 days, not the mention starving yourself for the whole week.

Joe Schilling said on rogan's podcast that he had to be helped up the stairs to the scale once because he was so weak from the cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Suppose Team RyanO used to be called SBG Northside if he wanted to play the OG card :)

Great response none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

McGregor needs to drop 27lbs before the weigh in ......yikes that a massive drop.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/conor-mcgregor-has-to-lose-27lbs-in-eight-days-to-make-weight-for-title-fight-31358247.html

I think he’s struggling to make this weight at the moment. I can see him moving up to 155lbs once he fights aldo. He wanted to fight at 155 for this fight but they gave him Mendes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I have a spare ticket for the fight now if anyone knows anyone travelling without a ticket that might be interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

GiftofGab wrote: »
    McGregor needs to drop 27lbs before the weigh in ......yikes that a massive drop.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/conor-mcgregor-has-to-lose-27lbs-in-eight-days-to-make-weight-for-title-fight-31358247.html

I think he’s struggling to make this weight at the moment. I can see him moving up to 155lbs once he fights aldo. He wanted to fight at 155 for this fight but they gave him Mendes instead.

Wow that's some weight to have to drop.

Let's hope he recovers to his top level for the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Wow that's some weight to have to drop.

Let's hope he recovers to his top level for the fight.

According to John Kavanagh in the Journal this morning (http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-interview-vegas-6-july-2201914-Jul2015/), Conor is lighter now than he was at this point in the lead up to the Siver fight.

In theory, you would have to think that's a good thing, assuming that he will have less water weight to cut and therefore will go through less of the effects of dehydration.

Does anyone know if SBG have someone who supervises their cuts? I know there's a few guys making their trade on being experts at fighter weight cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He walks around at about 165 so I'd say the talk of him being 172 so close to a fight is way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He walks around at about 165 so I'd say the talk of him being 172 so close to a fight is way off.

I don't think 165 is right. I thought it was 180 from what a lot of people said before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

If anyone else has a fightclub pass and they are not travelling I would gladly take the weigh in tickets :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ibrahimovic

To everyone travelling to Vegas for the fight, i'm jealous as ****!! Have an amazing time and do us proud, blow the roof off the place!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Beersmith wrote: »
    I don't think 165 is right. I thought it was 180 from what a lot of people said before.

I met him in Vegas last October and that's what he said he weighed at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Hahahaha nearly crying laughing at this! I'm assuming this guy isn't real, I can't access Twitter in work:(

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/mma-bangwagon-conor-mcgregor-chad-mendes/30077

That is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wasn't sure where to post this, but as he talks about his upcoming fight I thought I'd put it here. Really good interview with Neil Seery IMO:

http://www.the42.ie/neil-seery-interview-ufc-189-2199927-Jul2015/

The 42 get some cracking UFC stuff on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Alicano

My favouite part of that last embedded. The fireworks..camera cuts to Gunnar..Conor "Icelandic's don't give a fcuk".
    Hilarious how cool they all were in contrast to that love boat scene :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I did have a laugh at that all right.

In fairness it's a bit different for the yanks on that day than the Paddies.

I liked the bit on the boat too, it was like something from the OC :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Pardon my ignorance here lads, honest question - I get the concept of weigh ins....get your weight down to the class that you are fighting in so that both are the same. What happens after weigh in? Is it that the guys have the next day to rehydrate and eat as much as they can (healthy of course) to bring them back up in terms of weight and to get energy levels back? Is there any limit to what weight you can put back on between weight in and the fight itself?

Yeah thats exactly it. No limit on what they can weigh after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

lol

minnie mendes

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

Lads anyone know how much the signed event posters are usually ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Lads anyone know how much the signed event posters are usually ?

Trying to think, but I think posters for UFC 93 were €100. Could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

lol

minnie mendes

I'll be saving that for after Mendes beats him :pac:

I'll be saving that for after Mendes beats him :pac:

not a hope

i honestly think , conor knows mendes is going to constantly go for the double leg or try hump him against the cage , he'll be too fast , he'll see it comming a mile off

mcgregor by tko in the 4th min of the 3rd round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I always think mcgregors opponents look far bulkier than him in the embedded/countdown shows, then he gets in and seems to hit far harder than any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Pardon my ignorance here lads, honest question - I get the concept of weigh ins....get your weight down to the class that you are fighting in so that both are the same. What happens after weigh in? Is it that the guys have the next day to rehydrate and eat as much as they can (healthy of course) to bring them back up in terms of weight and to get energy levels back? Is there any limit to what weight you can put back on between weight in and the fight itself?

No limit at all on what you can put back on, it ws rumoured that Brock Lesner had to cut to get down to the 265lb HW limit, yet the next day at the fight he was supposedly touching 300lbs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

not a hope

i honestly think , conor knows mendes is going to constantly go for the double leg or try hump him against the cage , he'll be too fast , he'll see it comming a mile off

mcgregor by tko in the 4th min of the 3rd round

seeing it coming and being able to stop it is 2 different things

same goes for Mendes and McGregor's strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Full camp vs full camp I'd probably back Mendes 6 or 7 times out of 10, on short notice it could be a toss up. Gun to head I'd still say Mendes but Conor keeps surprising me, I just want to see a cracking fight.

Edit - Who am I kidding, I'll be gutted if Conor doesn't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

scudzilla wrote: »
    No limit at all on what you can put back on, it ws rumoured that Brock Lesner had to cut to get down to the 265lb HW limit, yet the next day at the fight he was supposedly touching 300lbs!!

No way was he 300lbs in the UFC.

When he was jacked up in his initial WWE run maybe, but he was probably 280 or so on fight night in the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Sorry be bringing up the weight cut issue but talks conor weighed 172 couple days ago. He doing loads of media and traveling Canada New York and Vegas. I have no doubt he will weigh 145 bang on. Surely cutting 27lb practically 2st needs his full time attention to do right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

DFW confirmed the gate is currently at 7.1 mil beating the US gate record of 6.9. It was at 6.8 but jumped 300k when mendez replaced aldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

sheehy83 wrote: »
    DFW confirmed the gate is currently at 7.1 mil beating the US gate record of 6.9. It was at 6.8 but jumped 300k when mendez replaced aldo.

Amazing, McGregor is officially the biggest draw int he UFC.

Imagine mcgregor aldo! Might have been the best thing foe the ufc that aldo pulled out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

sheehy83 wrote: »

Can somebody explain how those gate numbers works please? Sure the gate was already set when the tickets were sold out.

I presumed it would be the PPV numbers that would be variable right upto the night of the fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

dave1982 wrote: »
    Sorry be bringing up the weight cut issue but talks conor weighed 172 couple days ago. He doing loads of media and traveling Canada New York and Vegas. I have no doubt he will weigh 145 bang on. Surely cutting 27lb practically 2st needs his full time attention to do right

Thats Chael just spouting rubbish. There's no way McGregor has to drop that much weight.

Dont get me wrong, im sure his cut isnt easy, but 2 stone. No, i dont buy that for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Hazys wrote: »
    Can somebody explain how those gate numbers works please? Sure the gate was already set when the tickets were sold out.

I presumed it would be the PPV numbers that would be variable right upto the night of the fight?

UFC is fluid with their pricing. Tickets started at a higher level than most events and when they saw how high demand was at that price they ramped up the price of tickets when blocks were opened to public sale. I presume any returns they’ve received now have gone back up at a rate than what they were originally sold at to make up the latest increase. Dana also mentioned that they’ve put in bleachers but I’ve no idea where they could fit them in but if they’ve managed to squeeze in 100 more people at near floor level it would be a big chunk of the increase.

As this is a very non-Irish way of selling tickets so people will moan about it being money grabbing but Americans are pretty used to it for a lot of events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Sorry in advance if this has already been answered, but what time will the fight actually start Irish time? Thanks

ken76 wrote: »
    Sorry in advance if this has already been answered, but what time will the fight actually start Irish time? Thanks

First thread in the forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Found this really interesting. He talks about a lot of technical stuff and really goes into some in depth analysis.

Interest to hear from people on here with actually MMA experience, or similar, what they make of it.

mendes us too emotionally invested in this fight

every embedded he talks about conor

even in the ring after aldo defeat he talks mcgregor etc

he might come in all ready to throw etc and be picked apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

This pic was put on his Twitter 13 hours ago.

He looks thin and that was Monday night (U.S. time).

He'll be even thinner come Fridays weigh in.

I hope he beats Mendes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

This pic was put on his Twitter 13 hours ago.

He looks thin and that was Monday night (U.S. time).

He'll be even thinner come Fridays weigh in.

I hope he beats Mendes.

Look at him episode one of the embedded in Boston

Always looks really skinny fight week.

• Advertisement

when is the next embedded up ?

real slow at uploading these

dying for sat , great card in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

At long last it's here.

On the bus to Dublin now, flight is at 7am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »
    He was probably 172 at some point a while ago, but I don’t think it he was that weight 8 days out. Just from looking at photos. Chael was just being Chael imo.
    Regardless, I think what Darced said is right, anything to distract him from the cut is a positive. He doesn’t need to actively do much to make weight, it’s a mental battle mostly.
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    UFC is fluid with their pricing. Tickets started at a higher level than most events and when they saw how high demand was at that price they ramped up the price of tickets when blocks were opened to public sale. I presume any returns they’ve received now have gone back up at a rate than what they were originally sold at to make up the latest increase. Dana also mentioned that they’ve put in bleachers but I’ve no idea where they could fit them in but if they’ve managed to squeeze in 100 more people at near floor level it would be a big chunk of the increase.

As this is a very non-Irish way of selling tickets so people will moan about it being money grabbing but Americans are pretty used to it for a lot of events.
    I only heard about this dynamic pricing yesterday. But it sounds likes its only the case for the seat marked “premium”. The regular seat are set prices. They might have squeezed a few extra seats in, but for the most part the gate amount is set by the regular ticket price.

His draw power will really be shown with the PPV numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

g.o.a.t on the water bottle

• Advertisement
Advertisement