Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Skerries tomorrow

• 03-07-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Heading up with a friend tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has any tips, whats the best time to get there at, where to park bikes and watch races from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Roads officially close at 9 AM. Some riders still have to qualify due to today's session finishing early, so I imagine those riders will still get out for the required 5 laps to qualify. So racing proper will start later in the morning.
    Plenty of Stands around the 2.9 mile circuit to watch from (just be quick to move when the marshals give the nod between races)

Handy guide for spectators on the Club site

http://www.loughshinnymotorcycleclub.com/skerries-circuit-info/

Admission is €20 which includes a programme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Any big names over for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Get there early, park in a garden or yard, DO NOT leave your bike on the side of the road, there is a good chance it won't be there when you get back, bikes get nicked there almost every year plenty of places to watch, the road out the back is very narrow and not really a great place to watch, the rest is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

thelawman wrote: »
    Get there early, park in a garden or yard, DO NOT leave your bike on the side of the road, there is a good chance it won't be there when you get back, bikes get nicked there almost every year plenty of places to watch, the road out the back is very narrow and not really a great place to watch, the rest is good

Lads there is a very good chance that the races will not run tomorrow, there was a major incident today and its very sad news for road racing I tell you that. My advice would be to watch the twitter/facebook page of the Loughshinny motorcycle club page.

I am not posting details on a public forum but there was a significant event today at skerries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Looks like its going ahead, roads arre closed from 9,00 am and according to twitter and facebook :
    Loughshinny MSC @LoughshinnyMSC · 47m47 minutes ago

Note to riders: Grids will be posted up on the courtesy caravan in the morning.

• Advertisement

Delighted, no bad news overnight so. Id say it will be a messy days racing all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Up here now racing is going ahead as planned

5 laps of practice before any racing starts today due to delays from yesterday

Just to follow on from what I posted yesterday......

Traveling Medic Dr John Hinds "DOC JOHN" passed away from his injuries sustained at the practice at skerries yesterday.....an absolute legend that gave his time and skills to save so many over the last 10 yrs or so. I met him a good few times and even sent him pics for sponsors he asked me for when he seen them on flicker when he was riding the "DOC WORK ORANGE" RC8 medic bike.

Road Racing will never be the same without the iconic DOC JOHN Orange helmet.

RIP Doc.

Great article

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/flying-doctor-how-a-medic-is-helping-to-make-biking-safer-31217208.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Rip doc John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just home having spent the day with the MCI team, my younger brother is the advanced paramedic you'll see on the bike.

I've no photos as such to post, it seemed inappropriate to go snapping photos. I'm only saying this as a witness and not because my brother is part of the team. But on being informed of Doc John's death the team pulled together very, very strong and threw themselves into the day.. Despite their obvious upset they never faltered, never missed a beat.

I really left today with a renewed respect in those lads and ladies, it really was awe inspiring to see them work despite the loss of their friend.

RIP Doc John.. I don't know how they'll replace someone like that.

RIP Doc John

You are the reason a close friend of mine is alive today. A real life hero who will always have a special place in my heart.

To all the medical teams throughout Ireland, I salute your courage and dedication.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RIP Dr John Hinds

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RIP read about this earlier in the info

Thoughts to his family, friends and colleagues

There is no replacing that man, simples. Road racing as dangerous as it is, just got worse with DJ gone.

Went through my archive of photos that I took over the last 3-4 yrs found all my old DJ pics......****in terrible sad seeing them again now he passed. Few of my favs....

qq8mqo.jpg
    Skerries 2012 RC8

23jptgz.jpg
    Wet Armoy 2012

hteiyx.jpg
    Walderstown 2012

296gd2b.jpg
    Ulster Grand Prix 2012

2w2ee1l.jpg
    North West 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

fantastic pics of him, great memories

thelawman wrote: »
    fantastic pics of him, great memories

He actually hated that bike...lol. I was talking to him about it coz I taught it looked so sweet with the medic emblem etc and he said it was such hard work riding it around as it had no slipper clutch....lazy fook!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Many thanks Wonda Boy for posting the pictures of Doctor John , he was so admired and respected .

• Advertisement

robinwing wrote: »
    Many thanks Wonda Boy for posting the pictures of Doctor John , he was so admired and respected .

Indeed he was, the more you read online about the man the more respect and admiration you get for him. He really was an outstanding human being.....only the good die young.

Advertisement