Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Small Garden Ideas

Options
  • 03-07-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I've started on a new project which involves a small fenced area in the garden (say, 5 metres x 5 metres or something like that) which should be a little garden of its own (it's being built as a kind of memorial space for a couple of recently deceased family members). I'm hoping that it'll be the sort of space where one person can go and sit quietly during the day or a small group can gather and chat on a summer's evening. There will be fences around the perimeter and the budget's fairly tight but other than that, I'm open to all suggestions. There needs to be some sort of seating.

So, if some people might like to treat this as a challenge and come back to me with a complete plan for what they would do with this sort of a space, that would be fantastic, but I was just hoping that people could pour together ideas for features, small or big, in the garden.

My DIY skills are minimal but I'm hoping to do this over the summer as a sort of gift to family members. Anyway, looking forward to hearing people's ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Have seen a lot of half decent looking DIY pallet furniture online. Most of these are painted and decorated with cushions, they actually look quite good if they are designed properly.

Keep an eye out for used paving going free on adverts and done deal, you could have patio area with BBQ/garden furniture. Get creative with salvaging things that could be used as containers - Belfast sinks, baths, old wheelbarrows etc

5m2 isn't actually that small, my own garden is that and while you can't kick football. Around, it's certainly a lot easier to maintain than my last huge garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I would have a tree for some shade maybe two in honour of the deceased? The cherry tree variety "Amanagowa" is very neat and has a lovely display of soft pink blooms in April.

Think of a special plant that would be at their best at time of significant anniversary or plants that person was fond of... maybe even humble daffodils. Also have aromatic stuff such as lavender or rosemary... these will bring bees and other insects into area and lend a nice atmosphere.

Work out the shady v sunny areas as the seasons turn and think of these when locating seating. Midwinter sun if sheltered from wind can be lovely to sit out in.

Advertisement