Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on 5 or 10km

Options
  • 03-07-2015 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

hi I am wondering can someone recommend a website/Facebook page where I could see all the local 5 or 10ks coming up.

I have recently started running and wanted to sign myself up for something to give me motivation!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Where are you based?

Usually a few local clubs facebook would be a good place to start, after that there's runireland.ie which will give you a national calendar of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Check out www.parkrun.ie

where are you living? There might be one near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

libelula wrote: »
    Where are you based?

Usually a few local clubs facebook would be a good place to start, after that there's runireland.ie which will give you a national calendar of events.

Thanks, I am based near Killarney. I will look up run Ireland and see what they have

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

Killarney has a 5k Parkrun every Saturday morning. Parkrun is perfect for people new to running. It's very welcoming and there'll be runners and walkers of all ages and abilities. And it's free!

parkrun.ie/killarney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

An_Reathai wrote: »
    Killarney has a 5k Parkrun every Saturday morning. Parkrun is perfect for people new to running. It's very welcoming and there'll be runners and walkers of all ages and abilities. And it's free!

parkrun.ie/killarney

Thanks for that! Does it matter that I can't actually run a 5km? If I walked it would I be looked at! Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Does it matter that I can't actually run a 5km? If I walked it would I be looked at! Sorry!

Most Parkruns will have people walking it or maybe walking a bit/ jogging a bit. If you look at results from last Saturday's Killarney Parkrun, the times ranged from 20 minutes to almost 42 mins.

I know lots of people who started out with the walking / jogging strategy and then over weeks and months, gradually cut out the walking bit!

parkrun.ie/killarney/results/latestresults/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

www.runireland.com lists race all over the country. You can search by distance and location.

+1 on park run. Not been yet, but enough people have recommended it, to convince me it is well worth doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Pecker31 wrote: »
    hi I am wondering can someone recommend a website/Facebook page where I could see all the local 5 or 10ks coming up.

I have recently started running and wanted to sign myself up for something to give me motivation!

Here's the most comprehensive site for Munster and Kerry

http://munsterrunning.blogspot.ie/p/calendar.html?m=1

Here's the most comprehensive site for Munster and Kerry

http://munsterrunning.blogspot.ie/p/calendar.html?m=1

Not necessarily for Kerry.

Everything you need for anything in Kerry and Munster is contained in the Running in Munster site mentioned above, but you should also refer to...

http://stbrendansac.blogspot.ie/p/road-races-in-kerry.html

The Runireland calendar is poor, for example it shows neither the Ballinascarthy 10k or Bere Island 10k in the past 2 nights. It misses loads of the "local" runs and seems to just note the headliners around the country.

The Running in Munster site is excellent, maps and photos of lots of routes, a description etc. But still omits some of the smaller ones in Kerry that the St. Brendan's Page picks up.

Advertisement