Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What Makes You Wanna Give Up?

• 04-07-2015 2:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭

Lads, saw a bike get t boned 10metres in front of me today. I was in a car a few back and saw it all. Bike was lucky, I'd say was only accelerating on impact. A real eye opener for vulnerability as a biker.... Scared the **** outta me. Overriding instinct is to sell up and leave it but I know that's not right.

Question is, have you seen a bad bike impact in front of you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I've been the recipient of several bad impacts over the years and in no way have they put me off, that said, I've never seen a bad one happen to another biker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I love bikes as objects, but I'd never get up on one..

Saw a guy come off when I was 16. Lovely sunny day in the summer. He came blazing up the road in jeans and tshirt. No lid. He looked to misjudge the camber on a bend in the road, flipped off, and went sliding head first with the bike behind him. The top of his head met the kerb at speed, and he didn't move a muscle before the ambulance arrived about 15 minutes later.

I know that's not the average sensible biker, but every time I thought about getting up on a bike the image came back to me. So, not so much 'makes me want to give up' as 'wouldn't let me start'. He didn't deserve what happened, but I can't help thinking he was asking for it. If he survived, I hope he's doing ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Had 2 near misses this summer one of them was pure luck that I did not get seriously injured, it does make you sit up and take note. Knocks the confidence and you start the what if scenarios playing over and over in your head. Especially when you have a very young family you question motorbiking....

But its such a fabulous "hobby" not just for the whole biking experience but the people you meet as a knock on effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I've got pins in my ankle & wrist, a new kneecap & a plate in my collar bone all from offs...

Does it stop me?

Hell no, loves me my sickles :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Have never had an accident, nor ever witnessed one ( have avoided a few possible near misses/accidents by trusting no one though). I have however passed the scene of an accident moments after it happened on my favorite mountain route which is what i think about whenever i feel like taking a risk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I couldn't guess the amount of accidents over had over thirty years biking, worse personal injuries for me had been fractures (with no surgery). Worse accident I had was with a GF back in 1992, riding a Yamaha RD350YPVS and a driver pulled out in front of me ~ we smashed into him, my GF broke her neck ~ the driver f*cked off and was never caught.

I've had a lot of friends killed over the years, thankfully I've only witnessed one of the being killed.

I've wondered a few times about getting rid of the bikes, but I can't. I love riding, I love being a biker.

But, BUT my last buddy getting killed has really, really put manners on me. In fact it was a combination of the last two.. One was before last Christmas, I was mocking my mate about his bike being small (a 600 shadow) and his last words were "F*ck Lenny, its good enough to get me from A to B and not fast enough to get me killed" ~ he was dead less than ten minutes after.. The last one, he was a bike journalist (I'm purposely not naming names because of google searches) and a caliber of rider many times what I am and he was recently killed.

We'd done many charity rides together and he always kidded me "Lenny, NO F*CKING WHEELIES'', safety was everything to him. I've more or less stopped the wheelies and acting the bollox (I'm fifty next year so it was time to stop anyway lol).

Sorry about the long reply. I doubt I'll ever stop riding or lose my love of bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I'd say being scared is a good thing. Every junction, gateway, car, truck, pedestrian, cyclist etc etc has the potential to contribute to your demise so you have to treat each one as if it's out to get you. Over confidence is a contributor to many accidents, if you can catch yourself getting a bit too cocky you have chance. Finding the balance between having a bit of a thrill and enjoying the ride and safety is the key. You don't have to give up, just slow down a bit.

But, yeah, it is a dangerous hobby, pass time, method of commuting.. no doubt about that. I have had 3 incidents where I could have easily become a statistic... I contributed to 2 of them and only luck saved me. Sobering thoughts. Ride safely and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I'm not trying to be clever but I've seen pedestrians run down and I still cross the road. I've passed the scene of a fatal car accident and I still drive. Thankfully I've never seen a bike accident. I've seen cyclists hit too and after damaging myself in a bad-ish cycling accident myself I was put off biking and swore I'd never get a motorcycle. Few months later I was back on two wheels and now I have a motorcycle.
    Nothing makes me want to give up. I love bikes, I'm addicted.
    Life has a 0% survival rate anyway. Best I can do is try to stack the odds in my favour by riding safe and wearing good gear and go enjoy life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Probably ruffle a few feathers, but i grew up on jacket ,jeans Doc's...its all most could afford back then, it was years before i could afford a pair of Lewis boots and jeans...had a few off's over the years but nothing broken (touches head :P) ..the offs were never my fault and tbh the worst one i had was a car on the wrong side of the road, i skidded sideways (speedway style) and ended up sitting on the bonnet with me left leg jammed between the bumper and my bike, sounds bizzare i know..luckly the car was a Saab with thise huge rubber bumpers, GF got flung off and broke her collarbone...:rolleyes:..:D.....I was wearing the jeans and doc's as we were on the way home from seeing The Clash..ironic....
    IMO..and only my opinion..theres too much emphasis on ATGATT, I believe it makes some riders think theyre indistructable maybe and might lead them to not be as careful as they should...the same with GO-Pro's...how many crashes have we seen with these yokes,people trying too hard to impress...
    I do think 100% of riding a bike from A to B incident free can be luck..but i dont think that the above should make you feel safer....

Had mates killed and seriously injured too..

sorry ,that sounds like i'm a hit-man....

Probably ruffle a few feathers, but i grew up on jacket ,jeans Doc's...its all most could afford back then, it was years before i could afford a pair of Lewis boots and jeans...had a few off's over the years but nothing broken (touches head :P) ..the offs were never my fault and tbh the worst one i had was a car on the wrong side of the road, i skidded sideways (speedway style) and ended up sitting on the bonnet with me left leg jammed between the bumper and my bike, sounds bizzare i know..luckly the car was a Saab with thise huge rubber bumpers, GF got flung off and broke her collarbone...:rolleyes:..:D.....I was wearing the jeans and doc's as we were on the way home from seeing The Clash..ironic....
    IMO..and only my opinion..theres too much emphasis on ATGATT, I believe it makes some riders think theyre indistructable maybe and might lead them to not be as careful as they should...the same with GO-Pro's...how many crashes have we seen with these yokes,people trying too hard to impress...
    I do think 100% of riding a bike from A to B incident free can be luck..but i dont think that the above should make you feel safer....

More or less the same here, and its only in recent times that I'm ATGATT when I can.. But it doesn't faze me if I can't, for example going to work on Friday and Saturday nights I'll wear jeans.

• Advertisement

More or less the same here, and its only in recent times that I'm ATGATT when I can.. But it doesn't faze me if I can't, for example going to work on Friday and Saturday nights I'll wear jeans.

Its these do-gooders that pi$$ me off, think theyre doing you a favour telling you that "those Levi's wont save yer skin".....fcuk off and MYOB...and stop blowing yer cigarette smoke in my direction....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

I came on a friend who was killed back in 1979. Had been speaking to him twenty minutes earlier. I went to get something to eat otherwise we would have been travelling together. My pillion had thought of taking off with him. Car did a U-Turn in front of him and he was killed instantly. He was only seventeen. Still, I rationalised that I had been aware of the risk beforehand in driving a bike and that it hadn't changed afterwards so I still kept going. It was a horrible feeling though for quite a while. Another classmate met a bus head-on between Cork and Cobh and died aged 23. Ironically, it was the cold weather in 1982 that made me stop ( for a while anyway) having travelled a 50 mile trip home on a dodgy suzuki triple in minus several degrees with bad gear, it died next to a neighbour's house. I got a lift home in a warm car and left the bike there until it was sold. Anyhow in response to OP, I've seen horrible things but it still doesn't put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

What's ATGATT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Its these do-gooders that pi$$ me off, think theyre doing you a favour telling you that "those Levi's wont save yer skin".....fcuk off and MYOB...and stop blowing yer cigarette smoke in my direction....:rolleyes:

You might change your mind if you had seen the woman I witnessed coming off her moped at slow speed on the Rathgar Rd a few years back (2008 IIRC)..

Helmet, high heels and a skimpy silk dress.. She wont be showing her legs again unless she could afford major surgery.

I always go out with boots etc regardless of the distance. You don't want to be saying "If only".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Volovo wrote: »
    What's ATGATT?

All the gear, all the time..

dubscottie wrote: »
    You might change your mind if you had seen the woman I witnessed coming off her moped at slow speed on the Rathgar Rd a few years back (2008 IIRC)..

Helmet, high heels and a skimpy silk dress.. She wont be showing her legs again unless she could afford major surgery.

I always go out with boots etc regardless of the distance. You don't want to be saying "If only".

Sorry pal, nothing or no-one would change my mind..i've seen terrible things over my years, cars,pedestrians, animals and mates on bikes being creamed in front of me...picked up a young lad (16) that had been catapulted from his bicycle at Bray many years ago, he was 50 feet from his bike, he died before we got help....no phones back then.., the driver didnt stop, never caught...
    I wear what i feel comfortable in, if i'm on my classic i'll wear light gear...if i'm on the sports bike its the one piece race leathers every time...i'm not daft !!!

dubscottie wrote: »

We don't ever want to see Max Headroom wearing high heels and a skimpy silk dress on a bike or not, no fooking way :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Sold my bike last year telling myself it was to get a few quid in for my upcoming wedding but in reality i felt i needed to lay off. I had a few close calls from idiot drivers in cars pulling out in front of me. I missed one guy by inches when he pulled out to the right as i was overtaking him on the n81 out of blessington one sumday headimg to mee the lads off here for a spin.

I remember coming home after a spin and seeing my kids and thinking what are you doing man and that kind of did it for me.

Im back on a bike now but im riding trials and dirt bikes, just as dangerous but its all you and no car gonna pull out and cream me. To be honest im actually having the most craic iv ever had on a bike the last few months, i have fallen in love with it all over again and my skill level has definitely improved big time. I find myself looking at bikes again on done deal but i have to remind myself why i stopped and stick by my decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

The only time I'm in full gear is in the cold winter months when I'll wear my full textiles but that's less about "protection" and more about staying dry and warm.
    Everyday gear is helmet (obviously), gloves and leather jacket with jeans and TCX casual bike boots, sometimes I'll just wear runners.

I've had 2 bad offs and countless near-misses. I have had countless friends involved in crashes and some who have died and it doesn't put me off bikes. I love bikes more than I am afraid of the risks.

We don't ever want to see Max Headroom wearing high heels and a skimpy silk dress on a bike or not, no fooking way :o

:D:D:D......bet u would....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

What makes me want to give up? Nothing does. What may yet force me to give up though is injuries.

Its usually the "WIFE" in most lads cases?!?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Tell her to Fûck right off!!!!!!!

P.S. I didn't say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Conversation the other week went something like:

Her: Why do you NEED two motorbikes?
    Me: I don't even "need" one motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Me: I don't even "need" one motorbike.

why in the world would you ever utter these words. you know they never ever ever forget anything! or is that just my wife?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Theryre the lads with no balls then........:)

My trouble and strife is brilliant, never questions why i NEED 6 bikes........:P

Theryre the lads with no balls then........:)

My trouble and strife is brilliant, never questions why i NEED 6 bikes........:P

I agree, My Queen Bee is brilliant also...hence why I said most lads. Sure she had no probs letting me go to Switzerland on the bike last year with a new born!!!!

:eek::eek:

Edit: I did not bring the new born with me.....LMAO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

You can have the best of both worlds, buy yourself a pair of Hornee Jeans.. ;)

Cocoon wrote: »
    You can have the best of both worlds, buy yourself a pair of Hornee Jeans.. ;)

Prefer me skinny hipsters............:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

All too often there is a close call be it from myself doing something stupid or another driver or road conditions etc.... The list goes on. When im coming home on the bike the kids do hear the bike before im at the house and all 3 of them do be up on the couch looking out the window waving at me as I pull up at the house.

Its at that exact moment I think of packing in the bike.
    I genuinely believe one of the days sooner rather than later I will follow through with the thoughts and just sell on everything and get a second car.

Advertisement