Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What Makes You Wanna Give Up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Its all about the kids man! I only ever felt like that whenni got home and saw them too.

When i sold my bike last year i got all the slanging from the lads thinking the missus played a hand in it when in fact she grilled me to make sure i really wanted to and said she appreciated i was doing it for the wedding and if i wanted to get a new one after that she had no issue with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

My missus would be exactly the same. Years back when I was toying with the idea of getting a bike we found out she was pregnant with our first kid and she said to me i best get a bike sorted now then because after the baby is born she doubt we would have the money to spend on a bike! :eek::D

Roll on the years and out 4th baby is due this weekend and im really not sure how much longer I can ignore the sinking feeling that I need to pack in bikes.

It actually effects the way I drive. I drive with a "what if" attitude and its making me hesitate on corners, drive dog slow sometime which I find boring as fúck and really ruining the enjoyment of being on the bike because of all the "what if" thoughts in my head. I find it very hard to relax on the bike and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

goodlad wrote: »
    My missus would be exactly the same. Years back when I was toying with the idea of getting a bike we found out she was pregnant with our first kid and she said to me i best get a bike sorted now then because after the baby is born she doubt we would have the money to spend on a bike! :eek::D

Roll on the years and out 4th baby is due this weekend and im really not sure how much longer I can ignore the sinking feeling that I need to pack in bikes.

It actually effects the way I drive. I drive with a "what if" attitude and its making me hesitate on corners, drive dog slow sometime which I find boring as fúck and really ruining the enjoyment of being on the bike because of all the "what if" thoughts in my head. I find it very hard to relax on the bike and enjoy it.

If youre thinking like that maybe you should give it up, before you hurt yourself or others...its that thinking that takes away your conccentration....
    We all ride like "what if" sometimes,if we didnt we'd be all dead....

One of the main reasons... in fact the only reason I didn't stick with the decision to not get another bike a while back was due to the cost of getting a second car and paying insurance. Its money I couldn't afford and need a second vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I think we have the same trail of thought on it lad. My way around it was a trials bike!

• Advertisement

Yeah man I would need something to keep my sanity!
    Its awful awkward to be main driver on 2 car policies, you NCB is only in effect on one of them. Missus would need to go main driver on the family car which would cost a bomb. So yeah... financially me keeping a bike is the only option for now.

I'm trapped!! :D

Now im not all over the shop on the bike everytime im on it. I do go out, have a blast and absolutely love it. Its like I said earlier, its that feeling when I get home and see the kids. Makes my mind wander about those close calls... Awful feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pregnancy. There really isn't any pregnancy biking gear to be had on the market, surprise surprise. Could not get an unborn-baby lid for love nor money. So, packed it in for a while while reproducing.

After pregnancies, cost came along. Insuring and taxing the bike (wtf is with having to tax it for the whole year now?) was breaking the budget once creche bills arrived. Some day, the poor old bike will come out of the garage and get a spin again.

I do get hassle for it taking up space, and grief about selling it, but I'm holding tough.

. Its like I said earlier, its that feeling when I get home and see the kids. Makes my mind wander about those close calls... Awful feeling.

Yeah..but think of the financial benefits they'll get if you croke it....they can get another daddy AND be quids in..maybe its the reason yer missus doesnt mind you on the bike...;);)

I'm kidding ok....

You incorrectly assume I have life insurance... haha

You incorrectly assume I have life insurance... haha

No...i aasued she has on you..................:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Cheers for all the feedback lads. I think I'll sit on it for a bit and then decide. Biking is too good to give up probably..... can't live life being scared of things that are mostly out of my control.

Good to get a fright I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

My last off was over 7 years ago, I broke my thumb and at the time I was all 'feck this, Im giving it up' for a day or two. Then I pulled myself together, told myself to stop being stupid and overly dramatic, and get back on the horse as soon as I physically can.
    And I've never thought about giving up since. Nor will I.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭An truicear tochasach

lostboy75 wrote: »
    why in the world would you ever utter these words. you know they never ever ever forget anything! or is that just my wife?

No- they never ever ever ever forget😂

No- they never ever ever ever forget😂

Theyre like elephants........well me mates wife is anyway.....;);):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

pwurple wrote: »
    Pregnancy. There really isn't any pregnancy biking gear to be had on the market, surprise surprise. Could not get an unborn-baby lid for love nor money. So, packed it in for a while while reproducing.

After pregnancies, cost came along. Insuring and taxing the bike (wtf is with having to tax it for the whole year now?) was breaking the budget once creche bills arrived. Some day, the poor old bike will come out of the garage and get a spin again.

I do get hassle for it taking up space, and grief about selling it, but I'm holding tough.
    Wife was the exact same! Drove it up till about 7 months preggers, hasn't drove it since. Sold it about 2 months ago, it hadn't been driven in almost 4 years!

pwurple wrote: »

Yeah...........€88, disgusting isnt it...u could get a xbox game for that...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah...........€88, disgusting isnt it...u could get a xbox game for that...:rolleyes:
    LOL, I know a few lads who never taxed a bike, not worth the hassle imho. Now, insurance, that's painful to pay. And the €800 i need to tax the car :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sheesh louise, sorry we're all not Mr Moneybags like yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Tax is not compulsory is it!

***king hell...next ye'll be sayin ye didnt pay yer water bill.....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I've had two offs, no collisions or incidents involving other road users and a whole lot of near misses. The near misses get me the most. I do be a bit shaken after a near miss thinking "what if" but I just try and re-focus and learn from it rather than dwell on it.

The only thing that's ever made me consider packing it in is the weather. Rain I can deal with. Sure sometimes it sucks being wet for the whole day but good gear can get you around that. Snow and Ice on the other hand.

I broke down one evening on the way home from work while it was bucketing snow on the Dublin Trim road. Had to push it to Kiltale garage and the whole way there all I done was curse the thing for letting me down. Once I got there I realised it was water getting at the sparks so I just dried them off and wrapped a cloth around each one. Literally 5 minutes down the road I was shouting on the big singing its praises.

Its a love hate thing I suppose. The bad moments make you realise how good some of the good ones can be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Its a love hate thing I suppose. The bad moments make you realise how good some of the good ones can be!

Wait until the really, really bad moments come.. You begin to wonder at your own mortality.

I'm doing that tonight after reading a tribute my brother just left to a wonderful friend of his who lost her fight fight for life this morning.

Another biker.

Jesus the last few years have been shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm about to start biking at 29 and this thread is fairly sobering to read... to the point where I'm wondering is it a daft choice to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

For me; the joys of biking far out weigh the risks. So much so that I couldn't imagine living without it (ironically).

Although that may change if I start a family in the future and will have to make a decision then, but for now I will enjoy it and continue to make the most of it.

We all know the risks when we throw the leg over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im very new to it, nearly a year to my belt. Have the Full A.

For me its about attitude, tbh i got into biking as i sold the car and wanted something new and fresh. Coming from an E46 M3 i wanted to try something different. Oddly enough my reasons were not for a thrill or speed. Ive always enjoyed sauntering the countryside so i bought a Touring bike exactly for that purpose.

I would classify myself as a rider who likes to watch the world go by and my driving style reflects that. Thankfully no near misses. I spend much of my time motoring the back roads of wicklow and carlow just to 'see things' that you wouldnt normally see.

I dont see myself giving up its too much of a pull.

I'm about to start biking at 29 and this thread is fairly sobering to read... to the point where I'm wondering is it a daft choice to make.

Sonds like yer heart isnt in it....maybe you should'nt bother....

On the other hand lf you like being out and about with other like minded souls, having a laugh, getting involved in events or runs and talking sh1te for an hour then join us....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Sonds like yer heart isnt in it....maybe you should'nt bother....

On the other hand lf you like being out and about with other like minded souls, having a laugh, getting involved in events or runs and talking sh1te for an hour then join us....:)

You have read the rest of the thread right? People dying, losing friends, near misses, injuries...

I want to try it, but I think my reaction is a fair one given the content of what's been posted so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

You have read the rest of the thread right? People dying, losing friends, near misses, injuries...

I want to try it, but I think my reaction is a fair one given the content of what's been posted so far.

In fairness the OP wanted to know what, if anything, could make you give up riding a bike. These are peoples lowest points and would'nt reflect the whole experience. I'm sure if we had a thread highlighting the best moments it would be pages and pages of laughter,banter, craic etc.

Either way I get what your saying and Im sure it must be a sobering thread for anybody thinking about starting. If you genuinely have an interest in it though Id recommend at least getting on a bike (IBT of course). What will more than likely happen is youl twist the throttle and put all these thoughts to the back of your mind and enjoy it for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think this quote is great:
    Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

When I ride a bike I have fun, no matter if its the slowest oldest and crappiest POS, its still fun.
    When biking no longer becomes fun and I don't enjoy it anymore I will give up, however I can't see that happening for some time yet.
    For me the buzz isn't the speed or the acceleration though they are fun the biggest buzz is being out in the air and being able to use all your senses unlike a car.
    You hardly ever smell anything other than slurry in a car, on a bike you can smell trees and flowers as you go past, even at speed.

• Advertisement

I know more people (and some of them bikers) who have died from NOT being on a bike than in crashes...its life...

I would never recommend biking to anyone who couldnt make up their own mind about it...if you choose to get a bike you'll not find a better place for info and comradery than here..;)

Advertisement