Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What Makes You Wanna Give Up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think this quote is great:
    Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.

When I ride a bike I have fun, no matter if its the slowest oldest and crappiest POS, its still fun.
    When biking no longer becomes fun and I don't enjoy it anymore I will give up, however I can't see that happening for some time yet.
    For me the buzz isn't the speed or the acceleration though they are fun the biggest buzz is being out in the air and being able to use all your senses unlike a car.
    You hardly ever smell anything other than slurry in a car, on a bike you can smell trees and flowers as you go past, even at speed.

I think the longer you are on bikes the more the speed and acceleration become less of a factor IMO. Obviously you will have people who are speed freaks thats a given but generally if you get the mad stuff out of your system early you will enjoy the little things more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think this is the point, I don't have anything fast .
    Deauville and a Dominator for touring and some exploring, RMX250 for vintage offroad two stroke fun and a soon to be rebuilt two stroke Montesa trials bike.
    thats plenty of fun under 100kph right there.
    I get a massive buzz watching my kids ride their scrambler around the fields.
    Offroad riding is great craic to try if you are sick of roads, you will learn lots of new skills as well.
    Thats partly why I have the Trials bike now.

I would dearly love an off road bike, every year I go to the NEC show in birmingham and they have the off road experience and it is so so good to get a rip for 30mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

You might go off bikes for a while due to injury or wedding cake but the longing is always there and when you do get back on the bike you feel like you have woken up again.

I have seen a good few injuries and simple plain stupidity, it did put me off going to bike rallies as being a known non drinker that was handy at first aid resulted in me being there for a few fairly nasty ones. Most crashes that you see make you think about how you would have avoided the situation if you could and whether your gear would be up to the job if it couldn't be avoided.

Being mid 40's I can see people getting back on their bikes again and without exception they are happier for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think this is the point, I don't have anything fast .
    Deauville and a Dominator for touring and some exploring, RMX250 for vintage offroad two stroke fun and a soon to be rebuilt two stroke Montesa trials bike.
    thats plenty of fun under 100kph right there.
    I get a massive buzz watching my kids ride their scrambler around the fields.
    Offroad riding is great craic to try if you are sick of roads, you will learn lots of new skills as well.
    Thats partly why I have the Trials bike now.

We get out 2 spins a week now on the trials bikes up the mountains, man it really is the best craic ever! The skill involved and the bike fitness required is crazy!

One of my finest moments so far, even this 2 ft concrete slab is very daunting when you start trying to get the back wheel onto it!

image.jpg1_zpsaoal3tbo.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah even after 30 mins I was fit for bed.....really demanding sport. But it would make you a seriously good rider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

First few times the hands, forearms and legs give in first but when ya build up the fitness and do half a day you will be sore all over the following day. Half an hour was more than enough at the start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

I sold the fazer a few weeks ago

Lost 50 euro on it for two years of ownership!

I'm back at college (part time + working) for a couple of years so just wont have time for the bike.. Couldn't look at it lying up.

Gonna buy another one when I finish college.

Hopefully a nice 2nd hand bmw s1000xr... Might be a couple around by then

kodak wrote: »
    I sold the fazer a few weeks ago

Lost 50 euro on it for two years of ownership!

I'm back at college (part time + working) for a couple of years so just wont have time for the bike.. Couldn't look at it lying up.

Gonna buy another one when I finish college.

Hopefully a nice 2nd hand bmw s1000xr... Might be a couple around by then

Sorry to hear that Kodak, gotta do what ya gotta do.

Hopefully see you on the spins again soon m8 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

What makes me want to give up?

The ****e state of the Irish roads, and the ****e state of the Irish weather.

It has not been a good year for biking.

On saying that,
    what makes me not want to give up is the week I had with a mate in France, and the two days of glorious sunshine three weeks ago when I got down to the Healy pass, Kenmare to Killarney (both ways), and coming over the Caha pass and looking down at Bantry bay.

Swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The roads. Look at the state of the resurfacing works up to Enniskerry and the disgraceful way they have left the surface. How these guys get away with it i'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Quality varies madly. They're redoing the chapelizod bypass at the moment and the new surface at least outbound is savage.

Slipping on diesel, getting trapped under the bike, lookin like a ruptured fuel tank and a good samaritan running over to help WHILE smoking did make me stop.

Thoughts of burning while trapped killed my confidence any time I saw diesel slicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

A lot of resurfacing happening in Meath at the moment too. The leave the roads in an absolute state though still littered with loose gravel/chippings.

Sorry to hear your away from biking for the moment Kodak. At least you will have the feeling of coming back to look forward to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Nothing would make me give up , it's all been peaches and roses up tI'll now so I don't see it changing.

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    A lot of resurfacing happening in Meath at the moment too. The leave the roads in an absolute state though still littered with loose gravel/chippings.

Sorry to hear your away from biking for the moment Kodak. At least you will have the feeling of coming back to look forward to!

Where abouts Ayrton? I am out and about alot around here nice to have a heads up m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

KTR1C wrote: »
    Nothing would make me give up , it's all been peaches and roses up tI'll now so I don't see it changing.
    A record, it's been almost 3 weeks since you wrote off a €20k bike! :D

As someone who rides in dry weather only, this weather is fúcking depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Nothing erver would, I might get a harley some day but that's not really giving up.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

bladespin wrote: »
    Nothing erver would, I might get a harley some day but that's not really giving up.

Ah it is in fairness :pac:

"IF" they bring in the NCT equivalent for bikes.....then again I think its more a case of when!!!!

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Where abouts Ayrton? I am out and about alot around here nice to have a heads up m8

They were re-surfacing the Ballybin road at the end of July between Ratoath and Ashbourne, Parts of the Skryne road (I think they may have more lined up for that) and then a smaller road connecting Ballivor & Trim. Must be some sort of schedule ? That or they are just trying to make my commute that little bit more difficult!

They were re-surfacing the Ballybin road at the end of July between Ratoath and Ashbourne, Parts of the Skryne road (I think they may have more lined up for that) and then a smaller road connecting Ballivor & Trim. Must be some sort of schedule ? That or they are just trying to make my commute that little bit more difficult!
    Some serious bends on that Ballybin road, would be nasty having chippings on it.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Some serious bends on that Ballybin road, would be nasty having chippings on it.

Yeh there is some very sharp corners on it alright! Nearly came off it the first time I was ever going using it. Saves so much time though commuting from Ratoath.

A lot of it has cleared up now, I think the more its used the more gets kicked off! wish they would finish it off and put down the road markings though!

Yeh there is some very sharp corners on it alright! Nearly came off it the first time I was ever going using it. Saves so much time though commuting from Ratoath.

A lot of it has cleared up now, I think the more its used the more gets kicked off! wish they would finish it off and put down the road markings though!

Problem is, cars take a similar tight line in corners and the chippings can build up between where the car wheels go. Which is usually the exact line a bike would take!
    But some deceiving corners on that road, very sharp. Remember driving on it in the snow and seeing a few cars in ditches. Used to work in the apple orchard there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Quality varies madly. They're redoing the chapelizod bypass at the moment and the new surface at least outbound is savage.

I ride this road 5 days a week. Are you saying avoid the new surface? I've rode on it but it's been dry each time. Should I avoid the new surface in the wet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I ride this road 5 days a week. Are you saying avoid the new surface? I've rode on it but it's been dry each time. Should I avoid the new surface in the wet?

Meant savage as in good. They seem to be doing a reasonable job cleaning it so it's not destroyed with sand or gravel. Was a bit ropey for a few days with no markings but they've the reflectors down now. Was on it in the pissing of rain the other day and it was a grand, vast improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

I gave up at 22yrs old. I had a major accident on a hired moped in Ibiza where I left the paved surface and end up in the bushes. Broke my shoulder and smashed up my face. Silly stuff and I regret to say drink involved. 25 yrs later went back biking , took a load of lessons and have wondered how I survived not been on a bike for all those years. 4 years on I ride a boring GS now, a visible bike......wouldn't pull the skin off a sausage and dream about FJRs / GTR1400s but I'm happy with my two pot plugger. I don't boot about but just enjoy biking for what it is. Traffic doesn't stress me and a trip in the country side , all the aromas from cow sh!t to the smell of heather. I sold my car as I live in the city......the bike is now my main mode of transport. I go out in all weather except icy cold mornings where I just have to bus it or get a lift. Regrets going back.....none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I had a major accident on a hired moped in Ibiza where I left the paved surface and end up in the bushes. Broke my shoulder and smashed up my face. Silly stuff and I regret to say drink involved.

I'd say you are not alone there by any stretch of the imagination!

What GS have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I sold my last bike about 15 years ago because we had just bought a house and got engaged.....then got married...as you do :)
    Then along came the kids and you know the rest.......long story short Im buying a bike from a mate in a few weeks :D

I swear I never gave up, I just took a break ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Had to have a minor surgery to fix a major issue recently, been off the bike for about 3 weeks now! I'm going absolutely nuts and I can't imagine giving it up, ever! Don't know how I'm going to get through the next week or two, if it wasn't for the mrs I would already be on the bike.

Every time I see one of you fcukers I cry a little inside with envy!

Advertisement