Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about possible weakness in alarm system.

Options
  • 04-07-2015 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

The photo here shows that the door in the apartment bedroom has both a contact and a vibration switch at the top. However the window to the right has nothing...it is not wired. So even when the alarm is activated this window can be opened without setting it off. The alarm system is a HKC securewatch, no PIR or anything fancy.

Is this is a point of weakness that needs to be plugged? Or can I rely on the vibration sensor activating the alarm if a burglar tries his luck? Many thanks.

D33C49D8-2A9D-4EC3-BC5A-169751501C0E_zpszdhbqdon.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could easily wire a contact out of that sensor to cover the second opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Well spotted OP, I would actually go all the way and fit am inertia shock with contact to that window.
    Is the beading strips of those glass panes on the inside or outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Beading strip on the inside. Cheers for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Arm the system and go out and bang the window. The inertia will probably detect it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would have no doubt banging the window would activate the alarm. But the vulnerability here is the alarm will set with that side window open. In that case it would be easier to gain entry without activating the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

gebbel wrote: »
    The photo here shows that the door in the apartment bedroom has both a contact and a vibration switch at the top. However the window to the right has nothing...it is not wired. So even when the alarm is activated this window can be opened without setting it off. The alarm system is a HKC securewatch, no PIR or anything fancy.

Is this is a point of weakness that needs to be plugged? Or can I rely on the vibration sensor activating the alarm if a burglar tries his luck? Many thanks.

D33C49D8-2A9D-4EC3-BC5A-169751501C0E_zpszdhbqdon.jpg

It looks like just a contact covering the opening on the door. I would advise having a shock sensor fitted if thats the case. Also, the lock on that door should be replaced with an anti snap/anti bump lock.

Advertisement