Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor has all money to close sale it's been 5 weeks!

Options
  • 04-07-2015 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi, first time buying property in Ireland. The date of close was supposed to be 5 weeks ago. I've given my solicitor all the funds to complete: The deposits, full balance for the house, all searches, his fees, stamp duty etc and its all been sitting in his client account for all this time. Is this normal?

The delay, I'm told is due to an side issue in the contract raised by the sellers solicitor about a tax relief scheme. From what I see this tax relief does not benefit me in any way. I heard there is a law which put a stop to solicitors gaining interest from money in their client accounts so its not that. This situation is worrying me and seems very odd that the money is all there and nothing is happening. I still have no idea when the sale will close, can anyone advise me please?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Speak to your solicitor about the delay. If there is a taxation problem let him do his job or you could be hit with a tax bill later on

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Appears to be common practice for solicitors to let your funds sit in their deposit accounts , earning interest, at your expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Appears to be common practice for solicitors to let your funds sit in their deposit accounts , earning interest, at your expense.

They must be milking it with the lavish interest rates paid by banks to quick access current accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

If they are lucky, theyd be earning interest of 1% nett on their balance which would be €250 per month on a sum of €300,000. Don't think too many solicitors would be interested in holding up a sale for that

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭marsbar1

That's right. Most current accounts pay out no interest on money over 2,000 Euro balance. The tax is something which will benefit me not penalise me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The OP has already noted, correctly, that solicitors cant charge interest on their client account. So thats not it

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The OP has already noted, correctly, that solicitors cant charge interest on their client account. So thats not it
    Can't charge interest or can't earn interest?

Victor wrote: »
    Can't charge interest or can't earn interest?

Earn. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheSelf

Sols usually have two c/a. A client a/c and an office a/c. The funds held in the client a/c are almost always used to minimise the fees and charges on their office a/c. This is known as an "offset arrangement" in banking terms..

My solicitor says he has contacted sellers sol, advising we wish to close as soon as possible. He says once they send the paperwork he will send them the money. Does this sound ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

marsbar1 wrote: »
    He says once they send the paperwork he will send them the money.
    Has the seller signed the contracts yet?

Sorry for the delay. Yes they have signed the contracts. The vendors sol apologises for the delay and blames her client for not raising paperwork!

If they have signed there is no going back for them is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

OP, your solicitor has all the money to close the PURCHASE ? It is up to the seller to send on the contract for sale and then to answer your solicitors questions about the property. This can take a bit of time depending how ready the sellers were for the sale. Equally some sellers have the documents needed at their fingertips (e.g. copy of planning for extension). But you should ring your solicitor and say you are worrying - they can probably reassure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

marsbar1 wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay. Yes they have signed the contracts. The vendors sol apologises for the delay and blames her client for not raising paperwork!

If they have signed there is no going back for them is there?

It sounds to me like your solicitor sent the requisition for funds prematurely if they were still waiting on documentation. The bank doesn't release the funds until asked, and normally this is only done when all that's left to do is hand over the keys. I would be very clear that you will not be paying the mortgage interest that has accrued over the last 5 weeks!

Advertisement