Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan mince recommendations

Options
  • 04-07-2015 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a vegan mince substitute? I've been on a vegan diet for the past 3 weeks and the only thing I'm missing really is spagetti bolognese. I've tried a tesco own brand vegan mince but find it too sweet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

I guess the problem with things like these is that you kinda have to just try as many different brands and see what suits best. However I did have a similar problem like you with and found the Linda McCartney mince to be better (though it seems to be harder to find these days). Also Holland & Barret and other health shops stock dehydrated soy mince which I also found good but the texture can get very soggy and almost mushy if it gets too damp.

Another good idea I saw in one of the other threads (can't remember who posted it) was to use mushrooms as the base for the bolognese, which I found to work quite well too. Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

zac8 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a vegan mince substitute? I've been on a vegan diet for the past 3 weeks and the only thing I'm missing really is spagetti bolognese. I've tried a tesco own brand vegan mince but find it too sweet.

Quorn mince is great, widely available and reasonable price wise. I'm not vegetarian but my daughter is, but the whole family love Quorn spaghetti bolognese.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Sorry, read it properly and realised you said vegan not vegetarian, and I am not 100% sure about Quorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Thanks. I haven't seen the Linda McCartney mince anywhere. I'll check my local Holland & Barrett to see what they have.
    F1fan wrote: »
    Sorry, read it properly and realised you said vegan not vegetarian, and I am not 100% sure about Quorn.

No I don't think Quorn is vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quorn uses egg binders in all their products currently, except a burger range in the US only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

TVP is an option, as is tofu if you freeze it, thaw it, press it and then mash it up into mince type lumps - then use it per the recipe that Quorn have for spagbol on their website, replacing their mince with the tofu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

There's also the Tivall range which includes a nice mince, I don't see it around much anymore, The Hopsack in Rathmines maybe or SuperValu Churchtown.

Advertisement