Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone an expert on Dublin residents parking

• 04-07-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

Currently looking at a house in D6 to buy which is a terraced style with no off street parking. However it is on a main road with no parking spaces on it. However there are streets which run perpendicular which do have pay and display spaces...

Would an owner of that house be eligible for a disc space on the adjoining street (less than 50 feet from front door)? or are Dublin city council dogmatic about only being able to park on the street where your house is

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I live on a street off a main street and someone who does not live on our street has a parking disc for our small street - right pita as no one knows exactly where he lives and he's a really bad parker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Islander13 wrote: »
    Currently looking at a house in D6 to buy which is a terraced style with no off street parking. However it is on a main road with no parking spaces on it. However there are streets which run perpendicular which do have pay and display spaces...

Would an owner of that house be eligible for a disc space on the adjoining street (less than 50 feet from front door)? or are Dublin city council dogmatic about only being able to park on the street where your house is

Thanks

I'm guessing this is on Dunville Ave?

The permit parking is divided into zones. If you can get a permit you are entitled to park in any of the streets that are included in this zone.

The seller will be able to answer this and how many permits the house is entitled to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

spurious wrote: »
    I live on a street off a main street and someone who does not live on our street has a parking disc for our small street - right pita as no one knows exactly where he lives and he's a really bad parker.

It's also A PITA when the council grant permits. In a democratic society what gives one person access to public land. If people want the right to park they should buy land like others do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

ted1 wrote: »
    It's also A PITA when the council grant permits. In a democratic society what gives one person access to public land.

A permit, which people pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Is this any help? I'm definitely no expert, but i was wondering about this the other week because my sister is renovating an old property in D2 to eventually live there & it also has only paid street parking.
    Link:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin-parking-city-residents/buy-parking-permit
    (I hope that's a link there, the iPad is being a pain at the mo. Google 'Dublin co co parking permit' if the link isn't there or working)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am in D6 and there are a few houses on the main road of our village who have permits for the adjacent streets. There are no parking spaces on the main rd. You get huge moaning from people on the adjacent streets about "people who don't live here parking here". Gas. You own your house not the road! DCC will allocate the road as they see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Spent a bit of my saturday mooching around said adjoining road looking at cars and it appears from whats written on the disc permits that parking on the adjoining road is permitted as both the main and adjoining road are listed on the disc.

Dublin city council website is pretty impenetrable on the subject unfortunately despite spending a couple of hours searching!

Thanks for replies

Ranchu wrote: »

At a discounted rate s d only eligible to people living on the road

At a discounted rate s d only eligible to people living on the road

And rightly so, people should have access to parking close to their home ahead of others. Cars are a necessity and parking near your home is a necessity and should be available for minimal or no cost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Islander13 wrote: »
    Spent a bit of my saturday mooching around said adjoining road looking at cars and it appears from whats written on the disc permits that parking on the adjoining road is permitted as both the main and adjoining road are listed on the disc.

Dublin city council website is pretty impenetrable on the subject unfortunately despite spending a couple of hours searching!

Thanks for replies

If you're going to be commuting to work by car maybe take a spin out to the place after work someday and see what it's like to get parking at that time.

I used to live in a terrace house with unassigned on street parking and it was a nightmare. The road could get very busy, especially at coming home time, and it wasn't just finding a spot that was difficult but not having a car drive up your arse, when you had your indicator on, and blocking you from reversing into it was just as difficult.

After going through that the parking situation is high up my list when looking at places to live.

• Advertisement

And rightly so, people should have access to parking close to their home ahead of others. Cars are a necessity and parking near your home is a necessity and should be available for minimal or no cost.

Cars are a luxury not a necessity. If you want car park space you should pay the market rate of 20k+ you have no entitlement over a public road than anybody else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

S.I No 182/1997 Road Traffic (traffic and parking) Regulations 1997

36. (2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

I live in a street where some woman thinks its OK to park across my drive.

If you park in a street without restrictions, expect the full wrath of the local residents. We are sick of people blocking our drives because they are too tight to get a permit.

Dublin 6..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

dubscottie wrote: »
    If you park in a street without restrictions, expect the full wrath of the local residents. We are sick of people blocking our drives because they are too tight to get a permit.

Dublin 6..

I own the public road outside your house just as much as you do. If someone parks blocking an entrance call the council to have the car removed*. Can't see where wrath would come into it.

*be prepared to wait alot of hours if past experience is anything to go by

S.I No 182/1997 Road Traffic (traffic and parking) Regulations 1997

36. (2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

Dublin 6..

If it's just one woman, why don't you tell her?

Also, can she not be clamped if she's parked across your drive or is she parking across your drive in between marked parking bays?

If she's blocking your driveway then she's breaking the law and not in a "my parking ticket is up" knd of way. Call the guards, not the council. They will have her towed pretty quickly and she will come back to find her car in a pound somewhere. Totally illegal to block someone's driveway. She won't do it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Have you ever tried this? In my experience the Guards will shrug their shoulders and tell you to call the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Have you ever tried this? In my experience the Guards will shrug their shoulders and tell you to call the council.

Ring the Guards, get their name/number when you are chatting to them. If they don't act, then ring again, speak to the same Garda and if they don't help ask to speak to the Duty Sargent. Ask them for an explanation as to why no action is being taken. That tends to get things moving.

I lived for a while on a street where the same person blocked the driveway every morning at 7.30 a.m. The job I was doing meant I was working from 11-21.00 and I had a van with all the equipment so I couldn't walk or take the bus. His car was towed twice, he never did it again. The first Guard I dealt with couldn't care less, he only got his arse in gear when I insisted n speaking to his Sargent the third time I rang. My uncle is a retired Garda, he was the one who told me to talk to the Sargent/Superintendent in charge.

Cars are a luxury not a necessity. If you want car park space you should pay the market rate of 20k+ you have no entitlement over a public road than anybody else

Cars are a necessity for a large majority of people. Also a resident has no more right to the actual space than anyone else they just have a permit to park in it while you have to get a ticket. Being from an area entitles people to extra benefits in their area and parking is one of them.

It wouldn't be totally and utter unreasonable to lump huge financial pressure on a person to have to buy a parking space (which might not even be available near their house) in order to own a car or the stress it would put on someone who needs a car but can't afford to buy a space. What sort of twisted logic could see that as fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

All on street parking (and indeed all urban road use) is massively subsidised when you start taking into account the value of the land involved. In commercial areas it is a subsidy in favour of the local traders who would not have many customers or suppers if the true economic cost of on street parking were applied.

In a residential area it makes sense to extend the same subsidy to the people who live in the area.

The OP should contact the city council and find out what the arrangement is for the particular street they are interested in.

The OP should contact the city council and find out what the arrangement is for the particular street they are interested in.

No, they should contact the seller

• Advertisement

Cars are a necessity for a large majority of people. Also a resident has no more right to the actual space than anyone else they just have a permit to park in it while you have to get a ticket. Being from an area entitles people to extra benefits in their area and parking is one of them.

It wouldn't be totally and utter unreasonable to lump huge financial pressure on a person to have to buy a parking space (which might not even be available near their house) in order to own a car or the stress it would put on someone who needs a car but can't afford to buy a space. What sort of twisted logic could see that as fair.

How are cars a necessity? People who buy apartments often have to buy their own space for 40k.

A permit which favours one citizen over another in a democratic state makes no sense.

Worked for one of my neighbours. Lane down the side of her house that she used to get into her garage. Lane was used as a back entrance for a couple of pubs and restaurants who were using it as free staff parking. She and the other neighbours spent half their time going into pubs and waiting ages for the car owner to finally arrive out. Council would do nothing because there was nothing to say there was no parking on the laneway and they refused to put in yellow lines. Told us to call the guards and keep calling them until the car owners stopped parking there. After enough tickets were issued from the lads in the local station the problem went away.

A permit which favours one citizen over another in a democratic state makes no sense.

Cars are a necessity as most people simply cannot survive without them, trying to claim otherwise is head in the sand stuff.

As I said before a resident of an area should have favour over someone from outside it makes perfect sense.

Also most apartments have one space included in the price, it's an exception to have to pay extra. I have been looking at apartments for sale on a weekly basis over the last few years and 95% include a parking space and rightly so it should be a planning requirement that every apartment has a dedicated space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Cars are a necessity as most people simply cannot survive without them, trying to claim otherwise is head in the sand stuff

I lived in Dublin for eleven years (including two years with a child) before I bought a car. Cars are a convenience for most people living in Dublin. The vast majority of people commute to work while public transport is running, most people don't need a car for their job and most people don't need to bring much to work. Of course there are exceptions (emergency services, shift workers, tradesmen, etc) but they're just that - exceptions.

If cars are such a necessity, how did civilisation survive without them for thousands of years? They make life easier, they allow us to do more things or work in different places but please leave the hyperbole out of it.

The only reasons parking permits exist now is because more people have cars than did in the past and our streets aren't designed for that.

Cars are a necessity as most people simply cannot survive without them, trying to claim otherwise is head in the sand stuff.

As I said before a resident of an area should have favour over someone from outside it makes perfect sense.

Also most apartments have one space included in the price, it's an exception to have to pay extra. I have been looking at apartments for sale on a weekly basis over the last few years and 95% include a parking space and rightly so it should be a planning requirement that every apartment has a dedicated space.

Your talking nosense about cars be a necessity. I used to think that till I discovered a bike is faster and healthier method of getting around particularly in urban areas where they issue pay king permits.

Your talking nosense about cars be a necessity. I used to think that till I discovered a bike is faster and healthier method of getting around particularly in urban areas where they issue pay king permits.

Yeah a bike is great for a boot full of shopping or a set of golf clubs or carrying multiple people or travelling a long distance to work or bringing a baby places etc etc etc etc.

Yeah a bike is great for a boot full of shopping or a set of golf clubs or carrying multiple people or travelling a long distance to work or bringing a baby places etc etc etc etc.

Golf is not a necessity. We have buggies/prams for babies, alot of supermarkets deliver or alternatively you can get a granny trolley, multiple people can get a bus etc etc etc.
    Now I am not saying that having a car is not more convenient because it is and is why I have one but at the same time I made sure I got a place with a parking space. But to say it is a necessity is nonsense unless you are so cut off from public transport that you cannot contemplate walking to the closest train station/busstop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will find it to be very dependent on location. Getting a parking permit for Kenilworth Square is likely to be very easy, as there is very little demand. It will be a whole other matter on Rathmines Road Lower or in Ranelagh village. You will need to ask the council what its policies are for the particular location.

Note that driving, especially through Rathmines, is exceptionally slow at rush hour. For most parts of Dublin 6, only 20-40% of commuters use cars, dropping to 10-20 at the Grand Canal.

354247.PNG
    Cars are a necessity
    No they aren't, certainly not for the vast majority of people. They are an expensive addiction that, like other addictions, impose costs and burdens on other people.
    parking near your home is a necessity
    No it isn't. Rathmines has more than 1,000 buses per day. Ranelagh has Luas. There's Dunnes, Tesco (2), Lidl (2), Aldi, Supervalu (2), cafés, restaurants, take-aways, doctors, dentists, schools - all within walking distance.
    spurious wrote: »
    Clampers and/or Garda.
    Ranchu wrote: »
    A parking space is worth €20,000-40,000 in the area. One can get the permit for about €80 per year.
    Clampers and/or Garda. They can have the vehicle towed. It'll soften her cough.
    If it's just one woman, why don't you tell her?

Also, can she not be clamped if she's parked across your drive or is she parking across your drive in between marked parking bays?
    Blocking an entrance is blocking an entrance and is an offence if done without the consent of the property occupier. Marked spaces tend not to be put in front of entrances, although there won't necessarily be double yellow lines in front of the entrance.
    Cars are a necessity for a large majority of people.
    No. Large numbers of people are addicted to cars.
    No, they should contact the seller
    Who will then lie through their teeth. :) And even if they don't lie, the best you can expect is their own interpretation of the rules, not the actual rules.

Victor wrote: »

Who will then lie through their teeth. :) And even if they don't lie, the best you can expect is their own interpretation of the rules, not the actual rules.

Or maybe they won't as it could prove a sticking point to the sale once the buyers solicitors start their inquiries

• Advertisement

We have buggies/prams for babies,.

The point was from bringing the baby and all that goes with it like the buggy places. I have seen with friends that it takes a packed boot and half the back seat to go away for a few hours with a baby how do you propose carrying all that stuff without a car?

There is absolutely no doubt a car is a necessity for an awful lot of people, its not even up for debate if you live in a rural area (where I'm from) but I currently live in a city and I still could not survive without a car it would have a major impact on my life not having it and that's even taking into account that I don't drive to work (which if I did it would be an even bigger deal).

The point was from bringing the baby and all that goes with it like the buggy places. I have seen with friends that it takes a packed boot and half the back seat to go away for a few hours with a baby how do you propose carrying all that stuff without a car?.

Yes I would agree, with a car you are inclined to bring way more stuff than you actually need. I have a baby at the moment and the only time we put him in the car other than weekends away is when we are going to the park (which is 5 miles away) or going to the supermarket.
    We could avoid using the car for either one by getting public transport or walking to the supermarket but the car is more convenient. Convenient but not essential.

What are they bringing that takes up a boot and half a back seat anyway???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Permit parking? Wasn't that the OP's issue, not how full the back of a car may or may not be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Donegal1980

Hi, I am moving to an apartment in Dublin 8 that does not have a parking space. I do not have a clue about on street parking and hope someone could help.
    There are a number of streets around the apartment that have pay and display signs so I assume you would require a permit for this.
    There are also a number of streets that do not have signs and I could not see permits on the windshields of cars. Is it a case that some streets are just free parking and is there a way to find out where these streets are
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi, I am moving to an apartment in Dublin 8 that does not have a parking space. I do not have a clue about on street parking and hope someone could help.
    There are a number of streets around the apartment that have pay and display signs so I assume you would require a permit for this.
    There are also a number of streets that do not have signs and I could not see permits on the windshields of cars. Is it a case that some streets are just free parking and is there a way to find out where these streets are
    Thanks

If there is parking in the development (regardless of whether or not you have a space) you will generally not qualify for a parking permit.

Here is the Dublin City Council link for info on parking for City Residents http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/parking-city-residents

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Most apartments in Dublin city centre do not include a parking space in the price. It costs extra just for 1 space. In addition the management company will charge a management fee for each car space as well so there is an annual cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement