Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutrition for 70.3

Options
  • 04-07-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Started in triathlons this weekend last year in Athlone. Went on to do three sprints last year.

This year started with Athy Olympic and then HOTW.

Have been disappointed with my run in both races this year.

Next up is Dublin 70.3 and know that I need to start looking at carb gels now in advance of this race.

Had avoided this up until now as I felt I didn't need it and am conscious of gaining weight. Though looking back I probably should have taken something to push me through the run at HOTW.

Have taken some of the brothers protein on occasion after a hard training session and take electrolytes as I have have a problem with dehydration.

Know if I walk into a nutrition shop now its going to be sell sell sell so came here for some advise first.

What have people found good?

When in a race do you take them?

How much would I actually need?

Over a 100k training cycle how much should you take?

Seen people with jaffa cakes at HOTW, would this be sufficient?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm no expert, but the main point is to work out how many calories you need via an online calculator and practice it in your training. Its also good to find out who the nutrition supplier is going to be and try to train with their products so you are not using anything new on the day. Failing that, dont use any new gels etc and be self sufficient.

For me, I take 100 cals every 20 minutes on the bike. I know I can handle that. Any more, i get stomach and arse issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Your nutrition during training/racing.. I wouldn't be having any thoughts about weight gain... You will be burning what you eat on bike/run.
    Nutrition during a race will really vary on the person you are. Try out different goods/gels/bars etc in training and find what works for you

Advertisement