Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Laptop from login to desktop and Slow Chrome

Options
  • 04-07-2015 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

I have a dell i3 laptop which is about 6 years old with about 4gb memory.

I am having a few problems.
    How can I speed up the boot of the laptop

It is taking two minutes to get from the login screen into my desktop - How can I speed this up? Could it be a virus or how can I check what programs are slowing it down.

I am also having serious difficulty with the Chrome Browser -I normally boot up with 5 to 7 tabs as home pages , but even when I boot with one tab its still very slow. Can anybody advise? I dont have lot of extensions - only pdf reader and google docs reader.I did have evernote web clipper but I took it off and I thought it sped it up slightly.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Go to start-search misconfig(run same) look under the startup tab on the window that opens.you can disable most of what is there,if you are not sure take a screen shot and post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

THis is what I have in msconfig. Do you think that I might have a virus on the computer by any chance?

Here are the screen shots of my msconfig

snip 1.JPG

snip2.JPG

snip3.JPG

snip4.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 44 myrscossie

Disable everything other then
    IDT PC Audio
    synaptics pointing device driver
    Avast AV
    If theres something you use all the time then leave it on but most you can find in the start menu if you think you might have a virus open Avast and do a FULL scan.

download and install CCleaner will help to and use it maybe once a week or so.

Advertisement