Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths and Computer course

Options
  • 04-07-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Would u need to be good at maths to do a diploma in science ( software development) , a computer diploma in a university. I was never good at maths even bac at school. I hav degree and masters in . but always found never found maths easy. Would the maths be very hard on the course Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What level is the diploma - is it a post-grad diploma, or a regular diploma?

Either way, the actual mathematics is not as important as the mindset. Are you good at logical deduction? For example, how would you fare on this classic logic problem: http://www.mathsisfun.com/chicken_crossing_solution.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Thanks for your response its a post grad higher diploma in science ( software development) in a university.

its a level 8 diploma

I tryed the logic problem, not great really, I kind got the idea that you had take one at a time across the river, but didnt fully grasp what the answer should be . I wouldnt find those logic problems easy, kind of difficlult. .Would that be a bad sign for doing the course and is there any chance possible could you give any of examples of kind logical deduction a course like this would involve. I have done a masters in Geography, so thats the kind of area I would have studied before. Really appreciate this just a little bit worried about the course. Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sonny678 wrote: »
    I wouldnt find those logic problems easy, kind of difficlult. .Would that be a bad sign for doing the course and is there any chance possible could you give any of examples of kind logical deduction a course like this would involve.

In my honest opinion, yes, it would be a bad sign.

I don't have any specific examples to hand, but try some coding yourself. Get some resources either on the web or a book and start. See how you get on!

I am self-taught in programming, so bad habits aside, it will give you a good indication as to whether or not you are suited to or have an interest in programming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭lickme

Download a begineers Java book or look at beginner java coding lessons on the internet. I got an B1 in leaving cert maths and was horrible at coding in college and also in the work place.

Transferred over to networks and am currently studying for the CCNP and got my MCSA in Windows Server. If I.T is something your interested in theres many other areas such as Linux, Oracle, Windows Server, Cisco, Cloud technologies etc. (bits of coding in them but not as full on). Just do a generic I.T course and pass and then concentrate on getting certified in an area that you like through self study and exams.

You just need the mindset for coding which I didn't have. (And plenty of patience!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    In my honest opinion, yes, it would be a bad sign.

I don't have any specific examples to hand, but try some coding yourself. Get some resources either on the web or a book and start. See how you get on!

I am self-taught in programming, so bad habits aside, it will give you a good indication as to whether or not you are suited to or have an interest in programming.

That logic problem you linked to is a sign of very little. Much of a computing course deals with mechanical aspects of languages first and the logic is basic and straight-forward. I think anyone that can apply themselves could do a higher diploma in computing, which won't even reach near the levels of complexity a four-year course will near its end.

Advertisement