Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical card with Private Health Insurance?

Options
  • 04-07-2015 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick background check; I have a full medical card because I have a heart condition. I see a cardiologist twice per year and get the regular cardiology tests such as Echo etc..

I am considering getting private health insurance as some of the waiting lists in the public sector are a joke! Are you allowed to have both a medical card and a private health insurance plan? Is there any significant advantages to taking it out?

Also, who are the best insurers now in this area?

Thanks for your help
    All the best,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

GeneralC wrote: »
    Are you allowed to have both a medical card and a private health insurance plan?
    Yes. The only real difference you'll see (apart from possibly a shorter wait to see a consultant on a private basis) is that if you avail of private medical care in a public hospital that your medical card is used to cover the statutory govt charges element of your accomodation charges & your private medical insurance policy will cover the rest (subject to your particular coverage), which basically means that the insurance co will potentially save paying out €750 per year on your policy. If you avail of private medical care in a private or high-tech hospital the medical card will be of no consequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Will private health insurance cover a pretty existing condition straight away?. Thought they had exclusion periods for such cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Owryan wrote: »
    Will private health insurance cover a pretty existing condition straight away?. Thought they had exclusion periods for such cases.

Doesnt generally cover pre exisitng conditions.
    I've a medical card and insurance.
    Was recently diagnosed with a condition needing surgery in the public system. The timeframe for surgery was in the next few months but my insurance let's me get it done in a private hospital nearer home with the same surgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes. The only real difference you'll see (apart from possibly a shorter wait to see a consultant on a private basis) is that if you avail of private medical care in a public hospital that your medical card is used to cover the statutory govt charges element of your accomodation charges & your private medical insurance policy will cover the rest (subject to your particular coverage), which basically means that the insurance co will potentially save paying out €750 per year on your policy. If you avail of private medical care in a private or high-tech hospital the medical card will be of no consequence.

I'm pretty sure that is not correct. You are no longer allowed to cherry-pick your treatment by going public in the hospital and having a private consultant.When you are being admitted to a public hospital, you will be asked if you have private health insurance. If you have, then your insurance provider will be charged for you as a private patient in that hospital. Mary Harney. bless her, put an end to that scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I'm pretty sure that is not correct. You are no longer allowed to cherry-pick your treatment by going public in the hospital and having a private consultant.When you are being admitted to a public hospital, you will be asked if you have private health insurance. If you have, then your insurance provider will be charged for you as a private patient in that hospital. Mary Harney. bless her, put an end to that scam.

I wasn't referring to an emergency admission through A&E which is the only time a patient wouldn't be admitted from a waiting list.

Otherwise, of course you can attend a consultant on either a private or public basis. Everyone is entitled to free public healthcare in the public healthcare system. If someone attends a consultant as a private patient they go on the private waiting list. If they attend as a public patient they go on the public waiting list. If they are brought by ambulance to hospital as an emergency case the main priority is to be treated asap - cherry picking doesn't really come into the equation especially in life threatening cases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

So, apart from the waiting list and the room in a public hospital, is that the only two advantages for me going for private health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

There's no longer a private and public waiting list in public hospitals, if you're attending a public hospital it's the same waiting list

LostArt wrote: »
    There's no longer a private and public waiting list in public hospitals, if you're attending a public hospital it's the same waiting list

Not quiet true

I was to see a cardiologist. The public appointment was 8 weeks. Private was 6 weeks. For the sake of 2 weeks and not paying for visits or tests I went public.

So , I found out today I need open heart surgery for the third time. I am a 27 year old male.

The only option I have on the public service is invasive open heart surgery, and I would rather not go through that again. I would prefer to have keyhole surgery, which is available in the Mater private and Beacon. Do I have any options here to get it done in one of those? Will an insurance company go near me now?

Advice/help would be appreciated!

• Advertisement

I can't :(

Can you pay for such a surgery? my mum is considering selling her home, if we have to.

Any idea what the best approach would be to take regarding this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ask the consultant how much it'd cost to pay yourself.

Your consultant would advise you on the costs ,or call his secretary.
    Im needing heart surgery and would be done in the next 2-3 months whether I was public or private. The urgency of the case dictates the waiting time.
    Having insurance let's me choose the mater private over a public hospital.

Advertisement