Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPAV 2-year course

Options
  • 04-07-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has done this course? I'm looking into doing it over the next two years but know no one who has.
    Just looking for experiences, whether people thought it is taught well or think it's a waste of time..anything really as Google searches have turned up nothing.
    I work in an estate agents and keep coming back to the idea of doing it to give me options in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Yes I did this course a few years ago. The best part of it was the valuations and law sections.

Check to see if it is Fetac 6 or else it won't be good enough to get the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Hi,

Apologies for raising an old thread.

Higher Certificate in Business in Real Estate (Valuation, Sale and Management) run by IPAV and tallaght IT. Or any related course. I'm looking to do this to get a PSRA license.

For anyone that has done this what has been your experience. How challenging was it. I'm not working in this area so practical hours I would need to do during holidays and at weekends. I'm just trying to get an idea of how challenging study and time wise it was. I'm working in difference industry but looking at career change also have 2 young kids so would be very challenging I'm sure.

If I don get responses I might move it to the courses forum.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Millpull

Hi, I am currently on this course, just going into 2nd year. It is run very well and you will be entitled to receive all four licences when completed A,B,C&D

Millpull wrote: »
    Hi, I am currently on this course, just going into 2nd year. It is run very well and you will be entitled to receive all four licences when completed A,B,C&D

Thanks millpull. I wasn't accepted into the course unfortunately. I'm not working in the industry but I'm a professional with many years of other experience and many post grad qualifications.

I wanted to change careers. However there is no part time course that I can do that will lead to a psra license. It's near impossible if you're not working in the industry.

Thanks millpull. I wasn't accepted into the course unfortunately. I'm not working in the industry but I'm a professional with many years of other experience and many post grad qualifications.

I wanted to change careers. However there is no part time course that I can do that will lead to a psra license. It's near impossible if you're not working in the industry.

No you are not correct. A large portion of the class did not start the course working in the industry although were all advised to get some work experience to coincide with the course. If you find this difficult IPAV help locating somewhere. The reason you may have been refused a place on the course is that demand is very high. You'd need to be calling now to discuss attending next years course.

The course itself does require a fair amount of Indepent study but nothing you couldn't manage (and I have kids too)
    Best of luck

• Advertisement

Millpull wrote: »
    No you are not correct. A large portion of the class did not start the course working in the industry although were all advised to get some work experience to coincide with the course. If you find this difficult IPAV help locating somewhere. The reason you may have been refused a place on the course is that demand is very high. You'd need to be calling now to discuss attending next years course.

The course itself does require a fair amount of Indepent study but nothing you couldn't manage (and I have kids too)
    Best of luck

Thanks Millpull, it was due to over subscription. I applied in plenty of time, submitted all my certs and CV. It was disappointing/ frustrating that I wasn't selected.

Thanks Millpull, it was due to over subscription. I applied in plenty of time, submitted all my certs and CV. It was disappointing/ frustrating that I wasn't selected.

Apply now for next year. Ring IPAV and ask for Genevieve. Probably not accepting applications until March but get her to send out all the info etc.
    Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 carolp

Millpull, your almost finished your course well done.
    I've applied again this year, applications just opened last week. How did you find the course. What was the course work like as in assignments, was there group assignments. The course is really expensive is there many more payouts after fees are paid. Its a long day 9.30 - 5, Was it hard to stay focused and take in constant information for the 7.5 hours.
    Sorry for all the questions. Really hope I get accepted this year.
    Best of luck with the remainder of the course and well done

• Registered Users Posts: 15 carolp

Did anyone get an offer this time round ?

I did, can't believe it. Really delighted. Now to pay for it :)

Millpull did you find it difficult to secure a work placement. Are they very strict on the 9 hours a week work placement ? Not sure how I'll fit this in working full time in a different industry

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

Hi, im looking to apply this year for the same course. Can you tell me how your first year has went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Triona30

Hi, im looking to apply this year for the same course. Can you tell me how your first year has went?

Hi, i did apply for this course myself this year! Has anyone heard back about the decision yet? Good luck to all!

Good luck, The places are allocated once the closing date passes. I think it might July.

I’ve heard poor feedback on the IT Tallaght course from people on here and colleagues that have done it or currently doing it. Some of the lecturers not up to scratch. College subs as they couldn’t get full lecturers in that particular area.

I’ve heard poor feedback on the IT Tallaght course from people on here and colleagues that have done it or currently doing it. Some of the lecturers not up to scratch. College subs as they couldn’t get full lecturers in that particular area.

Really, that's disappointing to hear. I haven't come across them trends. There isnt many part-time opitions in this area but looks like the best course to get your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Triona30

Damn! That’s not great to hear! But what other options is there? Did u get ur license elsewhere or u decided to study smth else?

I’m just starting well career change after 20 years. I’m about to start the 2 year apprenticeship with Ballsbridge college which will get me my license. 4 days in work with the Tuesday in college. Just didn’t fancy going to college 2 nights a week or all day Saturday.

2 girls in office one just completed the IT Tallaght course and 1 just finished her first year both said certain lecturers weren’t worth, just played videos and had no knowledge but hey they will still get their license. Had feed back on here too from someone hoping they could set up business after qualifying but was disappointed with course.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

I’m just starting well career change after 20 years. I’m about to start the 2 year apprenticeship with Ballsbridge college which will get me my license. 4 days in work with the Tuesday in college. Just didn’t fancy going to college 2 nights a week or all day Saturday.

2 girls in office one just completed the IT Tallaght course and 1 just finished her first year both said certain lecturers weren’t worth, just played videos and had no knowledge but hey they will still get their license. Had feed back on here too from someone hoping they could set up business after qualifying but was disappointed with course.

Hi, I'm considering the same, after 20 years in a different career too :)
    I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind?
    Have you been accepted by the college? Was it difficult to get on the course?
    Also, do you need to arrange the employer to support the apprenticeship yourself or does the college do this?
    Thanks, and good luck!

Col_30 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm considering the same, after 20 years in a different career too :)
    I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind?
    Have you been accepted by the college? Was it difficult to get on the course?
    Also, do you need to arrange the employer to support the apprenticeship yourself or does the college do this?
    Thanks, and good luck!

Yes accepted by the college however I have nothing in writing yet. However I’ve spoken to them couple of times. My name is on the list along with employer. That goes to SOLAS who fund the course and send out confirmation.

Not difficult to get on. But you need to find employer yourself who is willing to do it that way, 4 days working and 1 day in college. College send out CV to potential employers however I never heard from any employer through college. Contacted employers.

Advertisement