Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Spaid87 wrote: »
    Has anybody got an email to say the will not progress any further? Just wondering if I'm still in with a chance? Thanks

Same here, no good/bad news yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jdelaney93

Has anybody got an email to say the will not progress any further? Just wondering if I'm still in with a chance? Thanks

Nothing either. I’m wishfull thinking here, but it’s possible there will be more rounds of tests the following week so I’m keeping an open mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

khaldrogo wrote:
    Anyone get a confirmation email in regards to next weeks test time they asked for?

^ anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

khaldrogo wrote: »
    ^ anyone?

not yet

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

I'm not expecting any email until the assessments next week have taken place and Irish Rail have had time to analyse the results. Hopefully those who don't actually want the job will have the decency to drop out at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

I'm not expecting any email until the assessments next week have taken place and Irish Rail have had time to analyse the results. Hopefully those who don't actually want the job will have the decency to drop out at this stage.

Do you think they are calling the top scorers first? I know with the civil service you get shown what number you placed. At least with that you can see if you have a hope of getting called for interview or not

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

Hello lads. Anyone hear anything outside Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jdelaney93

tobey wrote: »

I requested the Cork depot. Yet to hear anything. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

Jdelaney93 wrote: »
    I requested the Cork depot. Yet to hear anything. Fingers crossed.

Nothing from waterford anyway

Now that we see it seems to be moving along quickly can an existing driver give us a bit more insight into exactly what the role entails. What a typical day is like. The typical shift patterns. How far in advance can you request annual leave? Are certain times of the year off limits in terms of holidays etc ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Nothing from Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Better luck next time people.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

Nothing from Waterford here either. Keep hoping they haven't gotten outside the pale yet

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Rootsblower

Now that we see it seems to be moving along quickly can an existing driver give us a bit more insight into exactly what the role entails. What a typical day is like. The typical shift patterns. How far in advance can you request annual leave? Are certain times of the year off limits in terms of holidays etc ???

Typical day varies greatly depot to depot so there is no typical day.

Every depot has turns of duty starting at different times some are 7 hour days some can be 9 hr days. Some depots have night work others don’t. Some depots have a week of the roster with only assigned rest days and you won’t know what your hours will be till the week before and even then it can change.

You can apply for holidays far in advance as u like but doesn’t mean u get them. Generally each depot has a winter and summer leave roster where you’re allocated leave, which rotates every year. The only time off you’re absolutely 100% guaranteed is these assigned weeks any other leave applied for is in the lap of the Gods.

I guess what you can take from this is every depot is different.

If you value the same routine every week and like your weekends and bank holidays off I’d consider a different career.

The role itself can be quite challenging. There’s loads of rules stuff to learn. There’s also loads of technical stuff about the actual trains to know too.
    In my estimation it takes about 5 years to become fully proficient at it and even then old heads around the place will be telling you stuff you didn’t know.

Nice job but it’s more of a lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Better luck next time people.

Did you get a rejection email?

Typical day varies greatly depot to depot so there is no typical day.

Every depot has turns of duty starting at different times some are 7 hour days some can be 9 hr days. Some depots have night work others don’t. Some depots have a week of the roster with only assigned rest days and you won’t know what your hours will be till the week before and even then it can change.

You can apply for holidays far in advance as u like but doesn’t mean u get them. Generally each depot has a winter and summer leave roster where you’re allocated leave, which rotates every year. The only time off you’re absolutely 100% guaranteed is these assigned weeks any other leave applied for is in the lap of the Gods.

I guess what you can take from this is every depot is different.

If you value the same routine every week and like your weekends and bank holidays off I’d consider a different career.

The role itself can be quite challenging. There’s loads of rules stuff to learn. There’s also loads of technical stuff about the actual trains to know too.
    In my estimation it takes about 5 years to become fully proficient at it and even then old heads around the place will be telling you stuff you didn’t know.

Nice job but it’s more of a lifestyle

Thanks for the insight, this may seem silly, but does it ever occur where you may have to stay overnight down the country? Or will you always return to base before the end of your shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I got an email an hour ago in response to my request for a time slot for the test next week. Just saying they received my email and look forward to seeing me next week.
    Thanks for the insight, this may seem silly, but does it ever occur where you may have to stay overnight down the country? Or will you always return to base before the end of your shift?

This is a great question, was wondering this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Do you think they are calling the top scorers first? I know with the civil service you get shown what number you placed. At least with that you can see if you have a hope of getting called for interview or not

That would be my assumption, yes.
    Although I think most posters here have been proven wrong when stating how exactly this process will work, so we're all only guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

You usually get a taxi if needed to get home, would need to be extreme to put you up in a hotel. Try not to break your train and everything will be grand!

I got an email an hour ago in response to my request for a time slot for the test next week

Congratulations, I'm still waiting on the confirmation email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Rootsblower

You’ll always return to base each night unless

1. You transfer to Portlaoise perway depot but you better hire a hit man to get in there!

2. Your in a depot where you relieve an outlying depot e.g Heuston relieve in Portlaoise railcar depot and you start and finish there instead of your home base.

Anyone pick a day and time next week but not got confirmation email?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

mario84s wrote: »
    Anyone pick a day and time next week but not got confirmation email?

I only e-mailed there about 30 mins ago, no reply yet. I wouldn't stress, they can always em-mail you back in the evening or possibly early Monday. The cut off time was 17:00pm deadline for us to apply, not for them to reply to us!

I only e-mailed there about 30 mins ago, no reply yet. I wouldn't stress, they can always em-mail you back in the evening or possibly early Monday. The cut off time was 17:00pm deadline for us to apply, not for them to reply to us!

yeah true, i was just a little worried as another user here said they got confirmation email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I replied to the email today at 10:07 and have yet to receive confirmation

I reckon Monday

I reckon Monday

Fingers crossed. Does anyone know when these 100 positions are actually commencing work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Whats it like if you want to book a day or even a wkend off, I like to go to 2/3 footie wkends across the water a year, I'd hate to have to give that up, there's more to life then money

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mandik

Did anyone get a rejection email yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

veronymus wrote: »
    Got invited to the next stage of testing. I applied in the 4th January and completed stage 2 on 13th.

This is completely out of left field for me. I studied law for several years and was in the process of doing the FE1 exams but decided to give up as I never truly wanted to be a solicitor.

My boyfriend phoned me after hearing about this campaign on the radio and he said he thought of me straight away (I’m very comfortable with my own company). Since then I’ve fallen in love with the idea of being a train driver (I’m also a realist and I know it’s a long process). Whatever happens however, the mere process of applying has made me broaden my horizons.

Good luck to you all and thanks to many of you for the very helpful responses.

We will soon knock that love of train driving out of ya😂best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mala1313

Were the result of stage 2 out already? I heard nothing yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mala1313

Galway nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JellyMelly

Nothing here for Sligo yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Do newbies get to drive the 071 trains.

Tbh the sound they make is whats made me want to apply. From a young age.

Although its not looking likely at the moment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If I promise to stop slagging off CIE will they let me drive their trains?

Do newbies get to drive the 071 trains.

Tbh the sound they make is whats made me want to apply. From a young age.

Although its not looking likely at the moment .

Probally depends on location and the need. Chances are DMU training followed by loco if the depot uses them regularly or more experienced drivers retire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

Does anyone know if they took CVs for all 100 drivers now are is that being done in stages. Press releases stated 100 jobs over 4-5 years so wondering if they will re advertise job again in say 6 months to a year down the road ?

They are hardly going to offer all the jobs now.....or did they ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭.G.

They haven't taken anyone's CV. They're are running tests to narrow down the applicants find suitable people first, CVs etc will happen once they've done that.

More than 17500 people have applied so I'd be amazed if they can't get 100 suitable people from a pool that size. I highly doubt they'll advertise again but that said, are many people who applied this time willing to wait around for a job for a few years? Not likely either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

Ah well I will keep an eye out. Missed hearing about these jobs until it was too late :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

superg wrote: »
    They haven't taken anyone's CV. They're are running tests to narrow down the applicants find suitable people first, CVs etc will happen once they've done that.

More than 17500 people have applied so I'd be amazed if they can't get 100 suitable people from a pool that size. I highly doubt they'll advertise again but that said, are many people who applied this time willing to wait around for a job for a few years? Not likely either.

According to my next door neighbour who is a train driver with IR, they were told just under 10,000 applied and that nearly half that never got passed stage one, dunno how true it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Panels usually remain live for 2 years. Or until all vacancies are filled.

Everyone that passed stage two will be called to reaffirm their score by taking the tests again. I imagine this will cut more numbers as you can be sure lots got assistance with answering.added to this stage 3 will have some extra tests which will cut numbers even further.

Stage 4 should consist of application form/cv again some may be cut at this stage.

Stage 5 will be interview, more will be cut from this. Those that get through interview will be placed on panel in order of merit, and offered positions based on their place on the panel

• Advertisement

Has anyone received any rejection email yet that hasn’t heard back from stage two?

I’d of thought they would have reopened the application again in the future, if they are taking on over 4-5 years, and taking on only a few batches at a time, they would hardly go over old applications from people who may no longer be interested or even alive? Maybe I’m wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭.G.

billie1b wrote:
    According to my next door neighbour who is a train driver with IR, they were told just under 10,000 applied and that nearly half that never got passed stage one, dunno how true it is

One of the drivers in this thread told us 17500 had applied up to the Friday which was a week and a half before the deadline so it could easily way more than even the 17500.

Anyone get confirmation of their assessment time?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

dar100 wrote: »
    Panels usually remain live for 2 years. Or until all vacancies are filled.

Everyone that passed stage two will be called to reaffirm their score by taking the tests again. I imagine this will cut more numbers as you can be sure lots got assistance with answering.added to this stage 3 will have some extra tests which will cut numbers even further.

Stage 4 should consist of application form/cv again some may be cut at this stage.

Stage 5 will be interview, more will be cut from this. Those that get through interview will be placed on panel in order of merit, and offered positions based on their place on the panel

Great to have such an expert on everything on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Clever8619 wrote: »
    Great to have such an expert on everything on this thread.

Feeling threatened for your user name?

Firstly, this is how all civil and public services including semi state institutions run campaigns for potential candidates, I've been through the process previously.

Secondly, I'm trained in psychometric assessment , personality and occupational, both of which are utilised in this campaign.

I'm far from an expert on everything, that said, if you don't want the helpful advise that I have taken time to compile, that's fine. However, your little smart remarks based on your low self esteem and inferiority complex are not welcome.

In other words, touch on pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭CiboC

I replied on the evening of the 17th and they confirmed at lunchtime on the 18th.....

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Meanman

Just wondering does anyone know what would be the best site to go on to purchase practice tests. They are such a big part of all public service jobs nowadays it would be money well spent.

thanks for info

I applied more out of curiosity around the tests involved. I should have put down Dublin but didn’t. Would be nice to have given first and second preference. I am fairly confident about the tests and doing the job but suspect a minor medical thing will rule me out.

The questions should be issued to existing drivers as a small few could do with a refresher about what the company are looking for....

Its really an eye opener about what the company want to portray but the reality is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

Replied Friday afternoon, did not get a confirmation e-mail yet. I hope I will get an e-mail tomorrow as they probably knocked off early on the Friday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement