Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Are there any lines/trains that people prefer to be driving?
    What about doing freight runs? Is that only for the highly experienced drivers or is it very unsocial work hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jdelaney93

Best of luck to all who got emails. I’m hoping there possibly calling people by the depot as I’m yet to hear anyone be called from Cork. Keep me posted lads and ladies.

Also anyone receive a rejection email ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 clare3

Anyone for Limerick hear anything? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

it looks like they are making seperate panels, dublin first etc

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

I still have not got a confirmation email with regards to a time slot on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I'm starting to worry....they still haven't confirmed the assessment time I chose. I've taken the time off work so if they don't confirm I'm still going to show up!

I emailed them last Fri to say what time I wanted but I didn't confirm I had received the practice info. They emailed me confirming they got my emailed and asking for me to confirm I got the practice info. I emailed them right back and confirmed everything but they never replied to say whether the time I picked was ok or not.

Is anyone else still waiting for their time to be confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

dar100 wrote: »
    Feeling threatened for your user name?

Firstly, this is how all civil and public services including semi state institutions run campaigns for potential candidates, I've been through the process previously.

Secondly, I'm trained in psychometric assessment , personality and occupational, both of which are utilised in this campaign.

I'm far from an expert on everything, that said, if you don't want the helpful advise that I have taken time to compile, that's fine. However, your little smart remarks based on your low self esteem and inferiority complex are not welcome.

In other words, touch on pal

Wow. Thanks for the detailed response. Which actually shows your low self esteem and inferiority complex. I'm guessing even with your broad knowledge of recruitment processes relating to the Civil Service you've not yet made the grade in one of these competitions.

Good luck in this one.

PS name is a typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I'm starting to worry....they still haven't confirmed the assessment time I chose. I've taken the time off work so if they don't confirm I'm still going to show up!

I emailed them last Fri to say what time I wanted but I didn't confirm I had received the practice info. They emailed me confirming they got my emailed and asking for me to confirm I got the practice info. I emailed them right back and confirmed everything but they never replied to say whether the time I picked was ok or not.

Is anyone else still waiting for their time to be confirmed?

I'm starting to think they didn't get my email. I replied late Friday, I informed them I received the practice info and asked for a time on Friday. I got no email at all since, not even a confirmation one :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'm starting to think they didn't get my email. I replied late Friday, I informed them I received the practice info and asked for a time on Friday. I got no email at all since, not even a confirmation one :/

Same here, I'd say their just trying to get through them been so many

Forget everything I just said.....got the email just now......roll on Friday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Toashty91

I replied really late on Friday but I got the email today. Don't worry guys, sit tight! Best of luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

Got my confirmation email just shy of 5pm, Dublin. Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Has anyone outside of Dublin heard anything or is it only the people who applied for the Dublin depot?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Applied for Dublin and got neither acceptance or rejection. But in time I'm sure I will hear, hold tight and have patience all :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

I have not heard anything yet, I selected 'Dublin' as my preferred depot. As Eddie commented 'hold tight'. The cream always rises to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

t8010789 wrote: »
    I have not heard anything yet, I selected 'Dublin' as my preferred depot. As Eddie commented 'hold tight'. The cream always rises to the top.

Ya, I’m just trying to figure out if they’re dealing with people in the Dublin depot first. Haven’t heard of anyone outside of Dublin getting accepted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Anyone any rejection emails yet? Hope is slipping away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JellyMelly

Anyone any rejection emails yet? Hope is slipping away :(

No rejection letter since having done the tests but my husband had applied too and didn’t get the opportunity to do the tests; he got a rejection email soon after applying to say he wasn’t suited so I’m assuming they will have some sort of automatic generic email that will let you know you don’t meet the req level at each stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oscar1978

Howdy new here .... I did the first two tests on line awaiting to hear back , my preference is for Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

Good luck to anyone doing the assessments at the centre. I've got mine tomorrow, I'm a little nervous not gona lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Ais123 wrote: »
    Good luck to anyone doing the assessments at the centre. I've got mine tomorrow, I'm a little nervous not gona lie.

Good luck for tomorrow. I've mine on Friday and I'm all a quiver whenever I think of of it (not in a good way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Good luck with it

Be sure to report back tomorrow evening with everything !

Be a good help for us in on Friday ! :)

Thanks guys. The main part I am nervous about is the memorising, I imagine the text piece is going to be long if it's 30q to answer, so I'm hoping I don't get bogged down memorising the wrong things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

I applied for Dublin I'm waiting the results of the online tests aswell the wait is a killer.
    Anyone know how many years you have to do to get a pension and what the pension is like ??

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Jake5991 wrote: »
    I applied for Dublin I'm waiting the results of the online tests aswell the wait is a killer.
    Anyone know how many years you have to do to get a pension and what the pension is like ??

40 years service for full pension €172 per week, you contribute €30 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fanningb

congrats to all who got put through to the assessment centre this week, I am slowly losing any hope regarding a positive response after hearing nothing since the online tests but just out of curiosity, of those who made it further roughly how far down the 3 big walls of letters did ye get?
    I am sure that is where I was the weakest out of the 3 tests as I may have placed too much emphasis on accuracy as opposed to speed so would be good to have a benchmark to work towards if the opportunity to apply ever arises again...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

All those "losing hope" posts are a little premature guys/gals. These tests a few lucky people are taking this week will be the first of many.

I currently work in the Civil Service and have been through all this before. You could be waiting 18-24 months before actually starting. The amount of people who apply for these jobs is massive. The recruitment process is staggered. Some will do interviews and start months before others. Just bed in for a long wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/career-opportunities-at-iarnrod-eireann#Finance%20Graduate
    Finance Graduate Programme
    Hoping to get your career in accounting and finance off to flyer? Well look no further than our Graduate Finance Programme, tailored to help ambitious graduates put their best foot forward and gain invaluable experience with a dynamic industry leader.

Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail’s exciting two-year programme will help you develop the skills to accelerate your personal growth and career progression.
    If you make the cut, you’ll be joining an organisation that greatly values our people. We believe in recognising, supporting and nurturing those with the aptitude and attitude to succeed.

With the programme set to start in Summer 2019, we’re offering structured placements within the finance departments of our three main businesses: Railway Operations, Railway Infrastructure and Shared Services.

There, you’ll be given a dedicated mentor, have the chance to master a suite of business analytics tools, broaden your experience in all IÉ business units and receive best practice, leading edge assessment.

Benefits include:

Competitive salary (€39,163 in year 1, 41,528 in year 2)
    25 days annual leave
    Paid CIMA membership
    Paid study and exam leave
    Cycle to work scheme
    Health and Wellness programme
    What we’re looking for:

2.1 Level 8 Honours Degree in Finance or Accountancy (achieved/from May 2019)
    A highly motivated self-starter
    A passion for learning and development
    Strong interpersonal and communication skills
    A high degree of integrity and commitment
    A positive approach to challenging roles and responsibilities
    Apply

Candidates will be selected through an ability test and personality questionnaire, with a shortlist invited to the interview process.
    If you are interested in the programme, please send your Curriculum Vitae and cover letter to Linda Allen at ietalentmanagement@irishrail.ie

Is this for existing employees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Is this for existing employees?

All vacancies listed on website are open to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jdelaney93

Anyone doing the assessment tomorrow I would love if you could ask staff are they assessing depot by depot and people participating what depot they picked.

Haven’t heard anyone outside Dublin receiving an email for assessment yet.

Thanks in advance

Best of luck to those in tomorrow and Friday.

Had mine today, the assessor said the results of today would be out ASAP and if successful the next stage is next week.

I did ask if we would hear if we failed and she wasn't sure, so not sure if that helps anyone still waiting from the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oscar1978

Had mine today, the assessor said the results of today would be out ASAP and if successful the next stage is next week.

I did ask if we would hear if we failed and she wasn't sure, so not sure if that helps anyone still waiting from the first round.

Not looking good for the rest of us mere mortals.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Oscar1978 wrote: »
    Not looking good for the rest of us mere mortals.

Agreed . I think Irish Rail aren’t too worried about the unsuccessful. They could at least let people know at this stage .

Ais123 wrote:

How did you find it? Any surprises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Applied to Waterford, did the two stages. Nothing back yet.

Well done. Thanks for updating us. We’re there many in attendance?

I never heard back since completing stage two, the fact stage 4 is next week has shattered hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Well done. Thanks for updating us. We’re there many in attendance?

I never heard back since completing stage two, the fact stage 4 is next week has shattered hope.

These jobs are over the next 5 years so don’t loose hope yet.
    I’d say there will be 3 driving classes this year( Dart and Diesel) the max I have seen on a course is 9. There’s plenty of time still for all of ye.

To those from outside Dublin who applied, the Dublin depots are critically short of drivers so the first few classes will probably be Dublin drivers exclusively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Daz_ wrote: »
    Agreed . I think Irish Rail aren’t too worried about the unsuccessful. They could at least let people know at this stage .

It's good practice and prudent from their perspective to keep their options open. It seems like they selected the highest scores for an initial process. They may not fill all positions from that pool. In the event they don't, then they can return to test results at stage 2 and bring another batch of applicants forward. Rinse and repeat. Staggering the hiring and training process over a long period is advantageous in terms of quality of outcome, even if it is more expensive.

It might be arguable that they could take a certain percentile and inform them their application was rejected - i.e. scores at stage 2 too low for them to ever be happy with them proceeding forward. But if you work in strict terms of priority, then keeping as many applicants "live" for as long as possible is good strategy.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's good practice and prudent from their perspective to keep their options open. It seems like they selected the highest scores for an initial process. They may not fill all positions from that pool. In the event they don't, then they can return to test results at stage 2 and bring another batch of applicants forward. Rinse and repeat. Staggering the hiring and training process over a long period is advantageous in terms of quality of outcome, even if it is more expensive.

It might be arguable that they could take a certain percentile and inform them their application was rejected - i.e. scores at stage 2 too low for them to ever be happy with them proceeding forward. But if you work in strict terms of priority, then keeping as many applicants "live" for as long as possible is good strategy.

I don’t think keeping options on all 17k applicants for 100 or so jobs is good practice tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don’t think keeping options on all 17k applicants for 100 or so jobs is good practice tbh.

They're not keeping options open on all applicants. The first stage cut will have been significant.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They're not keeping options open on all applicants. The first stage cut will have been significant.

Yet there doesn’t seem to have been any “unsuccessful “ communication from them to that “significant “ number

I think I recall one lady saying her husband had passed stage one and didn’t complete stage two and got a rejection email. If someone can find it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

I think I recall one lady saying her husband had passed stage one and didn’t complete stage two and got a rejection email. If someone can find it

Yes, the husband didn't sit the second set of testing. Maybe those who didn't sit the testing were went out an automatically generated rejection email?

Two friends of mine both got rejection emails

1 from the first stage

2 from the second stage

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Guys seriously. Chill. There is a tiny pool of people here in comparison to the overall amount that would have done stage one and two. You may not hear for months and months on end.

Not hearing anything for now is better than receiving a rejection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Over 25k applications last I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Guys seriously. Chill. There is a tiny pool of people here in comparison to the overall amount that would have done stage one and two. You may not hear for months and months on end.

Not hearing anything for now is better than receiving a rejection.

Did the 2 rounds for Waterford, nothing back yet and no rejection email either which is looking good to be fair.

To be honest I don't know if I'd take it, if I got offered it. Have a while to think about it anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement