Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oscar1978

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Guys seriously. Chill. There is a tiny pool of people here in comparison to the overall amount that would have done stage one and two. You may not hear for months and months on end.

Not hearing anything for now is better than receiving a rejection.

That friend is true.... sayin goes no news is good news ( to an extent) 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

turdball wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd take it, if I got offered it.

why's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

mario84s wrote: »
    why's that?

Keeping the option open is all. No real reason.

turdball wrote: »
    Keeping the option open is all.

Don't know what your current employment status is, and that's your own business, but if I was unemployed at the moment, and got offered this job, I'd jump on it like a hot snot. Even if don't pass the eventual 30 odd weeks of classroom training, it'd be worth it, not just from financial point, but from the training point of view. Even if employed, I'd jump on it.

As for the tests that took place today, pretty much the same as the online ones but little harder now. The two instructors were brilliant today, they even took time explaining how each section is done to a few people on a one to one basis.

For all those attending tomorrow, best of luck, and from what I saw today, if you've anything unclear, don't be afraid to ask a question.

For those still waiting on any email, no news is good news.

mario84s wrote: »
    Don't know what your current employment status is, and that's your own business, but if I was unemployed at the moment, and got offered this job, I'd jump on it like a hot snot. Even if don't pass the eventual 30 odd weeks of classroom training, it'd be worth it, not just from financial point, but from the training point of view. Even if employed, I'd jump on it.

As for the tests that took place today, pretty much the same as the online ones but little harder now. The two instructors were brilliant today, they even took time explaining how each section is done to a few people on a one to one basis.

For all those attending tomorrow, best of luck, and from what I saw today, if you've anything unclear, don't be afraid to ask a question.

For those still waiting on any email, no news is good news.

I'm full time employed in a decent job. Not earning the starting salary but close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Anyone who did the tests today have any info to give or tips or insights??

Was the place easy to find? Was it obvious where you had to go. Was there ample parking. How long was the process altogether? Did you have any interviews with anyone or was it just the tests?

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Anyone who did the tests today have any info to give or tips or insights??

practice practice practice... read and reread the email and the attached sample questions. they do say it's 3 tests but you may be asked to do an interview, but that's all in the email.

the incident report test was by far the hardest, they play it twice but the guy gives so much info, you're allowed to take notes and make your report based on this, but there's so much info given it may be hard to keep up.

place was easy to find, narrow street last 200-300 metres. google maps will lead you straight to the front gate, plenty parking as far as i could see, i got the Luas near to it, then a 10 min walk...

oh and it lasted about 2 hours.

We're any of you asked for proof of address??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

We're any of you asked for proof of address??

Yep the very first thing they ask you for is your id and proof of address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

Ais123 wrote: »
    Yep the very first thing they ask you for is your id and proof of address

bank statement is sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

bank statement is sufficient?

That’s what I used. No need to copy them. They check them, make a note of them, then hand them back to you. I presume it’s just to verify you are who you say you are and that you’re a resident in Ireland.

Is it the training center at the back I have to go to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Is it the training center at the back I have to go to?

Seems so, gang of people standing around you won't miss.

See you soon ! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Those attending today/yesterday, was there many females or has the ability of a person rightfully dictated selection.

2 in my group

2 in my group

how did you find the test today?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clever8619

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Those attending today/yesterday, was there many females or has the ability of a person rightfully dictated selection.

Bitter much

So. 3 separate sections of tests.

1. Read 5 sections of rules and regulations for a made up company. 10 mins to memorize about a million things. Answer questions based on the rules and regulations.

2. Switches and dials.
    What order do the switches and dials need to be switched in. 43 questions in 8 mins.

3. Listen to a phone msg about a crash twice. Take notes. Use the notes to write a report. Also, read a report of faults on a train and fill in a check sheet while being able to reference the report.

• Advertisement

For me the first stage was the most tricky. Stage 2 + 3 were easy enough.

We'll see I suppose!!!!

So. 3 separate sections of tests.

1. Read 5 sections of rules and regulations for a made up company. 10 mins to memorize about a million things. Answer questions based on the rules and regulations.

2. Switches and dials.
    What order do the switches and dials need to be switched in. 43 questions in 8 mins.

3. Listen to a phone msg about a crash twice. Take notes. Use the notes to write a report. Also, read a report of faults on a train and fill in a check sheet while being able to reference the report.

wrote it much better than i did anyway!

Clever8619 wrote: »
    Bitter much

Why would I be bitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭veronymus

Not many females present at my session Jamie but I think that may indicate that less females applied rather than any indication that we are not able.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Over 25k applications last I heard.

You can quadruple that number!

veronymus wrote: »
    Not many females present at my session Jamie but I think that may indicate that less females applied rather than any indication that we are not able.

No issues with female drivers, jobs should be based on ability not gender or ethnicity etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

No issues with female drivers, jobs should be based on ability not gender or ethnicity etc

We all want the best people for the job. That's in everyone's interest.

Your initial comment implied that if there were a lot of females present it would have been because they were let off easy because of their sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

GM228 wrote: »
    You can quadruple that number!

Lots of hearsay on it. I doubt you could quadruple it. NBRU were shouting about well over 100k application.

Thats 5 percent of the working population in Ireland want to be a train driver..

Bit far fetched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Lots of hearsay on it. I doubt you could quadruple it. NBRU were shouting about well over 100k application.

Thats 5 percent of the working population in Ireland want to be a train driver..

Bit far fetched.

Is it though ?

Could be well true for all we know

Here's a question though, one of the women there yesterday, I over heard her say she has no driving licence at all.

Is that not a requirement for this job ? For driving staff cars etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Is it though ?

Could be well true for all we know

Here's a question though, one of the women there yesterday, I over heard her say she has no driving licence at all.

Is that not a requirement for this job ? For driving staff cars etc ?

There are a few train drivers who don’t drive cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There are a few train drivers who don’t drive cars

I don't trust adults who can't drive cars. Why would you not want to have that skill?.

• Advertisement

Email today saying it would be 4-6 weeks before they will be in contact about my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Email today saying it would be 4-6 weeks before they will be in contact about my application.

Did you get to stage 2 or 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 benp

Email for me as well 4-6 weeks

Did you get to stage 2 or 3?

Did stage 1 (questions) and 2 (questions and letter picking thing) a few days before it closed.

Did stage 1 (questions) and 2 (questions and letter picking thing) a few days before it closed.

Cool so its saying 4-6 weeks to hear back about stage 2?

Cool so its saying 4-6 weeks to hear back about stage 2?

Would appear so.

Same, Waterford by any chance?

We all want the best people for the job. That's in everyone's interest.

Your initial comment implied that if there were a lot of females present it would have been because they were let off easy because of their sex.

Perhaps, saying that if there was 50% female at the test center it would raise questions about the selection process.

You would be surprised, plenty of jobs are given on other things than skill and ability.

Yeah got a similar email to everyone else 4-6 weeks. We are still in the hunt.

No email here. About 4-6 weeks. What time did ya’s get these emails?

• Advertisement

14.19 to be precise

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭It wasnt me

Just got mine there,
    It doesn't look good to be honest
    I had a similar experience when i applied to transdev as a luas driver and although i did get the job it was more of who i knew.
    I think i messed up test 3 on stage 2 to be honest aswell.

Around 13.50

Just got mine there,
    It doesn't look good to be honest
    I had a similar experience when i applied to transdev as a luas driver and although i did get the job it was more of who i knew.
    I think i messed up test 3 on stage 2 to be honest aswell.

I wouldn’t think it looks bad. The fact they emailed you is something. Clearly they are only emailing those who are still being considered. Me not receiving one shows they are not sending it to everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Got an email , I'll hear more in 4-6 weeks. So still in with a chance even if it's slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Got the we'll be back in 4-6 wks email, so does that just mean they haven't looked at my application yet

I wouldn’t think it looks bad. The fact they emailed you is something. Clearly they are only emailing those who are still being considered. Me not receiving one shows they are not sending it to everyone

And again i can assure you i recieved a similar reply from transdev some years before while others recieved nothing.
    It was basically letting people know that thanks we have a huge interest but have the required number going forward.

And again i can assure you i recieved a similar reply from transdev some years before while others recieved nothing.
    It was basically letting people know that thanks we have a huge interest but have the required number going forward.

But why not send a rejection email then?

But why not send a rejection email then?

I cant answer that because ive no idea how HR or the likes of OPC work.
    All i can share is my experince of something similar that happened to me,I'll be proved right or wrong in 4-6 weeks time
    Check your spam/junk folders and keep refreshing.
    Hopefully something comes through for you anyway.

• Advertisement

I cant answer that because ive no idea how HR or the likes of OPC work.
    All i can share is my experince of something similar that happened to me,I'll be proved right or wrong in 4-6 weeks time
    Check your spam/junk folders and keep refreshing.
    Hopefully something comes through for you anyway.

Cheers. Have checked them all but nothing. I guess I’d be happy though getting something confirming I am still being considered rather than no email. Thinking they may be possibly scheduling a rejection email to come maybe I’m on that one.

Advertisement